more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (19/11/16)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 19, 2016, 07:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Larnell Cole open to extending loan stay at Caley Thistle

Larnell Cole needs to be playing regular football and is open to staying at Caley Thistle. Picture: Ken Macpherson.

LARNELL Cole would be willing to extend his loan deal at Caley Thistle, if an agreement can be reached with Fulham.

A need for regular football, something he feels he will probably not get at Craven Cottage, could persuade Cole to prolong his stay in the Highlands.

The former Manchester United trainee initially signed a short-term loan until January but his spell with the Caley Jags has been hampered by an achilles injury.

However, he returned to the team for the game against Celtic a fortnight ago and with injury and suspension ruling out Liam Polworth and Greg Tansey tomorrow against Aberdeen, Cole is in contention to start.

That could well kick-start a run in the side for a player with obvious pedigree, who is open to staying with the Caley Jags.

"Yes, that is up to the gaffer. He might have that option to extend the loan deal. Fulham have kept in contact, asking how I am doing, but nothing much apart from that," said Cole.

"I went there in January 2014 and the manager was sacked. Then I was injured and out for a year so it's been stop-start. I never really got going. I need to find somewhere where I can get going again.

"I have had four different managers and there has been a lot of change, but that can make you a better person and player. You can learn so much throughout that time."

Cole was brought to Fulham from United by Rene Meulensteen, who was first-team coach at Old Trafford prior to becoming the Cottagers' boss.

He was replaced in February 2014 by Felix Magath, who presided over their relegation to the Championship, and next manager Kit Symons lasted a year before he was sacked. Serb Slavisa Jokanovic is the current man in charge.

A loan spell at Shrewsbury Town last season gave him the hunger back, after a year on the sidelines with a knee injury, and he hopes looking after himself off the park has him clear of injury.

"If you do get the chance and you take it you can prove yourself. You just have to be ready. I always seem to pick up a lot of niggles, but I am making sure now that you do the gym work and the rehab," said Cole.

"Taking care of your body can take you further in your career, so I am making sure I am doing that to give myself the best chance.

"I was out for a year and you learn different things about your body and what you need to do. In the past, you train and you play and you don't think about rehab and recovery. As you get older you know you have to take that more seriously, which I have done."

Part of the same United under-21 sides as Adnan Januzaj and England players Michael Keane and Jesse Lingard, Cole feels his grounding at one of the world's biggest clubs can only stand him in good stead.

"You learn so much from them, from the training and the work ethic which can live with you throughout your career, which is good," he said.

"I'm still in touch with some of the players who are around my age, like Jesse Lingard. He's doing really well and cementing his place in the United team and got into the England team as well."

Cole may get his opportunity tomorrow with Tansey and Polworth, who is out for at least six weeks with ankle ligament damage, absent.

Carl Tremarco is on the erge of signing a one-year extension with ICT.

Caley Jags boss Richie Foran hoped to tie up contract extensions for Alex Fisher (six months) and Carl Tremarco (one year) as the Inverness Courier went to press.

Tremarco's growth into making the left-back slot his own has made Inverness' recruitment a lot easier, particularly after Graeme Shinnie's departure.

"Carl has stepped in there superbly. Graeme was on some fine form when he was here – a top player," said Foran. "Carl had to be patient for a long time. But when Graeme left, John Hughes didn't go and look elsewhere and I haven't looked elsewhere either."

David Raven also looks set to miss out against the Dons, with concussion sustained prior to the Celtic game.

"Players have to go and perform day-in, day-out in training, show the right attitude and work as hard as they can," added Foran.

"If so, they will be given their chance."

http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/Sport/Football/Larnell-Cole-open-to-extending-loan-stay-at-Caley-Thistle-17112016.htm?

WhiteJC

Jack Grimmer: Paul Hurst has made Shrewsbury Town fearless
Fans' favourite Jack Grimmer insists Shrewsbury Town will be pulling no punches as they tackle high-flying Sheffield United at Bramall Lane tomorrow.

Jack Grimmer claims that the new boss has made Salop fearless.

The Blades are unbeaten in 12 league outings and are heavily fancied to finally achieve promotion back to the second tier in this their sixth term in League One.

United, managed by Paul Hurst's former Rotherham team-mate Chris Wilder, are up to third with a game in hand on those above them – but Salop have found their own feet under Hurst and are unbeaten in four.

"I definitely think Paul's impact has made us fearless," said Fulham loanee Grimmer. "Coming off the week we've had, we'll go there with nothing to lose.

"We don't want to just go and just take part, we want to go there and lay a glove on them. It's well documented the goals they're scoring, and not just strikers, midfielders too.

"We're under no illusions about what sort of test it'll be and we'll need things to go for us."

Shrewsbury collected their first clean sheet a fortnight ago against Barnet in the FA Cup and backed that up with shutouts against Middlesbrough in the Checkatrade Trophy and Oxford United in League One.

But Grimmer, who netted against Barnet for the first time since arriving for a third spell, admitted that a clean sheet at Bramall Lane is a different proposition.

"It'll be different feeling going there and keeping a clean sheet than keeping one here against Barnet," said the Scot.

"No disrespect to Barnet, but with the players they've got and the way they've been playing, with their fans too.

"To go there and do well will give you more belief and togetherness and put you in a great position for Tuesday (at Fleetwood).

