https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (23.08.10)

Started by White Noise, August 22, 2010, 08:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=5639.0

Hangeland at the Rescue, as Fulham's Midfield Dominates

After two relatively easy home matches against United on the trot, you had to be a little concerned that there might be some backlash today. I whistled past the graveyard as loudly as possible while predicting a 4-0 victory that I never believed would happen. As The Washington Senators sang in Damn Yankees, "You gotta have heart."

I'd seen United calmly dissect Newcastle in their opener. I'd seen Paul Scholes play as brilliantly in central mid as any Englishman not named Danny Murphy in quite a while. Newcastle sat back, jaws agape, and let him dictate the script play-by-play. If we allowed that to happen, we were going to be in serious trouble. And, for the first 20 minutes or so, that's exactly what happened.

Never mind the quality of his goal, feel the width of Scholes control over proceedings early on in the match. With Hernandez turning Hangeland over at will [like an East Texas kid might turn over an outhouse on Halloween] and with Berbatov running through his assortment of passes, flicks, and feints, Fulham's defense had all they could handle. I thought that Konchesky and Paintsil performed reasonably on the wings, but it took Aaron Hughes's intervention to keep the score as low as it was.

In times past, we would hope that Roy would set the lads straight at half time and that we wouldn't be too far behind by that point. Under Mark Hughes, evidently, we're not going to have to wait for the tea interval anymore. Correctly diagnosing our problem as Scholes having too much time on the ball, The Boss had Dempsey and Davies drop deeper and more centrally to unsettle the United midfield. That's exactly what they did, and United never got control of it again.

In the interim, Davies started finding space for himself from touch-line to touch-line. Whether tackling back, taking up attacking positions in the penalty area, or arching passes to Zamora or Dempsey, the Welshman began to be THE player to focus on of the 22 on the pitch. His goal was just icing on the cake.

With both teams earnestly trying to win through positive means rather than negative, the match turned into a lot of fun to watch. The longer it lasted, the more it looked as if -- should anyone take the entire three points -- it would be Fulham. I've been trying to get a hold on how things will be different under Hughes, and today helped solidify three things I saw last weekend against Bolton as well as today against United.

1. Hughes evidently sees Etuhu as an attacking force. While Dickson did an admirable job last season as the "win the ball and get rid of it to Danny" guy, Hughes has him making forays into the penalty area on a regular basis. Today this resulted in several threatening runs including one in which he forced TWO world-class saves out of the eternally brilliant EVDS.

2. Hughes expects his namesake to score. Once again Aaron took a shot. I keep emphasizing this because two seasons ago he had the most minutes on the pitch of anyone in the league who didn't make an attempt. Two matches in a row, now, he's been the target man on a corner. Neither of his headers went in, but try and remember how long it took for Big Brede to connect with his head.

3. With 20 minutes left in a match where the scores are equal, Hughes does NOT declare "what we have we hold" and park the bus in front of the goal. Both last week and this week we went after it. It almost cost us our point today, but never giving up on the possibilty of taking all three made the match a brilliant one to watch. This trend certainly gives me hope of picking up some W's on the road this season. And the overall philosophy of attack is one that ensures that we'll have a lot of fun watching.

One thing I'd like to say before I go down the individual rankings. There were four or five occasions around the United box where we had a half-dozen players pinging the ball around like Arsenal. We pulled the very shakey United central defense apart and reversed the attack brilliantly. Unfortunately, also like Arsenal, we seemed hesitant to stop the artistry long enough to actually take a shot. This is where Dempsey stands out. Everyone else may be looking for someone with 1/100th of a better position to pass to, Deuce wants to make something happen.

Overall United scores:

Defense was static and shakey. Evans is a disaster waiting to happen. Too many more performances like this and Smalling may make an early league debut.
Midfield was dominant early on, but easily intimaded later. Etuhu and Murphy bullied them around -- with healthy assists by Dempsey and Dembele.
Attack was dangerous, but there was no iron there. Hernandez is a carbon copy of Arsenal's Carlos Vela. He needs a big strong boy to play off, and the only striker who fits that label for United is Macheda.

