watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (31/08/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 31, 2010, 08:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_6349944,00.html?
Fulham eye Drenthe deal
Dutch international can leave Real before deadline

Fulham are eyeing a move for Real Madrid ace Royston Drenthe, skysports.com understands.

Drenthe has been told he can leave Real as he does not figure in Jose Mourinho's plans at El Santiago Bernabeu.

The Dutchman was not included in Real's squad for their opening Primera Liga clash at Real Mallorca at the weekend.

French side Monaco were believed to be keen on signing the versatile left sider, but Drenthe is thought to have rejected a move to the Principality.

The news has alerted Fulham boss Mark Hughes who could now offer Drenthe an escape route out of Madrid.

Hughes is keen to bolster his squad before the close of the transfer window and Drenthe's versatility in that he can play at left-back as well as left wing makes him an attractive proposition

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/August/WorldCupVisit.aspx?
FIFA Team Completes England Visit

A team of FIFA inspectors concluded their visit to England on Thursday after being in the country to assess England's bid to host the FIFA World Cup™ in 2018. The six man delegation travelled to London, Sunderland, Newcastle and Manchester to inspect the technical proposals of England's bid, as well as meeting with a number of key figures in English football.

Leader of the inspection team and President of the Chilean FA, Harold Mayne-Nicholls praised the country's world class stadia and passionate fans, stating that a World Cup in England "would be a great experience with a long lasting legacy for the country and its people as well as for football worldwide."

The inspection team began their tour of England on Monday with a visit to Number 10 Downing Street to meet with Deputy Prime Minister, Nick Clegg who confirmed the Government's full support for the bid. The group then visited Wembley Stadium where they met with England Manager, Fabio Capello.

On Tuesday the team took a river boat trip down the Thames to visit The O2 Arena as the England 2018 team described how the venue would be used for the Final Draw if the bid is successful.

The group then travelled to the north east of England – taking in a number of proposed stadiums from the air during the journey. The day concluded with a visit to Middlesbrough's Rockliffe Hall training facilities – one of the training camps included in England's bid.

Wednesday saw the inspection team visit four stadiums across three candidate host cities. The day began with a visit to Sunderland's Stadium of Light to meet with AFC Sunderland Chairman, Niall Quinn, before taking a tour of Newcastle's St James' Park led by Toon legend, Peter Beardsley.

The City of Manchester was the next stop for the delegation before ending with a visit to Old Trafford where the group met Sir Alex Ferguson, Sir Bobby Charlton and Manchester United players Rio Ferdinand and Wayne Rooney.

The inspection team's final day in England involved a number of inspirational presentations on the domestic and global impact that a World Cup in England could have on human and social development.
England will find out if its bid to host the 2018 FIFA World Cup™ has been successful when FIFA make their decision on 2nd December.

To show your support for England's bid, text ENGLAND to 62018 or visit www.england2018bid.com

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/August/WorldCupVisit.aspx?#ixzz0yAzmyXa8

WhiteJC

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/42946/Agent_Arsenal_turned_down_signing_Schwarzer_for_free.aspx
Agent: Arsenal turned down signing Schwarzer for free

Mark Schwarzer could have joined Arsenal on a free transfer two years ago, according to his former agent Barry Silkman.

The Australian international was offered to the Gunners as he entered his final year at Middlesbrough but ended up sealing a free move to Fulham after Arsene Wenger opted to add Pole Lukasz Fabianski as back-up to then first choice Manuel Almunia.

Schwarzer, 37, has since been the subject of two formal offers from the Gunners in the current transfer window, but with Mark Hughes unwilling to allow his number one stopper to leave without lining up a replacement it appears that the 37-year-old Premier League veteran could miss out on a chance to test himself at the highest level.

Speaking exclusively to Sport.co.uk on deadline day, agent Barry Silkman made clear that his former client is desperate to join Arsenal, recognising that it will be the final chance of his career to play for a big four club.

"His current situation is he wants to leave," Silkman stressed.

"The one thing about Mark is he is probably the nicest player, as a man, that I've ever been involved with. I've really, really got a lot of time for him. I think he'll be really frustrated and obviously you only get one chance to go to a club like Arsenal.
"It's funny actually because years ago when he was coming to the end of his contract at Middlesbrough, and he hadn't agreed an extension, I spoke with Arsenal and they didn't fancy him.

