watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Corners

Started by rogerpbackinMidEastUS, February 11, 2017, 04:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Can someone explain to me the objective when taking corners ?
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Twig

To put the ball in a dangerous area thereby creating a goal scoring opportunity? 

However you must know that we don't score from corners!

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Twig on February 11, 2017, 05:17:31 PM
To put the ball in a dangerous area thereby creating a goal scoring opportunity? 

However you must know that we don't score from corners!

Do you mean past the near post defender ?

Fulham Tup North

The idea is to pass the ball to the Defending side, without getting any height on the first cross.
It must be as Fulham do it constantly!!
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

ffc73

Our objective is to pass the ball short and work an opportunity to shoot from the edge of the box because
1 it's a 50 50 ball when lobbed into the box
2 we are a team of short players
3 our corner taker cannot kick the ball that far & hits the first defender

grandad

Some say it is to do with the taker having to run up a incline as the playing field is higher than the surrounds. Doesn´t seem to affect the opposition though. I just think we are useless at them, no matter who takes them. A bit like our penalties. I was a right back but took all our corners & found no problem putting them where I wanted .
Where there's a will there's a wife

Neil D

Tbh corners for us are a bit of a waste of time.  Even if Macdonald is there the ball never reaches him.  File away along with penalties.

filham

On a list of features of our play that need serious improvement corners come second only to penalties.

H4usuallysitting

It is a pass back to the oppositions defence to aid the opposing teams attack....

res

Pat Nevin did a piece last season looking at why so many players (not just ours) have problems with corners. The reasons included:
  -sharp inclines to the corner flag due to seats being nearer the touchlines
  -cables etc just underneath the turf around the corner flags feeding t.v. cameras etc
  -inconsistent grades of turfing due to the above and quicker wearing of the turf in place.
I don't watch much Premiership football but poor corner taking is a feature just as it is with ours.

love4ffc

Poor corners is no excuss at this level.  Players should be very adapt at taking corners from all kinds of situations.  Regardless of turf, cables and grades of the corner pitch. 

I have coached some youth club team that had to play on some God awful grounds with unbelievable corner pitches.  Yet those kids don't seem to have a problem with getting a ball into the box or dropping it on the spot.  Those kids are between 13 and 15 so if they can do it I see no excusses for players at this level. 

Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Surely it can't be too hard to get the ball round about the penalty spot, outside of the reach of most goalies and the
near post.
We constantly hear about the need to get behind fullbacks and sling in crosses, corners are a perfect attacking angle
for all sides and we are not that short a team, we had the same issues when Brede was hear and then Dan Burn.
Re-winding back 20-odd years to Symons, Melville, Coleman etc we scored more goals from corners by defenders
the Dembele, Saha or Ross scored in a season  (I think)