Fulham

Stockdale -- The boy had a fine match. I didn't think he had a chance of stopping Scholes goal, and the second was a text-book example of bad luck. He wasn't as dominating in the penalty area today as he was last Saturday, but that may have been a good thing. United are much more threatening than The Trotters, and sometimes it's good to stay closer to your line. Nice penalty save, eh? If he has the cool and the guts to stone United from the spot 1-2 down in the last 10 minutes, I don't think he has much to prove to anyone about his ability to play at this level.

Paintsil -- A pretty good match, but he looked a bit less effective going forward today. I'm not sure I can give specific examples why, but I thought he was a bit off today.

Hughes -- Did a stellar job covering for Hangeland when Hernandez beat Brede like a rented mule early in the match, but -- really -- this is what these two guys do for each other all the time. Specifically, I liked two of Hughes defensive headers [one in each half] that cleared the ball to the ONLY places in Craven Cottage where it wouldn't have been hammered back in immediately. The man is just a brilliant defender.

Hangeland   -- He had his weak moments, but is there anyone who didn't think he was going to get to that corner to equalize? Something else I continue to notice about the big man's game is how he'll feed attackers 30-50 yards up the pitch by dwelling on the ball until there's a clear chance of support. You watch him dominate in the air and you can forget how accurate he is with either foot when passing.

Konchesky -- I'm going to forgive him the unnecessary corner he conceded 40 yards from goal under no pressure. Instead I'm going to concentrate on how he single-handedly ruined Valencia's day. This is a very VERY dangerous right winger, and Konch frustrated him when he attacked and made him look like a joke when he tried to defend. Konch also made some good forays up the wing.

Davies -- This is my MOtM. He orchestrated the shift in control of midfield from United to us. He was all over the pitch creating, linking, finishing. What do you do when you watch a player ooze class and confidence at 120 mph? You stand up in your living room and applaud him. That's EXACTLY what I did.

Etuhu -- An excellent match. He seems to be Fulham's most improved player under Hughes -- primarily because MarkyMark is giving him more to do, and he's doing it very well. I'm predicting 5-7 goals from our defensive mid before all is said and done this season.

Murphy -- With the exception of the first few minutes where he looked like he lost his mind, I thought this was a typical Captain Danny performance against United -- in other words, dominating. I don't know if he can do this 90 minutes a week, but I thought he looked full value for money today. Like the rest of our midfield, he started off weakly, but he and his Nigerian bodyguard owned that patch of grass today.

Duff -- Duff was my bottom player today, and then he performed his best Damian Duff imitation by humiliating Evra and feeding the ball to Zamora for Zammo to feed to Davies. With the exception of that move though, I thought he was a shadow of himself. I'd be surprised if he features in either match in the coming week. He's still got the genius, but I don't know if he's got the pace or stamina still.

Dempsey -- I thought Deuce was a key player in us taking the bit between our collective teeth today. He not only supported Zamora, but he also harrassed Scholes. He was a constant menace to United's defense. I'm starting to believe that his 30 minutes last week and his 60 minutes this week is Hughes's "running in" plan for the boy. He was MOST unhappy to be substituted, but I've never seen him smile at the prospect of not finishing a match on the pitch. Perhaps he really is tired and is being fed gently into the league, but I don't think there's anything wrong with his form.

Zamora -- England's number 9 had a brilliant match. He tortured Evans and Vidic in turn, had a brilliant defensive header, laid on a gorgeous goal for Davies, and looked every bit the strong, confident #9 that England has been crying for -- face it -- since Shearer hung them up. I know Cappello was in the house. I hope he saw what I saw. And YES, I saw Andy Carroll's performance this morning, and YES, I'm still saying that Zamora deserves that shirt more than he does.

Subs: I thought Dembele looked useful, but I'm not as excited as others seem to be. Except for him earning the uncalled penalty, I thought we looked stronger with Dempsey in his place. I wonder if Mark might start him on the left wing at Blackpool. Jesus didn't really have time to impress or embarass. He did enough to show he's not Danny Murphy, but if he were, he'd have started, so ... . Gera's cameo was interesting. About 60 seconds after destroying a United attack with a quick decisive move, he destroyed a Fulham attack in the same manner. I heard that Gera missed two days training this week and that might explain why he got only 3 or so minutes of pitch time, but I wonder if Hughes doesn't see Gera in the same light that we all see him.

