Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (24.08.10)

Started by White Noise, August 24, 2010, 11:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Adams seeks Fulham revenge in Carling Cup

Published 20:42 24/08/10

By MirrorFootball

Port Vale boss Micky Adams wants his team to wipe the smile off Mohamed Al Fayed's face.

The Fulham owner sacked Adams in 1997 so Kevin Keegan could launch a top-flight return.

He is back in League Two now with unbeaten Vale, who shocked QPR in the first round, storming to a 3-1 win at Loftus Road.

Adams, whose No.2 Geoff Horsfield is also an ex-Fulham player, said: "If you are going to pull off a shock you need a confident side – and we are.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Port-Vale-boss-Mickey-Adams-wants-revenge-against-Fulham-owner-Mohamed-Al-Fayed-in-Carling-Cup-article563039.html#ixzz0xZ67z5pT

White Noise

Fulham clinch Halliche deal

Published 10:11 24/08/10

By Pa Sports

Fulham have confirmed the signing Algeria defender Rafik Halliche on a three-year deal from Portuguese side Benfica.

The 23-year-old has moved to Craven Cottage for an undisclosed fee.

Halliche told Fulham's official website: "I'm so happy that my transfer to Fulham has been finalised."

He added: "For me, the Premier League is the best league in the world and to be able to play alongside some wonderful players and to be given an opportunity to compete against some fantastic teams for a team like Fulham is something that I've always dreamed of doing."

Halliche, who joined Benfica in 2008 but spent the last two seasons on loan to fellow Portuguese outfit Nacional, is Mark Hughes' side's fourth signing of the summer after Philippe Senderos, Jonathan Greening and Moussa Dembele.

He has won 20 caps for Algeria since making his debut against Senegal in May 2008 and played every minute of their World Cup campaign in South Africa, including the goalless draw with England in Cape Town.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-clinch-Halliche-deal-article562633.html#ixzz0xZ6UejbG

White Noise

http://www.fulhamweb.co.uk/news/Fulham-against-Port-Vale-Team-News.aspx

Fulham against Port Vale - Team News

last updated Tuesday 24th August 2010, 10:44 PM Fulham (from):

Schwarzer, Zuberbuhler, Stockdale,

Stoor, Baird, Paintsil, Hangeland, Hughes, Konchesky, Kelly, Milson, Halliche,

Gera, Riise, Murphy, Dikgacoi, Etuhu, Davies, Greening, Duff,

Dempsey, E Johnson, Zamora, Elm, Dembele.

Fulham's new signings Moussa Dembele and Rafik Halliche are both available.

Goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer remains doubtful with the back problem which prevented him from playing in the draws with Bolton and Manchester United.

Long-term injury victims Philippe Senderos (Achilles), Andrew Johnson (knee) and Diomansy Kamara (foot) are out.

Port Vale (from):

Team news to follow .........

Port Vale boss Micky Adams is unlikely to make changes for the Carling Cup second-round clash with Premier League club Fulham.

Vale won 3-1 at Southend on Saturday and Adams is likely to stick with the same squad for the trip to Craven Cottage.

Striker Marc Richards looks set to start after scoring twice at Roots Hall to seal Vale's third consecutive away win of the season.

Kris Taylor and Tommy Fraser are likely to keep their places on the bench.

Doug Loft is ruled out with two broken ribs and a punctured lung which he sustained during the 1-1 league draw with Chesterfield.

The midfielder is the only injury concern

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2010/08/halliche-in-line-for-debut/

Halliche in line for debut

by Dan on August 24, 2010

Rafik Halliche could make his Fulham debut in tomorrow's League Cup tie against Port Vale.

The Algerian centre back, who completed his £2m move from Benfica on Monday, has been included in Mark Hughes' squad for the second round fixture at Craven Cottage and could replace either Brede Hangeland or Aaron Hughes at the heart of the Fulham defence, especially with Saturday's trip to Blackpool in mind. Moussa Dembele, impressive from the bench against Manchester United on Sunday, is expected to make his full debut against the League Two side.

According to the Press Association, Rob Milsom, Kagisho Dikgacoi, Frederik Stoor and Eddie Johnson are all available for selection.

White Noise

E. Johnson: U.S. players still fight for EPL respect

LONDON (AP) -- American players are still struggling to be respected in the English Premier League, U.S. forward Eddie Johnson said.

Since joining Fulham from Major League Soccer's Kansas City Wizards in January 2008, Johnson has spent time on loan at second-tier club Cardiff and Greece's Aris.

Johnson has yet to appear in a game for Fulham this season, but the 26-year-old Florida native can draw inspiration from Clint Dempsey, who has become one of the London club's stars since arriving at Craven Cottage in 2007.

"Being an American, it's tough to come over here and do well in such a big league where American players are still fighting for respect," Johnson said. "I know it was tough for Clint Dempsey when he first came over and he had to fight his way into the team.

"But the club took a chance on me, so now it's time for me to deliver. ... I'm at the stage where I should be playing regular first-team football and I feel like, after the loans I've had at Cardiff and in Greece, I'm ready."

Johnson hopes his fortunes will change with Mark Hughes now in charge after Roy Hodgson left Fulham to manage Liverpool in the offseason.

"With a new coach coming in my job as a player is to try and impress day in, day out, and I'm in a good environment to do that," Johnson said in an official Fulham magazine. "A lot of the boys such as myself like to express themselves and that's something that maybe we couldn't do as much with the style we played with Roy, which was more focused on being well-organized and playing a lot of one- and two-touch football.

"Our new coaches put the emphasis on attack and like players to express themselves. ... There are times in a game when you do need to take more than two touches."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/soccer/08/23/johnson.epl.ap/index.html#ixzz0xZ7cNVl9