1 - 1 Nottm Forest
Rotherham
0 - 1 Fulham
Wolves
3 - 1 Cardiff
Reading
1 - 0 Leeds

WhiteJC

Rotherham United 0-1 Fulham: Player ratings as Kevin McDonald and Scott Malone shine at the New York
A Sone Aluko goal in the second half was enough to see Fulham grab three points and relegate Rotherham

Sone Aluko ensured Fulham came home with all three points from the New York as they beat Rotherham 1-0, relegating the side to League One in the process.

Slavisa Jokanovic opted to make three changes for this tie after the international break, with Michael Madl, Chirs Martin and Scott Malone coming into the line-up in place of Tim Ream, Floyd Ayite and Ryan Sessegnon.

The first half was anything but a classic with very little chances to speak of for both sides, the nearest anyone came to scoring was when Lee Frecklington tried to curl one into the top corner midway through, but David Button's fingertip save denied the Rotherham captain.

Chris Martin has a glorious chance to score when Tom Cairney broke the offside trap to square the ball to the striker, but he fluffed his lines and missed the ball completely.

But it was Aluko who got the goal after an almighty game of pinball in the box with the forward prodding home from within the six yard box to give Fulham the lead.

Button 7: Pulled off a fantastic fingertip save in the first half to deny a certain goal

Fredericks 7: Had a good game and made a game saving block in the 81st minute to deny a Rotherham equaliser. Was a threat going forward.

Malone 8: Had another very good at left back and was one of the best performers on the pitch. Cause problems going forward and was extremely comfortable in defence

McDonald 8: Another who I thought stood out in this game - he anchored the midfield superbly and his distribution was fantastic.

Kebano 6: Didn't have too much of an impact on the game before being subbed in the 63rd minute for Ayite. He didn't receive enough of the ball to cause the back four of the hosts any problems.

Cairney 7: Quiet by his standards but grew into the game more in the second half. Once again Rotherham tried to crowd out the midfielder but he was still able to find space to create and make things tick.

Johansen 6: A quiet game from the Norwegian today but he was on hand to clear up on defensive duty and played a part in the Fulham goal.

Madl 7: A solid return to the starting XI. We didn't see much of him but that is a good thing when you're a defender.

Aluko 7: Scored Fulham's opener to settle the nerves of the travelling fans. Did a few nice tricks and was a threat down the wing.

Martin 6: Missed an absolute sitter in the second half and struggled to make an impact on the game during the first 45.

Kalas 6: A quiet game like his centre back partner but did what needed to be do well - looked assured with Madl beside him.

Subs:

Ayite 6: Didn't have much of an impact on the game when he came on to replace Kebano, but was involved in the pinball for the goal.

Sessegnon N/A: Only played for the last couple of minutes so can't be rated.

Ream N/A: Also only played a minute when he replaced Malone.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/rotherham-united-0-1-fulham-12830051

WhiteJC

Rotherham United 0 Fulham 1: Relegation is my fault, accepts Paul Warne

Rotherham interim boss Paul Warne says he is to blame for the club's relegation from the Sky Bet Championship....

The Millers' drop to League One, which has been on the cards for several months, was confirmed after Sone Aluko's goal ensured they were beaten 1-0 by Fulham - their 30th loss of a harrowing season that saw managers Alan Stubbs and Kenny Jackett depart before Christmas. Warne inherited a tough situation with a squad clearly lacking quality to compete in the second tier, and was unable to arrest the slide as they became the first club in the country to be relegated. Despite the drop into the third tier, Warne remains a contender to take the job on a permanent basis and an announcement could come as soon as next week. "There's a little bit of embarrassment. I took the reins a few months ago and I haven't been good enough to get the results to keep us up and that is on my head," Warne said. "The performances have been okay at times but we haven't got that strength in depth. But that's my fault, it's not anyone else's. "I don't think anyone thought before today that we would stay up, we weren't going to win eight on the spin. So to have relegated next to our name isn't too much of a shock. "Other people have inherited similar situations and done better, I am the one who takes it home and doesn't sleep. I take that blame.

"In my eyes I have done the best that I could but other people might disagree." For Fulham, their prospects of leaving the division at the other end were enhanced as they finally moved into the top six. In their last two games the Cottagers have missed the opportunity to take advantage of Sheffield Wednesday dropping points. They had the perfect incentive on Saturday as the Owls were held to a late draw at Barnsley in the lunchtime kick-off, and this time there was no mistake as Aluko's close-range finish in the 66th minute was enough for the three points which takes them into the play-off spots.