All in all, it was a great match. If we play like this all season, mid-table should not be unreasonable and a good cup run or two a distinct possibility. If we play like this ON THE ROAD, I think we're already good enough personnel-wise to be a top half of the table side. 

Of course, your mileage may vary; lather, rinse, repeat!   

White Noise

Jamie Redknapp weekend watch: Buzzing Zamora, flying Theo, magic Taarabt, monster Carroll and old Macdonald

By Jamie Redknapp Last updated at 8:45 PM on 22nd August 2010

That's Zamora!

The difference betweem Fulham losing and taking a point yesterday was the energy of Bobby Zamora in the second half. He was buzzing. He ran into channels, wanted the ball in behind and caused Manchester United all sorts of trouble. It was his cut-back that led to the first equaliser and he was a pest to United's back four. Ask Jonny Evans if Zamora is top class, or not.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1305234/Jamie-Redknapp-weekend-watch-Buzzing-Zamora-flying-Theo-magic-Taarabt-monster-Carroll-old-Macdonald.html#ixzz0xNE7G0uJ

White Noise

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2010/08/22/mark-hughes-hints-at-need-to-look-beyond-stockdale-64767-27116146/

Mark Hughes hints at need to look beyond Stockdale

Aug 22 2010

By Yann Tear

MARK HUGHES has made it clear he does not expect David Stockdale to fill the void on his own if Mark Schwarzer's projected move to Arsenal becomes reality.

The young keeper (pictured) had an afternoon to remember at Craven Cottage – saving a Nani penalty and paving the way for the late Fulham rally that salvaged a point for the Whites.

But the new boss sounded a note of caution even as he was praising the 24-year-old – who spent half last season on loan at Plymouth.

"David's done very well today," Hughes said. "His penalty save maybe gave us that little bit of belief that we needed to kick on and try and get that equaliser.

"He's a good young keeper and we've been really impressed with what we've seen in the time we've been here and he's been one of the star men in both games he's played.

"We're pleased with what he's producing but it's always difficult for a young keeper. Initially they can get by on their ability and enthusiasm, but at times it's difficult to keep them in for long periods because it can hamper their development, so we've got to be careful with him."

Hughes added that he did not think it inevitable that his Aussie keeper would leave and said his back injury rather than tension with his employers kept him out of Sunday's game.

"It's not a foregone conclusion," Hughes said. "In fairness the boy's not fit at the moment. He trained yesterday but felt discomfort, so he was never an option today.

"I think we're all aware that there's some interest being expressed by Arsenal in Mark and why wouldn't there be, because he's an outstanding goalkeeper and they obviously feel they have an issue with the goalkeeping position.

"From my point of view, I've got to protect Fulham football club and make sure we're not weakened by any departures from this club."

Hughes was understandably delighted with the spirit shown by his team in the 2-2 draw with Man United.

"I'm delighted with the application and spirit that the side showed," he said. "They've shown a lot of character in the last couple of years and it's still very much in evidence."

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/7943291/Fulham-2-Manchester-United-2-match-report.html

Fulham 2 Manchester United 2: match report

Read a full match preview of the Premier League game between Fulham and Manchester United at Craven Cottage on Sunday Aug 22 2010.       

By Henry Winter

Published: 5:00PM BST 22 Aug 2010

Mind the gap. The warning to Manchester United fans travelling on the Tube to Craven Cottage on Sunday will have rung even more painfully in their ears on the way back to Euston. Chelsea lie two points clear at the top of the Premier League table and United must beware the ruthless champions stretching their lead.

They think it's all over before it's really started? Not quite, but it almost feels like it. There's a very long way to go in the title race, nine months of negotiating injuries, suspensions and fluctuations of form, but Nani's missed penalty three minutes from time could prove hugely significant come the final reckoning in May.

