Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (26.08.10)

Started by White Noise, August 26, 2010, 01:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Briggs Takes His Chance

Wednesday 25th August 2010

Fulham FC News

Mark Hughes named a very strong team for Wednesday evening's Carling Cup Second Round match against Port Vale, making just three changes from the side which had drawn against Manchester United in the Premier League days earlier. But one intriguing name on the team sheet was that of Matthew Briggs, the 19-year-old Academy graduate selected to make his full Fulham debut.

Briggs had last turned out for the Whites First Team back in May 2007 as a substitute in the last game of the season against Middlesbrough. In the event, he became the youngest player to ever appear in the Premier League, but it's been a long wait since then for the England U19 international, so he was determined to seize his opportunity with both hands when it came.

"Since then I've been training hard to keep my development going," he explained. "This season the new Manager has come in, and he's been taking a look at the players available to him, and I grabbed my chance as soon as it came.

"I found out I was in the squad yesterday after training, but I didn't know I would be starting until before the game today. I wasn't really nervous – I've been waiting a long time for this moment, so I was just determined to make the most of it."

And Briggs did just that. Named in an otherwise experienced line-up, his team-mates gave him plenty of early touches, and before long he was supplying the searching cross which found Zoltan Gera who headed Fulham in front.

The teenager was also instrumental in starting the move which led to Fulham's third on a night of many positives for him to reflect upon.

"Getting involved so early on gave me a lot of confidence, especially getting the assist for our early goal – that really gave settled me down," he detailed.

"It was good to be named in a strong team too – with experienced players around me. They helped me settle, and it was a good experience being involved with players like them. Hopefully it will happen a lot more this season."

His inclusion also proved that Mark Hughes is willing to take a chance on the youth players emerging from the burgeoning Fulham Academy, and Matthew is sure that it will offer encouragement to others like him waiting for their big chance.

"Me getting a chance today was obviously really nice for me, but it will also give some of the other lads incentive to see what they can do if they train hard and impress the Manager," he considered. "He's looking at us younger players now, and that's encouraging for everyone."

And having played his part in a very convincing victory to see the Whites into the Third Round of the Carling Cup, Briggs hopes Wednesday's result may prove to be the first step in a long and ultimately successful cup run.

"All the lads were professional today," he said. "We played how we had to play – stuck to our passing game and our Premier League class showed against a team from a lower division.

"We've got a great chance in this cup, so we'll look forward to the draw for the next round and, who knows? Hopefully we'll go all the way."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/August/BriggsPortValeReaction.aspx#ixzz0xfKEwT91

White Noise

Fulham 6 - 0 Port Vale

Mark Hughes named just three changes to the side that drew with Manchester United at the weekend – full debutant Matthew Briggs filled in at left-back whilst Moussa Dembele also made his first full start for the Whites and Zoltan Gera took up his position on the right flank.

Craven Cottage reserved a fine welcome for two names from the past in the shape of Geoff Horsfield and Micky Adams.

The visitors lined-up with a flexible 5-3-2 formation, looking to utilise the forward runs of Adam Yates and Louis Dodds at fullback. But despite their early attacking intentions – they were simply unable to contain a rampant performance from the Whites.

Zoltan Gera's fierce effort from 30 yards following a neat piece of build-up play from Etuhu and Zamora had Stuart Tomlinson beaten – unfortunately his effort flew just wide of the top corner too.

It proved to be a sign of things to come as Gera opened the scoring for the Whites courtesy of a brave header from a Matthew Briggs cross on ten minutes. Briggs showed all of his pace to race on to a Damien Duff pass before producing a fine cross for Gera. The Hungarian headed firmly past Tomlinson but took a boot in the face for his trouble.

The goal looked to have drained the visitors of their early energy as the Whites proceeded to dominate for extended spells. The visitors occasionally managed to gain a foothold in the game and applied some decent pressure to Fulham's back line however, more often than not, Fulham were using the slippery surface to their advantage and sliding the ball around with ease.

Moussa Dembele doubled Fulham's lead and opened his account with a well-placed finish on 26 minutes. The attacker received the ball with is back to goal and proceeded to work the ball infield before drilling a low shot inside Tomlinson's right hand post.

Bobby Zamora made it three soon after when he linked up well with Zoltan Gera to fire the ball in from a near impossible angle. Zamora set the move in motion, stepping over a pass and allowing Gera to play a cute pass into the striker's path.