Boss Slavisa Jokanovic said: "It is a great step for us towards where we want to be. "It was a very tough game. I am pleased because I have missed some 1-0 wins, so to get the goal and then finish with a clean sheet is pleasing and it is important news for us. "We tried to be focused on our job and thinking about what we can do. "We weren't thinking about Sheffield Wednesday or about other teams. Our focus is on us in this crucial part of the competition and getting as many points as is possible for us." Rotherham: Price, Vaulks, Ajayi, Belaid, Fisher, Taylor, Smallwood, Frecklington, Newell, Ward, Morris. Subs: Kelly, Wood, Forde, O'Donnell, Bray, Purrington, Yates.

Fulham: Button, Fredericks, Kalas, Madl, Malone, McDonald, Johansen, Aluko, Cairney, Kebano, Martin. Subs: Bettinelli, Cyriac, Ayite, Ream, Sigurdsson, Sessegnon, Petsos. Referee: Tim Robinson (West Sussex)

Read more at: http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/rotherham-united/rotherham-united-0-fulham-1-relegation-is-my-fault-accepts-paul-warne-1-8470635

WhiteJC

In-form Derby striker is gunning for Fulham

Derby County striker Matej Vydra says that he has is enjoying football again under new Rams boss Gary Rowett.

Vydra scored his second goal in as many games as Derby beat Queens Park Rangers 1-0 on Friday night.

Rowett's side are back in Championship action on Tuesday night as Fulham visit Pride Park Stadium (7.45pm) and the Czech international will be hoping to build on his fine form of late.

"I have confidence," Vydra told Rams TV.

"A few months ago, it wasn't my football. Right now, I'm enjoying the sessions, enjoying the games.

"It's something different with Gary. He tries to show his kind of football, which we saw in the second half against Nottingham Forest.

"We lost a couple of games under Steve McClaren and now we want to return to winning every game which will give us the confidence for next season.

"Every game is tough in this competition. Everyone wants to win but we have to focus on our own football."

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/in-form-derby-striker-is-gunning-for-fulham/story-30242988-detail/story.html#Uxo7lr9HxI9mXMqt.99

WhiteJC

Head Coach Reaction

Slaviša Jokanović was pleased to see his Fulham side make the step up into the Play-Off places after their 1-0 win at Rotherham United.

The Whites missed chances before the international period to break the top-six, but Sone Aluko's strike saw them do just that on Saturday afternoon.

"It's a great step for us, after a very tough game," Jokanović stated. "We knew we'd have to concentrate to score the goal and finish the game without making too many mistakes.

"I've said before that I miss 1-0 victories, and we scored one goal and finished the game with a clean sheet. In the end we found this kind of situation, and this is good news for us."

Sheffield Wednesday's failure to win in the early kick-off meant Fulham knew three points would move them into the Play-Offs, but Jokanović insisted he's not thinking about the sides around us.

"We tried to be focused on our job and thinking about what we can do in this competition," he explained. "We weren't thinking about Sheffield Wednesday, about teams in front or behind us.

"It's simple, we tried to focus on our job and try to find our best performance, especially in what is a crucial part of the competition. We must be focused and concentrate on not making mistakes, and try to win as many points as possible."

Rotherham needed to win to stave off confirmation of their relegation, and Jokanović praised Paul Warne's side after they pushed Fulham all the way.

"Their supporters can be proud," he said. "They are relegated but the team showed organisation and desire. They fought very well.

"We knew this team's strength was set-pieces, and sometimes long ball and second phase. We were going to be really focused and concentrated on not making mistakes.

"Rotherham is now in League One but somebody is going to lose some points in this stadium, I am 100 per cent sure."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/april/01/rotherham-head-coach-reaction

WhiteJC

Rotherham 0-1 Fulham: The Millers relegated to League One after a Sone Aluko strike seals their fate and moves Cottagers into play-off places

Rotherham have struggled all season having won just four games in 39 games
    Sone Aluko scored in the second half and confirmed Rotherham's fate
    The three points moved Fulham up to the Championship play-off positions

Rotherham were finally put out of their misery and became the first side in the country to be relegated this term after a 1-0 loss to Fulham at New York Stadium.

With just four wins all season, the writing has been on the wall for a long time, but Sone Aluko's second-half goal was enough to confirm the Millers' return to League One.