The fixtures computer gave Chelsea a relatively smooth entry to the season. Their next three games are Stoke City (home), West Ham United (away) and Blackpool (home) before the major challenges of Manchester City (away) and Arsenal (home).

Chelsea have hit the ground running while United, their main rivals, stumbled. Sir Alex Ferguson's side appeared in control when Paul Scholes gave them the lead, but Fulham never gave up. Simon Davies equalised and when Brede Hangeland conceded an own goal, Fulham refused to surrender, Hangeland earning quick redemption with a powerful header.

The key moment came at 87 minutes, with the score at 2-1. Damien Duff handled and Nani seized the chance to take the penalty. Nani knows best? Not here. Michael Owen was on the pitch and is deadly from 12 yards. He should have taken it. He has broken Mark Hughes' heart before, scoring late against his Manchester City side.

As Owen watched, Nani placed his kick at the perfect height for David Stockdale, whose credentials to succeed Mark Schwarzer were confirmed with a crucial save. When Hangeland then secured a deserved point for Fulham, Nani's profligacy looked even more expensive.

Afterwards, Ferguson maintained radio — and TV— silence with the BBC, a policy of non-communication stemming from an old documentary about one of his sons. His continued feud brought a "disappointed'' sigh from the Premier League, whose fines are unlikely to trouble a multi-millionaire.

Ferguson really looks rather petty.

Such was his disappointment at the dropped points, Ferguson was probably in no mood to talk to anyone, whether the man from Auntie or the Man from Uncle. Frustration would have flowed from the fact that Scholes and Dimitar Berbatov performed well with no reward, that United failed to exploit their 58 per cent possession and that Hughes, an old pupil, had made a point against him.

Ferguson's annoyance will also have stemmed from the sight of his side finishing so poorly after starting so well. Within 12 minutes they were ahead, following a corner won when Berbatov demanded an athletic save from Stockdale. United duly moved into their positions as Antonio Valencia addressed the dead ball. Fulham began marking all insurgents to their area but they ignored Scholes lurking 25 yards out.

As Berbatov laid the ball back to Scholes, Fulham realised to their horror what United were plotting. Too late. Scholes' right boot came down, thumping into the ball, sending it accelerating past Stockdale and stretching the net back on the stanchions. Arsène Wenger's right. Scholes does have a "darker side'' for opponents. He keeps hurting them with that right boot.

Among those watching Scholes and company at the Cottage was Fabio Capello, who refused to be drawn on whether he would ask Scholes to return to the England fold. A call to Mikel Arteta, Everton's Spaniard who qualifies for England under residency rules, is also considered unlikely.

"No speak, no speak,'' blustered Capello.

Even with Scholes caressing the ball around, Fulham refused to be daunted. Calling on the strong team spirit built up during the Roy Hodgson era, Hughes' side displayed grit and guile to keep United within range. Hangeland neatly steered the ball away from Javier Hernandez. Stockdale saved well from Berbatov. Hangeland blocked a Hernandez shot.

The home fans loved such defiance, raising the volume even more when Fulham started to threaten Edwin van der Sar's goal. Bobby Zamora headed wide. Van der Sar somehow denied Dickson Etuhu, pushing the ball over from point-blank range.

Shortly before the hour-mark, Van der Sar was beaten following a wonderful Fulham break down the right. Flicking the ball past Patrice Evra and spinning away in the same movement, Damien Duff dashed down the flank before teasing the ball behind Jonny Evans for Zamora to chase. Zamora's cutback was perfection, angled towards Simon Davies. The Welshman swept a low shot past Van der Sar.

United were rocked, the Cottage rocking. Ferguson sent on Nani, then Ryan Giggs and Owen. One Nani dead-ball brought joy, his 83rd-minute corner rebounding off Hangeland's shin and in before his spot of trouble. When Hangeland then headed Fulham level, the cheers will have been echoed up the Fulham Road.