Read more at http://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/shrewsbury-town-fc/2016/11/18/jack-grimmer-paul-hurst-has-made-shrewsbury-town-fearless/?#tUzr2AVrArbToVOb.99

WhiteJC

Transfer gossip: QPR and Fulham linked with Pompey forward

QPR and Fulham are among a number of clubs The Sun say are interested in Portsmouth's teenage forward Conor Chaplin.

The 19-year-old has impressed for Pompey this season, scoring five goals, and is said to have attracted the attention of scouts.

The Sun say Bournemouth and Ipswich have also watched Chaplin, who has scored 15 goals in 60 first-team appearances.

Chaplin signed a new deal at Fratton Park last month and is under contract until the summer of 2019.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/features-comment/football-qpr-fulham-bournemouth-ipswich-portsmouth-conor-chaplin-linked

WhiteJC

Transfer news: West Brom and Sunderland chasing former Fulham star Kerim Frei

Kerim Frei in action for Besiktas

West Brom and Sunderland are set for a January transfer battle for Besiktas ace Kerim Frei.

Sunderland are currently rock bottom of the Premier League while West Brom sit just three points above the relegation zone.

Both clubs are expected to strengthen their squads in January as they prepare to battle against the drop in the New Year.

And, according to reports in Turkey, they are both keen on a deal for Turkey international winger Frei.

The 22-year-old has played just twice for Besiktas in the league so far this term and is expected to depart in January in order to secure more regular first-team football.

Should he complete a move to the Premier League it would represent a return to England for Frei.

He spent three years at Fulham, where he made 23 top-flight appearances before his departure for Turkey in 2013.

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/transfer-news-west-brom-and-sunderland-chasing-former-fulham-star-kerim-frei-161118217541#iU71k7oz2qFt7IXG.99

WhiteJC

Come Back Brighter

It's no coincidence that the return of Ryan Fredericks to the Fulham side has sparked an upturn in the Whites' fortunes.

Sidelined for three months with an ankle injury that required surgery, the 24-year-old is now back and feeling better than ever, playing a key role in Fulham's victories over Huddersfield Town and Brentford.

"In the last few games there's definitely a feeling that we can keep this run going and continue climbing up the table," Fredericks tells Saturday's official matchday programme.

"We've got a few tough matches coming up; Sheffield Wednesday here, Brighton away, Reading at home, all teams that will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season. But they won't look forward to facing us. We'll be confident and we're sure we'll give a good account of ourselves."

To read the full interview with Fredericks, get your hands on the award-winning programme on Saturday.

Other highlights from the matchday magazine include:

We pay tribute to fallen servicemen, women and former players as part of the Remembrance Sunday commemorations and historian Alex White looks at how the two World Wars affected Fulham
Slaviša Jokanović pens his Head Coach notes
Captain Scott Parker vows to fight for his spot in the starting XI
Kevin Lock revisits his eventful stay in SW6
Jesse Joronen dishes the dirt on his Fulham teammates
We continue our countdown of '100 Memorable Moments' in the Club's history
And Rufus Brevett picks the best XI he played with during his time at the Cottage
Priced £3.50, the award-winning programme is available along Stevenage Road from two hours before kick-off. Or order it online from ProgrammeMaster.

For just £1.99, the programme is also available as a digital download on your iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, PC or Mac via Apple's Newsstand or Pocketmags from 9am on Saturday.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/november/18/ryan-fredericks-sheffield-wednesday-programme?

WhiteJC

Can Wednesday Dish Out The Capital Punishment?

A trip to the capital is what awaits the Wednesday after the two week international break. Fulham will welcome the Owls to Craven Cottage who according to Carlos Carvalhal don't need any extra motivation to get things back on track.

Wednesday haven't lost three games on the bounce since Carvalhal took over the reins over a season ago, with the lure of the top six just a win away it should make things interesting on Saturday..

Our hosts come into the game after two successive victories, scoring seven goals in the process, their most recent outing was a West London derby win over Brentford, 2-0 but before that came a 5-0 thumping of Huddersfield Town the last time they played in front of their own supporters. So, a repeat of last season's one-nil win against the Cottagers wouldn't go amiss, that's for sure.

Owls News....

There could be changes for the Wednesday this weekend as the international break has given Lucas Joao more time to recover from injury, the Portuguese striker has been out since the game against Brentford in August and is now pushing for a return to action. Whether he is thrown straight back into the starting eleven is a completely different thing though! Unfortunately the game has come too quick for his countryman, Marco Matias, however he is inching ever closer to being involved for the first time this season.

It has also been noted by the Wednesday head coach that Fernando Forestieri is gunning for the Cottagers as he looks very sharp in training and we would certainly welcome a return to form for the talented attacker.

Wednesday Comments...

The Wednesday head coach answered questions about the form of Fernando Forestieri to the assembled press on Thursday afternoon, and Carvalhal said we should see a more familiar version of our number 45 this weekend.

"Let me tell you about Fernando – I think we have Fernando really back again.

"These two weeks - but especially this last week - he is back very, very strong, very powerful with a fantastic attitude. I am sure that if he expresses on Saturday what he has been doing during these two weeks, we will be with a better Fernando again, for sure.

"I am very happy about that. All of us are waiting for the best from Fernando and in reality, he is back 100%."

Midfielder, David Jones, is looking forward to the test that Fulham will bring but he says the Owls have nothing to fear this weekend.

"It will be a tough game (against Fulham) but we are more than capable of getting a result anywhere in the Championship.

"It's a game we will be up for and looking forward to and we will be wanting to get back to winning ways. We have got some good experience in the team and I think we have put in some really good away performances."

Fulham News....