It was a 30th defeat of a miserable campaign and, with six games left, Rotherham look certain to break the Football League record of 34 for the most losses in a season.

Fulham's players celebrate after Sone Aluko's goal put his side in front at Rotherham

Aluko wheels away after putting the ball past the Rotherham goalkeeper Lewis Price

The three points did wonders for Fulham's hopes of leaving the division at the other end as they moved into the play-off positions and their top-six aspirations are now in their own hands.

They were boosted just before kick-off by news from 15 miles up the M1 that Sheffield Wednesday had only drawn at Barnsley, so they knew a win would send them above the Owls.

But it was Rotherham, perhaps playing with a freedom of a condemned team, that had the better openings in the first 15 minutes, the best of which came with less than two minutes on the clock.

Rotherham did have chances but showed why they will be in League One next season

Ryan Fredericks tries to take the ball past Rotherham's Jerry Yates on Saturday afternoon

A sweeping move from right to left saw Joe Newell send in an inviting cross for an unmarked Danny Ward, who put his header from eight yards just wide when he should have buried it.

Lee Frecklington also went close for the Millers as he forced David Button into a flying save from a curling 25-yard effort.

Fulham settled and had enjoyed 71 per cent of possession by half-time, though they had nothing in terms of clear chances. Their best moment fell to Aluko but he dragged a shot wide from the edge of the area.

The chance they had been waiting for came just eight minutes after the restart, though Chris Martin fluffed his lines. A lightning quick break saw them get in behind the Millers and Tom Cairney set up Martin with a perfect pass across goal but the striker failed to connect and the moment was gone.

They nearly paid as seconds later Rotherham should have gone ahead when Newell broke through and squared for Jon Taylor, but he poked straight at Button from inside the six-yard box.

Aluko's goal sealed Rotherham's fate but moved Fulham into the play-off places

Aluko is replaced by talented youngster Ryan Sessegnon as Fulham aim to defend their lead

The Cottagers' threat on the break eventually told as they went ahead midway through the second half.

They had three opportunities to get the ball in the net but Darnell Fisher and goalkeeper Lewis Price produced brave blocks before Aluko poked home from a yard out.

Fulham's keep-ball ability and constant threat on the counter-attack made it difficult for Rotherham to muster any sort of response. They had a decent half-chance but Ward saw his shot blocked when he might have done better.

Even if the Millers had produced a miraculous turnaround, their fate would still have been sealed by results elsewhere and they can now prepare for League One.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4371346/Rotherham-0-1-Fulham-Millers-relegated-League-One.html#ixzz4d4kvlCx6
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Championship: Fulham sneak into top six - and relegate Rotherham

Sone Aluko scored the only goal of the game as Fulham beat Rotherham United and sneaked into the play-off places.

The 1-0 win for the London side, who visit Pride Park Stadium on Tuesday evening, means that Rotherham are relegated to League One - and Fulham go a point ahead of Sheffield Wednesday.

Norwich City were beaten 2-0 by Aston Villa. Jonathan Kodjia netted twice for the home side against the 10-man Canaries, who had Ivo Pinto sent off for a second yellow card following a foul on Jordan Amavi.

Preston North End were held to a 1-1 draw by Nottingham Forest at Deepdale.

Britt Assombalonga raced on to Zach Clough's pass to put Forest ahead with his 10th goal of the season.

Aidan McGeady levelled for the hosts, placing a shot into the bottom corner after he was teed up by Callum Robinson.

Substitute Jackson Irvine scored a late, late goal as Burton Albion boosted their chances of staying in the Championship with victory over Huddersfield Town.

Birmingham City, who host Gary Rowett's Derby County next Saturday, were held to a 1-1 draw by Ipswich Town while Brentford eased past Bristol City 2-0.

Glen Murray scored his 19th goal of the season as Brighton beat relegation-threatened Blackburn Rovers.

And leaders Newcastle took maximum points against Wigan Athletic, thanks to goals from Dwight Gayle and Matt Ritchie. Michael Jacobs replied for the Latics.

Captain Danny Batth bagged a brace for Wolverhampton Wanderers, who beat Cardiff City 3-1. Helda Costa added a third with Kenneth Zohore on target for the Bluebirds.

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/championship-fulham-sneak-into-top-six-and-relegate-rotherham/story-30243125-detail/story.html#88lyMpyZ8IIkqXMF.99

WhiteJC

Rotherham United 0 - 1 Fulham

Sone Aluko's second half finish was enough to give play-off hopefuls Fulham three points

Rotherham became the first side in the top six tiers of English football to be relegated this season as a home Championship defeat by Fulham condemned them to the drop.