Zamora returned the favour just before the interval when he rolled the ball into Gera's feet, allowing the Hungarian international to spin and fire a shot into the top corner.

Dembele's involvement ended at half-time as he was replaced by Clint Dempsey. The American was straight into the thick of the action, stinging Tomlinson's palms with a strong shot from the edge of the area.

Matthew Briggs' evening ended on 55 minutes when the young defender was replaced by Stephen Kelly. Briggs went off to a round of applause following a confident showing. Fulham's final change of the night followed, with Jonathan Greening replacing Etuhu.

The pace dropped somewhat in the second-half but Fulham remained comfortably on top. Clint Dempsey forced a smart save from Tomlinson after he was played in by Zamora and Duff saw his effort fly just wide of the post as Fulham threatened to make it five.

Dempsey cheekily attempted to produce a near replica of his dramatic chipped goal against Juventus on 64 minutes – but Tomlinson was able to gather with relative ease.

Zamora grabbed his second of the night on 66 minutes when he placed a left footed free kick beyond Tomlinson.

Then Clint Dempsey made it six for Fulham after he exchanged passes with Gera on the edge of the Port Vale penalty area before hammering an unstoppable effort into the net.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/MatchAndTeam/MatchCentre/Matches/1011/CarlingCup/PortValeHome.aspx#ixzz0xfKbxZlR

White Noise

Hughes Happy with Cup Victory

Wednesday 25th August 2010

Fulham FC News

Speaking after Wednesday evening's emphatic Carling Cup victory over Port Vale at the Cottage, Fulham Manager Mark Hughes spoke of his satisfaction at the outcome.

"It is important after games like this to make the headlines for the right reasons and we have done that because we approached it in the correct manner," said Hughes.

"We showed the competition the respect it deserves and I was really pleased with what we produced.

"There were some outstanding goals and some great finishes. There some really good progressive play and that augurs well for the future.

"I didn't want to make too many changes. It is early in the season and not the time of year to be resting players."

Hughes opted to start with Academy graduate Matthew Briggs at left-back and the defender certainly didn't let his Manager down – putting in an accomplished display.

"I felt it was an opportunity to have a look at him [Briggs]. I am trying to see what we have got in terms of quality," Hughes explained.

"He is a young man I haven't seen a great deal of. I have been impressed in training and he acquitted himself really well. He was instrumental in the first goal with a great cross and he did himself no harm tonight."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/August/HughesPortValeReaction.aspx#ixzz0xfLaGbrr

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/25/fulham-port-vale-match-report

Bobby Zamora leads Fulham's rout of Port Vale   

Tweet this (4)

Dominic Fifield at Craven Cottage guardian.co.uk,

Wednesday 25 August 2010 22.21 BST

Fulham smoothed their passage into the third round of the Carling Cup while appearing also to pave the way for Paul Konchesky to be reunited with Roy Hodgson at Liverpool. That sale should soon be sanctioned after the Londoners agreed a fee of about £2m with PSV Eindhoven for the Mexico full-back Carlos Salcido as a replacement.

The 30-year-old was impressive at the World Cup finals and Mark Hughes will hope to complete his transfer ahead of the weekend trip to Blackpool. Konchesky, who has 12 months to run on his contract and has expressed a desire to leave, is now likely to rejoin the former Fulham manager on Merseyside even if Hughes, publicly at least, remained coy on that subject.

"It's not a foregone conclusion that Konchesky goes just because we're looking to bring someone else in," Hughes said after confirming that the club's chief executive Alistair Mackintosh was in talks with PSV over Salcido. "We're looking for quality in all positions, and we're a little light at left-back. But I hope something will happen with Salcido."

With Konchesky, the twice-capped England defender, not involved here, the youngster Matthew Briggs excelled in his place. The hopes of the Port Vale manager Micky Adams to make his own impression on his return to Craven Cottage were drowned in a deluge and a flood of Fulham goals.

The tie had been settled by the interval, Zoltan Gera bursting away from Louis Dodds early on to head Briggs' looped cross through static defenders and into the far corner. The Hungarian added a second in first-half stoppage time, by which time Vale had long since been swept away.

