watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (27.08.10)

Started by White Noise, August 27, 2010, 06:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2010/08/27/manchester-city-set-for-ambitious-18m-fulham-raid/?
Manchester City Set for Ambitious £18m Fulham Raid

Former Eastlands boss ready to help Mancini trim his squad whilst simultaneously boosting his Craven Cottage contingent.

Fulham have revived their interest in Manchester City striker Roque Santa Cruz and his teammate, goalkeeper Shay Given.

Paraguay striker Santa Cruz held talks with Italian club Lazio this week and was considering a move to Rome but his former manager Mark Hughes has stepped in and hopes to conclude a loan with a view to a permanent deal for the 28-year-old.

The Fulham boss is also keen to land keeper Given, who was left out of City's line-up once again last night — and that could finally trigger Mark Schwarzer's departure from Craven Cottage. (Daily Mail)

This would be quite a coup and would show the kind of intentions Fulham have in their post-Hodgson era. Mark Hughes is of course well aware of Shay Given's abilities having been the City boss who brought the Irishman to Eastlands in the first place.

Roberto Mancini is trying hard to avoid to selling any quality player to a team he considers a rival for a top four spot, hence the inability of Arsenal to snap up the 34 year old keeper.

Roque Santa Cruz is desperate for a move that will bring him the first team football he may well feel he deserves and it appears that Mancini is so keen to sell the Paraguayan that he is willing to take a big cut on the £17.5m paid to Blackburn last summer.

The pair would greatly enhance the west London club's starting eleven and would help push them from solid top half side towards the top six. A move for Given would of course leave the door open for Mark Schwarzer to complete his long winded move to the Emirates.

WhiteJC

http://articles.squarefootball.net/squarefootball/2010/08/blackpool-v-fulham-tangerines-have-eyes-set-on-victory.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Squarefootball+%28Squarefootball%29
Blackpool v Fulham: Tangerines have eyes set on victory

Did Blackpool lose to Arsenal last weekend? I can't remember. And you what, you can bet your life that none of the Blackpool players can either as manager Ian Holloway looks to grab his second Premier League win of the season.

The Gunners took the 10-men Tangerines apart at the Emirates but Ollie will not allow them to dwell on that defeat. It was Arsenal at the Emirates. How many teams leave north London with their tails in between their legs? Blackpool aren't the first and they won't be the last to get a hiding at the Emirates so the gaffer will be keen to put that result to bed and move on from it.

This weekend they bring Premier League football to Blackpool for the first time and Bloomfield Road will be full to the rafters to welcome Mark Hughes's Europa League finalists Fulham.

The Cottagers have made a decent start to the season but they are still searching for their first league win of the new campaign. Their away form is not the greatest, but the travelling fans will expect them to have too much skill and experience for the newly promoted side.

However, Fulham could well suffer the same fate as Wigan on the opening day as the Tangerines will be desperate to get their home campaign off to a winning start. Unfortunately for them, only a handful of pundits see them recording a second top flight win.

WhiteJC

http://www.adifferentleague.co.uk/p6_1_4207_club-focus-fulham-a-cup-is-a-cup-and-a-win-is-a-win.html?
Club Focus - Fulham - A cup is a cup and a win is a win

Despite the Carling Cup's reputation having been ripped to shreds by Premier League managers who see the competition as a pain rather than a prospect, the bottom line is the tournament represents a real chance for clubs that will never get close to the league or - ordinarily - a major European trophy to notch up some silverware. And Mark Hughes went a long way to confirming such ambitions with the XI he named on Thursday night against League Two side Port Vale.

As has been keenly pointed out by anyone who has had a chance to mention it, it was only Port Vale. That is true, but the uncertainty of cup competitions by their nature and the fact Vale put out the previously untouchable QPR in the preceding round, meant that Hughes' selection was both a declaration of intent and a very wise decision against former Fulham favourite Micky Adams' potentially dangerous side. Just three changes were made from the side that was so impressive against Manchester United, and all three - who each have very different points to prove - were outstanding in the 6-0 win.

