News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How long do we have to suffer this incompetence in front of goal !

Started by howitis, November 27, 2016, 08:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westcliff white

Quote from: Statto on November 27, 2016, 06:30:49 PM
Quote from: westcliff white on November 27, 2016, 06:16:46 PM
Quote from: Wearethewhites on November 27, 2016, 02:50:27 PM
Chris Martin was a last minute option after we had lost out on our 2 main targets, both on deadline day. Both had been to Motspur, the younger of the 2, again, on deadline day, but we were let down on paperwork side of things, although rumoured to already have a pre-contract in place ready for January (we will see) The other wanted far to much money, and tried holding us to ransom.

Our striker situation isn't deliberate, I know we were very active in the summer, but we were let down by many avenues, I was told 4-5 actual strikers in total.

I don't believe Martin is our only option, we'd be mad to make it permanent, well, for 9M anyway, when we'd spent most of our time getting rid of his double, McCormack.

I also believe that Martin wasn't Slavisa's choice either, he'd have been offered to him as an option by the Club, after everything else had fallen through, and wouldn't have had much choice.   
And the two main targets were?

My info has it we wanted Martin as soon as it was clear Ross was off, but Derby didn't want to sell as Pearson wanted to evaluate everyone, the reason it got done so late was they also wanted two players in got one in Vydra but NP decided to get rid of Martin anyway having only got one, no time left for it to be a permanent deal so was a loan with the option to buy this Jan or at the end of the season.

But I would be interested to know who the two main targets who you say turned us down were

cyriac and mounie were the two we were very heavily linked with by a lot of sources earlier in the window

but given the reference to deadline day and pre-contract i suspect he means gyan or adebayor, and omar bogle. not sure we really wanted any of those lot though
Agree re Mounie and Cyriac, the Cyriac deal fell apart as Oostende agreed a fee then wanted more, and Monuie didn't want to come.

As for the other two Gyan was dead before deadline day as I understand, he was seeking money and we rightly pulled out. As for Adebayor he was never a main target but a plan b if we could not get anyone else as he could sign at anytime. So basically my understanding is that neither of those were main targets

Bogle was at Motspur but we go the go ahead for Martin, rumour is he has signed a pre contract with us and we have done a deal with Grimsby if we wish to firm it up.
Every day is a Fulham day

Mince n Tatties

I believe through a friend of a friend if you know what I mean wink wink,one striker we tried to get in but collapsed arguing over the transfer fee was Jason Cummings of Hibernian,anyway its back on and could be the one who has signed pre contract as stated earlier.

PokerMatt

I spent some time thinking about our chances and what was happening whole we were dominating the game, then the goals Brighton scored.

I'm not sure we actually had that many chances to count as poor finishing. Stockdale pulled off a blinding stop from a half chance, another one was hit right at him from I think Aluko, and cairney at the end missed a glorious chance.

Brighton's goals came from crosses and were brilliantly taken. One half cleared and volleyed, the other, well the less said about our defending the better. But I can think of other times we needed to defend well from dangerous balls.

I couldn't name you one delicious cross we had yesterday. Our wingers played well, but they didn't drive down the flanks and whip it in. Both cut in and even odoi on the right would only cross with his left. Malone's crossing was off, which meant our chances all came through the middle. It was too narrow and Brighton figured that out second half and, added to their cynical diving and fouls stopped us in our tracks. So is the finishing the problem, or is it one dimensional chance creation?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Follow me: @mattdjourno

The Road Less Travelled

Quote from: PokerMatt on November 27, 2016, 07:55:02 PM
So is the finishing the problem, or is it one dimensional chance creation?

Porque no los dos?

PokerMatt

Quote from: The Road Less Travelled on November 27, 2016, 08:10:20 PM
Quote from: PokerMatt on November 27, 2016, 07:55:02 PM
So is the finishing the problem, or is it one dimensional chance creation?

Porque no los dos?
Well, yes qpr for example it was definitely the finishing.

I was just saying what I saw yesterday, we didn't create enough really good chances in the half where they barely touched the ball.

Then I suppose my own argument is undone a little by the fact they scored with a half chance and then their only proper chance.

Unlike a lot on here, I quite like what Martin offers. But what I'd give for someone like boa driving down the flanks.

Follow me: @mattdjourno

davew

Quote from: hopper on November 27, 2016, 03:58:26 PM
Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on November 27, 2016, 03:21:48 PM
Ridiculous to think the club aren't aware of this and surely negotiations for a striker have been well underway for months.
A couple of the players, Aluko is one, seem to have "Woodrow Rot" little composure in shooting situations and blasting well wide or well over the bar.
Do folks think this can be 'trained' out of someone or, you've either got it or you haven't  ?

Woodrow is actually not bad in front of goal though? Certainly better than Aluko.

In regards to training I've been thinking this season they need to go back to basics, aim straight and allow for deviation. Many easy changes from close range are going wide. Need to concentrate on hitting target.
I agree I think he would make a better goalkeeper!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Bassey the warrior

Stockdale to be fair made some cracking saves. In retrospect we shouldn't have let him go. Stekelenburg was the better keeper but didn't want to be here.

RaySmith

What about Sidwell? I was hoping the club would keep him, and he said he wanted to stay, though some on here  didn't like him - now him and Stockdale could be playing in the Prem next year.