watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

SPINE

Started by Jims Dentist, March 16, 2017, 05:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims Dentist

Really good teams invariably have a strong spine through the middle.

Our promotion and cup final teams were no exception to this.

Our current guys play some superb football, but do we currently have that solid spine?

e4b

Think we have 1 or 2 vertebrae but could do with some more.

SP

Good point JD.  I think the Leeds central pairing were rock solid & I'd love to have something similar to provide a more solid platform for our attacking options.

Woolly Mammoth

Sadly our spine to me does not look solid enough, compared to other teams who are hovering for play off places. We are lacking a Physical presence down the backbone, and I would like to see more leaders and characters than we have at present. However, it is what it is, and what we do have is quality in technique, pace and a high tempo game. Which should put us in the mix for a play off place. I just hope that with a thread bare squad, injuries do not take their toll.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Fulhamfan666

we're not as tight as I'd hoped, and we need a new striker that can bag a lot of goals.

Don't think if we reach premier league we'll stay there for too long.

GloucesterWhite

Quote from: Fulhamfan666 on March 17, 2017, 02:37:51 AM
we're not as tight as I'd hoped, and we need a new striker that can bag a lot of goals.

Errr, just maybe we will sign a few new players if we go up?

toshes mate

Way back, pre-season, I was enthused by the way SJ was developing partnerships all over the field, two or three players linking together because they knew the drill, the moves, and what other partnerships elsewhere would be doing.  It takes time to develop those partnerships, since they rely on trust in depth.  So much of the hard work in training has been on ball retention, quick passing skills, nudging, moving, and then making a really shrewd pass.  The method always has a danger of breaking down but when the ball more often than not is returned to a Fulham player then we can all see where the percentages come into play.  Many of those partnerships have gelled into, at best, formidable obstacles for an opposition to break down.  At worse some are less strong, and a little brittle, but they are all, even the best, works in progress.   And the best thing about the way the partnerships have manifested is the interchangeable nature of the groups involved which has reduced our weakness in giving away soft goals.   

The mistakes will still happen because our players are human, but, whatever happens this season, we have a strength that can be built up and made stronger on a game by game basis.  That seems to me to be the philosophy of SJ and his team.   We have a spine that is stronger than many people think.

Woolly Mammoth

I have no doubt we will stay there if we build on the team that makes it there, as suddenly the landscape will change because we've will have the financial reward of getting promotion, all those millions to negotiate and bring in the quality players which should be attracted to us as a Premier League team.
We are already producing the kind of football needed to survive in the Top Flight, add the money to enable the surgery to be done by our manager to dot the i's and cross the t's. To then be in a position to hold our own and beyond in the first season.
But first and foremost we have to get there, then we can make the neccessary provision to stay there and progress. The sooner we get there the sooner we reap the financial reward.

Never forget your Roots.

hovewhite

Think we have the spine,but not the back up to cover when players tire.

Fulhamfan666

Quote from: GloucesterWhite on March 17, 2017, 08:32:02 AM

Errr, just maybe we will sign a few new players if we go up?
Obviously, but will that be enough? Only time will tell...

aaronmcguigan

Getting to the premier league and staying there are 2 completely different jobs. Different players will be needed. Different players will be open to coming to us. You think Negredo, Defour, Valdes, Ryan mason gave their new clubs any thought when they were sitting in the championship grinding out results regardless of how they were playing last season.

EJL

Prone to too many mistakes but I'm not sure if it's a deficiency further playing time together will solve. Just have to trust the manager.

jarv

The key to every successful Ferguson team was the 2 central defenders. Check it out for yourself, starting with McLiesh and Miller at Aberdeen. Also, Wenger's best teams always had 2 outstanding central defenders. (which is probably why they have not won anything for a few years now).

Fulham have an excellent team now, good spine but just add ONE very good central defender and they will be complete. Two if, by some chance, promotion to the premier is achieved.

filham

The midfield engine room of McDonald, Johansonand Cairney , up until Tuesday night has been supurb and behind them Kalas has looked solid. If only our two late highly valued late window signings, Sigurdsson and Martin, had come up to expectations we would have the best spine in the championship.

We all thought we had bought well with Sigurdsson and Martin, in replacing them we are going to spend big money and must be very careful in selection. We must avoid another big money failure.

Woolly Mammoth

Today showed unfortunately that our Spine is lacking and it's not the first time. The backbone is not strong enough at the moment. Defensively we are milky, and physicaly week.
Of course when we are conceding these goals it puts pressure on the forwards to score, and it appears we do not have a natural striker.
However, all is not lost for this season yet, we are just outside the top six, with Rotherham up next, but I wouldnt put it passed us to foul that up as well. But three points there will get us back on track, then it's a fairly tough run in, so I wouldn't put  any money on us that's for sure.
Considering our wafer thin squad, and the lack of activity and support from the club in January, we have done well to find ourselves in 7th, so near yet so far.
But it shows that without a strong backbone, promotion is very difficult, and Fulham's Spine at the moment does not have enough vertebrae. At least we are at the right end of the table this year.

Never forget your Roots.

hopper

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 18, 2017, 05:24:42 PM
Today showed unfortunately that our Spine is lacking and it's not the first time. The backbone is not strong enough at the moment. Defensively we are milky, and physicaly week.
Of course when we are conceding these goals it puts pressure on the forwards to score, and it appears we do not have a natural striker.
However, all is not lost for this season yet, we are just outside the top six, with Rotherham up next, but I wouldnt put it passed us to foul that up as well. But three points there will get us back on track, then it's a fairly tough run in, so I wouldn't put  any money on us that's for sure.
Considering our wafer thin squad, and the lack of activity and support from the club in January, we have done well to find ourselves in 7th, so near yet so far.
But it shows that without a strong backbone, promotion is very difficult, and Fulham's Spine at the moment does not have enough vertebrae. At least we are at the right end of the table this year.

Exactly what I think. Spot on. Had a hunch we would lose and concede 3 or 4 today. They have some great creative players. And this team can't cope with decent attacking players. There isn't that quality in the backline, and there are no leaders.

Cairney and Fredericks are great players but they both have a tendency to let their heads drop

hopper

Players like Hughes and Hangeland could deal with world class attacking talent on their day. We came up against very high level talent in Costa today and were badly exposed.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: hopper on March 18, 2017, 05:59:15 PM
Players like Hughes and Hangeland could deal with world class attacking talent on their day. We came up against very high level talent in Costa today and were badly exposed.

Absolutely right, and about our lack of leadership as well.

Never forget your Roots.