more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (07/01/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 07, 2017, 08:49:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Cairney's Goal Nomination

Tom Cairney's stunning volley at Wolverhampton Wanderers has been nominated for the Sky Bet Championship Goal of the Month award for December.

The midfielder put his side into a 3-1 lead with a move straight from the training ground, as he met Stefan Johansen's free-kick first time and sent a perfectly executed effort beyond the reach of the goalkeeper and into the net.

Cairney is up against Bristol City's Luke Freeman and Burton Albion's Jamie Ward for the accolade, which is voted for by fans.

The vote is now open, so head over to skysports.com to choose Cairney's wonder strike as December Goal of the Month. Voting is open until Tuesday, with the winner announced next Friday.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/january/06/cairneys-goal-nomination

WhiteJC

THE NEUTRAL'S GUIDE TO FALLING IN LOVE WITH... FULHAM

Nickname: The Whites, The Cottagers

Concise Summary: Hospitable south-west London club by the river, once famous for sporting a statue of Michael Jackson, which has now mercifully been removed.

Famous fans: Keith Allen, Lily Allen, Hugh Grant, Scorpio from Gladiators, Daniel Radcliffe (though he's 'not that into football', the bedwetter).

For almost a decade and a half starting just after the turn of the millennium, Fulham were a neutral's favourite amongst Premier League sides. Generally seen as a friendly club with a modest, affable, disproportionately middle-class fanbase, a trip to Craven Cottage was widely considered to be one of the most genial away days in the top flight. With the ground situated on the silty banks of the Thames, bordered by the cloistered greenery of Bishop's Park and only a stone's throw from Putney Bridge, there are few more aesthetically pleasing places to watch football, and no better walk to a stadium in the country. On matchday, all the grand Victorian public houses are spilling over with white-shirted Fulham supporters, drinking bitter, radiating warm humour and cheerful fatalism about the events of the next few hours. If that isn't appealing enough, Fulham fans also had a healthy contempt for Chelsea before it was fashionable. Their temperament couldn't be much more different from that of their local rivals, even if Stamford Bridge is barely two miles away.

A lower-league team for much of their history, Fulham's rise to the Premier League now seems like something of a football fairytale. Bought up by Egyptian businessman and former Harrods owner Mohamed Al-Fayed in 1997, money was made available to improve the squad like never before. They were perhaps a precursor to the modern Bournemouth side in that sense: bankrolled to success by a wealthy owner with calculated designs on Premier League status, yet somehow still able to preserve a sense of starry-eyed romance in the process. Under the guidance of Kevin Keegan and then Jean Tigana, Fulham had soon climbed from Division Three to the top flight within the space of five seasons, grabbing headlines and national acclaim the likes of which was almost unprecedented in their well heeled corner of south-west London. Al-Fayed even went as far as to say that Fulham could compete with the biggest clubs in England, notoriously claiming that he would turn them into "the Manchester United of the South."

Still, while Fulham's rise was sublime on the surface, the golden era of Al-Fayed was never without its flaws and difficulties. For a while, there were fears over the future of the club, with debts spiralling to fearful heights and Craven Cottage mooted as a target of ambitious local property developers. Thankfully, a move away from the area never materialised, though Fulham were forced to spend two years lodging with QPR at Loftus Road while improvements were made to their spiritual home. Of all the many football stadiums lost to lucrative redevelopment over the past few decades, Craven Cottage would have been the greatest tragedy. It was, and remains, one of the most iconic settings in English football, with its clusters of wooden seats, wooden staircases and stylish Edwardian facade. Indeed, the red-brick Johnny Haynes stand is a Grade II listed building, along with the famous pavilion (or eponymous 'Cottage') which stands at the Putney end of the ground.

