watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bashed up fair and square

Started by Riversider, February 19, 2017, 06:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

By the most technically gifted side in the country , throughout the first half those slide rule passes between our two centre backs were (almost) a joy to watch,
If only we had a midfield player that had the inclination and ability to play passes like that for the likes of Kebano, Ayite and Cyriac to run on to,
Out of all the teams left in the draw we ended up with the worst option, Spurs were hungry for it, they played a strong side, and it meant something to them ,
I've seen Burnley, Leicester and Middlesbrough this weekend and none of them would have given Spurs a game today, and I would have fancied us against any of the other three,
The only real shame for me with regards to our Cup run is the fact that we've now got two games in hand over most other sides in the league, as the saying goes "it's points on the board that count"
One final thought of today, if their really our clubs willing to pay north of £10 million for Cairney in the summer, I would rip their hand off, each passing week his limitations are becoming more and more apparent, very one dimensional , and I can't remember his last "Killer pass" to put one of our strikers through on goal,
He's of course not to blame for today , but these last few weeks he's struck me as limited in his ability and he certainly be wearing the captains arm band that's for sure,

Will be interesting to see what happens now against Bristol and Cardiff , will our season still be alive this time next week ?

VicHalomsLovechild

He did seem to spend a little too long with the ball until he released it but as you say he wasn't to blame and Spuds would have made it a priority to close him down fast.

Texas White

We were just beaten by a better side. Big gap in experience and money between us and them.

Bill2

It is made somewhat easier when the linesman doesn't know the offside law. The second goal was clearly offside and as for the third he came back in the same passage of play from an offside position, it is very marginal if he was offside when the ball passed but seconds earlier he was clearly offside. I couldn't see these at the game as in the Hammy end but watching the BBC highlights it is very clear.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Riversider on February 19, 2017, 06:05:29 PM
By the most technically gifted side in the country , throughout the first half those slide rule passes between our two centre backs were (almost) a joy to watch,
If only we had a midfield player that had the inclination and ability to play passes like that for the likes of Kebano, Ayite and Cyriac to run on to,
Out of all the teams left in the draw we ended up with the worst option, Spurs were hungry for it, they played a strong side, and it meant something to them ,
I've seen Burnley, Leicester and Middlesbrough this weekend and none of them would have given Spurs a game today, and I would have fancied us against any of the other three,
The only real shame for me with regards to our Cup run is the fact that we've now got two games in hand over most other sides in the league, as the saying goes "it's points on the board that count"
One final thought of today, if their really our clubs willing to pay north of £10 million for Cairney in the summer, I would rip their hand off, each passing week his limitations are becoming more and more apparent, very one dimensional , and I can't remember his last "Killer pass" to put one of our strikers through on goal,
He's of course not to blame for today , but these last few weeks he's struck me as limited in his ability and he certainly be wearing the captains arm band that's for sure,

Will be interesting to see what happens now against Bristol and Cardiff , will our season still be alive this time next week ?
So you didn't see Kebano's goal v Wigan then?
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Burt

For all the class that Spurs undoubtedly have, and I have no quibble with the result, I would have liked to have seen a bit more fire in our bellies - we showed them far too much respect.

Lighthouse

There was a big gap not only in class but between the one forward and our midfield. Our tactics of hitting the long ball and hoping for our loan forward to run onto it was embarrassing. But even it was only the odd sign, we did put a few nice moves together. On the day we were pretty poor against a very good side. Shows how far we have to go and why we don't want to get there too quickly.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

ScalleysDad

The views on the level of performance are as expected I suppose ranging as they do from pathetic to oh well it was the spurs first team. As you say Burt a bit more fire in the belly would have at least avoided the write ups that start with comfortable win to easy work out for Spurs. For me personally the saddest thing was the little group I was with watching this game dwindled as the game progressed from eight to lonely me by the 70th minute. I think like the true fans the average neutral was expecting far better fare. Even the pundits had spoken with an element of high expectation before the game. AAAAArgh its the hope etc etc. 

Riversider

Quote from: Lighthouse on February 19, 2017, 08:54:29 PM
There was a big gap not only in class but between the one forward and our midfield. Our tactics of hitting the long ball and hoping for our loan forward to run onto it was embarrassing. But even it was only the odd sign, we did put a few nice moves together. On the day we were pretty poor against a very good side. Shows how far we have to go and why we don't want to get there too quickly.

Don't agree that it "shows how far we've got to go" , when we go up we don't have to be as good as Spurs or Chelsea or City or United,
But we have to be as good as or better than the likes of Bournemouth, Burnley, Watford or Boro etc and the gap to those sides isn't any where near the distance to Spurs.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Riversider on February 19, 2017, 09:15:19 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on February 19, 2017, 08:54:29 PM

Don't agree that it "shows how far we've got to go" , when we go up we don't have to be as good as Spurs or Chelsea or City or United,
But we have to be as good as or better than the likes of Bournemouth, Burnley, Watford or Boro etc and the gap to those sides isn't any where near the distance to Spurs.

The lack of guile, creativity, leadership and high tempo energy on show this afternoon makes the consistency required for top six a big enough challenge. I fully accept the points being made about it was Spurs, they are good etc etc but the level reached today against a Spurs with their foot off the gas would also struggle against the bottom third of the Prem. Any comparison with Hull must be balanced with the fact that if we played them today they have renewed spirit and against Boro we showed the resolve we lacked today.
Lots and lots of homework still to do.

gezkc

Spurs looked very strong today and totally outclassed us. The first half was just embarrassing - it seemed the team were over-awed and lacked confidence to play against such a strong side. Second half was much better, particularly when Sessegnon came on, but the gulf in class was all too apparent.
Still, at least now we can concentrate 100% on reaching the play offs. As has been said, let's wait until we're in the Premier League again before we try to match the likes of Spurs.