Moussa Dembélé, on his first start since a £5m move from AZ Alkmaar, had skimmed in a second with Bobby Zamora, excellent again, battering a wonderful third from a ridiculously tight angle with Stuart Tomlinson utterly helpless in the visitors' goal. Adams once bought the England striker for Brighton but watched him run riot here. Zamora's second, curled beyond a defensive wall, was quickly followed by further reward for Clint Dempsey. "As soon as we saw the teamsheet we knew we were in trouble," said Adams. "The place is unrecognisable from when I managed here. There are even tiles in the bathroom now. And hot water." That was scant consolation for this thrashing.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6337978,00.html

Adams - Cottagers too good

Vale boss feared worst; Hughes impressed with Briggs debut

Last updated: 25th August 2010   

Micky Adams admitted Port Vale were facing an uphill battle from the outset of their Carling Cup battering by Fulham.

Adams, a former Fulham boss, was given a rousing reception from the Craven Cottage fans but the generosity ended there as the Premier League side smashed their inferior opponents 6-0 to reach the third round.

Cottagers boss Mark Hughes only made three changes from Sunday's 2-2 draw against Manchester United, with Matthew Briggs and £5million summer signing Moussa Dembele both making their first starts for the club.

Zoltan Gera also came into the side and all three had a significant impact as Fulham outclassed the League Two side.

Hungarian Gera and Bobby Zamora scored twice each and there were goals for Dembele and his replacement Clint Dempsey.

Adams knew his side would be up against it the moment he saw confirmation of the Fulham team.

Trouble
"As soon as we saw the team sheet we knew we would be in trouble," said Adams.

"A lot of the Premier League clubs last night made wholesale changes. Fulham for their own reasons picked their first team and it was always going to difficult.

"But we are disappointed. I think we are better than we showed tonight but we couldn't get near Fulham. They had pace and movement and it was too much for us.

"They are real athletes which is why they play at this level. We will lick our wounds and get on with it.

"I came back here with Brentford and Leicester. I think this is my first defeat since coming back.

"The place is unrecognisable from the one I first managed. There are even tiles in the bathroom and hot water."

Instrumental
Hughes, who also revealed his interest in signing PSV Eindhoven defender Carlos Salcido, was impressed with left-back debutant Briggs.

"I felt it was an opportunity to have a look at him (Briggs)," said Hughes. "I am trying to see what we have got in terms of quality.

"He is a young man I haven't seen a great deal of. I have been impressed in training and he acquitted himself really well.

"He was instrumental in the first goal with a great cross and he did himself no harm tonight."

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_report/0,19764,11065_3312284,00.html

Cottagers crush Port Vale

Gera and Zamora both score twice

Last updated: 25th August 2010

Mark Hughes savoured his first win as Fulham manager after watching his team hammer Port Vale 6-0 in the second round of the Carling Cup.

Fresh from back-to-back draws in the Premier League, Hughes' side were in devastating mood to ensure it was a miserable return to Craven Cottage for former Fulham boss Micky Adams.

Zoltan Gera marked his return to the starting line-up with the opening goal on 10 minutes before new signing Moussa Dembele grabbed his first goal in Cottagers colours.

Bobby Zamora weighed in with the third on 36 minutes and Hungarian midfielder Gera added another in first-half stoppage-time.

New England cap Zamora scored his second of the night on 66 minutes and it was left to substitute Clint Dempsey to round off the scoring 20 minutes from time.

While many top-flight sides name weakened teams at this early stage of the competition, Hughes made just three changes from Sunday's 2-2 draw with Manchester United.

Eye-catching debut
Dembele came into the side along with Gera and left-back Matthew Briggs, who enjoyed an eye-catching full debut before being substituted to a standing ovation after an hour.

Briggs had clearly been given a licence to attack and it was his tenacity which created the opening goal for Gera after 10 minutes.

The 19-year-old tore down the left wing before floating a deep cross into the box, where Gera stole in front of the defender to head Fulham into the lead.

Gera took a boot to the face for his troubles but the goal settled Fulham, who had made an uncertain start at the back.

Fulham goalkeeper David Stockdale, who saved Nani's penalty at the weekend, was beaten to Sean Rigg's cross but Adam Yates' header deflected out for a corner.

Gary Roberts picked out Port Vale striker Justin Richards with a lofted pass into the box but Fulham eventually scrambled the ball clear - and almost immediately took a 2-0 lead.

Dembele worked space for himself on the edge of the Port Vale box before unleashing a fierce strike, which goalkeeper Stuart Tomlinson did well to block.

But that was just a range-finder from the Belgian. Dembele then cut in from the right flank and unleashed a low left-footed drive which beat Tomlinson and went in off the far post.