"I tell a lie, they didn't say they didn't fancy him; they just weren't sure as they had other goalkeepers on the horizon. My response was that I told them they were making a mistake, and to be honest I think they did make a mistake.

"He would have been available on a free and I think at the time they made a mistake. I'm not being biased because I was his representative, but for ten, eleven years he has been the most consistent goalkeeper in the Premier League.

"He's now got one chance to get out and obviously if he doesn't he'll be very frustrated. That's the name of the game, that's football; if a club has you under contract the bottom line is they can do what they want to do."

Reflecting on Schwarzer's current contract at Craven Cottage, Silkman believes that the player was eventually ill-advised not to have had a clause inserted allowing him to move for a million pound fee.

"If I'd have done the deal taking him to Fulham you know...if I'd been his agent on the deal I would have got a clause in there that says if a club, by some miracle, offers a million for him he should be allowed to go. He was 34/35 when he went there; I would have had that inserted into his contract for sure."

With the 6pm deadline fast approaching, Arsenal are expected to pursue Fulham with one final bid for Schwarzer with speculation mounting that a £4 million offer has been tabled.

WhiteJC

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/42954/Cascarino_New_signing_shows_Liverpool_have_lowered_their_sights.aspx?
Cascarino: New signing shows Liverpool "have lowered their sights"

Former Republic of Ireland international Tony Cascarino believes Liverpool's imminent capture of Fulham left-back Paul Konchesky illustrates how far their stock in English football has fallen, because the 29-year-old is not good enough for any of the Premier League's top four clubs.

Liverpool are expected to complete the signing of the Fulham defender prior to today's 6pm deadline and although Cascarino suggests the fullback is a "solid performer", the player would not get into any of last season's top four clubs.

Speaking to the Times, Cascarino suggested Konchesky was the 'Signing of the week', saying: "Not because he's a great player but because of what Liverpool buying him represents.

"The left back is a good, solid performer who will help solve a problem position for the club but he's not someone the other top four contenders would ever have considered buying.

"He's not Champions League quality. How Liverpool have lowered their sights."

WhiteJC

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=819539&sec=transfers&cc=5739
Goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer staying at Fulham

Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer looks set to stay at the club in this transfer window, despite continued interest from Arsenal.

Schwarzer was the subject of a last-ditch £4 million bid from the Gunners, after earlier bids had been deemed too small, but Mark Hughes' side have not been able to find a replacement stopper and won't sell the Australian.

37-year-old Schwarzer has previously declared his desire to join Arsenal, but will now stay at Craven Cottage with England hopeful David Stockdale acting as his No. 2.

WhiteJC

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/42974/Sky_Sports_pundit_Schwarzer_not_much_better_than_Almunia_.aspx?
Sky Sports pundit: Schwarzer not much better than Almunia

Arsenal hero Paul Merson is unsure if Fulham number one Mark Schwarzer is much better than Manuel Almunia, despite Arsene Wenger's best efforts to bring the Australian to the Emirates this summer. The former Highbury star believes Manchester City stopper Shay Given would be a far better alternative to the 37-year-old and has urged the Frenchman to make the Eastlands star his top priority.

Time is running out for the Gunners to seal a deal for the veteran Premier League star, with the 6pm transfer deadline now just hours away, but Merson suggests Schwarzer would not represent a significant improvement on the much maligned Almunia.

Reports this afternoon indicate Arsenal are unlikely to secure Schwarzer's signature this summer despite offering Fulham £4 million. The recent injury sustained by David Stockdale has reportedly all but scuppered Arsenal's efforts to land Schwarzer, but Merson believes the aforementioned Manchester City goalkeeper would be a better alternative to Almunia anyway.

The Arsenal legend told skysports.com: "I played with Mark Schwarzer and he's a good goalie, but I don't know if he's that much better than Manuel Almunia.

"He has played for Middlesbrough and Fulham, but playing for Arsenal is a different kettle of fish.

"For me, Arsenal should break the bank and get Shay Given because he would save you 10 points per season.

"I'm not sure of the other two would do that. If Arsenal got Given, they would have every chance of winning the league."