Zoltan Gera was involved with everything that happened. With two goals and three assists his performance was a real statement of intent. He has been heavily linked with moves away from the club, and his so-far infrequent use by Hughes has suggested his playing time for Fulham might be limited this year. On Thursday, however, he was exceptional - as he usually is when he pulls on the shirt. Igniting immediately his link with Bobby Zamora that was seen so frequently last season, he was once again the perfect foil for the target man. Excellent in the air as usual – as proved by his opening goal – and intelligent on the ground, the Hungarian also showed strength and commitment throughout the game, tracking back throughout and never stopping running. It was vintage Gera, against weaker than usual opposition, yes, but he can only perform against what is put in front of him. And perform he did.

From one player who has made a name for himself at the club, to another who has yet to prove himself, Matthew Briggs filled in at left-back for Paul Konchesky. With the latter being linked with a reunion with Roy Hodgson at Liverpool, Hughes can be forgiven for weighing up his options in that spot. Briggs, 18, is young for regular Premier League selection, but has vast experience at youth level - including the European U-19 Championship and U-20 World Cup - and certainly showed he has the potential to make the grade. In truth, he was hardly tested in the defensive side of his game after a few early slip-ups, but showed plenty of promise in the other direction. He set up Gera's opener with a teasing cross, and his performance will only help him improve. If indeed Konchesky does end up leaving, Hughes will undoubtedly look to bring in a replacement, but Briggs will, on the evidence of his full debut, be willing and able to step in when required.

Moussa Dembele, too, made his full debut against Port Vale, although he had far less time to wait than the three years between Briggs' debut and his first start. And Dembele's job was to convince the Whites' new boss that he is worthy of starting every game. A different player than Gera, relying on pace and trickery more often than the Hungarian, he too was very impressive indeed. His goal was excellently taken, cutting inside and slotting in off the post, and early indications are good. Perhaps, at this time, lacking the strength that the Premier League demands, Dembele will certainly bring a different angle to Fulham's play. Even if at first he is mainly an option of the bench, Hughes' early willingness to get him involved shows that changing things, and having different players rather than like-for-like replacements is very much an aspect of the manager's style.

Another, if the midweek game proves anything, is that he takes any opportunity for success seriously indeed. Without European football this season, Fulham fans would be disappointed if their team does not make a run at one, or both, of the cups this term With tougher tests to come, the early decision to bed in a strong team in the tournament could pay dividends should Fulham make the closing stages.

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6340931,00.html?
Dembele eyes Zamora link-up
Fulham new boy hoping to forge successful partnership

New Fulham signing Moussa Dembele believes he can forge a lethal strike partnership with Bobby Zamora.

Demeble joined the Cottagers on a three-year deal from AZ Alkmaar last week and has already appeared against Manchester Unitedand Port Vale.
Having stepped off the substitutes' bench to make his debut in the Premier League clash with United, the Belgium international was given the opportunity to start alongside Zamora in midweek.

The new-look frontline fired immediately with Dembele scoring once and Zamora twice as Fulham swept aside Port Vale 6-0 to progress in the Carling Cup.
Dembele feels his understanding with Zamora can only improve as time goes on and thinks he can bring the best out of his team-mate.

"I enjoy playing with Bobby very much," he told the Daily Star.

"He talks a lot with me and we saw against Vale that we are starting to understand each other.

Power

"I like to play in a partnership, playing one-twos. We are showing good signs considering I've only been here for a week.

"Bobby's quality is scoring goals and I can help him score even more goals.

"I can also score myself but I won't concentrate on that.

"I just want to play my own game and by doing that I know I can help Bobby score more goals."

Dembele is convinced he will settle quickly into English football and make an impression with Fulham.

"I can bring a lot of creativity - I can do everything," he claimed.

"I have the power to change a match but we've got many players like that.

"But I don't want to put a lot of pressure on my shoulders. I know I can do it. I just want to give 100 per cent."

Birmingham
Dembele had attracted interest from Birmingham as well as Fulham and he admits there was not much to choose between the clubs, but his gut instinct told him to go to Craven Cottage.