Fulham were cruising now. Briggs was a constant thorn in Port Vale's side and he almost picked out Dembele with a driven cross to the far post.

Damian Duff turned the ball back into the box for Zamora who volleyed goalwards from six yards but straight at Tomlinson.

It was not long, though, until the England striker got his goal as Fulham passed their way slickly through the visitors' defence.

Zamora let Briggs' pass run for Gera and then darted into the box to take the return ball and rifle his shot from an acute angle into the roof of the net.

Intensity
Vale could not live with the pace or the intensity of Fulham's constant raids and they stood off Gera, allowing the Hungarian to turn in the box and beat Tomlinson with a rising shot.

Fulham sent on Dempsey for Dembele at half-time and Port Vale's defence barely had any respite. Zamora escaped down the right and then squared the ball for Dempsey, whose powerful drive was well stopped by Tomlinson.

Visiting captain Marc Richards was guilty of an air shot as the ball fell to him in the box. Port Vale substitute Abdulai Bell-Baggie then linked neatly with Justin Richards but neither could get a shot away.

Fulham kept pouring forward. Dempsey forced a near-post save from Tomlinson before attempting a repeat of his wonder strike against Juventus but the goalkeeper was alert to the chip.

Duff flashed a shot across goal that went just wide but Zamora's radar was more finely tuned.

After being bundled to the ground 22 yards out, Zamora picked himself off the sodden turf to curl the free-kick round the wall and past Tomlinson's despairing dive.

Dempsey then rammed home Fulham's sixth from the same distance after being teed up by Gera, a strike greeted by chants of "easy, easy" from the home end.

Vale's travelling supporters responded with "we only want one goal" but their side were denied by Stockdale, who blocked Richards' shot at point-blank range.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/football/user_ratings/0,19768,11065_3312284,00.html

Fulham Player ratings 

Player Our Rating Your Rating Rate player

David Stockdale  0 6.1  Rate 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Brede Hangeland  0 7.0  Rate 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Aaron Hughes  0 5.7  Rate 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Matthew Briggs  0 6.1  Rate 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
John Pantsil  0 5.6  Rate 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Danny Murphy  0 5.7  Rate 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Dickson Etuhu  0 5.4  Rate 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Moussa Dembele  0 6.9  Rate 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Bobby Zamora  0 7.9  Rate 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Damien Duff  0 5.4  Rate 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Zoltan Gera  0 8.8  Rate 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Stephen Kelly
(Sub)  0 5.1  Rate 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Jonathan Greening
(Sub)  0 5.3  Rate 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Clint Dempsey
(Sub)  0 6.2  Rate 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

White Noise

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/150864/Fulham-cruise-through-Port-Vale-but-want-Salcido-soon/

FULHAM CRUISE THROUGH PORT VALE BUT WANT SALCIDO SOON

26th August 2010

By Sami Mokbel

Fulham 6 -- Port Vale 0

FULHAM want to clinch a £2m deal for PSV ­Eindhoven left-back ­Carlos Salcido as Paul Konchesky edges closer to joining Liverpool.

Mark Hughes' men cruised into the Carling Cup third round at a soggy Craven Cottage.

But the absence of Konchesky was the main talking point after Kop boss Roy Hodgson admitted he is keen on signing the defender.

Hughes said: "We've made enquiries about Salcido but I don't know how far down the line we are.

"But that does not ­necessarily mean Paul is going to Liverpool."

Zoltan Gera and Bobby Zamora both scored twice last night, with Moussa Dembele and Clint Dempsey also on target.

Port Vale manager Micky Adams – who managed Fulham to ­promotion from the Third Division in 1997 – said: "As soon as we saw the team sheet, I knew we were in ­trouble."

White Noise

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2010/08/carling_cup_2nd_rd_fulham_6_po.php

Carling Cup 2nd Rd: Fulham 6 Port Vale 0

Posted by Phil Mison 1 hour, 51 minutes ago

Six pack Fulham tear Port Vale apart as the rain pours down at the Cottage. Warm appreciation for the returning Mickey Adams from the H block 'choir' and all credit to his side, who tried to play the game in the right manner. But Fulham on the night - unstoppable!