The home side trained this week at Craven Cottage to prepare for the visit of the Wednesday and their gaffer Slavisa Jokanovic is said to keep the same side which defeated Brentford in their last game before the international break.

A few of the Fulham players were off involved on international duty and all have come back without incident, so Austrian debutant defender Michael Madl and Tomas Kalas and Ragnar Sigurdsson are also set to face the Owls. Meanwhile, Floyd Ayite, has scored for Togo in the last two weeks so he should keep his place in the Fulham matchday squad.

Cottager Comment....

Slavisa Jokanovic spoke of his delight at the recent form of their Chelsea loanee, Lucas Piazon, and he told Get West London that he's becoming a vital cog in the Fulham wheel.

"Lucas Piazon, in the last few games, has started to be a very important player for us. He is very fast and has experience playing in this competition.

"He stayed with us during the international break, when we are not working with a complete team. Step by step, without any game, we try to detect what these players can offer us, how they can help us."

Piazon took time to look forward to this weekend's clash against Wednesday who he expects will be in and around the playoff spots by the end of the season.

"It will be difficult for us but if we keep pushing, keep going like we have been, then there's no reason why we can't get the win. To get three wins in a row would be fantastic for us.

"It's always tough against Sheffield Wednesday, but we're playing at home so I expect us to play well, put in a good shift, and get the three points." He told FulhamFC.com

"I believe they will fight for the top-six, as they did last year. They almost got promoted, they lost to Hull City in the Play-Off Final. That was a close game, I remember watching it."

Head To Head V Fulham....

Wednesday have the nod when it comes to wins in games between the sides over the course of history, picking up 31 wins to Fulham's 25 with 15 games ending in a draw.

The 1959/60 1960/61 and 1961/62 seasons were the last time Wednesday picked up consecutive wins at the Cottage from season to season and there have been 16 games between the sides in West London since then.

However, expect at least one goal to be scored this weekend as there has been only ONE game between Wednesday and Fulham over the course of history that has ended goalless. There have also been a few high scoring games in the past with Wednesday winning 6-1 at Fulham's home, as well as the hosts winning 6-2.

Last time out at the Cottage....

Our last visit to West London was the first of two games in a week against the Cottagers, Wednesday winning both of them and both of them had stunning goals from the Owls in them... The first was a cracker from Ross Wallace which you can see below..... And the second was at Hillsborough from Barry Bannan... Oh go on then, we'll put that below too...

Final Thoughts....

Once again we go into the game with talk amongst some supporters being Carlos Carvalhal's future, Fernando Forestieri's form or we're letting the top six slip away. Hopefully this weekend we can put those issues back to bed for at least another seven days until we go to Wolves!!!

The home side are in decent nick at the moment, seemingly full of confidence and normally we do stand up when our backs are against the wall. As mentioned we've not lost more than two consecutive games for more in the last two seasons, so there's no reason to see why we won't do that now.

Will we win though? As an almost forever optimistic Owl (but not hopefully unrealistically so), I struggle to predict a loss for the Wednesday so I won't be altering that trend today. We need a win, a draw isn't the end of the world by any stretch, but we need a win and I think we'll get it.

Score prediction....

A scrappy 1-0 win for the Wednesday please...

Cheers.

https://owlsonline.com/?page=news&news_id=1705

WhiteJC

Branfoot's Cottage Visit

Ian Branfoot visited Craven Cottage this week for the first time since leaving the Club in the 1990s. We caught up with our former manager to get his thoughts on his time at Fulham.

I imagine the place has changed somewhat since your last visit?

[Laughs]. That's the greatest understatement! It's totally different to when I left. It's much more modernised and very nice now.

Fulham were at a low ebb when you arrived in 1994 – what was the atmosphere like?

I interviewed a few of the players when I first came here and it was interesting to talk to them because they were very honest and very open about the way things were before, and they weren't happy at the way they were having to play. They hadn't been organised and they hadn't been disciplined. After that we started to get everything organised and we implemented fitness routines. They didn't like that initially because it was hard work, but I did that at every club; Reading, Southampton, Crystal Palace. They didn't like the hard work, but they knew that once they had done it they would be much fitter and much better equipped to do the job. The players appreciated that, I think they wanted that because they had been so used to the opposite where they weren't organised. I think the training prior to myself and Micky Adams coming in was basically five-a-side. They'd do five-a-side for an hour and then go and have a coffee. So after that we got organised and disciplined. They became extremely fit and they worked very hard.

We'd just been relegated to the bottom tier – how important was it to try and get the confidence levels back up?

The thing you gain with years in the profession, is that confidence is a huge factor, and that comes from results. Results, in my opinion, come with the fitness and the organisation. And once you start to get those results, confidence builds and players get better. That is a magical factor because once all that comes in to place it's much better.

You mentioned Micky Adams – he must go down as one of our most important ever signings?

I had a relationship with Micky at Southampton. He was coming to the end of his career when I was manager there. Even though he was a first team player he would come in during the week at night voluntarily and start coaching the young kids, which I thought was great. So when I got the job at Fulham I asked Micky if he wanted to come, and we always had this agreement from the moment that I started that I would eventually become general manager and Micky would become first team coach. So that was always the agreement, and obviously it paid off.

Did you always see that man management quality in Micky?

I think so. He definitely had that in him, he was always like that as a player. He had his opinions and wanted to do things his way, which was quite right. He also had good training to become a manager.

Were you always keen to move upstairs at some point?