Sone Aluko poked home the only goal of the game to lift the Cottagers into the play-off places.

The scrambled finish ended Rotherham's three-season stay in the second-tier.

Fulham keeper David Button had earlier denied Lee Frecklington and Jon Taylor, while Danny Ward also went close.

Ward wasted the best chance of the first half, sending a free header wide, while Taylor was foiled moments after Chris Martin wasted Fulham's first real chance.

The goal which inflicted an eighth straight defeat on Rotherham, and sent them down, was an untidy one, with defender Darnell Fisher and goalkeeper Lewis Price initially blocking efforts before Aluko finished from close range.

Fulham's first win in three games was enough to move them above Sheffield Wednesday after the Owls were held to a 1-1 draw against Barnsley earlier in the day.

Rock bottom for six months
Since a 2-1 defeat by Yorkshire rivals Huddersfield on 27 September, Rotherham have been bottom of the Championship.

In total, the Millers have spent just 26 days of the 239 this season outside the relegation places.

Caretaker boss Paul Warne was the man to oversee relegation, having taken charge of the club in November after Kenny Jackett - who succeeded Alan Stubbs - resigned after just 39 days at the helm.

Rotherham interim boss Paul Warne: "There's a little bit of embarrassment. I took the reins a few months ago and I haven't been good enough to get the results to keep us up and that is on my head.

"The performances have been okay at times but we haven't got that strength in depth. But that's my fault, it's not anyone else's.

"I don't think anyone thought before today that we would stay up, we weren't going to win eight on the spin. So to have relegated next to our name isn't too much of a shock."

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic: "It is a great step for us towards where we want to be.

"It was a very tough game. I am pleased because I have missed some 1-0 wins, so to get the goal and then finish with a clean sheet is pleasing and it is important news for us.

"We tried to be focused on our job and thinking about what we can do.

"We weren't thinking about Sheffield Wednesday or about other teams. Our focus is on us in this crucial part of the competition and getting as many points as is possible for us."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39388860

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic glad Fulham finally won by a 1-0 scoreline after Rotherham victory
Sone Aluko's goal gave Fulham victory which has seen them rise into the play-off places while also relegating Rotherham at the New York stadium

Slavisa Jokanovic is pleased that his Fulham side finally won by a 1-0 scoreline, something they achieved at Rotherham thanks to a Sone Aluko goal.

That victory has seen Fulham rise into the play-offs after Sheffield Wednesday drew 1-1 with Barnsley earlier in the day, but it wasn't easy for Jokanovic's side.

Rotherham frustrated the Cottagers before Aluko managed to get the only goal in the tie in the middle of the second half, but the Millers had the chances to win the game themselves.

But Jokanovic is pleased his side got the result, saying: "It's a great step for us, after a very tough game.

"We knew we'd have to concentrate to score the goal and finish the game without making too many mistakes.

"I've said before that I miss 1-0 victories, and we scored one goal and finished the game with a clean sheet. In the end we found this kind of situation, and this is good news for us.

"We tried to be focused on our job and thinking about what we can do in this competition," he explained. "We weren't thinking about Sheffield Wednesday, about teams in front or behind us.

"It's simple, we tried to focus on our job and try to find our best performance, especially in what is a crucial part of the competition. We must be focused and concentrate on not making mistakes, and try to win as many points as possible."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/slavisa-jokanovic-glad-fulham-finally-12831723

WhiteJC

'A joke all season' – Rotherham fans react to relegation following defeat to Fulham

Rotherham United finally learned their fate for next season with a defeat at home to play-off chasers Fulham to confirm relegation to League One following three years in the Championship.

The Millers should have been ahead before the break; a free header from Danny Ward and Jon Taylor both had good opportunities to put their team ahead and moments after that Fulham forward Chris Martin wasted a chance of his own.

Sone Aluko got the only goal of the game midway through the second-half after a chaotic box finally ended with the attacker hitting the net from very close range to ensure three points went back to London for the Cottagers.

The defeat was Rotherham's eight successive loss and sit bottom of the table on 17 points, but now know that the New York Stadium will be hosting League One football for the 2017/18 campaign.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/a-joke-all-season-rotherham-fans-react-to-relegation-following-defeat-to-fulham/

WhiteJC

Sheffield Wednesday fans fearful that play-offs will pass them by

Sheffield Wednesday's hopes of reaching the Championship play-offs took a massive blow on Saturday after they were leapfrogged by Fulham.