"I was also very positive about joining Birmingham but there was something that made me think maybe I will enjoy it more at Fulham," he explained.

"But it wasn't like I rejected Birmingham - Fulham and Birmingham are both good clubs who are ambitious.

"It was just the little details that made me choose Fulham.

"My first impression of English football is good.

"I thought it was going to be kick the ball and run after it - but Fulham play good football and the game is faster here and I like it like that."

WhiteJC

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/42813/Seasiders_get_started_on_home_turf.aspx?
Seasiders get started on home turf

Blackpool welcome Fulham to their new-look Bloomfield Road home as their modest base will be graced by Premier League football for the first time on Saturday afternoon.

Essential upgrade works have been finalised at the stadium and their loyal fans will be hoping their heroes can make it a dream day on the coast.

Ian Holloway's side have enjoyed a roller-coaster start to life in the big time, despite the campaign being just two games old.

A stunning 4-0 victory at Wigan Athletic certainly raised a few eyebrows and they were indebted to Gary Taylor-Fletcher, who opened the scoring, a brace from Marlon Harewood and a fortunate effort from Alex Baptiste.

However, their wheels fell off at Arsenal last weekend as they were pummelled 6-0 and they will be hoping that blip was a one off.

The instrumental Charlie Adam will be hoping to impress once more while young Frenchman Elliot Grandin has made a decent start to life on the Fylde coast.

But with the likes of Bobby Zamora, Danny Murphy, Damien Duff and Clint Dempsey showing fine early season form for the Cottagers, it could be a tough ask for the hosts to grab another victory.

With new manager Mark Hughes at the helm, Fulham have opened up their campaign with two fine league draws.

They survived the long trip to Bolton Wanderers with a goalless draw and, on Sunday, Brede Hangeland's late header ensured the points were shared in a 2-2 draw with Manchester United.

Paul Scholes opened the scoring before Simon Davies levelled after the break.

Hangeland's own goal looked to have settled matters, but he made amends at the right end by forcing a header past Edwin van der Sar.

Meanwhile, in midweek they put six past League Two side Port Vale in the Carling Cup with new £5million striker Moussa Dembele on the scoresheet for the first time.

On the injury front, cruciate ligament victim Billy Clarke is not expected to feature this term while Paul Rachubka and Keith Southern (both knee) are both out.

Striker Jason Euell is nearing a return with his own knee problem, but the weekend clash may come too soon.

Fulham will be without Diomansy Kamara (ankle), Philippe Senderos (Achilles)and Andrew Johnson (knee) while want-away goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer is close to a comeback after sitting out with a back injury.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/August/HallicheJoinsTheRanks.aspx?
A Dream Come True

Earlier this week the Club confirmed the signing of Algerian international defender, Rafik Halliche, on a 3-year deal, which will see the player at Craven Cottage until the summer of 2013.

The 23-year-old Algerian international certainly attracted some attention from a whole host of clubs following his performances at the 2010 World Cup Finals, but the central defender only had eyes for Fulham once the Club's interest became apparent, as he revealed exclusively to fulhamfc.com this week.

"When I knew that Fulham were interested I had no hesitation in joining the Club," Rafik explained. "To play in the Premier League has always been my dream and even though there were other clubs interested in me, Fulham were the first to contact me and I wanted to remain true to my word and sign for the Club.

"I've been impressed with the performances and progress of the Club during the past two seasons. I followed the Team during last season's Europa League campaign and there is a wonderful squad here at Fulham - I'm sure that my game will develop training alongside some very talented players.

"I'm really happy to be here, the set up is fantastic and the facilities are great. I have come from other clubs that also have a good structure but I've been really impressed with what I've seen at Fulham.

"The manager has been great and I hope that I will be able to repay the faith that the Manager has shown in me. He is well known as a player and now as a manager. As a good player himself, he understands players and has the ability to communicate well with us and I hope that I can repay the faith he has shown in me by playing well for his team."