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/08/22/fulham-2-2-man-utd/

Fulham 2-2 Man Utd

Filed under: Match info — weltmeisterclaude @ 6:33 pm

Thrills and spills and bellyaches at Craven Cottage this afternoon as Brede Hangeland moved to the top of my own private "Great People" list and David Stockdale made an unforgettable penalty save that he'll still be talking about when he's an old man.

We were 2-1 down when referee Peter Walton (who had a strange game) awarded United a penalty based on some kind of infraction from Damien Duff.  It looked perhaps as if Duff had handled after mis-kicking a clearance (in which case, could he have avoided the ball?).   Nani stepped up confidently and struck his kick well, but Stockdale flew to his left like a bright yellow superman and pushed the ball away.   It felt like a heart-warming irrelevance given the scoreline, but in the end proved pivotal.

Stockdale had a good game.  The afternoon's first highlight came when a spectacular bicycle kick from Berbatov was brilliantly parried away, and while he was then beaten by a 25 yard Scholes daisycutter, it didn't feel like a shot Schwarzer would've got to either.   His handling was impressive again, his kicking hefty, and I maintain that he looks more like Peter Schmeichel than any other goalkeeper in recent memory.   We are warned not to get carried away with these things, but it's nice to see young players do well.   Let's hope he gets a chance to prove himself.

Fulham almost equalised in the first half when Dempsey expertly freed Etuhu (in the box a lot again today; good man) and van der Sar was forced into two fine saves, one from a seated position.  Do you get many chances like that against Manchester United?   But happily enough we got the equaliser we deserved in the second half.  Damien Duff squirreled his way through the defence, Zamora pulled it back into the path of Simon Davies, whose shot was good enough to just about beat van der Sar.  Great work, Duff, great run, Davies.

On the hour Moussa Dembele then replaced Clint Dempsey, a nice chance to see our newest signing.  Dempsey shuffled off like a nine year old who'd had his football stickers confiscated by the teacher.  Dembele, though, justified the move with some nice work in confined spaces, a good appreciation of teammates' runs, and a couple of surprising passes that on another day have led to goalscoring chances.   Harsh on Dempsey, who had played well, but Dembele looks a shrewd signing.

So far so good then, but United went ahead again with a confusing goal from a corner.  Personally I was looking at a wasp hovering a few inches from my nose when the ball went in, but nobody around me seemed to know what had happened either.   The news later suggested a Hangeland own goal, which made his late equaliser even sweeter.

We might have had a couple of good penalty shouts in the run-up to the goal, but in the end none of this mattered, as with three minutes left Duff's high corner met Hangeland's high jump, and a convincing header beat van der Sar low to his left.  The Cottage erupted.

White Noise

Top 10 things we learned from Fulham 2-2 Manchester United

By Mirror Football in Football Banter

Published 19:26 22/08/10

Fulham and Manchester United shared the spoils after an enthralling match at Craven Cottage on Sunday.

But what did we learn from the game? Allow MirrorFootball to enlighten you...

1) Mike Phelan's Manchester United
Fergie has already angered Premier League suits by refusing to end his feud with the BBC. The United boss is continuing to boycott the broadcast giant over some petty perceived wrong that was so long ago even he has probably forgotten what it actually was. Still, on the plus side, we won't have to listen to him bang endlessly on about how good Scholes and Giggs are. And it means more time in the media spotlight for Mike 'Showbiz' Phelan, so every cloud and all that.

2) Fergie on film?
Speaking of which, Hugh Grant was spotted in the crowd at Craven Cottage sitting next to Fabio Capello. Rumour has it he is planning to make a film about Fergie's feud with the Beeb called About a Boycott.

3) Scholes for Prime Minister?
Paul Scholes' excellent display against Newcastle last week provoked an avalanche of sickly sweet sugar-coated praise from just about every quarter ( except Arsene Wenger of course ). After his goal against Fulham no doubt there will be calls to have him knighted or made Prime Minister or something, although Paul himself won't enjoy any of it. "I don't like compliments, I'd rather people have a go at me so i can prove them wrong," he told the BBC before the match. Just keep trying to tackle people Paul, you'll soon have plenty of opportunity to prove them wrong...