I was very lucky in my management career, that even when I started at Reading I had a great relationship with the board of directors. I would attend every board meeting and knew exactly how the club was being run, and I basically learned how to manage a club because of that experience. My side of it was obviously the football side but I also knew the sponsorships, how the money was brought into the club, where the money was going out of the club, so that was a great experience for me. I had six years there and attended every board meeting during that time. I had a relationship with the commercial side, Mike Lewis and Andy Bassett, who were both very, very inventive, and that's why when I eventually became the general manager here I brought them both in to do the commercial side of the business.

And there was a lot of work throughout the place that needed doing wasn't there?

[Laughs]. Just a bit, yeah. I was stunned and shocked when I arrived on my first day and I was introduced to the press during pre-season. I walked across to the other side of the pitch to have an interview and when I got there I saw Billy Muddyman, who gave me the job. I said, "Have you seen the pitch?" and he said, "No, what's the matter? It looks alright." So I responded, "The next time you walk across it have a look and tell me what you think." It was full of dandelions and daisies. That was an indicator basically of what it was going to be like – that was my first day. I then went in to the dressing rooms and I thought "this can't be Craven Cottage, it's not right." It hadn't been painted or decorated for years - it was falling down basically. Luckily we were sponsored by the GMB union at the time, and within a fortnight they had completely renovated the whole of the dressing rooms.

So that sort of thing was important to you even before you became general manager?

Definitely. Because I had done more than just looking after the team at the clubs I had been at, being involved in all the board meetings as well, I knew the running of the club was just as important.

How do you look back on your time at Fulham?

It was great coming to a club with this tradition and history. It was a great experience. I loved it. Having people like Micky and Kevin Moore behind me was great. Kevin became the stadium manager and I remember in the last six months Kevin, myself and another guy who was part and parcel of the stadium went round and painted every door in the whole ground as part of the pre-season work. I couldn't believe I was going round painting doors, but they were great memories. I loved it, it was a lovely place to work.

Do you still keep an eye on how the team's doing?

I do, yes. Unfortunately I've been a Sunderland fan since I was born so I'm not too happy at the moment! I've seen Fulham a couple of times of late and they have been playing very good football at the moment. I was very pleasantly surprised as they've picked up some very good results. I'd love to see them get promoted again.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/november/18/ian-branfoots-craven-cottage-visit?

WhiteJC

Piazon becoming 'important player at Fulham', says Jokanovic
by DAN on NOVEMBER 15, 2016

Slavisa Jokanovic has praised Lucas Piazon's strength of character for overcoming a testing start to his loan spell at Fulham and hailed the Brazilian forward as one of the club's most 'important' players.

The Serbian head coach told the rest of Fulham's fringe players to learn from Piazon's attitude after he knuckled down in training having been overlooked during the early weeks of his time at Craven Cottage having joined the Whites on loan from local rivals Chelsea on the final day of the summer transfer window. Jokanovic hinted that has been so impressed by the desire and form of the 22 year-old that he is seriously considering extending Piazon's loan until the end of the season.

Lucas Piazon, in the last few games, has started to be a very important player for us. He is very fast and has experience playing in this competition. He played 23 games for Reading last season, so he didn't need a lot of time to adapt himself. We are happy with what he has offered in the last few games.

He stayed with us during the international break, when we are not working with a complete team. Step by step, without any game, we try to detect what these players can offer us, how they can help us. After some kind of experience working with him, we detect he's a player who can give us a different thing from what we have in our squad.

Generally, his case can encourage other people who still don't have enough minutes or participate so much. Show the right character and confidence, push hard and wait for the right chance. This competition is tough and long, and I'm sure some players not in my first plan now will soon be in this situation. They have to understand to be professional and push hard, and be ready when they get a chance.

Piazon's impressive performances on the training ground has gradually began to translate into eye-catching displays in the first team. The former Sao Paulo forward has started each of Fulham's last fixtures, having previously had to prove his worth in the EFL Cup, and scored in the impressive victories over Barnsley and Huddersfield.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/11/piazon-becoming-important-player-at-fulham-says-jokanovic/?

WhiteJC

Bettinelli patiently waits for his chance
by DAN on NOVEMBER 18, 2016

Marcus Bettinelli is patiently waiting for a first-team opportunity at Fulham after injury robbed him of the chance to stake a claim to unseat new signing David Button in the summer – and admits that the new loan rules barring mid-season moves have only added to his frustration.

The former England under-21 international has yet to make a senior appearance for the club this term due to Button's outstanding form since his arrival from Brentford and an untimely knee problem. The young goalkeeper, whose professional development was greatly boosted by loan spells with Dartford and Accrington Stanley in the formative stages of his career, hasn't had the opportunity of tasting first-team football elsewhere since the EFL rules on loan moves were tightened up over the summer.

It's tough not being able to get out on loan when you're not playing. Like Cauley [Woodrow] said it's important not to put yourself in that mindset. You want to play here and try your hardest but, at the same time, we're in a situation where we need games.

I didn't play much due to injury (last season). We both know we want to get games so it's not easy with the new laws. It's frustrating but that's football. When January comes, whatever may be may be.

Bettinelli has developed a good camaraderie with Button and insists that he won't be wishing misfortune on his main rival for the number one jersey.

I'm not going to say I'd wish injury to David. I'm dying to play. Anything that Butts needs I'm there for him and that'd be vice versa. Andy Lonergan wasn't expecting to get the games he got but that's football. If he does get injured I'm ready to play.