Dropping points away to Barnsley, that poor result was compounded as the London side picked up all three points away to Rotherham United.

Fulham are now a point ahead of Wednesday, with a vastly superior goal difference. Given there's only 7 games remaining between now and the end of the season, fans are now very worried their season has comes off the rails.

It was all going so well for Carlos Carvalhal's team, who took the lead at Barnsley just after half-time thanks to Sam Winnall. However, an injury time leveller from Angus MacDonald delivered a hammer blow that left the travelling support gutted.

They now have a massive two weeks ahead with a trip to Rotherham on the cards before hosting Newcastle and Cardiff in successive weekends.

Can they rally and get back in front of Fulham or is their play-off dream dying?

https://www.footballfancast.com/social-media/twitter/sheffield-wednesday-fans-fearful-that-play-offs-will-pass-them-by

WhiteJC

Jokanovic plays down Fulham's rise to the top six

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic played down the significance of his side's climb into the play-off places after their 1-0 win at Rotherham.

Sone Aluko's second-half goal took the Whites above Sheffield Wednesday up to sixth in the Championship table.

But Jokanovic said: "We're not in the play-offs. I hope we're going to be in the play-offs in May.

"We are now in the top six but we will not be given any trophy for this and we are not yet fighting in the Premier League. The job is done for today but we must be focused."

The result confirmed Rotherham's relegation from the Championship but they made Fulham battle for the points.

"It was a very tough game and they pressed us very strongly. It was a very dangerous game for us," Jokanovic admitted.

"We didn't show our best performance but we had enough concentration and finished with a clean sheet."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/jokanovic-plays-fulhams-rise-top-six

WhiteJC

Rotherham 0-1 Fulham: Whites prove they can win ugly and other talking points
Today proved that Fulham have the ability to play some stunning football, but also get the points when it matters the most

Fulham finally got the 1-0 victory that manager Slavisa Jokanovic was so desperate for as a Sone Aluko goal ensured they replaced Sheffield Wednesday in the play-offs places.

It wasn't easy for Jokanovic's side however as Rotherham, who were relegated with the result, were competitive in the middle of the midfield and didn't allow Fulham to play their usual passing style of football.

But sides who want to play in the Premier League need to be able to grind out positive results and Jokanovic was obviously delighted after the game at the way his side managed to get the three points in Yorkshire.

Here's what we learned from the win at Rotherham.

Fulham have the ability to win games ugly

Celebrations: Fulham celebrate Sone Aluko's opener (Photo: Bryn Lennon/Getty Images)

In the past, this game would've stumped Fulham.

Rotherham were compact and set up to frustrate the visitors and they managed that for just over an hour of the game before Aluko popped up in the box to poke the ball home after the ball pinballed in the box in between strikes from Tom Cairney and Stefan Johansen.

If a side wants to get out of a division such as the Championship they have to be able to win ugly -playing the brand of football that has become commonplace at the Cottage this year is all well and good but if the points don't come then it's no good.

Today proved that Fulham have the ability to play some stunning football, but also get the points when it matters the most.

It's Fulham's to lose now

Looking forward: Slavisa Jokanovic (Photo: Bryn Lennon/Getty Images)

That win today lifted Fulham above Sheffield Wednesday and it's theirs to lose now, but the players have the confidence now that they can really do this.

They've finally broken into the top six having thrown away two previous attempts at doing so and with Wednesday to come in the last game of the season the feeling around the dressing room is that this is theirs now.

If Fulham match Wednesday's results or better them, the play-offs is theirs but the feel good factor is sticking around the Cottage at the moment and it doesn't look like that will stop any time soon.

Defensive frailties are still there

Juggle: Aaron Wilbraham (L) is put under pressure by Michael Madl

Despite the result, Fulham's defensive frailties are still there for everyone to see – Rotherham should've put away at least one of their chances and if Fulham were playing a, with all due respect, better team they could've been in trouble.

Danny Ward should've scored in the first half when he sent his free header wide while a good David Button fingertip save denied Lee Frecklington.

There were a few nervy moments in the second half once the Cottagers had gone a goal up and these will need to be cut out should Fulham want to stay in these play-off places.

With Michael Madl playing his first game since Valentine's Day Jokanovic now has three centre backs to choose from to ensure Fulham are solid at the back.