4) Murphy's law
But poor old Scholesy isn't the only ageing, classy midfielder to struggle with his tackling though. In fact he was on the receiving end of a very Scholes-esque challenge by Fulham captain Danny Murphy in the first half. Naturally Fergie was immediately up on his feet calling for the foul but we wouldn't for a second suggest he was being somewhat hypercritical. Well we would, but only because he doesn't know where we live.

5) O'Shea is an early contender for Rear of the Year
While Peter Walton was clearly off his rocker for awarding a penalty to Manchester United for handball when Damien Duff managed to kick the ball at his own arm as he ballsed up his clearance, the referee was right on the money when he ignored the Fulham fan's pleas for a pen at the other end for a perceived handball by John O'Shea. A replay showed the ball actually hit him on his not inconsiderable rear-end - statistically of course, a far more likely prospect in any case.

6) Brede goes from zero to hero (or is it hero to zero?)
Brede Hangeland had the fans dancing in the streets of London this evening when he scored at Craven Cottage. Sadly their celebrations were short-lived when he went and bagged one for Fulham a few minutes later.

7) Stockdale for Arsenal?
Mark Schwarzer hasn't played for Fulham yet this season as rumours persist of an imminent move to Arsenal. In his absence, 24-year-old David Stockdale has taken his place between the sticks for Fulham's opening two games and looked pretty comfortable in both, pulling off some impressive saves along the way - including the penalty save from Nani. Is Wenger pursuing the wrong keeper?

8) Oggy oggy oggy!
Who needs Rooney when you've got Own Goal in your side? United benefited from 12 oggies last season, and grabbed another today thanks to Brede Hangeland. No wonder Fergie keeps saying he doesn't need to buy any new players. The Glazers must be delighted with this innovative way of saving money.

9) The power of prayer
Javier Hernadez/Chicharito/Little Pea was seen praying in the centre circle before kick-off, but after missing that penalty it's Nani that would have been needing protection from a higher power before heading into the dressing room to face Fergie. Just make sure there were no spare boots lying around within Fergie's kicking range eh?

10) Fulham get shirty
Did you spot Fulham's latest tactic to attract more female spectators? Their new sweat-retention shirts made the whole team look like they were taking part in a wet t-shirt contest. No doubt Sepp Blatter's mind is already working overtime on the possibilities for women's football.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/football-banter/High-Grant-ponders-making-film-about-Fergie-Paul-Scholes-for-Prime-Minister-and-Fulham-start-wet-t-shirt-contest-Top-10-things-we-learned-from-Fulham-2-2-Manchester-United-article561599.html#ixzz0xNHCxLSW

White Noise

Fulham 2 Man United 2

Published: Today

Add a comment (202)

BREDE HANGELAND scored at both ends as Fulham prevented Manchester United from rejoining Chelsea at the top of the table.
United saw Paul Scholes' first-half goal cancelled out by Simon Davies before Hangeland netted an own goal six minutes from time.

Alex Ferguson's men were then gifted a penalty when Damien Duff was harshly penalised for nudging the ball onto his hand.

But Fulham stopper David Stockdale saved Nani's spot-kick and Hangeland redeemed himself in the final minute by heading home the equaliser.

United pressed hard in the opening stages and took the lead after Dimitar Berbatov's acrobatic effort was tipped over by Stockdale.

The resulting corner was worked short and the ball was rolled into the path of Scholes to thunder home his 150th United goal.

Fulham looked to hit back immediately and Davies fired over Edwin Van der Sar's goal after latching on to Bobby Zamora's knock down just a minute later.

But it was United who came close to extending the lead when Berbatov stung Stockdale's hands once again at the end of a flowing move.

Mark Hughes' Cottagers refused to cave in under pressure and Zamora should have done better than head tamely wide when he got on the end of a curling Paul Konchesky cross.

Dickson Etuhu was then left cursing his luck when Van der Sar denied him with a breathtaking double save to preserve United's lead.

Scholes came close to a second goal five minutes after the break following some good work from Antonio Valencia, who did well to a keep a move alive.

But Hangeland blocked the midfielder's goalbound effort and the hosts scrambled the ball to safety.