After taking advice on the Barclays Premier League from his international colleagues, Halliche is now enjoying his new surroundings in SW6 and looking forward to fulfilling his professional ambitions with Fulham over the seasons ahead.

"All of the players have been extremely welcoming and there is a genuine desire amongst the group to do as well as possible and to help each other as a Team to give the fans more to cheer about in the future. Everyone around the training ground is welcoming, approachable and always available to help me settle here. The technical staff and medical team are fantastic.

"Before joining Fulham I had an idea on how the Premier League might be but I did seek advice from some of my team-mates in the national side (Algeria) who have played here, such as Nadir Belhadj, Hassan Yebda and Adlene Guedioura who plays at Wolves. I asked them how things were here and the style of football played and they gave me some good advice and I want to thank them for taking the time to talk to me at length about it."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/August/HallicheJoinsTheRanks.aspx?#ixzz0xnyk2Ol4

WhiteJC

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/arsenal-eye-french-keeper-as-schwarzer-deal-falls-?
Arsenal eye French keeper as Schwarzer deal falls through
Arsenal will turn to Mickael Landreau if they cannot sign Fulham's Mark Schwarzer

Arsenal are lining up a move for Lille goalkeeper Mickael Landreau, as they fear they are losing the battle for Mark Schwarzer, according to the Daily Mail.

Arsene Wenger has admitted to wanting to bring in another keeper before the transfer window closes next week.

Schwarzer is understood to have asked for a transfer in the wake of interest from the Gunners but Fulham will want to keep hold of their first choice stopper.

Wenger has not given up hope of signing the Australia international, but has identified Landreau if he fails to land the 37-year-old.

Many in France were surprised Landreau did not get a call up for France's World Cup squad, after one of his best seasons, and Wenger is an admirer.

With his contacts in his homeland, Wenger was linked to Landreau last summer and it will cost around £6.5 million to bring him to North London.

Lille will not play Champions League football this season after they missed out on the last day of the Ligue 1 season, and Landreau might want a crack at the big time once again.

WhiteJC

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/debuts-for-duo-on-cards-1091584.html?
Debuts for duo on cards

Fulham boss Mark Hughes is considering giving new signings Moussa Dembele and Rafik Halliche their league debuts at Blackpool.

The pair featured in the win over Port Vale in midweek and are now set to play at least some part of the trip to Blackpool.

David Stockdale is set to continue in goal ahead of Mark Schwarzer after he saved a penalty last week against Manchester United.

Hughes is still without the injured Philippe Senderos, Andrew Johnson and Diomansy Kamara for the clash at Bloomfield Road.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/matchprere.asp?a=210995
Blackpool v Fulham Preview
Fulham, after drawing both their opening Premier League games so far, head off to the seaside and a fixture against newly promoted Blackpool. It promises to be a test of character for both sides, Fulham will be keen to secure their first win whilst Blackpool will want to exorcise the ghosts of their six goal mauling at the hands of Arsenal.

Vital Quotes:
Ian Holloway is a journalists` gift when it comes to quotes. Famous for his one-liners he`s taken Blackpool from obscurity to Premier League glory. Obviously, he`s realistic enough to accept that his squad is a little threadbare and it came as no surprise when he left out several of his regulars in the midweek defeat to MK Dons.

Unflustered though, Ian gave a great response when asked if he was being disrespectful in not showing u at all in the aforementioned game, remarking,

"I didn`t go and watch my team and it caused a stir - but am I bovvered? No!"

Meanwhile, Mark Hughes, faced with the possibility of losing Paul Konchesky, to Liverpool, simply accepts it as a fact of life, remarking,

"I have obviously re-signed players I have worked with before and it works."

All part of the game then!

Blackpool Team News:
Ian Holloway`s squad lacks the star-names of many in the Premier League with the club refusing to be drawn into the financial melt-down scenario that so many clubs get caught up in, the club refuses to break its wage structure and in a way they are to be admired. But what effect it will have on their potential survival in top flight football remains to be seen.

For the fixture Holloway is able to call again on the services of his defender, Ian Evatt, who has served a one game ban for a red card received at Arsenal.