Kevin McDonald was the lynchpin

Mac attack: Kevin McDonald challenges

McDonald was a colossus today, both in terms of getting Fulham going forward and in anchoring the midfield.

Today we saw the best of the Scot – his distribution was first class and his ball to Fredericks in the first half is a particular highlight from what was a very good game.

People will rave about Tom Cairney, and for good reason, but McDonald is the glue that holds the midfield together and the side would be a lot worse off without him.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rotherham-0-1-fulham-whites-12832159

WhiteJC

Aluko condemns Millers to take Fulham into the top six
by Dan on April 1, 2017

REPORT BY TOMMY LAWLESS

Sone Aluko's scrambled second half strike proved enough to consign Rotherham to relegation from the Championship as Fulham finally took advantage of a Sheffield Wednesday slip-up to move into the play-off positions. Paul Warne's side have long been beleaguered at the foot of the table so confirmation of their demotion was not a surprise – the finality of it will be tough to take for a proud man who was managing with a hand tied behind his back for much of season. Fulham were far from their best in Yorkshire, but Aluko's predatory instincts lifted the Whites into the top six for the time since September.

Rotherham, whose 2,000th home league fixture won't be looked upon with much fondness, began with a purpose after Warne opted to play a compact midfield four that initially befuddled Tom Cairney and Stefan Johansen in the middle for Fulham. But the home side failed to take advantage of catching Slavisa Jokanovic's side cold, with no greater culprit than Danny Ward, who should have found the net having got between Tomas Kalas and the recalled Michael Madl, to reach Joe Newell's devilish cross – but headed wide.

David Button's reflexes were tested by Lee Frecklington's long-ranger curler that looked destined for the top corner before the Fulham goalkeeper clawed it away to safety. Fulham saw plenty of the ball and stroked it around patiently, but struggled to create clear-cut openings as they sought to capitalise on Wednesday's failure to hold onto a narrow lead at Oakwell in the Yorkshire derby. Aluko skewed a hopeful effort wide from the edge of the box – and you could almost hear Jokanovic bellowing for more during the half-time team talk.

Fulham's Serbian head coach should have got his wish shortly after the break. A quick counter attack saw Neeskens Kebano fly down the left and, Cairney, cleverly drew the last defender, to present Chris Martin with the simplest of finishes, but the striker, who kept his composure with a vital finish for Scotland in midweek, falling to find a telling touch with the goal gaping.

The Millers might have made Martin pay a heavy price merely seconds afterwards when Jon Taylor stabbed his shot straight at a grateful Button after Newell had cut the ball back to the six-yard line. The game was becoming far more stretched – something that you felt would suit Fulham's penchant for lightening breaks under Jokanovic and so it proved.

The goal was a good old-fashioned scramble though – owing much more to sheer persistence than style. Scott Malone burst into the box but Stefan Johansen's shot was bravely blocked by Darnell Fisher and a Cairney effort ballooned up to Chris Martin, who flicked a header down. Substitute Floyd Ayite swung a boot at the loose ball only for his shot to bounce off goalkeeper Lewis Price, but Aluko did finally force home from barely two yards out. It was a horribly untidy goal – but that mattered little to the delirious 1,200 Fulham fans behind the goal

It was after Aluko's intervention that Fulham's comfort in possession came into its own, largely blunting the bottom side's spirited attempt to rescue something from the afternoon. Rotherham's revival bid was derailed by untimely injuries to Fisher and skipper Frecklington and when Ward appeared favourite to atone for his early miss, Ryan Fredericks arrived to block the shot on the stretch. The clearest chance came in stoppage time but it dropped to the wrong man in centre half Aymen Belaid as the Tunisian defender shot wildly over the bar.

This was from the sort of convincing performance Fulham might have wanted to turn in against a side that has long been marooned to the foot of the table, but in many ways the graft to grind out a narrow victory was impressive. It could indicate that Jokanovic's side are peaking at the right time – and Jokanovic and company will head to Derby on Tuesday in very good heart.

ROTHERHAM UNITED (4-4-2): Price, Vaulks, Fisher (Purrington 76), Ajayi, Belaid; Frecklington (Forde 76), Smallwood, Taylor, Newell; Ward, Morris. Subs (not used): O'Donnell, Kelly, Wood, Bray.

BOOKED: Purrington.