Fulham never did manage to usurp Manchester United and, in his later years at the club, Al-Fayed scaled back his involvement and investment. His relationship with the fans was sporadically strained, not least when he erected a statue of Michael Jackson outside the ground in tribute to the late singer, a close personal friend of his. This was the cause of much mockery, which prompted Al-Fayed to proclaim that those who didn't like it could, in his opinion, "go to hell." Nonetheless, Fulham were still in for some special moments on the pitch, not least during their famous run to the Europa League final, which included victories over Juventus, Wolfsburg, Hamburg and Shakhtar Donetsk before a heartbreaking extra time loss to Atletico Madrid. Despite their eventual defeat in the final, seeing their team making waves in Europe represented dreamland for the supporters. Fulham, a fourth-tier club just over a decade earlier, had seemingly reached the pinnacle of their potential. Unfortunately, from there, the football at Craven Cottage would go steadily downhill.

Over the course of the next few seasons, Fulham could only really tread water in the top flight, and soon found themselves gasping for breath. Slow decline under Martin Jol became extremely rapid decline under Rene Meulensteen and Felix Magath, with the latter ranking among the most disastrous managerial appointments ever made in the Premier League. Fulham were relegated to the Championship at the end of the 2013/14 campaign, where they continued to struggle for results, belief and confidence. Whether or not the two things can be directly linked, the start of this slump roughly coincided with the purchase of the club by Shahid Khan, a Pakistani-American billionaire who made his fortune in manufacturing and snapped up Fulham from Al-Fayed in the summer of 2013.

Now, several seasons on, things are once again looking up for Fulham. This season has been one of modest recovery, which has seen them go on several good runs and compete for a place in the upper echelons of the Championship. In the meantime, Fulham supporters have had time to reflect on the Premier League era, and reassess what it means to watch football at Craven Cottage. Relegation from the top flight is always likely to mean a cultural change, not least by sorting the fair-weather fans from the loyalists who define the atmosphere and ethos of a club.

Chatting to fans at the Cottage ahead of their win over Rotherham in December, it appears as though, despite recent struggles, the spirit of Fulham is alive and well. Though several supporters mention that the fanbase has been more divided over the last few seasons than it perhaps was previously, there is a cautious sense of optimism about the coherence of the club and what the future might hold. Fans are characteristically open and welcoming, reflecting on the vagaries of supporting Fulham with exasperated laughter and wry smiles. First up we speak to the wryest of the bunch, Sammy James, who hosts the independent Fulhamish podcast.

Considering that Fulham's decline coincided with Shahid Khan's arrival, we ask Sammy what he thinks the owner's reputation is like amongst the fans at the moment. While he admits that Khan's tenure has been anything but smooth sailing, Sammy points to mitigating circumstances, not least the vaguely shabby state in which he found the club and the fact that he has spent considerable sums since. While some of Khan's investment has been ineffective and ill-advised, Fulham fans are not at the point of running out of patience with their mustachioed benefactor, not that they are a naturally turbulent bunch anyway. "I feel a bit sorry for Shahid Khan, to be honest," says Sammy. "It's been a poor transition of ownership, but I think his heart is in the right place and his motives are genuine."

In general agreement with Sammy is fellow supporter and Fulhamish podcast regular, Jack Collins. He says that, while Khan has his detractors amongst the fanbase, most feel that the club has stabilised in the aftermath of his takeover and is now moving in roughly the right direction. "There's a mix amongst fans, and obviously it's difficult to say for everyone," Jack tells us. "But, I personally think he's trying to do good things and to move the club forward." There certainly seems to be an impression amongst supporters that, despite his teething problems, Khan only wants success for Fulham and is willing to facilitate that. There are many teams who lack similar financial backing and, as such, there is little doom and gloom around the club, even if the fans' confidence comes with a few characteristic caveats.

Beyond the club's ownership, then, what else has changed in the past few years? How have the fans adapted to the Championship, and how has the club adjusted to the realities of the second tier? Not so long ago, Fulham boasted a side that included the likes of Danny Murphy, Moussa Dembele and Clint Dempsey at the peak of his powers, not to mention fan favourites like Damien Duff, Andy Johnson and John Arne Riise. Now, while Fulham still have a decent squad with a smattering of exciting players, there is considerably less by way of box-office talent to draw in the casual spectator. That has trimmed down attendances somewhat, and seemingly left Fulham with a more committed fanbase for it. Speaking to supporters, the idea of renewed 'identity' crops up on several occasions, and most seem to be of the opinion that the fanbase has gone back to its roots.