WhiteJC

http://www.wolves.co.uk/page/AcademyReportDetail/0,,10307~2140441,00.html?
Cottagers Take The Points
Posted on: Tue 31 Aug 2010
Two goals either side of the interval helped put paid to the Academy team's hopes of taking anything from their trip to Fulham at the weekend.

The Molineux youngsters hit back through Andre Landell, this after missing a penalty, before a Fulham break saw a third goal confirming the win for The Cottagers.

Coach Mick Halsall said: "It was a good competitive game and I thought the players came out of it with a lot of credit. It was always going to be tough and from the start we were asked questions.

"It took us a while to settle down into some sort of rhythm of play but after 15 minutes I thought we were in the game.

"Although they had more possession than us, we worked well at closing their space and trying to keep them in front of us.

"I think we had the two best chances in the first half and with more accurate shooting from Liam McAlinden and John Gorman we could have taken the lead.

"But it wasn't to be and we conceded from a set play just before the break with their player getting on the end of a deep cross to the back post

"The half time team talk was all about making sure the players realised we were still in the game but within two minutes of the second half we were 2-0 down.

"We responded well and forced a clear cut penalty but, unfortunately, McAlinden missed from the spot. But we continued to press forward and eventually scored through Andre Landell.

"We showed good commitment to get forward creating at least another six decent chances but we could not finish. Then Fulham broke to the score 3-1.

"Again we continued to get at them but could not succeed in breaking them down.

"I feel we learned more from this game than from the victory against Ipswich last week. This was hard all the way through but the players stuck at it and, in the end, I thought they did well."

WhiteJC

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/liverpool-suffer-another-rejection-on-frustrating-?
Liverpool suffer another rejection on frustrating deadline day
Liverpool fail in attempt to sign Fulham striker Bobby Zamora

Liverpool have allegedly been rebuffed in a bid for Fulham striker Bobby Zamora.

Roy Hodgson is a known admirer of the 29-year-old having worked him during their time together at Craven Cottage, and the Telegraph reports that the Liverpool boss made an official enquiry regarding the availability of the centre-forward.

The Telegraph suggests that, while the Reds were in negotiations to sign Paul Konchesky from the Cottagers, the possibility of securing a deal for Zamora was raised with Fulham representatives.

However, the London club remain adamant that the England international is not for sale and, hence, swiftly moved to reject Liverpool's advances.

Speculation was mounting that the Merseysiders were prepared to offer a sizeable £10 million for the former West Ham forward, but Hodgson must now look elsewhere to bolster his strike-force.

The 63-year-old is desperate to add another goalscorer to his squad before the transfer window closes this evening, but says he is only interested in bringing the right man to Anfield.

"If we could get us a striker who could really take the pressure off Fernando Torres from time to time that would be very useful," he admitted.

"But we still haven't found the right man and time is running out for us.

"I think it could be the icing on the cake but I'm anxious not to bring in people who I don't think are good enough.

"Just spending money to bring someone in to say we have another player could be a mistake."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/August/KoncheskyTransfer.aspx?
Konchesky Departs

Fulham Football Club has secured the services of promising youngsters Lauri Dalla Valle and Alex Kacaniklic from Liverpool as part of a cash plus players deal, that has seen Paul Konchesky move to Anfield.

Finnish striker Lauri Dalla Valle recently made his first team debut for Liverpool having impressed at youth team level in recent seasons. The 18-year-old scored eight goals as the Reds reached the FA Youth Final in 2009.

Swedish winger Alex Kacaniklic was also a member of Liverpool's Youth Cup team in 2009, scoring in the Final against Arsenal. Having joined Liverpool's Academy from Helsingborg in the summer of 2007, Kacaniklic was promoted to Liverpool's Reserve team after two years.

As the Club welcomes two promising future prospects it would like to also thank Paul Konchesky for all his efforts since joining Fulham in the summer of 2007.

Konchesky was an integral member of Fulham's formidable defence in recent years and played a crucial role in the Club's recent Barclays Premier League and UEFA Europa League successes. The Club would like to wish Paul every success for his future with Liverpool FC.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/August/KoncheskyTransfer.aspx?#ixzz0yBzM7cUP

WhiteJC

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/Fulham-chase-Roma-keeper-.6504728.jp
Fulham chase Roma keeper

Fulham are hoping to push through a last-ditch loan deal for Roma goalkeeper Doni, according to Sky Sports.
The Brazilian shot-stopper is currently out of favour in the Italian capital and could be on his way to the Premier League, with The Cottagers keen to snap him up on a season-long loan.