But approaching the game Holloway does have injury problems with Keith Southern, Loius Almond and Billy Clarke not available with Paul Rachubka and Jason Euell rated as doubtful.

Player to watch: Charlie Adam
Signed from Glasgow Rangers, Adam showed how astute a manager Ian Holloway can be by proving to be their star man in their promotion season. It`ll be interesting to see what headway he can make against our experienced midfield.

Fulham Team News:
Mark Hughes takes his squad to the north-west and it`ll be interesting to see if Mark Schwarzer and Paul Konchesky feature, both of whom are rumoured to be on the verge of deals that will take them away from Craven Cottage.

Having demolished Port Vale 6-0 in midweek, there is a possibility that Mark Hughes might give Moussa Dembele his first Premier League start after the Belgium international kick-started his goals column with a goal in the aforementioned demolition.

It`ll also be interesting to see if two-goal Zoltan Gera is restored to the starting eleven after missing out in the 2-2 draw with Manchester United last Sunday.

Definitely out though are Andrew Johnson, Philippe Senderos and Diomansy Kamara.

Sticking our necks out we`ll go for a starting eleven of:-

Stockdale, Pantsil, Hughes, Hangeland, Kelly, Etuhu, Murphy, Duff, Davies, Zamora and Dembele.

Player to watch: Bobby Zamora
Two goals, against Port Vale, following on from giving John O`Shea and Jonny Evans a torrid time last Sunday, signal that Bobby is bang in form. Hopefully he can carry that form northwards and play his part in seeing off Ian Holloway`s Blackpool.
Match Facts & Stats
Its twelve years since the clubs last clashed at Bloomfield Road with Fulham emerging victors on that occasion by 3-2.

Our record at Bloomfield Road, for our last six League visits, remains very respectable with four wins to our name, one draw and a solitary defeat.

Ref Watch:
Michael Oliver, the youngest referee on the Premier League list, will be the man with the whistle this Saturday.

Match Prediction:
Our away form is so poor, when it comes to actually winning games, that it wouldn`t surprise me if the best we could muster was a draw. But, and no disrespect to Blackpool, this is the sort of fixture we should be looking to win. Blackpool surprised everyone with a 4-0 demolition of Wigan on the opening day but were thumped 6-0 by Arsenal next time out. Bloomfield Road will be a noisy place as the locals celebrate a return to top-flight action for along time but I`m taking Mark Hughes to motivate his side and return south with all three points, courtesy of a narrow win, 2-1 to Fulham I`ll predict.

Next Fixtures:
After visiting Blackpool, Fulham face Wolverhampton Wanderers, at Craven Cottage, next weekend.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/matchprere.asp?a=210995#ixzz0xoEGyENx

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=210994
Fulham - Directions to Blackpool!
This Saturday our side makes the long journey to the north-west to take on Blackpool, for those thinking of making the journey and taking in the sights the town has to offer, here are a few travelling tips.

If you are journeying by road - leave the M62 at Junction 32 and follow the M55 onto the outskirts of Blackpool. At the roundabout take the third turning on to the A583. Continue on this road as it merges into the A5073, down Waterloo Road. Heading towards Blackpool South station, look for a turning right on to the A5099 and the ground is situated down this road.

If you`re prepared to let the train take the strain, Blackpool South is the nearest station to the ground and is around a ten minute walk. Most trains, however, call at Blackpool North, but this is two miles away from Bloomfield Road.

And don`t forget the obligatory kiss-me-quick hat!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=210994#ixzz0xoEmut9U

White Noise

Trotta Contract Extension

Friday 27th August 2010

Fulham FC News

Fulham Football Club can confirm that Marcello Trotta has signed a contract extension with the Club. Trotta will remain at the Cottage until June 2013.

Since joining Fulham's Academy, Trotta's progress has caught the eye in recent seasons and the Italian will now be looking to impress with Fulham's Development Squad this season under the guidance of Billy McKinlay.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/August/TrottaExtension.aspx#ixzz0xp1iNE8v