FULHAM (4-1-2-3): Button; Fredericks, Malone (Ream 90+4), Kalas, Madl; McDonald; Johansen, Cairney; Kebano (Ayite 63), Aluko (R. Sessegnon 90+2), Martin. Subs (not used): Bettinelli, Sigurdsson, Petsos, Cyriac.

BOOKED: Johansen.

GOAL: Aluko (66).

REFEREE: Tim Robinson (Sussex).

ATTENDANCE: 9,004.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/04/aluko-condemns-millers-to-take-fulham-into-the-top-six/

WhiteJC

Kevin McDonald believes Fulham need games like the Rotherham victory in order to gain promotion
Sone Aluko's goal sent Fulham into the play-offs but McDonald believes they struggled to play their normal brand of passing and fluid football

Kevin McDonald reckons Fulham need games like the 1-0 victory over Rotherham if they want to go the distance and get promoted this season.

The Millers made life for tough for Slavisa Jokanovic's side as they shut down the space on the New York stadium pitch while playing their own brand of long ball football.

It worked for them, until the 62nd minute when Sone Aluko prodded home the ball in front of the travelling Fulham faithful to send both the fans and the bench into raptures.

McDonald believes that although Fulham struggled to play their brand of football, playing games like this will help them on their road to promotion.

He said: "It was long overdue and we've had a couple of chances to get in there and we've done it after which, for me, was one of the toughest games of the season.

"We just edged it but they had a couple of chances but luckily enough we got the three points.

"I think the pitch wasn't ideal and it was really slow and bobbly and it was a game between two different types of teams - they want to play the long ball and they were good at it today, while we try to play football.

"That's us, we try to play football all the time and we really struggled to play it today and our pass completion rate was probably the lowest of the season today but sometimes to get promoted you need games like that where you fight for your lives and I felt we did that today.

"We went out for the warm up and there were rumours floating around that it was 1-1 and heard it was when we came back in and obviously it gives you an extra incentive but we knew we had to win regardless of their result so thank god we did."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kevin-mcdonald-believes-fulham-need-12831821

Bronaldinho

(Just this second gone live!)

Here's to you, Kevin McDonald!

After a couple of disappointing results against Wolves and Blackburn in recent weeks, Fulham managed to scrape all three points from yesterday's fixture against Rotherham.

While, it was sad to see Rotherham relegated due to our victory, Fulham couldn't afford to come home with anything less than three points, considering how tight it is between ourselves and Sheffield Wednesday heading into the final play-off position. With, Sheffield Wednesday only drawing to Barnsley in the 94th minute, Fulham had a chance to leap-frog and finish the weekend in the top six. Despite our game against Rotherham being quite the scrappy affair, teams that get promoted out of the Championship still manage to get results even when they are playing poorly, and yesterday Fulham managed to do just that.

Fair play to Rotherham, they were always going to get men behind the ball and that's something Fulham have struggled to break down and it's generally the reason why we've conceded the goals we have this season, due to being hit on the counter after struggling to break down the defence in the final third. But, nonetheless Fulham got the job done and seeing our club in the top six considering where we were just a year ago is simply mind blowing.

At the start of the season, I suggested that a top 10 or 12 finish would be an achievement considering the poor displays we have shown since being relegated from the Premier League. With another summer overhaul, new manager and ideas to implement, I expected us to be inconsistent, but massive congratulations to the managerial staff and the players for coming together this season and providing the fans with a team they can be proud of. With Fulham now playing an attractive brand of football and getting results, it's no surprise that our rise this season has been well-documented. Slavisa Jokanovic has managed to completely revolutionise the way we are playing, and has moulded together a squad that are all comfortable on the ball and are happy to be patient -even if I sometimes want us to play direct when things aren't going our way!

We've come such a long way in the space of the year and with Slav's future now secured, the future really is bright for Fulham once again, and I know I'm not the only one who feels like we finally have our Fulham back.

Throughout our achievements this season, it's no surprise our attackers have received a lot of praise and attention and rightly so. While, Tom Cairney, Sone Aluko or Stefan Johansen may be stand out candidates for our Player of the Season award, my Player of the Season so far has been summer signing, Kevin McDonald.

Now, I have to hold my hands up as I questioned his ability upon signing, but since day one I have been made to eat humble pie. McDonald is the architect of this side and is the reason why our attackers have the licence to roam and freedom to play the way they do. Not only does McDonald have an incredible understanding of the game and breaking down play, but the Scot's passing range is second to none. Having someone of his ability in the heart of the midfield is simply a joy to watch, and time after time this season he has been a wall in front of our back four and has dictated every game. Not only that, but even on some occasions the big Scot has been asked to fill in at centre-half and he effortlessly delivered.

