watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Youth loan report:

Started by FPT, February 25, 2017, 07:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FPT

Just an update on how those out on loan are doing.

Starting with the two at Burton. Lasse Vigen Christensen has become an ever present in the starting eleven, I think Burton appreciate his energy and creativity. He's now second for assists at Burton with three in six starts; yet to score but his care of the ball adds so much quality to a below average team that is more direct than most.

Cauley Woodrow has played fewer minutes than his fellow loanee as Nigel Clough dabbles between a striking partnership or just one up top. He's only played a full 90 minutes once since joining, being taken off before the end in the past three matches. He's contributed a scoring touch - a 90th minute winner Wolves as well as a goal and an assist in a 2-1 win at home to Norwich. From afar, he's probably their best striker and will play the majority of the minutes of their forward options between now and the end of the season. If he can hit the late single figures and push himself towards 10 goals, it'd be a phenomenal return for him in a poor team. Ability to say he can score goals in this division against this competition is a positive for him in returning if we don't get promoted. If we do go up, he possibly sets himself up for another loan.

Sean Kavanagh has made the starting left back berth at Hartlepool his own (but missed out today through injury). He's 23 now and will likely have to develop uber quickly to re-establish a career here before his contract end, but technically very good and will likely have a half decent career. His lack of physical or athletic qualities will cost him a career at the higher levels but good coaching can make him a top player in the lower divisions. I personally think he may have a career in a central midfield in the right team and under the right coach - his left foot is really high quality.

Marek Rodak has become Accrington Stanley's number one goalkeeper since joining in January. I personally prefer goalkeepers to go out to teams near the bottom of their divisions - they'll be tested more, Magnus Norman is taking in a similar loan in the division below. Rodak is the best shot stopper I've seen at academy level and seems to be showing that off in League Two. Has room for development in terms box presence but he's still built like a boy having turned 20 in December. For me, Rodak is the project goalkeeper within the ages likely to be involved soon, his shot stopping cannot be ignored.

Magnus Norman, as mentioned earlier, has been playing at the bottom of the National League with Southport. He's more physical of the two goalkeepers being spoken about, a lot thicker which gives him more of a natural presence in the penalty box. He's doing well and getting really strong reviews, I'm hoping that leads to a League Two loan next season.

Cameron Burgess started the season at Oldham in League One, supporters reviews were not that high but that may be down to the coaching. Now at Bury, initially under the previous management but now former Fulham player Lee Clark, Burgess is drawing some nice support as part of a back three. If you compared the opinions of Oldham and Bury supporters, you'd think they're talking about two completely different defenders. Burgess appears to be coming on nicely and it feels like he may be a really strong full year at League One away from being a potential Championship option. He's still only 21 so has plenty of time.

Lastly, the two at Shrewsbury. Jack Grimmer came back from an injury lay off today in a 2-1 loss to MK Dons, with Stephen Humphrys scoring a late goal to give a glimmer of hope to the Shrews. Grimmer has become a fans favourite it seems at Shrewsbury - that goal against Sheffield Wednesday will go far in helping that - they seem happy that he was back today. The remainder of this season for him seems to be hoping he can get back to fully fit and firing. He's 23 now, a reminder that Ryan Fredericks turned 24 this season. Like Burgess, I think Grimmer needs another good year at League One level to develop; preferably at a side higher up the level where he can train and play with better players and spend more time on the ball in attacking areas from full back (a career at centre back is probably beyond him at this point, may be something where he slots inside in his later years).

Humphrys now has two goals for Shrewsbury, one from the penalty spot on his first start (he also got sent off for an odd second yellow). He's come off of the bench three times, started once and scored twice. I don't mind him in this third rotationary striker role - Shrewsbury play with two up top and he largely gets 20-30 minutes when he does come off the bench. I think somebody like him will benefit from a loan like this - he can come across as a bit over confident in himself so a nice comedown to reality. Most importantly, he's playing against men which is so important for young strikers. If he can continue to play games, continue to score goals and maybe earn his way into a starting role; would be a very good loan for him.

Asotosyios

Quote from: FPT on February 25, 2017, 07:08:46 PM
Lasse Vigen Christensen has become an ever present in the starting eleven, I think Burton appreciate his energy and creativity. He's now second for assists at Burton with three in six starts; yet to score but his care of the ball adds so much quality to a below average team that is more direct than most.

He went very close to scoring last night, but his shot hit both posts. Here it is, if you haven't watched it:
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10781101/watch-lasse-vigen-christensens-effort-hits-both-posts-and-stays-out

bobby01

Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

HatterDon

as always, thanks for the effort and time you take with these

still hoping for a long and successful career for Grimmer
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Twig

Fantastic round up. I think Cameron could be a bit of a late developer.  Most loanees seem to be doing creditably.

cmg

Thanks. An interesting and excellent update.

Some of these guys seem to have been around for ever.
Cam Burgess's extraordinary insertion as a DM under Felix Meshugener seems part of ancient history. Amazing the lad survived and is still only 21.