Maybe it was the sight of Adams in the dug out, but it felt like a throwback of ten years for Wednesday night's Carling Cup romp. Easy parking a short walk from the ground, a quick trot up to the turnstiles to pay at the gate, and once inside the Hammy End the freedom to sit where you like. For the record I was 10 rows back (just under the roof as the rain hammered down without mercy) and right behind the goal. There were three other fans in my row from a crowd under 10,000 and not one single body in my sightline between my seat and the four fabulous 1st half goals that rippled the net 10 metres in front of me.

It was fantastic! Gera's brave header from young Matthew Briggs excellent cross. The 19-year-old making his first start in place of Paul Konchesky (so we all know where he's heading). Moussa Dembele fizzing one into the bottom corner with an 18 yard cross shot. Bobby Z hammering into the roof of the net from the tightest of angles, and Gera again finding space to spin and ping a shot home off the crossbar on the stroke of half time.

Yes, Mark had made the decision to start Zoltan ahead of Demps. But on came the Yank for Dembele in the 2nd half. Not only did he notch the 6th with a fierce drive, he ran, hustled and posed a constant threat like a man desperate to make a point. Bobby stroked home an impeccable 2nd on the night with his left foot from a free-kick, and white shirts were only guilty of getting in each others way in the box as Vale could easily have shipped 10. Murphy, Duff and Gera all blazing wide from great positions.

I have yet to check the match stats, but it felt like 25 on target efforts against one real save required from the untroubled Stockdale.

Even this early into his reign, it's easy to see that Hughes - who hinted as much in his post-match interview - has added an edge to Fulham's fluent passing game. Yes, it was only Port Vale, but six goals of quality, no gifts, and all from offensive players.

More than a year since our last away win in the Prem? Blackpool here we come!

White Noise

Liverpool and Barca to compromise at £20m for Mascherano

Published 23:00 25/08/10

By David Anderson

Liverpool and Barcelona are moving towards a £20m compromise fee for Mascherano, although Hodgson claims he will pick him against West Brom if he is still on Merseyside.

"He isn't here because the negotiations are on-going between the two clubs," said Hodgson. "If he played here it might prejudice the transfer and I don't wish to do anything like that.

"But going into the game on Sunday, I'm entitled to have the player available for selection if he is still a ­Liverpool player."

Hodgson also confirmed Liverpool are in talks with his old club Fulham over a £3m deal for left-back Paul Konchesky.

"We have had discussion with Fulham, but it's by no means certain they are prepared to sell," he said. "But I'd be lying if I said we haven't considered Paul."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-transfer-news-Reds-and-Barcelona-to-compromise-at-20m-for-Javier-Mascherano-while-Liverpool-i-talks-to-sign-Fulham-s-Paul-Konchesky-article564043.html#ixzz0xfXQXtfI

White Noise

Hughes eager to tie up Salcido deal

Published 23:21 25/08/10

By Pa Sports

Fulham manager Mark Hughes is hoping to complete the signing of Mexico left-back Carlos Salcido before the transfer window closes.

Reports stated that Fulham have agreed a fee with PSV Eindhoven for the 30-year-old, who played at this summer's World Cup.

"We have made enquiries," said Hughes. "He is a player I am interested in and we are hopeful it might be concluded."

Hughes insisted their pursuit of Salcido does not automatically mean that Fulham's current left-back Paul Konchesky will be on the move.

Konchesky has been linked with a move to Liverpool, where he would link up again with former Fulham manager Roy Hodgson.

"We are looking to have quality in all positions. Left back is a position we are a little light in," said Hughes.

"It is not a foregone conclusion that Paul Konchesky goes because we are looking to bring someone else in."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Hughes-eager-to-tie-up-Salcido-deal-article564241.html#ixzz0xfY2EySM

White Noise

Blackpool goal hero Harewood doubtful for historic first Premier League home game

Published 23:00 25/08/10

By James Nursey

Blackpool hero Marlon Harewood is a doubt for their historic first Premier League home match against Fulham on Saturday.

Striker Harewood, 31, signed on a free after leaving Aston Villa, netted twice in the shock win at Wigan on the opening day.

He kept his place for the trip to Arsenal where the 10-man Seasiders lost 6-0.

But Harewood was missing from the defeat to MK Dons in midweek in the Carling Cup after tweaking his hamstring.

Harewood is having treatment on the injury but may now also miss the club's first Premier League home game.