Fulham continued to look dangerous on the break and got their reward when Duff left Patrice Evra for dead.

The Irish winger raced away down the right before releasing Zamora, who cut the ball back for Davies to tuck home.

Both sides pushed for a winner and Ferguson went for broke by throwing Ryan Giggs and Michael Owen into the fray after sending on Nani.

With the game approaching the final 10 minutes, Nemanja Vidic headed wide for United before Zamora followed suit at the other end with a right-foot strike from Konchesky's free-kick.

Scholes continued to pull the strings for the visitors and United broke Fulham hearts six minutes from time when a corner struck Hangeland and flew into the net.

Nani then spurned the chance to extend the lead and the Portuguese winger was made to pay for his miss when Hangeland rose highest to level matters.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3106323/Fulham-2-Manchester-United-2.html#ixzz0xNI2XIg5

White Noise

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/194944/Ferguson-s-fury-as-Manchester-United-blow-it-

FERGUSON'S FURY AS MANCHESTER UNITED BLOW IT 

Sir Alex Ferguson laid into Manchester United after they let Fulham off the hook

Monday August 23,2010

By Tony Banks 

SIR ALEX Ferguson last night laid into his team after they let Fulham off the hook in a pulsating last few minutes of their 2-2 draw at Craven Cottage.

Twice a sloppy United, despite being inspired again by a superb display from Paul Scholes, led against Mark Hughes' Fulham side.

But twice they allowed the Cottagers back into the game as Brede Hangeland netted a last-minute equaliser.

Just five minutes before that strike, United could have sealed the three points only for Nani to see his poor penalty saved by Fulham goalkeeper David Stockdale – and it was that which really riled Ferguson.

United boss Ferguson said: "We had an opportunity to seal it with a penalty with a few minutes to go. Score then and you are home and dry. But the height is crucial to a penalty and it was a bad height. I thought Ryan Giggs should have taken it – in the last game Ryan scored two penalties and Nani was on the pitch.

"You don't want to be dropping silly points – and we dropped silly points here. We can't escape that. We didn't take the opportunity. But to be fair to Fulham, they fought well."

United took the lead through Scholes' 150th goal for the club, but allowed Simon Davies to level the scores. An own-goal from Hangeland put them ahead again. But then Stockdale saved the spot-kick and in the final minute Hangeland went up the other end to head a second equaliser.

To make matters worse for Ferguson, he now faces a £1,000 fine from the Premier League for carrying on his long-standing policy of not talking to the BBC after a game. Under new rules this season, managers are obliged to talk to host broadcasters.

SEARCH FOOTBALL for:     

Hangeland said: "It was a real relief. I looked at the clock after the own-goal and I had five minutes to make up for it. It was great to get that corner – and a chance to make amends by scoring from it. Scoring an own-goal is a terrible feeling – but I couldn't do anything different at the time."

Fulham manager Hughes said: "We deserved that point. I am delighted with our spirit and character. The penalty save gave us the belief we needed to kick on and it was a fantastic header from Brede. It certainly made him feel better about himself. United played some good stuff in the first half and we struggled to contain them. But we got better as the game wore on and the quality of our goals was excellent."

Stockdale, thrown in with first-choice keeper Mark Schwarzer on the verge of a move to Arsenal – though Hughes says the deal is still not done, said: "That's another showing with which I can go to the manager and say, 'There you go, that's what I can do'."

Hughes added: "David Stockdale has done very well, he's a good young keeper. We're pleased with what he's producing at the moment but it's always difficult for young goalkeepers. They get by initially on enthusiasm, but can they keep it up over time? We have to be careful with him."

Ferguson said of Scholes' long-range goal: "We have seen that before from Paul – he has done that so many times. Once again it was an outstanding performance from him. It's just disappointing we didn't ram home the advantage."

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6330950,00.html?

Carroll backed for England

Magpies legend believes striker is good enough

Last updated: 23rd August 2010   

Newcastle United legend Malcolm Macdonald believes Fabio Capello should be watching Andy Carroll and not Bobby Zamora.