What is perhaps most interesting is to hear fans saying that, tacitly, there are many who prefer the Championship. Despite the glamour and potential riches of the Premier League, the top flight comes with its own drawbacks, and perhaps lacks the sociability and authenticity of the second tier. While Fulham fans obviously want the club to be as successful as possible, there is also considerable fondness for the camaraderie of Championship football; for away days to Huddersfield, Wolves and Ipswich in all their unpretentious glory. "Personally, I quite like the fact that the glamour has been slightly taken away, and that the football is centre stage again" Sammy says. "Fans aren't turning up here just to watch Cristiano Ronaldo – they're turning up to watch Fulham."

Of all the football clubs in London, Fulham probably have the fiercest competition for supporters. With the corporate beacon of Stamford Bridge so close by, there are many kids in south-west London who will now inevitably decide to support Chelsea over their less decorated adversaries. On top of that, the club also shares a catchment zone with Brentford and QPR, meaning that even those of a lower-league disposition will not necessarily be drawn to Fulham. That is part of what makes Fulham so unique, however. Supporting the club takes a certain mindset and a natural affinity with Craven Cottage. For those who appreciate the simple things in life, watching football in so handsome a setting is a privilege in and of itself. In terms of the actual football, supporting Fulham is never going to represent an easy association with success, and accordingly is about as far from tedious posturing as one can possibly get.

This is all fundamental to Fulham's identity, as has been quietly revitalised in the aftermath of relegation. Gone are the customary Premier League tourist fans, and left behind are the people who love the club for what it is. Fulham are not the slickest nor the most successful club in London, and may well have a mixed few years ahead of them on the pitch. Still, no other club lays claim to the striking architecture of Craven Cottage, to football on the river, and to a fanbase quite as affable as theirs. Fall for all of that, and there are few other pleasures in life which compare to a trip to Fulham on a Saturday. Fall for the club's distinguished charms, and Craven Cottage soon begins to feel like home.

Words: @W_F_Magee // Videos: @Jim_Weeks

https://sports.vice.com/en_uk/article/the-neutrals-guide-to-falling-in-love-with-fulham

WhiteJC

Team News

When asked if he is going to field a strong starting XI in the Emirates FA Cup on Sunday, Slaviša Jokanović confirmed that he would.

"Yes, I am going to choose from the players who are available for the game, our best team," he explained.

He will be without a number of First Teamers for the meeting with Cardiff City, though. Floyd Ayité and Neeskens Kebano are away on international duty, while Tomas Kalas remains sidelined and fellow centre-back Michael Madl is a doubt.

"There is the possibility Michael Madl could be available to play some part of the game," Jokanović revealed. "We have to be careful with Kalas. I expect next game or the one after he is going to be available."

On-loan striker Chris Martin remains out of contention, with Jokanović stating: "You know my position, it's the same as the Club's and he is going to stay with us.

"This situation takes up so much energy, and I have more important things to think about. I'm not coaching only one player, I'm coaching 23 players. You know my position, and I don't have any intention to change it."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/january/06/team-news

WhiteJC

BBC yet to respond to complaint over 'insulting' kick-off move

Fan groups at Fulham and Cardiff City have written to BBC Wales expressing their dismay at the corporation's decision to reschedule the kick-off of their FA Cup tie to 11.30am for television broadcast.

FSF affiliates The Fulham Supporters' Trust and Cardiff City Supporters' Trust have written a joint letter to the head of sport at BBC Wales to make their displeasure at the unusually early kick-off time known. Currently, there is only one direct pre-match train service available to Fulham fans, arriving into Cardiff at 10.59am.

"Picking a time of 11.30am is particularly insulting to the supporters who are the lifeblood of the game," said Neil Springate, FSF national council member and the Fulham Supporters Trust secretary.

"We are appreciative of both clubs' attempts to provide free travel options for their fans, but any previous planned initiatives to improve attendance at this fixture will have been doomed by this decision.