If that's the case, I'm in a good state to go out there and perform. I'd never wish that on anyone. I've known Butts for a long time. He's a good goalkeeper who has played a lot of games in a row. He's a really good goalkeeper and a really good guy. We've got a good bond. It's been good we've got that competition between us and can get better every day.

I've taken a lot of stuff from him and I'm sure he's taken a lot from me. He's a good goalkeeper and long may that continue.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/11/bettinelli-patiently-waits-for-his-chance/?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Sheffield Wednesday

On-loan Fulham striker Chris Martin has scored four goals in his last five appearances

BBC coverage
How to follow:
Listen on BBC Radio 5 live and BBC local radio; text commentary on the BBC Sport website
Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic has a fully fit squad and is likely to name the same XI that started the 2-0 win over Brentford last time out.

The Whites are two points off the play-off places after back-to-back wins.

Sheffield Wednesday striker Lucas Joao could be involved for the first time since August after returning from a groin injury.

Carlos Carvalhal's side have lost their last two games to slip down to 10th in the table.

Match facts

Fulham have won only one of their last nine league games against the Owls (D5 L3), a 4-0 victory in December 2014.
Wednesday have won their last three games against the Whites in all competitions, which all came all last season - two wins in the league and one in the FA Cup.
The Owls have lost their last two league games; they've not suffered three consecutive defeats since May 2014.
Fulham's Tom Cairney has created 15 goalscoring chances for Sone Aluko; the most by one player to another in the Championship.
Gary Hooper has been involved in four of Sheffield Wednesday's last five league goals (three goals, one assist).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37958639

WhiteJC

Fulham youngster scores hat-trick as Under-23s thrash Middlesbrough

Stephen Humphrys scored a hat-trick as Fulham's Under-23s beat Middlesbrough 4-1 on Friday.

Peter Grant's side had fallen behind after eight minutes when Tayo Edun conceded a penalty, converted by Callum Cooke.

Fulham keeper Marek Rodak kept out Carlos de Pena before two goals in six minutes towards the end of the first half saw the visitors ahead at the break.

Humphrys got his first when he finished from Edun's left-wing cross and Sean Kavanagh then netted with a left-footed shot from 25 yards.

The game was in the balance until the final 15 minutes, when Fulham scored twice more and Humphrys completed his treble.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-youngster-scores-hat-trick-23s-thrash-middlesbrough?

WhiteJC

Humphrys hat-trick seals thumping win for Fulham U23s

A superb hat-trick from Stevie Humphrys secured a thumping win for Fulham's Under 23s at Middlesbrough this afternoon in their latest Premier League 2 encounter.

Peter Grant's young side showed tremendous spirit to shrug off the concession of an early goal to win 4-1 at a cold Rockliffe Park and put Boro's highly-rated academy to the sword. The margin of victory was more impressive as Grant's team were missing a number of players who have first-team experience due to international commitments and the close proximity of tomorrow's Championship clash with Sheffield Wednesday at Craven Cottage.

The Whites fell behind to a ninth minute penalty after Tayo Edun had felled Alex Pattison in the box and Middlesbrough captain Callum Cooke stepped up to calmly convert the spot-kick past Marek Rodak. Fulham gradually gained a foothold into the contest and, after Humphreys had headed straight at Aynsley Pears in the Middlesbrough from a threatening cross by Edun, the Whites equalised through the same combination. Edun, so impressive during his first-team cameos in the EFL Cup earlier this year, progressed down the left and crossed for Humphrys, who converted clinically on 38 minutes.

Just three minutes later and Fulham were in front thanks to a superb strike from long-range by Republic of Ireland under-21 international Sean Kavanagh. The defender, who had an unsuccessful trial with Boro earlier in his career, curled home a majestic finish from fully 25 yards out after being teed up by the composed Josh Smile and Fulham only showed signs of increasing their lead after the break, with Josh Walker heading narrowly over.

The visitors should great resolve and game management to weather a strong spell of Middlesbrough pressure midway through the second half. Bryn Morris headed fractionally over Rodak's crossbar after an excellent cross from Ben Liddell and Cooke sent a rasping drive agonisingly wide after cutting in from the right flank, but Fulham were always threatening on the break. Humphrys, who played in a more withdrawn role behind Walker for much of the contest, offered a sign of what was to come with a powerful drive that was well held by Pears, before the former Bury forward completed grabbed his second of the afternoon with seventeen minutes left.

It was a classic centre forward's goal, as well, with Humphreys climbing imperiously to direct an unstoppable header beyond the goalkeeper from a Dennis Adeniran cross after the England youth international had worked his way clear down the right flank. Humphrys, who has been in a rich vein of form so far this season, put the gloss on Fulham's sixth league victory of the season six minutes from time with another emphatic finish.

MIDDLESBROUGH (4-2-3-1): Pears; Johnson, Kitching, Wheatley (Maloney 60′), McGhee; Morris, Elsdon; Pattison (McAloon 60′), de Pena (Mondal 75′), Cooke; Liddle. Subs (not used): Hegarty, Fryer.

FULHAM (4-2-3-1): Rodak; Fossey, Edun, Davies, Kavanagh; Smile, Adeniran; de la Torre, Thorsteinsson, Humphrys; Walker. Subs (not used): Soutter, Jenz, Dolan, Pearce.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/11/humphrys-hat-trick-seals-thumping-win-for-fulham-u23s/?

WhiteJC

Humphrys treble secures Fulham victory

Cottagers beat Middlesbrough 4-1 to move up to fourth in PL2 Division 2

Stephen Humphrys' hat-trick helped Fulham rise to fourth in Premier League 2 Division 2 as they beat Middlesbrough 4-1.

