Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: MJG on January 27, 2017, 09:02:23 AM
Quote from: westcliff white on January 27, 2017, 08:43:26 AM
Quote from: AlexW132 on January 26, 2017, 06:30:55 PM
Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on January 26, 2017, 06:29:02 PM
Quote from: westcliff white on January 26, 2017, 05:22:46 PM
Quote from: Tomo on January 26, 2017, 03:45:21 PM
Quote from: westcliff white on January 26, 2017, 02:33:55 PM
A pacey striker to play off of Martin? we dont play two up front so cant see that happening.

I agree we need 3 and I htink we will sign 3, but historically we seem to do a lot of bisiness ion the last week so I am still hopeful

I think this is where we have an issue honestly. We are only familiar with one set-up we need to be diverse and have the option off the bench or even play a different set-up completely against teams we know a pacey striker will be able to exploit.
I don't think they have to play off of Martin however I think we would favour Martin playing in the behind the pacey striker and holding up the ball and playing a killer pass.

Just a thought.
Quite possibly but that would entail SJ going away from him s preferred style, something I don't see happening.

Is playing one up front SJ's preferred style or just what he can do with the players available.

Wasn't he playing two up front at Watford?
Indeed, Ighalo and Deeney
He said himself (back in December i think) the team are playing his identity and the way he wants to play, so just basing my coments on that. Would seem strnage to change it now and get everyone to learn a new system.

I also believe he played 2 wide with Vydra up front when he took watford up from the championship, could be wrong but always looked a front 3 of sorts too me.
I'd agree with that. Was in some ways similar but maybe the three up top for watford i always felt were a bit more direct runners

This article says "strikers Troy Deeney and Odion Ighalo getting 41 between them". With Verda that seems like a three man forward line rather than one up front unless you see Aluko and Ayite as our Ighalo and Vydra.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/how-laid-back-slavisa-jokanovic-returned-watford-to-the-premier-league-10206611.html

Anyway ". . . the way he wants to play" seems more likely to mean aspects like high possession rate football with the ball on the ground rather and high pressing than strictly formation.

filham

Quote from: Steven Ageroad on January 26, 2017, 05:28:47 PM
Quote from: alfie on January 26, 2017, 05:01:51 PM
Every January it's the same, players and thier agents try not to commit incase somthing better comes along. I just don't worry about it,as the old saying goes, what will be will be.

Then all of a sudden, click, and we have the dominoe effect. The same every window and every league.

OK but we have been known to miss targets, I suspect Martin was never a prime target but rather a last minute panic signing.

Quote from: filham on January 27, 2017, 12:24:00 PM
Every January it's the same, players and thier agents try not to commit incase somthing better comes along. I just don't worry about it,as the old saying goes, what will be will be.

Then all of a sudden, click, and we have the dominoe effect. The same every window and every league.

OK but we have been known to miss targets, I suspect Martin was never a prime target but rather a last minute panic signing.

Everybody misses targets. Even the mighty Fulham cannot insist a club sells the player we want at the price we want to pay. And if the player does not want to sign for the wages offered or is dissuaded by his family, friends or his agent then the club are also scuppered.

nose

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on January 27, 2017, 01:27:10 PM

Everybody misses targets. Even the mighty Fulham cannot insist a club sells the player we want at the price we want to pay. And if the player does not want to sign for the wages offered or is dissuaded by his family, friends or his agent then the club are also scuppered.

mr khan is a successful multi billionaire, if he wanted it to happen it would happen.
he will know the prize of getting to the prem is worth a little short term payment over the odds.
i no longer believe he is that bothered.. i wouldn't mind quite so much except that is not what he intimates everytime season ticket renewals are forthcoming and second if he is happy with mid table mediocrity then he should say so and then I will re-sight my hopes lower.
however since mr khan has been here we have been a virtually non stop roller coaster disaster area and just out of self respect I would have imagined he would want to rectify the dreadful three seasons with a meaningful attempt  to go up.

Quote from: nose on January 27, 2017, 03:09:16 PM
Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on January 27, 2017, 01:27:10 PM

mr khan is a successful multi billionaire, if he wanted it to happen it would happen.
he will know the prize of getting to the prem is worth a little short term payment over the odds.
i no longer believe he is that bothered.. i wouldn't mind quite so much except that is not what he intimates everytime season ticket renewals are forthcoming and second if he is happy with mid table mediocrity then he should say so and then I will re-sight my hopes lower.
however since mr khan has been here we have been a virtually non stop roller coaster disaster area and just out of self respect I would have imagined he would want to rectify the dreadful three seasons with a meaningful attempt  to go up.

Oh, yes! I keep forgetting about his magic wand!

FulhamStu

I really don't think Khan is involved in 95% of the running of the club. He is purely a figurehead and yes owner, but I think he delegates, he may need to rubber stamp if cost go over a certain amount but to think he has any involvement in player recruitment is fanciful.  I doubt if he has any idea who most footballers are.  Probably knows about Messi and Rooney but never heard of most players.  Would love to ask Khan who he thought was Newcastles best player.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: FulhamStu on January 27, 2017, 04:00:19 PM
I really don't think Khan is involved in 95% of the running of the club. He is purely a figurehead and yes owner, but I think he delegates, he may need to rubber stamp if cost go over a certain amount but to think he has any involvement in player recruitment is fanciful.  I doubt if he has any idea who most footballers are.  Probably knows about Messi and Rooney but never heard of most players.  Would love to ask Khan who he thought was Newcastles best player.

Exactly.
Shouldn't think he even knows who Messi is.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 27, 2017, 04:06:00 PM

Exactly.

I don't think he knows who Fulham FC are.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

toshes mate

As long as the Club continue to buy quality rather than quantity I don't mind who they buy.  It would be nice to have a recognised striker lined up but someone who can score goals from midfield  (e.g. like Knockaert) would be just as welcome.  I am putting my faith in SJ's little helpers closing down one really clever signing by window closing time.

davew

Quote from: toshes mate on January 27, 2017, 04:35:19 PM
As long as the Club continue to buy quality rather than quantity I don't mind who they buy.  It would be nice to have a recognised striker lined up but someone who can score goals from midfield  (e.g. like Knockaert) would be just as welcome.  I am putting my faith in SJ's little helpers closing down one really clever signing by window closing time.
1 would be a start, but we need 3 more likely to make any difference to where we finish in the table! Playoffs are becoming a distant and unreachable dream this season.
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Milo

It's all last minute for an exciting Tuesday night woooo!

Buffalo76

Let's hope it certainly is an exciting time come Tuesday after an extremely low key January so far.

VicHalomsLovechild

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 27, 2017, 04:06:00 PM

Exactly.

Who?