watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Nice win lads !

Started by Robbie, December 26, 2016, 05:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

I was at the Brighton game and were almsot as dominant against one of the favourites for promotion without, sadly, scoring the goals. COYW  :yay: :clap_hands:

092.gif

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: grandad on December 26, 2016, 05:48:53 PM
Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on December 26, 2016, 05:13:59 PM
Dominated the possession etc etc etc yet relied on two set piece goals to take the three points.

Does that mean we still flattered to deceive against a poor side or we were business like achieving a win during a testing time ?

Look at the stats. Possession 61%. Shots 15 with 6 on target against Ipswich 3 shots & none on target. Can´t do much better than that. Well satisfied with a job well done.

Well you can!
I would suggest those stats are similar to games we have failed to win and we should have scored more today.

Yes it was a job well done, but we dominated the game without converting our performance into the goals (from open play) the stats would suggest we were due.

Yet we never looked in too much bother and converted a couple of set pieces to claim the 3 points. that's Fine with me but we all know there's been a pattern where our possession and general play doesn't deliver wins

Like all good teams sometimes its the hard work on the training ground that wins the game, not the flowing football and today was one of them which is fine, I'm not criticising, just posing a question.

Considering how we have played teams off the park and failed to win in recent times I'm asking was today a turning point where we are more business like, professional and ruthless or  will the lack of finishing while on top continue to be a problem?

I repeat, this is not a criticism, personally I'm happy as I see progress throughout the season and I think this is another step up but thought I would pose the question for debate.

The best teams grind out results while often we have continued to be fickle, subject to the refs interpretation and the oppositions bullying but a bit like the previous Fulham team that won promotion I'm starting to see us impose 'our' game on the opposition more and more.

And winning, they say, becomes a habit, however its achieved.

AnEssexFan

A disallowed goal that was wrongly disallowed, amd Ayite's glaring miss means it should have been at least 4. But, a very impressive performance, a clean sheet, and a good following of over 900 fulham fans!
@leightonrw07

WokinghamWhite

I was at the Reading match today. I think the 3-1 scoreline was flattering to Reading. Too much christmas pudding maybe, but if they'd been playing Fulham today I'd like to think that we'd have comfortably beaten them. They only started to get on top of the match after Howson's red card and the subsequent penalty that put them 2-1 up. Up until then it was wide open and they looked vulnerable every time Norwich came forward. Whatever was ailing them today, let's hope it lasts through Friday.

Jonaldiniho 88

I'm extremely happy with how we are progressing. I do think we are not converting enough of our chances and feel that Martin could be used more effectively. Everyone throughout the pitch is heavily involved apart from him. I see he is doing well and probably all is asked of him and I would like to sign him up. I do however believe to go to the next level there is room for the team, not so much him to get him more involved. Teams are marking him but he isn't proving a threat in open play enough for me and the more he is involved, the more goals he scores and I believe the more goals everyone else scores. TBH if we can keep up how we are playing I will be over the moon. Well done to everyone involved today.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: AnEssexFan on December 26, 2016, 07:04:31 PM
A disallowed goal that was wrongly disallowed, amd Ayite's glaring miss means it should have been at least 4. But, a very impressive performance, a clean sheet, and a good following of over 900 fulham fans!

We had lot more than that I believe,apart from the away section there were some all round ground.
My friend from Newmarket an Ipswich fan who drove me to the game said we had fans in their end and other sections.

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: Statto on December 26, 2016, 07:19:32 PM
Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on December 26, 2016, 07:03:51 PM
Quote from: grandad on December 26, 2016, 05:48:53 PM
Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on December 26, 2016, 05:13:59 PM
Dominated the possession etc etc etc yet relied on two set piece goals to take the three points.

Does that mean we still flattered to deceive against a poor side or we were business like achieving a win during a testing time ?

Look at the stats. Possession 61%. Shots 15 with 6 on target against Ipswich 3 shots & none on target. Can´t do much better than that. Well satisfied with a job well done.

Well you can!
I would suggest those stats are similar to games we have failed to win and we should have scored more today.

Yes it was a job well done, but we dominated the game without converting our performance into the goals (from open play) the stats would suggest we were due.

Yet we never looked in too much bother and converted a couple of set pieces to claim the 3 points. that's Fine with me but we all know there's been a pattern where our possession and general play doesn't deliver wins

Like all good teams sometimes its the hard work on the training ground that wins the game, not the flowing football and today was one of them which is fine, I'm not criticising, just posing a question.

Considering how we have played teams off the park and failed to win in recent times I'm asking was today a turning point where we are more business like, professional and ruthless or  will the lack of finishing while on top continue to be a problem?

I repeat, this is not a criticism, personally I'm happy as I see progress throughout the season and I think this is another step up but thought I would pose the question for debate.

The best teams grind out results while often we have continued to be fickle, subject to the refs interpretation and the oppositions bullying but a bit like the previous Fulham team that won promotion I'm starting to see us impose 'our' game on the opposition more and more.

And winning, they say, becomes a habit, however its achieved.

I usually find I agree with you but must say I don't think I agree with  this argument. Maybe I've misunderstood. Are we saying it would be better if we hadn't dominated the game, and only made a couple of chances, just So we could at least say we've been efficient with those chances and taken them both? Or alternatively we're saying we should have made loads of chances, as we did, but taken them all and won 5-0, is that it? Sorry but to me dominating other teams is better than being dominated yourselves, irrespective of your efficiency/profligacy with the chances you make. And it's not realistic to expect 5-0 wins every week. So within the realm of reasonable expectation a performance like today's is as good as it gets IMO.

I didn't make a very good job of putting my thoughts into words (too much port, too early) and ended up debating with myself.

Simply, our improvement this season has seen us play nice football without delivering the points its deserved at times and as you say we can't win 5-0 every time we play well, so I'm pleased to see us managing the game better over 90 mins and coming away with the points.

Its always good to create chances but its good to know we are strong enough on days when they don't go in to be confident in defence and proficient at set pieces.

I think we have moved up a level in our game management in recent weeks and today's result is good evidence, hope I'm right and they build on it.

I think today's game shows we've turned a corner in performance just wondered if other think so, or its just another Fulhamish moment?

Mince n Tatties

They were chasing shadows most of the game,my Ipswich pal who I was at the game with said no other side has played with that confidence at Portman Rd this season..I add to to that after watching today Ipswich are poor,but you have to get results against the likes of them.
Players are playing with more confidence and of course winning does that.
If we can stuff Reading and Brighton then Sky's the limit..

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on December 26, 2016, 08:20:15 PM
They were chasing shadows most of the game,my Ipswich pal who I was at the game with said no other side has played with that confidence at Portman Rd this season..I add to to that after watching today Ipswich are poor,but you have to get results against the likes of them.
Players are playing with more confidence and of course winning does that.
If we can stuff Reading and Brighton then Sky's the limit..

Sky is the limit. But Sky Sports appear not to know we exist.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.