watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I can imagine what it's like

Started by rogerpbackinMidEastUS, February 16, 2017, 12:51:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

When I left the UK in 2002 I had been a supporter since 1961.
Since the advent of GJ and a few games on TV I still get goose bumps and 'finger nail biting' listening and watching.
I remember coming home one night and going on to the computer to see that we had won 3-1 at Man Utd.
My daughter was on holiday from the UK and we danced around like mad things.

I'm now 16 years older and can only imagine the emotions I would be going though if I was on the
terraces at CC or at away grounds.

Good luck, tolerance and reasonable calmness :0) to you lot who are there week-in week-out through
all of the same ups and downs that I go through from 3,000 miles away.
I would be bald by now.
Oh, I am

VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Twig

I have been away for over 6 years now and miss my Saturdays at the Cottage like nothing else.  Good news is I retire soon and will be home in West London for next season.  Looking forward to witnessing our first season back in the prem. COYW.

Woolly Mammoth

We may even be FA Cup Holders by then also.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Twig

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 16, 2017, 05:21:12 AM
We may even be FA Cup Holders by then also.

The double, indeed that will be quite nice as a precursor to our subsequent conquest of Europe.

bog

I was at United in October 2003. I framed the match day ticket, on the 3rd goal I hugged my wife without a solicitor's letter enabling me to do so. What a day out that was..... :yay: :clap_hands: 049:gif 082.gif

092.gif

grandad

The toughest decision I have ever made was to retire to Spain & give up my ST. Financial & health reasons made the  choice.
GJ & Russ Goldman´s Blogtalks keep the buzz going but it will never be the same as sitting in my old seat.

Where there's a will there's a wife

RaySmith

I think it's more stressful  not being able to get to games for one reason or another, than actually going and cheering the team on.

Just listening to GJ, and we are so lucky to have this resource  now, can be agony, and not even being able to appreciate a good passage of play, or bemoan a goal scoring opportunity missed. first hand.

I always want to be kicking a ball myself when listening-  to be on the pitch putting in a  tackle to stop an an opponent as he scythes through our defence, or getting on the end of one of Fred's crosses. My heart  is pumping and I'm ready for action, though confined to my chair before the computer.

I think it would be better to  listen to the game while on a treadmill, putting all your stress and frustration into running against the  machine's maximum speed, or on a cycle turbo trainer - by the end of the game you'd  be as  knackered as if you'd  played in it!

Woolly Mammoth

If I cannot get to a match home or away due to work commitments or washing my hair. I prefer to listen to the match commentary whilst playing the Drums, it relaxes me, and I enjoy the commentary more.
Sometimes for a change I play the Bugle. Now that's what I call a lovely bit of Trumpet.

Never forget your Roots.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 16, 2017, 04:14:30 PM
If I cannot get to a match home or away due to work commitments or washing my hair. I prefer to listen to the match commentary whilst playing the Drums, it relaxes me, and I enjoy the commentary more.
Sometimes for a change I play the Bugle. Now that's what I call a lovely bit of Trumpet.

You must have a huge dryer to dry your hair

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: grandad on February 16, 2017, 08:24:17 AM
The toughest decision I have ever made was to retire to Spain & give up my ST. Financial & health reasons made the  choice.
GJ & Russ Goldman´s Blogtalks keep the buzz going but it will never be the same as sitting in my old seat.

Where in Espana do you reside?

ffc73

I am fortunate to be able to go to most home and away games. FFC is my time and long may I have the means and time to continue this passion / madness

When I cannot get to games I prefer not to know what is happening & will evade all media outlets until well after full time

Born in Fulham but married to a Scot, my wife floated an idea "when we retire would we consider living in Scotland". My first thought. How would I get to Fulham?

grandad

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on February 17, 2017, 12:23:18 AM

I live 15 minutes east of Murcia City. in an expat free zone. Quite a few on my Spanish friends now support Fulham. They come round & watch the 90 min from the Offal.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Twig

Quote from: grandad on February 17, 2017, 08:32:36 AM
Quote from: H4usuallysitting on February 17, 2017, 12:23:18 AM

I live 15 minutes east of Murcia City. in an expat free zone. Quite a few on my Spanish friends now support Fulham. They come round & watch the 90 min from the Offal.

As a matter of interest, did you already speak Spanish or have you learnt since arriving in Spain?  I get the expat free zone thing but am always intimidated by the thought of having to learn a new language in my later years.

Woolly Mammoth

As an authority on languages including bad and industrial language. I find them intriguing, and you can learn a new language at any age really, some easier than others. Obviously it's easier to learn at a young age when the brain and memory is like a sponge.
However, I find the Spanish language very flowery and attractive compared to others, and it appears somewhat easier to learn than some, but that's only my opinion of course.

Never forget your Roots.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 17, 2017, 01:57:35 PM
As an authority on languages including bad and industrial language. I find them intriguing, and you can learn a new language at any age really, some easier than others. Obviously it's easier to learn at a young age when the brain and memory is like a sponge.
However, I find the Spanish language very flowery and attractive compared to others, and it appears somewhat easier to learn than some, but that's only my opinion of course.

De acuerdo

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on February 17, 2017, 02:20:08 PM

De acuerdo

Estamos de acuerdo.

Never forget your Roots.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 17, 2017, 04:47:11 PM

De acuerdo

Estamos de acuerdo.

Tambien
Gracias

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on February 17, 2017, 11:08:00 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 17, 2017, 04:47:11 PM

De acuerdo

Estamos de acuerdo.

Tambien
Gracias

de nada

Never forget your Roots.