more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (11/03/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 11, 2017, 07:06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

The Sean Davis Column

It would have been nice to start the month with back-to-back wins, but four points in the circumstances isn't the end of the world. It was a good victory against Preston last Saturday. Obviously we would have liked a clean sheet but at the moment results are more important than performances. I was speaking to some Leeds fans in the lounges on Tuesday and they were saying that they hadn't been playing particularly well, but they were winning games. Everyone likes to play well and look good, but getting the points on the board is the main thing and we did that against Preston.

Leeds was a crazy game. It started terribly with Tim Ream's own goal, and I don't think Tim could do that again if he tried. It was a freak goal so I don't think any blame can be attributed his way. He's been playing very well of late so it was unfortunate for him. Thankfully, the man of the moment got us out of jail. What a goal by Tom Cairney to nick a point. Before the game I wouldn't have taken a draw but when you're losing going into the fifth minute of stoppage time then you've got to be happy if you manage to get a result.

The celebrations when that shot hit the back of the net were something else. Tom's got a great left foot and it was a sweet strike. It was a big moment in a big game, and that's when you need your big players to step up. He did that for his team and he can take all the plaudits. Speaking of which, it was great to see him win EFL Player of the Year at the London Football Awards. It's good recognition for him. It's always nice when you're playing and you get accolades like that. He's shown plenty of hard work and dedication so it's good to see him getting the rewards.

When I saw that Sheffield Wednesday didn't win on Tuesday, I was annoyed that we didn't close the gap on them, but I suppose at least our failure to win didn't see us punished by the gap getting any bigger. We're no further away from the top-six but we did want to win all our home games. We've taken four points from our first two this month, so if we win the other two after Newcastle then that will be a decent return.

The next game is always the most important, and for us that's Newcastle on Saturday. What an opportunity to go to a fantastic club, a fantastic stadium, and try and put a spanner in their promotion charge. Credit to the Fulham fans who are making the trip. It's not cheap to get to and once you're there you're in the worst seats possible, they're so high up! Those are some die-hard fans right there. It's always a thunderous atmosphere at St James' Park, it's great to play in. I scored there for Fulham once, not that it mattered much as we still lost 3-1!

Newcastle may be top of the league but they're capable of losing home games here and there. A few teams who I wouldn't consider to be the same class as us have gone there this season and won. So there's nothing to fear, especially considering how good our away form has been on the whole this season. When we're playing in an open game we tend to do really well. We struggle more when teams put 10 men behind the ball and hit us on the counter, so I think it's set up for us to do well there.

They've got dangerous players all over the park so it's important we contain them. I was at Portsmouth when Matt Ritchie was a young kid and you could always tell that he was going to go on and be a good player, so we'll have to watch out for him. It's important that we don't give away wide free-kicks because they've got the quality to put the ball in and trouble us with set-pieces. But I'm looking forward to the match – it should be a cracker.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/march/10/the-sean-davis-column

WhiteJC

Pundits predict: Newcastle United v Fulham - Can the Magpies further their lead?

Newcastle United take on Fulham on Saturday in the Championship, and HITC pundits give their predictions on the likely outcome.

Dan Coombs

Newcastle United 2-1 Fulham

Newcastle did tremendously in their run of tricky away games and will be glad to be back playing in front of a home crowd. Fulham are tough opponents but this is a chance for Newcastle to really rubber stamp their bid to be champions.

Danny Owen

Newcastle United 3-3 Fulham

Expect goals. Both teams score plenty let look continuously porous at the other end and, with Newcastle's home record leaving a lot to be desired, don't bet against Fulham grabbing a result at St James' Park.

Alfie Potts-Harmer

Newcastle United 1-2 Fulham

A difficult game to predict at St James' Park, as Fulham are in really good form but Newcastle have beaten fellow high-flyers Brighton and Huddersfield in recent weeks. It would be typical of the Championship to open things up here though, and that's why I think the in-form Cottagers might just sneak all three points.

Vincent Ralph

Fulham are in form right now but Newcastle need to keep winning and home advantage should ensure the Magpies take a little wind out of the Cottagers' sails this weekend.

Che Thomas

A really intriguing game at St James's Park, with Fulham impressing over the last month. If the season was a little longer, you get the feeling the Cottagers would catch the playoff places. However, Newcastle are still confidently perched at the top of the table, and though it will be a tight game, I think they have that extra bit of quality that could see them to victory.

Aiden Cusick

Newcastle United 1-1 Fulham

Newcastle's problems have come mostly at home this season, which should give Fulham hope ahead of their long trip north. The Cottagers are well on form and were unlucky not to beat Leeds in midweek. I fancy them to sneak a play-off place and a point at the league leaders will only increase their own belief.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/03/09/pundits-predict-newcastle-united-v-fulham-can-the-magpies-fur/

WhiteJC

Jokanovic not expecting a repeat performance against Newcastle

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic doesn't expect tomorrow's game at Newcastle United at St James' Park will be at all similar to the first meeting between the pair earlier in the season.

The Cottagers won the opening day fixture against the Magpies through a second half Matt Smith goal, but Jokanovic told Fulham's official website, plenty of water has passed under the bridge since then:

"It was the beginning of the Championship. After that game we played many games, and in that moment of the competition no-one knew who was who, and we've gone and surprised them a little bit. It was a good night for ourselves but this was many months ago and now it's a different situation, a different moment in the competition and now we must be ready for what is here in front of us."