"As a public service broadcaster, BBC Wales should have a duty to consider the wider implications of their scheduling - and the fact that you have chosen this kick-off time shows just how far the ordinary fan has slipped down the pecking order in the modern game."

At the time of publication, the BBC has yet to respond to the complaint.

- See more at: http://fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/fulham-fans-unhappy-with-bbcs-insulting-kick-off-time#sthash.rmbbvzhz.dpuf

WhiteJC

Jokanović's FA Cup Preview

Slaviša Jokanović is a big fan of the FA Cup, and he's keen for his Fulham team to spring a surprise this year.

The Whites' campaign begins with a morning trip to Cardiff City on Sunday, and our Head Coach is hoping to progress as far as possible.

"It's the best cup competition in the world and, like always, our ambition is to win the next game," he stated. "We're going to arrive at this game with the same ambition as the matches before.

"It's very well organised, it's got so much history behind the competition. We are still thinking we can win the game in front of us and we can try and compete with Man United, Man City and Chelsea and make some kind of surprise.

"It's only five games until you play at Wembley. Will I experiment? No. I will try and organise us the best we can in this moment, and we're going to try and be stronger in this game which is immediately in front of us."

Jokanović – who featured in Chelsea's FA Cup Semi-Final victory against Fulham in 2002 – comes up against Neil Warnock for the first time, and while he has a lot of admiration for his Cardiff counterpart, he remains confident of securing safe passage into Round Four.

"I, like him and everyone else, will try to find a way to win the game," he explained. "I have my style, he has his style, and that's it.

"I have to respect his long career and the many games that he has coached in this country. He is full of experience, and I don't expect anything to come easy for me, but I expect my team is going to be better and that we can pass this round."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/january/06/slavisa-jokanovics-fa-cup-preview

WhiteJC

Burgess' Bury Loan

The Club can confirm that Cameron Burgess has joined Bury on loan for the remainder of the season.

The move comes following the expiry of his loan spell at Oldham Athletic, for whom he made 31 appearances in the first half of the season.

Bury currently sit outside of the Sky Bet League One relegation zone on goal difference, and Burgess could make his debut for the club at Scunthorpe United on Saturday.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/january/06/burgess-bury-loan

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: WhiteJC on January 07, 2017, 08:57:19 AM

Team News

When asked if he is going to field a strong startinuld t
On-loan striker Chris Martin remains out of contention, with Jokanović stating: "You know my position, it's the same as the Club's and he is going to stay with us.

"This situation takes up so much energy, and I have more important things to think about. I'm not coaching only one player, I'm coaching 23 players. You know my position, and I don't have any intention to change it."
http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/january/06/team-news
Got to love his forthrightness and honesty !
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

WhiteJC

Fulham in talks with Standard Liege over deal for Cisse
by DAN on JANUARY 6, 2017

Fulham are in talks with Standard Liege over a potential deal to sign defensive midfielder Ibrahima Cisse, according to reports from Belgium this morning.

The powerful midfielder of Ghanaian descent has only been at Standard since the summer after signing from KV Mechelen for a fee of around £750,000 in July. Cisse, who has quickly impressed the Standard fans since his introduction into the side, has made 15 first team appearances, scoring a single goal. That strike came against Panathinaikos in the group stages of the Europa League.

Standard are open to selling some of their leading young talents in order to finance incoming transfers this month. Cisse would represent serious competition for Kevin McDonald and veteran Scott Parker at the base of Slavisa Jokanovic's midfield. The 22 year-old is highly rated on the continent and it would be a real coup were Fulham able to complete a deal to bring him to Craven Cottage. The Championship club would have to pay significantly more than what Standard did in the summer to secure his services – the Belgian side's asking price is thought to be around £2m.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/01/fulham-in-talks-with-standard-liege-over-deal-for-cisse/

WhiteJC

Whites without five for FA Cup trip to Cardiff

Fulham will be without five first-team players for Sunday's FA Cup third round trip to Cardiff City.

The Whites will once again have to do without forward Chris Martin, who has refused to play for club since demanding a return to Derby County and the ending of his current loan deal. The striker has been left out of Fulham's last two league fixtures against Reading and Brighton and Hove Albion.

