watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

50 Years Ago Today

Started by Mince n Tatties, October 21, 2016, 07:11:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mince n Tatties

116 Children and 28 Adults died in the Disaster of Aberfan.
This tragedy touches me more than any other,as I was a kid the same age as them that perished that day.
Give them a minute in your thoughts today..
9739.gif  9739.gif  9739.gif

Fulham Tup North

092.gif what followed was a scandal. There were still coal waste heaps around Aberfan. Government and Coal Board argued who should pay to remove them and then used money sent to a memorial fund! Stain on their conscience.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Mince n Tatties

There was a survivor's story in the paper the other day how his pal never came to school that day as he was sick,so he asked teacher if he could sit in his seat by window,that saved his life but he was buried up to his neck.
A girl appeared out of the rubble and said she'd go get help,she never the trauma of it all made her run all the way home and forgot about it.
They met up a few years ago and she apologised to him.
Both are still traumatized by it today that they survived
and their classmates died.
I remember getting home from school and family all round radio listening to it.It affected families everywhere,the women in our street in Herne Bay
were all outside crying.

bog

It was absolutely horrendous. The Coal Board had been warned about the possibility of a slide but kept putting off attending to it. Absolutely scandalous.  9739.gif Can you begin to imagine losing a child, a brother or a sister in such circumstances?  9739.gif

Peabody

Your absolutely right Bog, and  then, both sides argued that the public fund should be used to remove the heap, equally, no one was ever brought to book. 

toshes mate

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on October 21, 2016, 07:11:40 AM
116 Children and 28 Adults died in the Disaster of Aberfan.
This tragedy touches me more than any other,as I was a kid the same age as them that perished that day.
Give them a minute in your thoughts today..
9739.gif  9739.gif  9739.gif

Just your reminder Mince was enough to bring all my memories flooding back.  An awful avoidable disaster and tragedy.

Lighthouse

Remember it very well. As others have said, what followed was a prime example of why we should never trust those in power whatever they tell us. Warnings and cover ups. Thoughts with those that lost loved ones. Also thoughts to those that may have survived but relive everyday that one moment.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Keynsham

There was a guy on the radio this morning who was one of those children, buried up to his midriff in the slide.

He had never even spoken to his family about it until last week, that is an extremely large cross to bear.

SG

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on October 21, 2016, 07:36:42 AM
There was a survivor's story in the paper the other day how his pal never came to school that day as he was sick,so he asked teacher if he could sit in his seat by window,that saved his life but he was buried up to his neck.
A girl appeared out of the rubble and said she'd go get help,she never the trauma of it all made her run all the way home and forgot about it.
They met up a few years ago and she apologised to him.
Both are still traumatized by it today that they survived
and their classmates died.
I remember getting home from school and family all round radio listening to it.It affected families everywhere,the women in our street in Herne Bay
were all outside crying.

He was on the tv this morning. Incredibly moving.

cookieg

Just listened to 5 Live with my 12 year old son and they had an item on the disaster. So unbelievably sad and as a parent I can't even begin to imagine what those parents have gone through over the last 50 years ( or any parent who loses a child for that matter) especially as the whole thing could have been avoided.