Callum Cooke's early penalty gave Boro the lead, but two goals near the end of the first half turned the match round.

Humphrys converted Edun's cross before Sean Kavanagh's long-range effort.

Humphreys headed in a cross soon after the break before sealing his hat-trick in the 84th minute.

West Ham United are Fulham's next opponents at Craven Cottage on Monday 28 November, while Middlesbrough travel to West Bromwich Albion on the same day.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/140070?

WhiteJC

Wealdstone sign Fulham youngster on loan

Fulham teenager Ryheem Sheckleford has joined Wealdstone on a short-term loan deal.

The 19-year-old is primarily a right-back but is also capable of playing in midfield.

He will be with the National League South club until 1 January.

Sheckleford moved up to Fulham's Under-18s towards the end of the 2012-13 season, having impressed with the Under-16s, and made 17 league appearances the following year.

He also featured heavily in Fulham's run to the FA Youth Cup Final and recently signed a new deal keeping him at Craven Cottage until next summer.

Sheckleford will be eligible to join the Stones squad for Saturday's National League South match at Hungerford Town.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/football-wls-fulham-youngster-heads-loan

WhiteJC

Jokanovic sees 'step-by-step' improvements

Slavisa Jokanovic has seen encouraging improvements in his Fulham side after they recorded back-to-back wins to climb up the Championship table – but is refusing to count any chickens about his team's promotion prospects ahead of tomorrow's clash with Sheffield Wednesday.

The Fulham head coach feels there is a greater positivity around Motspur Park after two victories over Huddersfield Town and Brentford prior to the international break, but he is demanding the optimum level of focus on the visit of Wednesday, who he believes will be determination to end their own disappointing run of two defeats.

Jokanovic told FulhamTV in his press-match interview:

We have improved, but are a team that still needs to improve more. There are still important gaps we need to fill. Generally, these last good games can encourage us in how we play and can show us the way we want to follow [in future]. We have played some very good games, but at the same time we cannot be satisfied and we cannot be sleeping in this moment because you are going to have Sheffield Wednesday, who lost the last two games, and I'm sure they are going to be at maximum level of concentration, maximum level to compete and we need to be one step above the highest level where they are.

He was clear about what he expected from his players – brushing off any concerns about the short degree of time his squad had together after the international break – and scorched any suggestions of over-confidence after morale-boosting wins, reiterating the importance of hard work in delivering both results and belief in his side's quality.

I can only accept good performances. It is not [a] time for holidays, it is not time for rest, we need to push hard and to understand that it is simple because the most important game is the next game in front of us. We want to have maybe a bit of confidence and believe in what we are doing. We step-by-step, start believing now and step-by-step start to believe we can play good football and step-by-step start to believe we can win the game. When you believe in yourself, everything is possible.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/11/jokanovic-sees-step-by-step-improvements/?

WhiteJC

Sheffield Wednesday: Lee Bullen backing expecting positive response against Fulham

Sheffield Wednesday first team coach Lee Bullen has backed up the views of boss Carlos Carvalhal that if training during the international break is anything to go by, then Owls fans can look forward to a positive result on the pitch.

Wednesday went into the two-week long stoppage in play having just lost 2-1 to Ipswich Town in a hugely disappointing display.

But speaking on Sheffield Live TV, Bullen said that the coaching staff and the players 'had a chat' about that performance and went on to reiterate what Carvalhal had stated in his press briefing that there has been an impressive response.

Wednesday head to Fulham today, bidding to get their promotion charge back on track and Bullen said everyone is keen to put to bed the memory of that display against the Tractor Boys.

"We've had some fantastic performances this season, we've had a couple of disappointing performances and obviously the Ipswich one was a sore one where we just really didn't get going in the way we have done in the past.

"We, shall we say, have had a chat about it. The players were told in no uncertain terms... listen sometimes the manager has to say it but sometimes the players don't need to be told. They know, as soon as they come off that pitch.

"But if we put in a performance with the same mentality as the players trained this week then we're going to have a good result on Saturday." He added: "We can't get too low about it, we are on the exact same points this stage of the season after the same amount of games as last season and we are only two points off the play-offs.

"But the modern game is here, it's now, it's decisions it's opinions straight away after a game. "Until you get to digest it and really sit back and focus on where we are. Yes, it was a disappointing result against Ipswich but we have the same points tally as we did last year and we are right on the coat tails of that top six again so let's not be too down-hearted about it."

Bullen also said that the international break has been of great benefit to the team and is hopeful of a similar outcome as after the last one. "I would much rather go into the international break on the back of three points.

"The last one we lost against Brighton just before the break and this one we lost against Ipswich. But we came back, reacted properly and had a decent run of results. Hopefully that's what happens.

"As I say, the work that the players have out in and the tempo that they've been training at, certainly points to it being very, very positive for the next two or three games.

Butit's a toyugh league. We are going to London to plkay Fulham who are on a greast run of form tgemsles winning 5-0 and 2-0 and beating Huddersfield who are a very tough side this year, up against a ex manager of ours as well(Stuart Gray) who'll be sitting on the bench.

Fuilham is ab great place to go and play football or be involved in a football match, the fans love traveling there and everyone looks forward to it. Sometimes that international break feels like an age you just want to get back on track and get going again.

Read more at: http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/owls/sheffield-wednesday-lee-bullen-backing-expecting-positive-response-against-fulham-1-8246836?

