watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-The Goldstone

Started by bog, November 23, 2016, 12:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Anybody else go to the match at the Goldstone in March 1971? We lost 3-2 with Malcolm Webster doing a poor impression of a goalkeeper. That cost us the league that season. I like Brighton and their current boss. Their supporters went through hell when Belloti was in charge. I am going this Saturday and expect a good proper game unlike that nonsense Wednesday served up.

Thank you and good night.

092.gif   

cmg

I liked the Goldstone, but we never seemed to do much good there.

First visit sticks in my mind.
The family spent Christmas 1958 with relatives in the I of Wight. My Dad, probably fed up with the in-laws, agreed to take me to Brighton on the day after Boxing Day. Train (steam!) Newport to Ryde, steamer across to Portsmouth, then train along the coast to Hove. Took forever and the match attracted the Goldstone's biggest ever crowd.
None of this was a problem. After all we were challenging at the top of the table and had beaten them 3-1 the day before. What could possibly go wrong?
Of course we got thrashed 3-0. 

bog

cmg. I recall that game. As you say Brighton's biggest gate at the Goldstone.  I did not go but recall having the right 'ump when the result came through. (Ps I lived on the Isle of  Wight for a while and stared primary school there in 1950.) I wonder if there is a blue plaque on the wall to signify this.... 

092.gif

cmg

Quote from: bog on November 23, 2016, 01:32:31 PM
cmg. I recall that game. As you say Brighton's biggest gate at the Goldstone.  I did not go but recall having the right 'ump when the result came through. (Ps I lived on the Isle of  Wight for a while and stared primary school there in 1950.) I wonder if there is a blue plaque on the wall to signify this.... 

Which school, my friend? I still go over quite often.

bog

cmg, I really wish I knew. My father ran a shoe repair business on the island for a couple or years. 1949-19501 I think. We used to go into the prison there to pick up their shoes. Used to frighten the life out of this 5 year old! Some of the inmates used to shout their heads off at us out of the windows. Probably used language I had never heard before!

092.gif

cmg

Quote from: bog on November 23, 2016, 01:52:04 PM
cmg, I really wish I knew. My father ran a shoe repair business on the island for a couple or years. 1949-19501 I think. We used to go into the prison there to pick up their shoes. Used to frighten the life out of this 5 year old! Some of the inmates used to shout their heads off at us out of the windows. Probably used language I had never heard before!

Never met any of the Parkhurst/Albany inmates (as far as I know!) but I've drunk with some of the warders - they were frightening enough!

bog

Female no doubt then! :022:

092.gif

Holders

Yep, I was there. Peter O'Sullivan and Kit Napier for them, I think.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

bog

Holders, I think Willie Irvine may have played and scored.

092.gif

cmg

Quote from: bog on November 23, 2016, 04:23:49 PM

Willie Irvine: another name to conjure with. And with another 26/27 December connection. Although one without much seasonal peace and love.

1964 - Bobby Keetch and Willie Irvine had a bit of 'previous'. On the Boxing Day we had gone to Turf Moor and been whacked 4-0. Irvine scored a hat-trick which, obviously, did not make Keetch a happy centre-half.
From the kick-off of the return the next evening Keetch and Irvine fought a running battle. Eventually, with play up the other end, the two started trading blows. The noise of the crowd cheering this spectacle caused the referee to turn round just as Bob delivered what was charitably described as a kick to Irvine's knee - but one I remember as being a little higher and more central. Inevitably a red card ensued, followed by the equally inevitable defeat.

Holders

Quote from: bog on November 23, 2016, 04:23:49 PM

092.gif

You may be right, it was a long time ago. Earle for us wasn't it?

footc

Quote from: bog on November 23, 2016, 01:32:31 PM

092.gif

You could make it the biggest gate at the Amex on Saturday if enough travel.

Villa made it biggest gate of season last Saturday and third biggest ever. Just over 30,000 last Saturday.

SG

Was also at the Goldstone in 58. Also the 0-0 game when Tony Lange scored the winning penalty - hell it was cold that night. Gary Billings did his walk for Fulham 2000 to Brighton, I remember being there to welcome him. So lots of FFC connections with the Goldstone.
As a Sussex based white I could do with them slipping a few places down the table

bog

Holders, our scorers were Jimmy Conway and George Johnson. I still can see Webster staying on his line and leaving the goal wide open for their winner on the break. cmg, our Bobby was never one for softness and subtlety was he.....I do expect a big crowd, would be nice to set a record...and win!!!  :clap_hands:

092.gif

Holders

Quote from: bog on November 23, 2016, 08:20:57 PM
Holders, our scorers were Jimmy Conway and George Johnson. I still can see Webster staying on his line and leaving the goal wide open for their winner on the break. cmg, our Bobby was never one for softness and subtlety was he.....I do expect a big crowd, would be nice to set a record...and win!!!  :clap_hands:

092.gif

Your memory's better than mine, Bog! I can remember O'Sullivan and Napier rampaging through us - but a new-born kitten could have rampaged past Webster.

Was that the evening when we used our old change kit of dark blue and light blue vertical stripes? I only saw it worn once and it was at Brighton.