The England head coach missed Carroll's blistering hat-trick in a 6-0 demolition job on Aston Villa on Sunday as the Italian was at Craven Cottage taking in Fulham's league clash with Manchester United.

Zamora was in England's squad that played Hungary following the summer retirement of Emile Heskey after the World Cup finals.

The Fulham hit-man was not on the scoresheet on Sunday and Macdonald believes Carroll should be ahead of him in the Italian's pecking order.

Major barrier
"For Andy Carroll, I've been saying that this was going to be his make-or-break season," he told Sky Sports News Radio.

"Doing it in the Championship is one thing and I felt he could have got more goals.

"This weekend he's gone through a major barrier for himself. It wasn't just scoring a hat-trick. They were three high-quality goals.

"Now he really has got the opportunity to show himself to be what a lot of people on Tyneside really think he is, and that's England material.

"He was watching Zamora I'd imagine. I think Andy Carroll is way ahead that's for sure, particularly on this weekend's performances."

While Capello chose not to cast an eye over Carroll this weekend, his assistant Franco Baldini was in attendance on Tyneside and he is likely to return to Soho Square with a glowing reference for the 20-year-old frontman.

To listen to the full interview with Macdonald click here to launch the Sky Sports News Radio player.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6331128,00.html

Hughes - Schwarzer could stay

Cottagers manager casts doubt over No.1's move to Emirates

Last updated: 23rd August 2010   

Fulham boss Mark Hughes insists goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer's departure is not a 'foregone conclusion'.

The Cottagers No.1, who has been nursing a back injury, has been the subject of Arsenal's attention this summer, but two £2million bids from the Gunners have already been rejected.

David Stockdale has impressed in place of Schwarzer between the sticks in Fulham's two opening Premier League games, keeping a clean sheet at Bolton in their curtain-raiser before frustrating Manchester United in a 2-2 draw at Craven Cottage on Sunday.

But while pleased with the younger shot-stopper's display, Hughes is adamant the 37-year-old Australia international's move to Arsenal is not set in stone.

Interest
"It's not a foregone conclusion that Mark will leave," Hughes told the Guardian.

"We're all aware of Arsenal's interest. It's not a surprise because he's an outstanding goalkeeper and they obviously feel they have an issue with their own goalkeeper."

Stockdale, making only his third start in the top flight, produced a solid performance against United, saving a Nani penalty three minutes from time which paved the way for Brede Hangeland's late strike following his earlier own-goal.

But despite the 25-year-old former Darlington player's strong start to the campaign, Hughes admits he is seeking the security of a more experienced shot-stopper.

"Stockdale has done very well and is a good young keeper," added Hughes.

"We've been impressed with what we've seen since we've been here, and he's arguably been the star man in both games.

"He's been outstanding and, had this game gone to 3-1, it would have been United's.

"We're pleased with what he's producing at the moment but it's always difficult for young keepers. They get by initially on adrenalin and enthusiasm, but can they keep it up over time? It's a long season and you've got to be careful with

them."

Grounded
Stockdale, meanwhile, is refusing to get carried away following his good work so far this season.

"That's another showing I can go to the manager with and say: 'There you go. That's what I can do,'" said Stockdale.

"I was just trying to get the lads out of the deep muck. It's hard enough trying to dislodge Mark Schwarzer at the best of times but I'll just take it day by day now and see what happens."

Mr Fulham

http://www.fansfc.com/story/23859.html

Fulham ready remarkable Lescott loan bid
01:00 PM 23 August, 2010
Fulham Football Club are hoping to take Joleon Lescott on loan this season.

Mark Hughes moved heaven and earth to sign the defender last summer, in a move which eventually cost Manchester City a whopping £24million.

However, Lescott has struggled to make an impact at Eastlands, and new coach Roberto Mancini, according to the Daily Star Sunday, it prepared to let him leave on loan.

It is believed Hughes, now in charge of Fulham, is the early leading contender to take the England international, who currently faces a fight to be included in the Blues Premier League squad.

Such a move would be remarkable considering how highly the 28-year-old was rated during his time at Goodison Park, yet further proof of what a good price the Toffees received for him.