With Mark Schwarzer heavily linked with a move to Arsenal, Mark Hughes had hoped to land Manchester City's Shay Given but the Blues have refused to discuss a move.

Fulham have made it clear that they will not let the Aussie leave during this transfer window, but if they are successfully bring in suitable cover, they may consider allowing Schwarzer to move to the Emirates.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/August/InternationalCallUps.aspx?
Fulham Internationals

Qualification for Euro 2012 kicks-off on Friday with eight Fulham players involved for their respective nations.

Close to home, Chris Baird and Aaron Hughes have been selected by Northern Ireland for Friday's clash against Slovenia in Maribor whilst Damien Duff and Stephen Kelly have been selected by the Republic of Ireland for two qualifying matches.

The Fulham duo will travel to Yerevan for Friday's match against Armenia before heading home to Dublin for Tuesday's qualifier against Andorra.

Fulham's Norwegian contingent, Brede Hangeland and Bjorn Helge Riise, head to Reykjavik for Friday's head-to-head with Iceland before a home tie against Portugal in Oslo on Tuesday.

Following his return to the international scene with Hungary, Zoltan Gera will be in action twice over the next week, first against Sweden in Solna before entertaining Moldova in Budapest.

After making a scintillating start to his Fulham career, Moussa Dembele heads home to Brussels for Friday's qualifier against Germany, before his Belgium team take on Turkey in Istanbul on Tuesday.

Further afield three Fulham players will be taking part in Continental Qualifiers in Africa. John Pantsil will team up with up Ghana for Sunday's match against Swaziland in Lobamba whilst Rafik Halliche returns home to Blida for Algeria's game against Tanzania. Saturday's goal scoring hero, Dickson Etuhu, has been selected by Nigeria for Sunday's qualifier against Madagascar in Abuja.

Carlos Salcido will also be collecting plenty of air miles over the next week, as he returns home to Mexico for two friendly matches against Ecuador on Saturday in Guadalajara, and Columbia on Tuesday in Monterrey.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/August/InternationalCallUps.aspx?#ixzz0yCanc6x8

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6350949,00.html?
Fulham to offer Zamora deal
Striker poised for lucrative new contract

Fulham are poised to offer star striker Bobby Zamora the most lucrative contract in the club's history after warding off suitors of the player, skysports.com understands.

The West London club are keen to keep hold of the 29-year-old and they are in talks over a bumper new deal to fend off interest from rival clubs.

Zamora, who has been ruled out of England's squad for their forthcoming Euro 2012 qualifiers because of a thigh injury, has one year left on his current deal and Fulham are desperate to secure his long-term future.

Fulham have reportedly rejected overtures this summer from the likes of Liverpool, Tottenham, Sunderland, Birmingham, Juventus and Schalke for the England international.

Zamora, who played a key role in Fulham's march to the Europa League final last season, has started this campaign in fine style with a number of eye-catching performances.

Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson was in the market for a new striker and is believed to have sounded out a move for Zamora, while Spurs chief Harry Redknapp is also a huge admirer of the forward.

Sunderland expressed an interest in Zamora as they saw him as an ideal replacement for Kenwyne Jones following his departure to Stoke.

Birmingham have held a long-term interest in Zamora and are thought to have had several bids rejected for the former West Ham man this summer.

Fulham were determined to fight off the interest in Zamora as he is a key part of Mark Hughes' plans at Craven Cottage and they are keen to give the forward the most lucrative deal in their history to reward him for his loyalty.

WhiteJC

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/8748/exclusive-fulham-launch-late-bid-spurs-star?
Exclusive - Fulham launch late bid for Spurs star

Fulham are in talks over a season-long move for Tottenham midfielder David Bentley, talkSPORT understands.

The 26-year-old has struggled to force his way into Spurs boss Harry Redknapp's plans and has never settled in north London since his £16m move from Blackburn two years ago.

Cottagers boss Mark Hughes is a big fan of Bentley from their time together at Rovers, but faces a race against time to get his man with the transfer window shutting at 6pm.