watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Eric Bristow

Started by Slaphead in Qatar, November 29, 2016, 03:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slaphead in Qatar

Intellectual heavyweight decided to weigh into the football sex abuse scandal.
Outrageous comments

http://m.bbc.com/sport/darts/38141331

snarks

Yes it is outrageous and it's comments like that which stop victims speaking out about it. Having said that, I can also understand why a certain type of person would think that giving your abuser a good battering when older would be the thing to do.

westcliff white

He is a decent bloke Eric but his comments are wide of the mark here
Every day is a Fulham day

Twig

Sorry guys, but to in any way moderate or diminish the appallingly crass comments from EB is to miss the point. If you had suffered nightmares for years as a result of repeated sexual abuse at the hands of your trainer and had finally screwed up the courage to speak publicly, then to have someone say you're a wimp for not fighting back is bone headed stupidity and desperately hurtful.  If that is the sort of pub talk you tolerate then bloody good luck and I must make sure I never enjoy a pint in your local.

stevehawkinslidingtackle

Quote from: Twig on November 29, 2016, 06:13:26 PM
Sorry guys, but to in any way moderate or diminish the appallingly crass comments from EB is to miss the point. If you had suffered nightmares for years as a result of repeated sexual abuse at the hands of your trainer and had finally screwed up the courage to speak publicly, then to have someone say you're a wimp for not fighting back is bone headed stupidity and desperately hurtful.  If that is the sort of pub talk you tolerate then bloody good luck and I must make sure I never enjoy a pint in your local.

Yes, but if it ever happened to me, or my kids, I wouldnt think twice about waiting till the time was right, and snuffing him clean out from this planet.  No idle threats, and wouldnt ever bother with the police and letting him get a sympathy social worker diddums pat on the head. I would make sure he would suffer.
As for Bristow, I understand what he is saying, and yes it would be the opinion of many decent people, who would never tolerate this kind of long term abuse. I think he says this as an open threat to abusers in general, the way he said it was his downfall. Cockney old school geezers should think better about tweeting after a few pints. In fact they shouldnt really bother with social media. Say something that causes offence, and its curtains.
As for the accused, laying in hospital, I hope he remains brain dead, and is tortured every day, till he takes his last pathetic breath. Scum.

Fulham Tup North

I have always liked Eric Bristow and felt quite bad for him when he had that issue with 'The Yips', during his career.
To see him say the things he has said today, shows a complete lack of both compassion and understanding and makes him look very foolish I'm afraid.  Sorry Eric, very poor.  :(
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Snibbo

Very well put

:Haynes The Maestro:

Holders

I don't think that it's at all reasonable to expect a 9-year old to "fight back" against a person in authority, particularly one who has such influence over his dream career, and when in all probability he has no idea whatever that what's being done to him is so wrong.

I'm not one of those PC fanatics who throws his hands up at every unfashionable comment that you might hear down the pub but there's a huge difference between childish name-calling and physical abuse. Bristow was bang out of order with this one. Dickhead.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

dannyboi-ffc

You wouldn't want him as your Dad would you! Imagine having a problem and trying to tell him about it.

Imo it makes you less of a man to approach things in the way he suggests. Of course as a parent the first thing you would do is try and kill them if you found out but I think it is braver for a man to publicly open up about their trauma as a child rather than put on a balaclava and attack the sicko leaving the world none the wiser.

What Bristow seems to be missing is that the most important action now is to stop this happening again and to get those guilty locked away. If Bristow is so streetwise and a proper 'geezer' he would be aware that a paedophile who touched up little boys would not last 5 mins in prison without getting his comeuppance.

I'm not that sensitive when it comes to rights for other people. But calling these sickos poofs shows so much lack of class and ignorance. Because these weirdos touch little boys it does not make them Gay. It makes them poison and I don't get why he called them that. 

I can understanding somewhere between the lines he said those things out of anger and frustration that these people have got away with it for so long. But let's be honest to tweet what he did was ridiculous and it's ended his punditry career.

These ex players opening up are not wimps, they are very brave and potentially saving future kids from suffering at the hands of the same weirdos.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

RaySmith

Great post Danny.

EB's comments are not just misguided, but potentially very damaging to men who have been abused, and who already carry a burden of, irrational, guilt.

It takes a lot of courage to come out in public and admit his has happened to you, and it's only  victims speaking out that  means action is taken about this terrible thing - which went on happening in all parts of our society  back in the day, because noone ever said anything.

More generally, a rugby player  who  recently came out and spoke of the mental health problems that  ruined his life after career ending injury made a good point -"men need to feel they can speak about these kinds of problems - the phrase 'manning -up' as way of dealing with serious emotional issues, is a load of  rubbish, and needs to be abolished."

Also, of course, EB's advice would just make things a lot worse for  victims of abuse, who probably have rehearsed killing their abuser many times over, because it would just lead to the victim themselves being punished and going to gaol, and make their problems a heck of a lot worse.

J.Perkins

Isn't it funny that people hype up about child abuse when a story comes along, and yet no one really understands the full extent of the case.

And ultimately, you don't really care. You're not losing sleep over it. It doesn't destroy your lives. Leave it down to the parties involved.

Logicalman

Quote from: J.Perkins on November 30, 2016, 10:36:12 AM
Isn't it funny that people hype up about child abuse when a story comes along, and yet no one really understands the full extent of the case.

And ultimately, you don't really care. You're not losing sleep over it. It doesn't destroy your lives. Leave it down to the parties involved.

Perfectly put, sir. Walk a mile in one's shoes to discover empathy, sympathy is of little use.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

PokerMatt

I absolutely concur with Twig and Holders here.

It's impossible to understand what these poor guys went through as kids so his comments are massively disrespectful to what they've had to deal with.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

Whitesideup

Quote from: Logicalman on December 02, 2016, 12:17:26 PM
Quote from: J.Perkins on November 30, 2016, 10:36:12 AM

Perfectly put, sir. Walk a mile in one's shoes to discover empathy, sympathy is of little use.
Is this a quote or did you come up with it yourself? Because it's pretty darn good. Hope I am not showing ignorance not knowing.

Not sure I entirely agree, however. If you haven't been through something yourself, does that mean you can't relate to the feelings involved? Does that mean you cannot express an opinion one way or another?

bog

Quote from: stevehawkinslidingtackle on November 29, 2016, 10:55:54 PM

Yes, but if it ever happened to me, or my kids, I wouldnt think twice about waiting till the time was right, and snuffing him clean out from this planet.  No idle threats, and wouldnt ever bother with the police and letting him get a sympathy social worker diddums pat on the head. I would make sure he would suffer.
As for Bristow, I understand what he is saying, and yes it would be the opinion of many decent people, who would never tolerate this kind of long term abuse. I think he says this as an open threat to abusers in general, the way he said it was his downfall. Cockney old school geezers should think better about tweeting after a few pints. In fact they shouldnt really bother with social media. Say something that causes offence, and its curtains.
As for the accused, laying in hospital, I hope he remains brain dead, and is tortured every day, till he takes his last pathetic breath. Scum.

bog

Meant to put a  :plus one: to this post.

092.gif