WhiteJC

It's a family thing for Aluko

Fulham forward Sone Aluko gives an interview in the Sun tomorrow where he describes his immense pride at the footballing ability of his England international sister Eni Aluko, who he freely admits has outshone him for much of her career.

While Sone is focusing on the possibility of winning a third promotion to the Premier League with the Whites, his achievements in the game have been eclipsed by his sister. Eni, now starring for Chelsea in the Women's Super League, has won ninety international caps for her country – and was the leading scorer in English domestic football last season. Aluko says that his sister's success is spurring him on to greater things:

I'm her biggest fan. The achievements she's had in her career, I still haven't done in male football. She's a Golden Boot winner; she's been to World Cups; been to Euros, won FA Cups — she's done it all.

Aluko, who was born in Hounslow, is reveling in his return to the capital having been named as the Championship player of the month for October. He has put the frustration of injury and non-selection at Hull City behind him as he attempts to help Fulham return to the top flight and is enjoying the extra responsibility he has been afforded by head coach Slavisa Jokanovic.

The next aim is to take Fulham up. Hopefully we'll get the club to where it needs to be. There's nothing I'd want more as I'm happier here than I've been for many years in football.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/11/its-a-family-thing-for-aluko/?

WhiteJC

Up next: Sheffield Wednesday (h)
by DAN on NOVEMBER 19, 2016

After the drudgery of another international week, Fulham's Championship campaign resumes this afternoon with a tough test in the shape of Carlos Carvalhal's Sheffield Wednesday at Craven Cottage. The Owls might have lost their last two fixtures but that will make last season's surprise package more determined to resurrect their own promotion push, especially as Wednesday haven't lost three straight games since May 2014. They did the double over Fulham last season – ruining Slavisa Jokanovic's first game in charge back in January – and will surely provide a stiffer test than Huddersfield or Brentford have managed in recent weeks.

The optimism appears to have returned to Motspur Park after those two resounding results have left Fulham within touching distance of the play-off places but Jokanovic – every inch the hard taskmaster – will not tolerate any resting on laurels. Much will depend on whether the international break has ruptured Fulham's momentum, as it did during September when the Whites' impressive start to the season abruptly ran out of petrol, or if the tantalising taste of success has merely whetted the appetite for a serious tilt at the top six.

Jokanovic has the luxury of a virtually fully-fit squad to chose from – only Neeskens Kebano has reported back from international duty with a minor niggle – and will probably pick the same side that so handsomely dismantled Huddersfield and earned the local bragging rights at Griffin Park. His tactical tweak, jettisoning a holding midfield in favour of a more adventurous central midfield pairing of Tom Cairney, currently the league leader in terms of assists, and an in-form Stefan Johansen, has allowed Fulham to be far more progressive in possession – but the success of that switch also owed much to our opponents offering time and space on the ball, something an experienced coach like Carvahal will hardly be likely to repeat.

Wednesday might have lost their last two games – demoralising defeats to Derby County and Ipswich – but Carvahal has been quick to draw on the restorative qualities of an international break, allowing his players to get their heads together and focus on correcting the mistakes that have handed their opponents the initiative. His players certainly seem in positive mood, with midfielder David Jones talking up the possibility of a return to winning ways in London. They certainly have every reason to be confident – having lost just once in their last nine league contests with Fulham, when the Whites scored four in December 2014.

Carvahal has been criticised for the rather formulaic nature of his midfield in recent weeks but, for the all the brickbats, the centre of the park remains Wednesday's real strength. Sam Hutchison, who shot to prominence as a trainee who battled all sorts of injuries and misfortune to forge a career just down the King's Road, has been nothing short of sensational at the heart of the defence but can also be utilised as a defensive midfield shield, whilst Fulham will need no reminding of the creative abilities of Barry Bannan, who tore them to shrewds at Hillsborough last term, or the danger of allowing Ross Wallace to shoot from long range – like he did to settle Jokanovic's opening match in charge.

The Owls prospects are also likely to be boosted by the return of Portuguese forward Lucas Joao, who is set to feature in the first team for the first time since August having been sidelined with a troublesome groin injury. The pacey youngster will present a real threat to a Fulham back four that has previously been frightened by pure rapidity, whilst former Fulham transfer target Gary Hooper is in ominous form, having played a part four of Wednesday's last five goals. Then, there's the robust presence of Scotland striker Steven Fletcher, recently returned to these shores after an improbable loan spell with Marseille. With the mercurial Fernando Forrestieri having rekindled his love for the Owls, Kevin McDonald – if retained as a single shield in front of the back four – could be in for a taxing afternoon.

The onus will be on Fulham to exploit any early Wednesday nerves and come out of the blocks in a manner similar to the way they managed in their last two outings. A repeat of the clinical finishing that carried them past Huddersfield might be asking a bit much, but Jokanovic will certainly want to see his side impose themselves on proceedings in the manner they did at Griffin Park – where the intensity of a local derby quickly disappeared as the Whites were on the front foot. Fulham have struggled for a consistency of tempo so far this season – and finding the fluidity that allows the likes of Cairney and Sone Aluko to float between the lines will be absolutely crucial.

You sense that, after the late October euphoria, we'll find out an awful lot about Fulham's promotion prospects in the next couple of weeks. Wednesday might have slipped down the table of late but they remain a tough side to beat and have the benefit of a season's worth of grinding out results on their way to last season's play-off final. They will provide a stern examination before the trip to Brighton and Hove Albion next weekend – and if any of Jokanovic's men think they can dazzle their way through this assignment, they'll be in for a rude awakening.