After this seasons performances, it's no surprise the club pursued the midfielder for nearly 2 seasons before joining and it's incredible that the team at the top managed to secure his transfer for just £1.25m.

A midfield colossus, thank you Kevin McDonald.

To conclude, Fulham now face 7 cup finals before the end of the season, as they have to play the teams around them, including Huddersfield, Derby, Norwich City and Sheffield Wednesday. But on top of that, still have a tough game on the 17th April as they take on an in-form Aston Villa side. Despite a tough end to the season ahead of Jokanovic's squad, the win against Rotherham to place us in the top six will bring our confidence back and will hopefully provide the momentum needed to secure ourselves in the play-offs come May.

Keep believing.

Thank you for your ongoing support and feedback. Please don't hesitate to contact me on Twitter @ABronsSmith.

https://thecravencorner.wordpress.com/
@ABronsSmith

Author of 'The Craven Corner' blog - Hosted in the matchday programme, SB Nation & thecravencorner.wordpress.com

glenhodgso

Anyone else notice that these pictures are obviously not from Saturday's game - despite the captions....

Fake News arrives in West London !!!

Quote from: WhiteJC on April 02, 2017, 08:57:41 AM

Rotherham 0-1 Fulham: Whites prove they can win ugly and other talking points
Today proved that Fulham have the ability to play some stunning football, but also get the points when it matters the most

Fulham finally got the 1-0 victory that manager Slavisa Jokanovic was so desperate for as a Sone Aluko goal ensured they replaced Sheffield Wednesday in the play-offs places.

It wasn't easy for Jokanovic's side however as Rotherham, who were relegated with the result, were competitive in the middle of the midfield and didn't allow Fulham to play their usual passing style of football.

But sides who want to play in the Premier League need to be able to grind out positive results and Jokanovic was obviously delighted after the game at the way his side managed to get the three points in Yorkshire.

Here's what we learned from the win at Rotherham.

Fulham have the ability to win games ugly

Celebrations: Fulham celebrate Sone Aluko's opener (Photo: Bryn Lennon/Getty Images)

In the past, this game would've stumped Fulham.

Rotherham were compact and set up to frustrate the visitors and they managed that for just over an hour of the game before Aluko popped up in the box to poke the ball home after the ball pinballed in the box in between strikes from Tom Cairney and Stefan Johansen.

If a side wants to get out of a division such as the Championship they have to be able to win ugly -playing the brand of football that has become commonplace at the Cottage this year is all well and good but if the points don't come then it's no good.

Today proved that Fulham have the ability to play some stunning football, but also get the points when it matters the most.

It's Fulham's to lose now

Looking forward: Slavisa Jokanovic (Photo: Bryn Lennon/Getty Images)

That win today lifted Fulham above Sheffield Wednesday and it's theirs to lose now, but the players have the confidence now that they can really do this.

They've finally broken into the top six having thrown away two previous attempts at doing so and with Wednesday to come in the last game of the season the feeling around the dressing room is that this is theirs now.

If Fulham match Wednesday's results or better them, the play-offs is theirs but the feel good factor is sticking around the Cottage at the moment and it doesn't look like that will stop any time soon.

Defensive frailties are still there

Juggle: Aaron Wilbraham (L) is put under pressure by Michael Madl

Despite the result, Fulham's defensive frailties are still there for everyone to see – Rotherham should've put away at least one of their chances and if Fulham were playing a, with all due respect, better team they could've been in trouble.

Danny Ward should've scored in the first half when he sent his free header wide while a good David Button fingertip save denied Lee Frecklington.

There were a few nervy moments in the second half once the Cottagers had gone a goal up and these will need to be cut out should Fulham want to stay in these play-off places.

With Michael Madl playing his first game since Valentine's Day Jokanovic now has three centre backs to choose from to ensure Fulham are solid at the back.

Kevin McDonald was the lynchpin

Mac attack: Kevin McDonald challenges

McDonald was a colossus today, both in terms of getting Fulham going forward and in anchoring the midfield.

Today we saw the best of the Scot – his distribution was first class and his ball to Fredericks in the first half is a particular highlight from what was a very good game.

People will rave about Tom Cairney, and for good reason, but McDonald is the glue that holds the midfield together and the side would be a lot worse off without him.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rotherham-0-1-fulham-whites-12832159