The forward is definitely expected to return fully fit against Newcastle on Saturday September 11 after the international break.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Blackpool-goal-hero-Marlon-Harewood-doubtful-for-historic-first-Premier-League-home-game-against-Fulham-article563787.html#ixzz0xfYFVaoy

White Noise

Fulham 6-0 Port Vale: Daily Mirror match report

Published 23:05 25/08/10

By Massimo Marioni

Mark Hughes confirmed Fulham are closing in on a deal to bring in Carlos Salcido from PSV.

The Mexican left-back is believed be a direct replacement for Liverpool-bound Paul Konchesky, who was left out of a strong Fulham squad for their Carling Cup rout of Port Vale, along with Arsenal target Mark Schwarzer.

"We've made enquires (about Salcido) and I'm not sure how far down the line we are, but hopefully that's something that can be concluded. It's not a forgone conclusion that Konchesky is leaving because we want quality all over the park," said Hughes.

Any absentee's in the Fulham line-up though were quickly forgotten as the Premier League side ruthlessly exposed the gulf in class between themselves and the League Two outfit.

On a torrential night Bobby Zamora was almost unplayable, and new £5million signing Moussa Dembele looked a real coup for Hughes as he capped an impressive full debut with a goal.

"Its important on nights like this to make the headlines for the right reasons and we've done that because we've approached it in the right manner and shown the competition the respect it deserves.

"They tried to play the right way but on the night we just had a bit too much quality for them," continued Hughes.

It was certainly no happy return to west London for Micky Adams' men who dismantled QPR in the last round, but more like a return to Alcatraz, as they were imprisoned in their own half for the majority of the match.

Vale were given a mountain to climb even before the first whistle when Hughes laid down a marker for the competition by making only three changes to the side that drew with Manchester United at the weekend.

In came Dembele, 19-year-old left-back Matthew Briggs, and Zoltan Gera, but if Vale were hoping these players who be the chink in Fulham's armour they were sadly mistaken.

Gera took just ten minutes to open the scoring when he bravely connected with a diving header from Briggs's cross after he chased down and delivered a seemingly lost cause.

Dembele then doubled the lead on 25 minutes when his stinging drive from 20-yards found the inside of Stuart Tomlinson's far post, and Zamora got his just rewards for a fine display eleven minutes later.

His clever dummy ran through to Gera who played through the England international to rasp into the top corner from nearly an impossible angle.

Zamora then returned the favour deep into first-half stoppage time, feeding in Gera who spun and curled a delighted shot in off the bar.

Zamora got his second on 66 minutes when he effortlessly stroked in a free-kick, and Clint Dempsey rounded off the scoring twenty minutes from time with a pile driver on the edge of the box.

Fulham fans sang "England's number one" to their redundant goalkeeper David Stockdale, probably in a bid to keep him awake more than anything else, but it was former Whites manager Micky Adams and his Vale players that could probably do with the sleep after this nightmare at the Cottage.

"As soon as we saw the teamsheet we knew we were in trouble," bemoaned Adams.

"I think we're better than what we've shown tonight individually and collectively, but we couldn't get near Fulham.

"Their pace their movement - they're real athletes and that's why they're at this level, so we'll lick our wounds and get on with it.

"The pace is unrecognizable since I was here. There's even tiles in the bathroom its great.

"I remember Uri Geller came here when we were struggling, and we only had one spoon but he bent it and broke it in half - we were gutted."

He definately could have done with that kind of magic last night.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-6-0-Port-Vale-Cottagers-hit-Port-Vale-for-six-and-close-in-on-Carlos-Salcido-transfer-from-PSV-Daily-Mirror-match-report-article564231.html#ixzz0xfYRtEEo

White Noise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_cup/8939681.stm

Fulham   6 - 0   Port Vale

Fulham were rampant against Vale at a sodden Craven Cotage

Zoltan Gera and Bobby Zamora both scored twice as Fulham eased into the third round of the Carling Cup at the expense of League Two Port Vale.

Gera headed Fulham ahead before new signing Moussa Dembele marked his debut with a goal after a left-foot strike.

Zamora finished from an acute angle before Gera added a fourth before the break, with a strike from 18 yards.

The fifth came from a curling Zamora free-kick, while Clint Dempsey finished the scoring with a long-range strike.

Vale almost pulled a goal back in the latter stages, but Marc Richards's close-range strike was saved by Stuart Tomlinson.

And earlier in the tie Gary Roberts had picked out striker Justin Richards with a lofted pass into the box, but Fulham managed to clear the danger.

Nonetheless, Fulham, with three changes from the side that drew with Manchester United, might have scored more than six.

