watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Finance first Football team 2nd ?

Started by FulhamStu, January 25, 2017, 08:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FulhamStu

Reading the FST notes the other day, I was struck with the suggestion that Ally Mac is back in charge of transfers.  I was not keen on Rigg, but had hoped and suspect he did have a positive effect on player recruitment.  The FST notes suggested that Jokanovic is key to transfers, but the money man makes the final decision. 

Is a player worth £9million ?   It's a gamble, if he get you promotion then yes, if he gets injured or his form drops then no.    With a financial man in charge I expect he wants value such as potential sell on in the future or say a loan players that we can give back but for example is not happy to splash big money on a player like Rhodes whose value is now at its peak, even though a player like this could make the difference.

Our strategy seems to be, conservative, yes we will pay, but only if it looks a very good deal.  Alfayed got Fulham promoted by spending, Khan just does not seem as committed.  I am sure he does want us to go up, have success etc, why would he not, however I think he wants to keep reasonably tight financial control and not throw money at the project which makes it all the harder.  We are about the lose the parachuit payments and things will only become more challenging, sacking Rigg was fine but putting Ally Mac back in charge of the Footballing side of things is a little worrying.

toshes mate

I share your concern FulhamStu.

Good signings have good effects on a football club.  We know that from last summer's transfers.  Bad signings or upsets in the changing room have the reverse effect, and it takes time to make the bad good again.  I think Fulham are ever mindful of the business side (including FFP) and look to invest rather than take chances and yet, too often in transfer windows, we seem panicked into unwise last minute moves.  I often wish the board had a bolder approach but how often have we seen that go wrong too?   When we knew Dembele and McCormack were on their way (May 2016?) we should have had our striker targets and how much we would bid for them and the back up plans if we were outbid.  We should not have had to rely on a last moment loan deal.

grandad

FulhamStu , you said "  Alfayed got Fulham promoted by spending, Khan just does not seem as committed."
Fayed was not hampered by FFP restrictions. We have already suffered one embargo. We don´t need another just when things are turning around.
Where there's a will there's a wife

MJG

The CEO was always in charge of the finance side of things even when Rigg started. If it didn't work financially then no deal. The different CEO now does the club and player negotiations as well, where as Rigg did part of that.
If you listen to some people Rigg cost us more deals than CEO ever did.

FulhamStu

Thanks for the replies, I understand that Mackintosh always did the financials but Rigg was in charge of football with a direct line to Khan.  Now I believe Jokanovic has the prime footballing influence which is good, I just wonder if there is as much emphasis on Footballing needs as Financial priorities. Mackintosh knows about money but not about footballers, he has admitted that himself.  As for FFP, we are of course in a different world to AlFayed, both with escalating costs and the embargo etc, this however does not seem to stop other clubs massively outspending us (Brighton, Sheff Weds) to name 2, plus my understanding is we have only spent net a few million this season when we could potentially spend a lot more.   I agree however times are different, I still think however that Khan is not one to flash the cash whereas Mo Was !

filham

Of course there has to be financial restraint, splashing the credit card around to buy what is thought by a manager to be a good buy in every window would be a short road to liquidation. The manager and the financial guy have to work together and agree on a sensible balanced approach.
Twas ever thus.