Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Nero

I liked the bit about pending legal action against Derby

Twig

Quote from: grandad on March 04, 2017, 11:15:16 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 04, 2017, 10:35:20 AM
Quote from: grandad on March 04, 2017, 08:52:13 AM
Great interview. Tony Khan came over very honest & enthuiastic. Lets hope this interview is listened to by the very few Khan bashers who don´t appreciate what the Khans are trying to do.

There were more than a few grandad. So let's not do a Peter Mandelson here. Forgetting about the interview for a brief moment. Prior to this interview, please tell me exactly what your thoughts were and what you appreciate what the Khans are trying to do, and please don't look at your notes. Try explaining it from the top of your head.

They are trying to build our great club up again after the unholy mess they inherited. A far harder & longer job than the previous owner had. I feel more confident of the future of the Club. It is not just a plaything. Just enjoy the march onwards & upwards.

You cannot be serious!

ToodlesMcToot

Really enjoyed this interview Russ. Congratulations for getting Tony to do it! I hope the club will continue to provide interviewees to you from time to time.

For the amount of time that you had, I thought you packed quite a lot in and got some fairly open responses. I did think Tony sidestepped this past January window a little bit and I would have liked to hear his thoughts on the failure to get primary targets (Enrich) and why those kinds of transfers occur so late in the window. I know that many of us have our own versions of why this happens but would have been nice to hear Tony's.

Thought Tony's response to the Riverside question basically boiled down to "Some version of it will happen but the extent of redevelopment will depend on when/if we achieve promotion"

Very much enjoy that we are apparently going after Derby for the interference Martin.

Tony did seem quick to lay the Dembele, and I guess Roberts/Hyndman by extension, situation indirectly at Rigg's feet.

I hope that supporters will now just resign themselves (skeptically perhaps) to Tony's timeline for the full implementation of his and Kline's 2 check system of recruitment and hold that method to account in future windows. It's here to stay.

All good stuff. Some a bit controversial. Some just plain good information and great news, a la the commitment to the relationship with Slavisa.

Again, all really enjoyable. Thank you Russ and Emilio!
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

BedsFFC

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on March 06, 2017, 01:54:12 PM
Tony did seem quick to lay the Dembele, and I guess Roberts/Hyndman by extension, situation indirectly at Rigg's feet.

I'm please you posted this as that bit had been sticking in my head and I was going to post a question.

You think this was referring to Rigg? I had assumed Kit. On reflection, I think you may be right.

I can't help feeling that Kit could have done more on the whole youth front. I know there were other big factors but we did lose Hyndman & Roberts etc under his watch.

MJG

Quote from: BedsFFC on March 06, 2017, 02:01:42 PM

I'm please you posted this as that bit had been sticking in my head and I was going to post a question.

You think this was referring to Rigg? I had assumed Kit. On reflection, I think you may be right.

I can't help feeling that Kit could have done more on the whole youth front. I know there were other big factors but we did lose Hyndman & Roberts etc under his watch.
It goes back to before Rigg arrived. Kit was less than giving to all three of them and although more could have been done the seeds were sown in their heads to move on.

ToodlesMcToot

I make the assumption mainly b/c Tony is Rigg's direct replacement. Kit was Rigg's employee but one I don't believe that Rigg ever wanted as a senior team manager - seemed clear to me when Rigg, Kit, and AM were interviewed together (such an uncomfortable trio).

I just don't believe that Kit had the luxury to experiment with youth as much as he would have liked, again because I think he had that points goal hanging over his head - rightly or wrongly.

All guessing on my part - just a little bit better informed than previous guessing.  :022:

EricB

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: MJG on March 06, 2017, 02:05:45 PM

It goes back to before Rigg arrived. Kit was less than giving to all three of them and although more could have been done the seeds were sown in their heads to move on.

Wasn't aware of that tidbit. Of course, that changes my opinions. Seems odd that he'd "abandon" his best youth players when they were partly of the reason he was promoted/given caretaker status. I obviously don't know Kit. So, maybe it's not actually odd behavior for him at all.

I'm sad that we lost them and more so because most of the damage done to the club's relationship with those players seems to easily preventable.

snarks

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 04, 2017, 01:40:01 PM
Quote from: Statto on March 04, 2017, 11:30:24 AM

A far harder & longer job than the previous owner had.

my word

fp.gif

Astonishing.

I'll only say it depends on your perspective. MAF could just throw money at it, whereas that can't be done now (I'm ignoring the arguments about decline/relegation etc, and just focussing on getting a team into the premiership).

Chesh

I've heard Tony Khan about 3 times now (official, Talksport, and now this) and he definitely doesn't give the impression of someone merely playing with an expensive toy given to him by his dad.

What comes across is someone who cares, is driven to succeed, and above all has a plan and structure in place.

Above all, there can be no doubt of the recognition he gives to Slav as a top manager, and as long as he shows this with actions as well as words, then this should be the start of the next successful period in our history.

COYWs  082.gif  049:gif
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

Twig

Quote from: snarks on March 06, 2017, 02:17:29 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 04, 2017, 01:40:01 PM
Quote from: Statto on March 04, 2017, 11:30:24 AM

A far harder & longer job than the previous owner had.

my word

fp.gif

Astonishing.

I'll only say it depends on your perspective. MAF could just throw money at it, whereas that can't be done now (I'm ignoring the arguments about decline/relegation etc, and just focussing on getting a team into the premiership).

We have had this sooo many times now.  Yes MAF could spend with relative impunity (although he cut a number of smart deals).  However, as yet Khan has spent the square root of nothing on net transfer costs (I refer you to some excellent posts by Statto).  Now this is not necessarily a criticism of Khan's transfers (early efforts underwhelming vs recently much better) just a statement of fact.  If Khan wanted to spend more heavily he could. 

David I

Isn't it around the same time Khan senior made his famous "I'll do what it takes" statement? And then failed adequately to replace McCormack and Dembele or strength the squad as two transfer windows passed......
Must be season ticket renewal time!