watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Blackpool Memories

Started by Peabody, August 28, 2010, 10:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

When I say Blackpool memories, I actually mean Sir Stanley Matthews, who after sterling service with Blackpool, returned to his home town club of Stoke City to end his career. Any way, his very last game in the Football League was against Fulham and Jimmy Langley was marking him.Sir Stan retired after this game and said what a pleasure it was to play against such a hard but fair opponent as Jimmy Langley. Cant remember either the date or the score, though I think it was around the end of the 1963/64 season.

finnster01

Mr Peabody,

This is very spooky. On Wednesday this week I attended a function here in New York and came across an older lady originally from just outside Oxford. She was a retired writer and had been in the US and New York since the early 1970'ies.

Well the function was rather mediocre, but I had a marvelous conversation with the lady who was just a terrific fountain of knowledge and somehow the conversation turned Fulham and she mentioned exactly the fact that Sir Stanley Matthews played his last game against Fulham...A very small world indeed  :Sparkyticus:   
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

LBNo11

...double spooky, yesterday I was chatting to (NAME DROP) Gentleman Jim McGullion and he was telling me that as a teenager he played with Jimmy about 15 years after bandy legged Jimmy had retired, in the same side - and I mentioned this very same fact about Sir Stanley Matthews and his regard for Jimmy Langley.. :58:
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Steve_orino

Quote from: Peabody on August 28, 2010, 10:30:42 AM
When I say Blackpool memories, I actually mean Sir Stanley Matthews, who after sterling service with Blackpool, returned to his home town club of Stoke City to end his career. Any way, his very last game in the Football League was against Fulham and Jimmy Langley was marking him.Sir Stan retired after this game and said what a pleasure it was to play against such a hard but fair opponent as Jimmy Langley. Cant remember either the date or the score, though I think it was around the end of the 1963/64 season.

And you thought you were leaving us.  These type of posts are exactly why I hoped you wouldn't leave...

Here in the States, I know all about Babe Ruth's, Lou Gerhig's, Joe DiMaggio's, & Mickey Mantle's (Baseball greats from the winning Yankees teams) but there were other great players from 'smaller' teams too -- Ty Cobb, Bob Gibson, & Roberto Clemente to name a few...but I don't care for baseball.

Reading/Hearing about the players, from the big clubs to the small clubs, especially as a Yank, is very much appreciated.  Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some Wikipedia-ing to do...
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

White Noise

Nice pic posted by Nutz on TIFF of Fulham v Blackpool 1959 -

jarv

Talking of Blackpool, who was the player Flham signed in the mid 70s. Cost about 80,000 and always commited himself to a scissors tackle. Wouldn't last 10 minutes today but he wasn't too bad. Midfielder.

Lighthouse

Quote from: jarv on August 28, 2010, 12:37:05 PM
Talking of Blackpool, who was the player Flham signed in the mid 70s. Cost about 80,000 and always commited himself to a scissors tackle. Wouldn't last 10 minutes today but he wasn't too bad. Midfielder.

Haven't looked this up but I rather hope it was John Evanson? I liked him as a non nonesense player
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Peabody

I think it was John Evenson