watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tottenham 1960s

Started by Stoneleigh Loyalist, February 23, 2017, 10:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Something which has frustrated me for some time were two unusual incidents which occurred in games against Spurs in the early 60s and despite being at both games I cannot remember the years or final results.
This is not a quiz, but merely a request to those who have been supporters for some years and will remember.

1. At the Cottage with Spurs playing towards the Hammersmith end, a terrific Fulham shot was heading for the top corner of the net when the Spurs fullback Peter Baker(?) jumped and punched the ball over the bar goalkeeper style. Everyone in the ground saw it and a photo was in the newspapers the next day, but the Ref and linesman did not see it and no penalty was given.
Impossible but true. In an interview, Danny Blanchflower the Spurs Captain said 'It is much better to have two goalkeepers than one'

2. I was at Spurs and Fulham were holding their superior opponents until with five minutes to go Tony Macedo casually bowled the ball out to the feet of Jimmy Greaves on the edge of the area. Jimmy said thank you very much, ran in and scored.
Macedo's mental block was never explained, the only theory being that Fulham were playing in their change strip and for a split second Macedo saw a white shirt  and instinctively passed him the ball.
I beieve that cost us a win?

The Swan

I was at the game when Tony Macedo rolled the ball straight to Jimmy Greaves who was standing on the edge of the penalty area. Greaves simply shot into the back of the net.
I think we were winning 1-0 at the time and the game ended 1-1
The Swan

HillingdonFFC

My dad was at the game where Macedo rolled it to Greaves, finds it funny now ,said he didnt at the time.

gang

I read after the game from a quote by Tony Macedo. He was bouncing the ball and with the ball in one hand meant to pass the ball into the other in order to feign Jimmy Greaves, unfortunately he took his eye from the ball and missed his hand and the rest as they say is history.