Dembele went close prior to scoring with a low strike from the edge of the box that Tomlinson did well to save.

Matthew Briggs impressed at left-back on his full debut - providing the cross from which Gera headed his opening goal and, later, almost picking out Dembele at the far post.

Zamora had a volley from six yards smothered by Tomlinson, who also made two good saves from Dempsey as the Premier League side repeatedly cut open their opponents.

White Noise

http://thegamesgonecrazy.blogspot.com/2010/08/go-for-gera.html

Go for Gera!

Apparently Zoltan Gera is unhappy at Fulham; if so, we should seize the opportunity and buy him! Gera offers exactly what we are looking for, an attacking midfielder with an eye for goal.

Gera has netted 76 club goals so far and a further 18 at full international level. He isn't Frank Lampard, but he is as close as we are going to get given what we can afford. At 31, he is not young, but then Parker is no spring chicken either!

In Grant's shoes, I would offload Parker and bring in Gera, who scores more and is a much more creative midfielder than Mr Scurry Scurry Scotty Parker. Team Gera up with Noble and Der Hammer in centre mid, with Barrera and Piquionne as the wide men, and I think we would have an effective and potentially high scoring midfield unit.

How much would he cost? Can't be more than we sold Diamanti for surely?

Posted by Hammersfan at 16:03 

White Noise

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2010/08/a_fine_line.php

A Fine Line

Posted by Phil Mison 9 hours, 26 minutes ago

If you need to understand football's passion that makes it the global game, creating more drama in 24 hours than a lifetime of Ian Fleming, examine the ramifications from two Premiership games within 24 hours this week. Fulham's pulsating draw with United and Liverpool's surrender to City.

Fulham drew all the positives from Sunday's encounter at the Cottage. The team spirit was tremendous, and but for a major aberration on the part of the officials, the Whites could easily have been celebrating their 3rd straight home win in this fixture. Last season Ferguson made much of the injury-depleted squad he had to field in December's 3-0 defeat. Admittedly for this game Rooney was absent with a bug, but he was on a 13 game goaless streak coming into the weekend.

A trawl of fans forums and United blogs reveals a rain of abuse falling upon the likes of O' Shea, Evans, Berbatov, Park, Nani and Valencia. Even this early in the season I sense an over-reliance on veterans Scholes and Giggs to somehow pull things around. With the age of megabucks transfers (a la Tevez) seemingly behind them, what does the future hold for Man U?

Make no bones about it. They remain a major force and a global brand, but with the debt servicing level last week climbing to a new high (who else spotted the story?) I sense the Glazers empire is slowly sinking into the Old Trafford foundations. After Sunday, I know which side of the fence I'd rather be cheering from.

So to Monday and City's demolition of Liverpool. Here in the space of 24 hours we had three contenders for the tag of 'England's Big 4' in action. With glaring deficiences all over the pitch moneybags City tore Liverpool apart and Roy may soon be reminded of life's maxim, 'Be careful what you wish for.' As I write his new team are flying to Turkey without Torres (rested) and Gerrard (injured). While Roy rode the rainbow with Fulham all the way last season, here his Liverpool side could be exiting the Europa League at just the 2nd hurdle.

So is Mark Hughes sitting smugly behind his desk this week optimistically plotting to bury Blackpool at the weekend? (a side coming off a 6-0 thrashing). You bet he's not. Want to know why managers, players, club CEO's are all in the supertax bracket? Stand still in football and you're a dead man. Before next week's transfer window slams shut, Hughes knows every minute will see him sweating on finalising more deals while fighting with every sinew to hang on to his current roster of talent.

Hot money, double dealing, blatant lying, beautiful women, mysterious foreigners, ruthless agents, hostile crowds and a relentless, baying press pack on your heels...James Bond wouldn't have lasted five minutes. That's football - and that's why we're hooked...

White Noise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/f/fulham/8944854.stm

Fulham and PSV agree Carlos Salcido deal 

By John Sinnott 

Fulham have agreed a deal to sign Dutch club PSV Eindhoven's Mexico international left-back Carlos Salcido.

PSV told BBC Sport that the 30-year-old Salcido, who has also been linked with Liverpool, has still to agree personal terms in a move reportedly worth £1.6m.

Liverpool have been holding talks with Fulham over the possibility of signing their Fulham left-back Paul Konchesky.

Fulham boss Mark Hughes said: "It's not a foregone conclusion Paul goes because we're trying to bring someone else in."

