watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

10th of January

Started by The Swan, January 10, 2017, 12:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

So far it has been a very quite transfer window. I don't just mean Fulham as we have not done any deals.

Not much happening in the Premier League yet.

It will all start to happen in the last week in January.
The Swan

MJG

This is a tweet from a newcastle fan.....just shows we all think as fans that our clubs are crap at January Transfers

DavyBaty81 @david_baty
2h

@CaulkinTheTimes surely by this stage they've already decided if they want players on loan or permanent deals,  should been done ages ago

George Caulkin @CaulkinTheTimes
2h

@david_baty not really. It depends what selling/loaning clubs want and are doing, too, as well as based on league position etc.

Woolly Mammoth

Its the lull before the storm, I would like to think there is plenty of action behind closed doors, discussing and negotiating deals, and emails to and fro, everyone beavering away to bring targets to Fulham pronto, the clock is ticking, we must synchronise our watches and review, touch base, copy and check our findings at a later date this month, let's hope there is plenty to discuss, all incomings, over and out.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

MikeW

I hope your optimism is realised Woolly
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

nose

i was thinking much the same as the OP.
Not that fussed re other teams but had expected and hoped for movement from our ever underwhelming management in ensuring we had a few targets already lined up and on the way. Only need a couple of pieces to complete the jig saw, if we make the play offs we would be a match for anybody.  I do hope our leaders know what they are doing.

Southfield White

Most fans don't understand what goes into buying a player.
It's not as simple as saying we want that player, let's buy him,
Clubs don't always let players go until they have a replacement so that can also hold a transfers up.
Clubs also think, the nearer to deadline day, the cheaper they can get a player for.
Then you have agents involved, players  being able to go to speak to other clubs etc etc etc.

I'd imagine a lot of clubs would of had a list lined up before the window even opened.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: nose on January 10, 2017, 01:41:55 PM
Not that fussed re other teams but had expected and hoped for movement from our ever underwhelming management in ensuring we had a few targets already lined up and on the way. Only need a couple of pieces to complete the jig saw, if we make the play offs we would be a match for anybody.  I do hope our leaders know what they are doing.
Underwhelming management?
Personally this is the best team that play the best football I've seen for many years!

Keynsham

This happens every. Single. Window.

Old timer

Quote from: BestOfBrede on January 10, 2017, 05:48:02 PM
Quote from: nose on January 10, 2017, 01:41:55 PM
Underwhelming management?
Personally this is the best team that play the best football I've seen for many years!
Absolutely and even if we don't get any additions this time it won't be the end of the world.
Remember the points dropped mainly because of the late post pre season signings disrupting the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lighthouse

Well imagine somebody wants Smith from Fulham. Fulham are offered a price that they would accept. But they need a replacement and with Martin being injured with an unknown ailment only known to him. Fulham need at least two players coming in.

So Fulham say fine but only if we can bring in two players. Hence the delay. Hence the last minute panics and why teams have to go for loan deals even if they want to sign a player. Much as we did with Martin in the Summer.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

BestOfBrede

But we are better than Derby without an out and out striker!
So let them buy every Tom, dich n Harry has been striker!

f321ffc

Quote from: Statto on January 10, 2017, 06:38:12 PM
Every transfer window we have this debate about how complex football transfers are. I've no doubt it's a complicated process but to repeat a point I've made before, I doubt it's more complicated than, for example, buying a house. That's something we've all done and if you were in a business where you bought and sold 10-20 houses per year, you'd expect to get good enough at it to hurry a transaction along when needed.

This year we're in the especially desperate zone of a few clubs who (a) have a chance of making the play-offs (just) but (b) aren't quite good enough yet and are reliant on good business this window to achieve that. Surely our dearth of good strikers is particularly bad relative to, if not incomparable to, our peers' respective transfer needs.

I'm no fan of Nugent, but imagine the way this window had gone so far is (a) the Martin thing hadn't happened, (b) we'd put in a £9m bid for Johnny Russell and he was now unsettled and refusing to play for Derby as a consequence, and (c) we'd signed David Nugent. That's essentially how this window has gone so far for Derby fans. And even before the window they were already much better off than us for forwards.

So I do think, as usual, some complaint is justified.
Your analogy of buying a house doesn't work, as when buying a house useually the person selling is keen to sell, not so  the case in footballers.
I do feel that the leg work on transfers in should have been done prior to Jan first (maybe it has) but I will be most disappointed if we don't have a striker signed and ready to play on Saturday. 049:gif
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Arthur

Quote from: Statto on January 10, 2017, 06:38:12 PM
So I do think, as usual, some complaint is justified.

Some complaint may be justified.

But we simply don't know.

We know that transfers can be complicated, but we don't typically get to find out whether a particular transfer was complicated - and even then we rarely, if ever, get to find out more than an outline of the details of those that we are told were.

For this reason, those who want to hold up Derby's signing of Nugent (or any other statistic) as an indication that we must be somewhat inept can do so, safe in the knowledge that nobody on here can provide anything more than the barest of evidence to the contrary.

Likewise those who think that ineptitude on the part of the majority of football clubs is unlikely to be the most common reason why so many transfers happen late on know that the logic inherent in this presumption is capable of shrouding a multitude of sins that will never be exposed.

It's a case of picking whichever seems more plausible.