Jokanovic's side sit just outside the playoff places, five points off sixth placed Sheffield Wednesday with a game in hand. They are unbeaten in their last six matches, with four wins and two draws.

Newcastle meanwhile head into the match on an eleven match unbeaten run, and Rafa Benitez's side will be looking to keep their advantage over the chasing pack when they face Fulham. The Magpies will be hoping to keep up their good form after getting seven points from a possible nine against their promotion rivals in recent fixtures.

http://nothingbutnewcastle.com/2017/03/blogs/gallowgate-gossip/jokanovic-not-expecting-a-repeat-performance-against-newcastle/

WhiteJC

Neeskens Kebano ready for the battle

Fulham midfielder Neeskens Kebano believes he has finally adapted to the English game and can bring what he does best to the Fulham squad as they hunt down the play-off places.

The 24-year-old signed from Belgian side Genk in August, having plied his trade in the Belgian First Division since September 2013, having played with Charleroi before signing for Genk in 2015.

After an adjustment period at the club where Kebano got to grips with living in London, he has wowed the Craven Cottage faithful in recent weeks with some stunning displays, winning man of the match during the 3-1 victory over Preston.

And now, after adjusting, Kebano is ready to help Fulham push for the play-offs, with the help of the fans.

He said: "I took the time to adapt because I moved from another country, so now I know much more about my team mates and it's a bit easier to play with them so I was waiting for my chance.

"Now I have it I try to do my best to bring what I can bring to the squad.

"It is always a pleasure to hear praise from the opposition journalists, but I'm just focused on my goal with the team, we have the same goal and that is the most important thing for me and the team.

"This month is very important because we have a game each three days so it is the best way to win the maximum points.

"After this month we will know if we are still in the race for the play offs.

"The fans are very important, like against Leeds where we missed some energy they are always there to push us so with their support we know we can be very strong."

http://www.fulhamweb.co.uk/news/neeskens-kebano-ready-for-the-battle.aspx

WhiteJC

Rafa Benitez warns players to be ready for 'very dangerous' encounter at St James' Park
Rafa Benitez suggests that the Fulham game is just as tough for Newcastle United as Brighton, Huddersfield and Reading encounters

Rafa Benitez has warned that this weekend's clash with Fulham will be just as difficult as Newcastle United's last three away fixtures.

Few fancied the Magpies to emerge from trips to Brighton, Huddersfield and Reading with seven points to show for their efforts.

However, the impressive sequence on the road means they go into the last 10 games as table toppers with a superior goal difference.

But Benitez is eager to ensure that his team don't display any complacency this weekend.

He said: "It is an important game because after three good results people think it (promotion) is nearly done.

"Fulham have a great record from corners and attempts.

"They are a team with a lot of attacking power and possession.

"They are doing really well.

"They need to win because they could still be in the play-offs.

"It will be a tough game. Some people may think it will be an easy game because we play at home.

"They are very dangerous because they play nice football.

"I am telling the players that we have to be ready for a tough game.

"That's always the case but this week it's even more important."

Newcastle still require 13 points from an available 30 to reach the 90-point mark that usually wins automatic promotion from the Championship.

Benitez said: "I have always spoken about April as a crucial month and I still think it will be the same.

"Obviously if we can win against Fulham or Birmingham then we will be a little bit closer.

"April is still an important month with a lot of games.

"Fulham is a very difficult and we must try to get three points."

And as Newcastle try to gain revenge for the 1-0 loss suffered back at Craven Cottage in August, Benitez is expecting a different type of game against two sides that have learned a lot in the last eight months.

He added: "We can try to put things right but I think they have improved a lot since August.

"We have improved a lot too.

"It could be an interesting game for the fans.

"Our main aim though is to take one step closer to our target."

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rafa-benitez-warns-players-ready-12725218

WhiteJC

Fulham could be the ideal game
Newcastle United often slip up when playing struggling sides at St James' Park, so in-form Fulham will be just what they need

By Malcolm Macdonald

Beware! Fulham are dangerous and it won't be easy.

I'm so delighted with Newcastle's Magnificent Seven points from three of the toughest away matches imaginable that I'm desperate for them not to undo all the good work this afternoon.

United struggle more at St James' Park than on the road and it's absolutely imperative that they don't come a cropper. This is a key game, it really is.

Fulham are quite capable of pulling out a good result.

They are the joint third-top scorers in the Championship and Newcastle let in goals at home the way they don't on their travels.

The back four must be rock solid in front of a good keeper and then the offensive players can go out looking for a decisive goal with an hour and a half in which to do it.

United's last home game was a bad 'un which we have in the main forgotten about because of Brighton, Huddersfield and Reading. They were two down in 20 minutes to Bristol City and ended up 2-2 for just a point.

However thereby hangs an argument. Perhaps it's good after all that Fulham are the opposition.

United seem to raise their game against the best at SJP but struggle against relegation-threatened sides. Think of Blackburn as well as Bristol City.

So perhaps I should be more worried about Wigan and Burton who are next up here rather than Fulham!

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-must-bring-away-form-12722877