With Tomas Kalas still sidelined by a hamstring problem and Michael Madl having not recovered from the illness that ruled him out of Monday's defeat at the hands of Brighton, Ragnar Sigurdsson and Tim Ream will continue at the heart of the defence as they are Fulham's only fit senior centre backs.

Slavisa Jokanovic is also without wingers Floyd Ayite and Neeskens Kebano. The pair are preparing for the start of the African Cup of Nations with Togo and the Democratic Republic of Congo respectively.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/01/whites-without-five-for-fa-cup-trip-to-cardiff/

WhiteJC

Cardiff City v Fulham

SUN, 08 JAN 2017FA CUP - THIRD ROUND
Venue: Cardiff City Stadium

BBC coverage
How to follow:
Listen on BBC Radio 5 live and BBC local radio; text commentary on the BBC Sport website

Michael Madl has made 12 appearances for Fulham this season

Cardiff are without defender Bruno Ecuele Manga, who is away with Gabon at the Africa Cup of Nations.

But Greg Halford could make his debut after joining from Rotherham on Friday.

Chris Martin may not feature for Fulham, although boss Slavisa Jokanovic is adamant the on-loan striker will not return to parent club Derby.

Defender Michael Madl could return after sickness, but Floyd Ayite (Togo) and Neeskens Kebano (DR Congo) are on international duty.

MATCH FACTS
These two sides played out a 2-2 draw at Craven Cottage in a league meeting back in August.
This is the fifth consecutive FA Cup tie that Cardiff City have been drawn at home, but they have lost three of the previous four.
Five of Fulham's last seven FA Cup ties have been taken to a replay following a draw in the original match.
Fulham's last win in the FA Cup dates back to January 2014, where they won 3-0 against Norwich (D4 L3 since then).
Joe Ralls scored the opening goal in Cardiff's last FA Cup win (3-1 v Colchester in January 2015), which was also his last appearance in the competition.
The Whites have kept just one clean sheet in their last 13 away games in this competition.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38481666

WhiteJC

When will the Reading FC v Fulham rearranged fixture be?
The original game on Friday, December 30 was postponed at half time due to fog at Madejski Stadium

The date of the rearranged fixture between Reading FC and Fulham is set to be announced at the start of next week.

The original Championship game on Friday, December 30, had to abandoned by referee James Linington at half time due to fog at Madejski Stadium.

Precise details about the rearranged fixture will be announced at the start of week beginning Monday, January 9.

With free Saturdays between now and the end of the season few and far between, the game is expected to take place in midweek.

Should both teams be knocked out of the FA Cup this weekend, then the game could take place in the week allocated for FA Cup third round replays.

This is the week beginning Monday, January 16.

Reading take on Manchester United on Saturday , while Fulham travel to Cardiff City on Sunday morning.

If one of the sides does require a replay, possible midweek dates could include some time in week beginning Monday, January 23, February 6, February 20 or February 27.

Both Royals and Fulham will need to mutually agree a date for the fixture, along with the Football League before official details are announced.

Ticket details will also be announced in due course.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reading-fc-v-fulham-rearranged-12418662

WhiteJC

2 MIDFIELDERS FULHAM MUST ATTEMPT TO SEAL A DEAL FOR THIS MONTH

Fulham certainly look like contenders for a play-off spot this year under boss Slavisa Jokanovic and currently find themselves lying in 10th position, 6 points behind Sheffield Wednesday who occupy the final play-off spot.

Fulham do, however, have a game in hand on a number of the teams above them.

The platform has certainly been set for Fulham to launch a genuine promotion challenge this season after a disappointing couple of years in the second tier.

January looks like it could be a pivotal month for the club as the right additions could catapult them up the table and into the play-off positions.

Fulham pride themselves on being a hard team to beat and have only lost 6 times this season in 24 league games.

One area they could improve in the upcoming window is the options in midfield.

This article is going to take a look at two talented midfield men that Fulham should attempt to secure a deal for this month...