MY FULHAM XI (4-1-2-3): Button; Fredericks, Malone, Kalas, Sigurdsson; McDonald; Cairney, Johansen; Aluko, Piazon, Martin. Subs: Bettinelli, Sessegnon, Madl, Christensen, Parker, Ayite, Smith.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/11/up-next-sheffield-wednesday-h/?

WhiteJC

New TOOFIF out this afternoon
by DAN on NOVEMBER 19, 2016

Just a reminder that the first edition of There's Only One in Fulham, the award-winning Fulham fanzine, for the new season is out today. You can pick up a copy outside the Hammersmith End or at various locations along Stevenage Road before this afternoon's Championship fixture against Sheffield Wednesday.

The voice of Fulham fans for more than 28 years is still great value at just £3 – and you can visit the TOOFIF website for more information. Issue 142 is packed full of interviews – including a chat with new Fulham director David Daly – and features, such as a look back at the famous Micky Adams promotion season.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/11/new-toofif-out-this-afternoon/?

WhiteJC

4-2-3-1: THIS FULHAM LINE UP WILL BEAT SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY TODAY

Fulham certainly look like contenders for a play-off spot this year under boss Slavisa Jokanovic after their terrific start to this current Sky Bet Championship season.

Fulham currently lie in 8th place in England's 2nd tier and it is clear that there is a great level of optimism and confidence flowing round Craven Cottage at the moment.

This weekend see's Fulham come up against fellow play-off chasers Sheffield Wednesday who sit just two places below The Cottagers in 10th position.

The Owls will certainly be no pushovers and Fulham will have to be at their very best to come out from this clash with all three points.

If Jokanovic is to come away with all three points this weekend he should play the following line up...

GK – DAVID BUTTON

Undisputed number one goalkeeper David Button is almost certain to be in between the sticks for this upcoming game against Sheffield Wednesday, barring any injuries, and will no doubt be desperate to keep a clean sheet on the way to his side picking up three points.

Button will no doubt be expecting a tough afternoon when coming up against the likes of Steven Fletcher and Fernando Forestieri but will be confident of keeping them at bay.

LB – SCOTT MALONE

Summer signing Scott Malone would retain his place at Left back in my preferred Fulham starting XI. Malone arrived at Craven Cottage this summer from fellow Championship side Cardiff and has enjoyed a good start to life with the London club.

Malone will be keen to put in a good showing against Sheffield Wednesday and help the team come away with a victory.

CB – TOMAS KALAS

Chelsea loanee Tomas Kalas is a very classy, calm and composed defender and is someone who breeds confidence through the whole team with his presence in the backline.

Fulham look like a much more solid outfit when he is playing and will be keen to see him put in a good display in this upcoming match against Sheffield Wednesday

CB – RAGNAR SIGURDSSON

Experienced Icelandic international Ragnar Sigurdsson was a summer signing at Craven Cottage this year after impressing consistantly for the Icelandic national team at Euro 2016. Sigurdsson was part of the famous victory over England and actually netted the teams first goal.

Sigurdsson has taken to life in England very well and has been impressing more and more with every passing game.

RB – RYAN FREDERICKS

Lightning quick full back Ryan Fredericks should retain his place at right back for this one, and he will be keen to put in a good performance to really make that right back spot his own.

The former Tottenham Hotspur trainee has previously represented the likes of Millwall and Middlesborough.

CM – KEVIN MCDONALD

Former Sheffield United and Wolverhampton Wanderers man Kevin McDonald has been excellent for Fulham so far this season.

The Scot is a very strong, physical presence in midfield and is someone who can control the midfield battle and dictate the tempo of play.

McDonald penned a three year deal with the club this summer when signing from fellow Championship side Wolves.

CM – STEFAN JOHNSON

Former Celtic man Stefan Johansen would get the nod to partner McDonald in the centre of midfield to add a good balance to the engine room.

Johansen is a box to box midfielder who has great energy, an intense work rate and a never say die attitude, he is strong in a tackle and is a real asset to this Fulham team.

LW – SONE ALUKO

Nigerian Sone Aluko has been nothing short of a revelation since arriving at the club this summer and is certainly looking at home at Craven Cottage.

Aluko is lightning quick, very direct and has very good dribbling ability, he has the skill and flair to beat a man and is not afraid to try something out of the ordinary.

Aluko is proving to be a very good piece of business by the club.

CAM – TOM CAIRNEY

Tom Cairney is a player who has incredible technical ability, he has a wonderful passing range, accompanied with great vision and also has a wicked long shot in his arsenal.

Cairney would be granted the free role behind the striker in my preferred Fulham XI to allow him to influence the game in a positive manner.

RW – LUCAS PIAZON

Chelsea loanee Piazon will be hoping to put in a good performance in this upcoming clash with Sheffield Wednesday and hopefully add to his Fulham goal tally.

Piazon is clearly a player of incredible quality and class as his caps for the Brazilian under 17, 20 and 23 teams suggest.

ST – CHRIS MARTIN

It was certainly a shock move when it was announced that Chris Martin would be joining Fulham on loan, and it is definitely proving to be that Derby's loss is Fulham's gain.

Martin is a striker of incredible quality and class, and is someone who has reached double figures in goalscoring terms for the past three seasons running, he will be certainly looking to keep up that record this season.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/4-2-3-1-this-fulham-line-up-will-beat-sheffield-wednesday-today/?