more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham Supporters Trust History Project - Bill Shrimpton

Started by Friendsoffulham, February 26, 2017, 02:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friendsoffulham

FULHAM SUPPORTERS TRUST HISTORY PROJECT

This is an ongoing project to capture the thoughts and impressions of supporters through the years. This is not an A-Z history of Fulham Football Club, that can be found elsewhere. This is a history of the supporters, their experience through the decades.  Think of it as sitting near a senior supporter who offers little bits of information about the past. You tell him to stop going on about Johnny Haynes, but inwardly you want to hear more.  You know about our promotions and relegations and cup finals from the record books,  but what was it like for the supporters. What changes have happened not only to the club but to society around the ground.

My name is David Gregg and I started supporting Fulham in 1968 and In conjunction with the FST I'm looking to build an archive of videos, photos and documents relating to Fulham Football Club. So if you have anything you would like to pass on (and that you have permission to provide), or wish to get involved in this project, then please send to me at [email protected]

Our next contributer is Bill Shrimpton who started to watch Fulham in late 1940's.  He paints an evocative picture of the surrounding area with wood planks part of the skyline and coal dust on the Crabtree. He gives an explanation for "Fulhamish" and tells us about "the swans over the cottage" and leads us to the "gates of heaven."  After watching this video go to Video Vintage to see a clip of the Newcastle game that both he and Denis Fenton spoke so highly about.

Make a cup of tea, sit back and enjoy.......

http://fulhamsupporterstrust.com/history/

ron

Being no spring chicken myself I remember a good deal of your reminiscences myself (though not before '55).

The emotion in your face tells the other part of being a supporter of this great club apart from just recalling the history.

Well played Bill! I thoroughly enjoyed listening and watching.  049:gif

Lighthouse

My Dad would have loved this as well. He was born back in 1910 so I heard many of the stories from my Dad that Bill shares of his earlier memories of Jezzard, Haynes, Robson etc.Although my Dad was by then heading for middle age. I remember much of the other shared memories and am delighted how well and clearly Bill remembers them all. Thanks for the lovely idea and a step back to the great memories.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

LBNo11

...Just to remind Bill about his first ever game on the 7th September 1946 watching manager Jack Peart's Fulham amongst a crowd of 26,038 on a cool dull and showery day.

Ernie Shepherd scored the first goal and Ronnie Rooke the second giving Fulham a 2-0 half-time lead. In the second half Luton's Hugh Billington reduced the deficit with his goal. Then Fulham's Jack Watson conceded a penalty by handling in the penalty area and the Hatters had a chance of leveling the score; however, Fulham goalie Ted Hinton saved from Luton's Frank Soo.

On that day RAF Captain Teddy Donaldson broke the official speed record by flying his Gloster Meteor jet at 615.78 MPH...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Peabody

GhDammit, I left out Jimmy Langley. And just who are Crewe Albion?

Burt

Nice one Bill - good to put a face to the name  049:gif