more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

MacDonald Last Night

Started by Horsfield_No9, December 14, 2016, 11:50:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horsfield_No9

What's the story here?

He made 2 pretty bad challenges and was lucky to not get booked for either and then a third challenge that ended their striker's game. While the striker was being treated it looked like Slav gave him a good talking to. He was then subbed at half time for Piazon (who was excellent I thought)
First game: Fulham 4 Burnley 0, December 12th 1998.

Gbgera

My guess would be SJ realised Rotherham would sit behind the ball and macdonald screening the defence wouldn't be needed, the extra attacking player also helped us break them down far quicker than I expected. I also expect he wanted to give piazon game time ahead of Saturday as I expect him to take martins place in the 11, although not necessarily as the striker

H4usuallysitting

I think there striker had a hamstring off the ball problem - we didn't need a defensive midfield player as Rotherham were building a wall on there 18 yard line....don't think there was anything in him being subbed

copthornemike

Looked as though it was a brave, but in the end correct, tactical decision by SJ.
I thought MacDonald was our most impressie and effective player in the first half - but as noted by others maybe SJ thought an extra more attack minded midfielder was required with Rotherham very effectively and reasonably 'parking their bus' defensively.
I thought MacDonald and Piazon were our best players in different ways.

Carborundum

Izzy Browne's departure caused a sagging Rotherham to deflate completely.  Credit to SJ for making a swift tactical switch in response. 

KMcD did fine.  But there's something nagging me about our possession stats.  Checking on google it seems these are determined by Opta based on number of passes made.  We make huge numbers of passes just to get up to halfway. Often it seems that  good opportunities to drive into space and force markers to break cover are ignored.

Safety first?  Players buffing up their stats?  Players knowing their limitations?  Manager instructions?  Cocktail of these?

Chutney

We didn't need a holding player and the change was the right one, piazon was excellent when he came on!
C O Y W

@jolslover

Applaud Jokanovic, Love him tactically but sometimes criticise his subs. Was a great decision to bring Piazon on however
STH H3

nose

i thought it tactical. i didn't like cairney dropping so deep but he did have a cracking second half, if you discount his wayward shooting!

filham

I think MacDonald is always one tackle away from a red card but seemed no worse than usual last night and therefore assumed the substitution was tactical.