PSV would not specify the length of the contract that Salcido had been offered by Fulham.

Earlier this week the London club confirmed the signing of 23-year-old Algerian defender Rafik Halliche from Benfica for an undisclosed fee.

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/7964287/Fulham-6-Port-Vale-0-match-report.html

Fulham 6 Port Vale 0: match report

Read a full match report of the Carling Cup game between Fulham and Port Vale at Craven Cotage on Wednesday Aug 25, 2010.

By Jeremy Wilson, Craven Cottage

Published: 10:01PM BST 25 Aug 2010

Sixy football: Clint Dempsey fires in Fulham's sixth goal at a sodden Craven Cottage Photo: ACTION IMAGES No competition has suffered more from the rise of the Premier League than the Carling Cup but, in Mark Hughes, it is refreshing to find at least one manager who still regards it as an opportunity rather than an irritation.

As a player, Hughes holds the distinction of winning it three times with three different clubs. As one of the most ambitious young British managers, his outlook has always been that it would be a valuable addition to his CV.

Fulham might only have dispatched League Two opposition in Port Vale, but it still felt like a statement of intent.

From the side that drew 2-2 with Manchester United on Sunday, there were only three changes and, in Matthew Briggs, Moussa Dembele and Zoltan Gera, Hughes had brought in a trio of players with a point to prove.

Briggs caught the eye, yet there was also something in the approach of the established players – men like Danny Murphy, Bobby Zamora, Brede Hangeland and Damien Duff – that showed they will treat the Carling Cup with the attitude they displayed in the Europa League last season.

Port Vale manager Micky Adams had reason to be thankful that the 6-0 scoreline was not more decisively in favour of Fulham on his return to Craven Cottage.

The goals were all of the highest quality. Gera had already seen one shot sail narrowly past Stuart Tomlinson's post before he bravely got his head in front of Louis Dodds to convert Briggs's cross.

Dembele, who was making his first start following a £5 million move from AZ Alkmaar, then brilliantly cut inside Lee Collins and Adam Yates before fizzing his shot across the wet floor and inside Tomlinson's post.

Murphy had been particularly influential in the centre of midfield and duly split Port Vale's defence for Zamora to finish emphatically from the most narrow of angles. Zamora was the provider for Gera, who turned and shot beyond Tomlinson on the stroke of half-time. The second-half came to resemble a training exercise but still there was no mercy from Fulham.

Zamora scored his second and Fulham's fifth with a powerful free-kick before the rout was completed by Clint Dempsey with yet another excellent finish.

White Noise

Fulham 6 Port Vale 0: Cottagers join Super Six club against League Two minnows

By Ian Gibb

Last updated at 12:20 AM on 26th August 2010

Micky Adams was given an ovation from all parts of Craven Cottage as a well-loved former Fulham manager - and then watched in horror as his team were torn apart.

Vale were swept away with two goals from Bobby Zamora, two from Zoltan Gera plus strikes from new £5million signing Moussa Dembele and Clint Dempsey.

Testing conditions: Fulham coped far better than their lowly opponents with the lashing rain in west London
Adams said: 'As soon as we saw the team sheet we knew we were in trouble. 'Lots of Premier League clubs make changes in the Carling Cup but Fulham picked their first team.

'We are better than that but we couldn't get near them. Their passing and movement were too much for us. 'They are real athletes and that's why they are where they are. We'll lick our wounds and get on with it.'

The rout began in the 10th minute when Fulham's 18-year-old left back Matthew Briggs, on his full debut, produced a deep centre from the left and Gera headed firmly down, the ball bouncing inside the left post.

Bow: Fulham's Moussa Dembele grabbed a goal on his debut
It was 2-0 on 25 minutes when Dembele tried a snap shot that bounced out of Vale keeper Stuart Tomlinson's hands.

Dembele had another go, this time finding the bottom left corner of the net. It was all over as a contest on 36 minutes when Briggs again started a move on the left for Gera to put in Zamora, who fired an angled shot into the far right corner of the net.Then just before the interval Hungary star Gera ripped a shot against the bar and into the net.

Zamora stroked a perfect free kick from just outside the area into the far left corner of the net for 5-0 on 66 minutes and three minutes later Dempsey exchanged passes with Gera before scoring with ease.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1306137/Fulham-6-Port-Vale-0-Cottagers-join-Super-Six-club-League-Two-minnows.html#ixzz0xfaa2ib6