MAX POWER

The first midfielder that Fulham should be taking an interest in this month is Wigan Athletic man Max Power, who has been reportedly attracting the attention of numerous Championship clubs already this month.

The former Tranmere man is currently stuck deep in a relegation battle with Wigan and would no doubt welcome the opportunity to escape the DW in exchange for Craven Cottage and a push for the play-offs.

The midfield man has already made over 50 appearances for Wigan and has become a key figure for gaffer Warren Joyce who is likely to do everything in his power to keep Power at The Latics for as long as possible.

JERMAINE ANDERSON

Jermaine Anderson is certainly one of the hottest properties in League One after he has consistently impressed for Peterborough United over the past few seasons, and is someone who Fulham should be taking a serious interest in.

The former Arsenal trainee has already made made over 50 appearances for The Posh, and has been touted by many as possessing both the physical and technical attributes to comfortably make the step up to the 2nd tier.

Anderson is a technically gifted midfielder who is very comfortable on the ball; he has a great range of passing but he is also not afraid of a tackle and will stick his foot in when needed.
His potential has been recognised at international level with Anderson being capped by England at both under-18 and under-20 level.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/2-midfielders-fulham-must-attempt-to-seal-a-deal-for-this-month/

WhiteJC

Fulham: Striker Martin reiterates desire to move – refuses to play in FA Cup

As the end of 2016 neared, Fulham's on-loan striker Chris Martin amde a decision that wouldn't have endeared him to either the Cottagers' fans or management – he refused to play against Reading.

The Scotland striker's aim was a straightforward one; by withdrawing from the Reading game he was wanting to force a move back to the Midlands and parent club Derby County with 'family reasons' being the main pull for him to return to his parent club.

Martin made the move to London back in August with a loan-deal with a potential option to but the front-man for £9million at the end of his loan spell. However Martin has now demanded that his new club cut short his deal, citing personal/family reasons behind his request.

The former Norwich front-man has scored seven times in his last eleven games for the Cottagers but Martin now looks to make a return to the Midlands to play under one of his former managers, Steve McClaren.

Now the seven-goal frontman is at it again, refusing to turn out for the Londoners against Cardiff on Saturday in the FA Cup Third Round claiming he has a hamstring injury.

However, the Scot's pleas will fall on deaf ears with Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic insisting that there is no way that Martin is going back to parent club Derby ahead of his eventual return at the end of the current season.

Speaking previously on the matter and quoted in The Sun, Jokanovic said unequivocably: "We signed the contract, all three sides – Derby, Fulham and Chris Martin – and there is no option for a recall. He was going to stay until the end of the season. That is my position and Fulham's position. And that's it."

http://the72.co.uk/71763/fulham-striker-martin-reiterates-desire-to-move-refuses-to-play-in-fa-cup/

WhiteJC

Fulham board back Jokanovic in Martin stand-off

The Fulham board are fully behind Slavisa Jokanovic's no-nonsense stance in the ongoing stand off over Chris Martin's loan from Derby County.

The Scottish striker has refused to play for Fulham after being offered a new contract by Derby County last week and has made himself unavailable for Sunday's FA Cup third round tie at Cardiff City after pulling out of the two most recent league fixtures against Reading and Brighton and Hove Albion. Derby boss Steve McClaren has said he would welcome Martin back to the Rams, but Fulham would have to agree to end the Scottish international's season-long loan at Craven Cottage – something which Jokanovic has passionately insisted he will not do.

Jokanovic reiterated his own uncompromising position at today's press conference ahead of the Cardiff game, telling the assembled journalists:

You know my position. My position is the club's and he will stay with us. Yes (I've spoken to the owners and they agree with my stance on the issue). Generally this situation takes up so much energy and I have more important things to think about right now. I'm coaching 23 players. I don't have any intention to change my decision.

Martin claims to be injured, but Jokanovic says that the club's medical staff have been unable to find any injury that would rule him out of representing Fulham.

He is still injured – I am not a doctor. I am a football coach. My opinion is my opinion. I haven't gone to university to study it.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/01/fulham-board-back-jokanovic-in-martin-stand-off/