more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (04/04/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 04, 2017, 06:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Three reasons Derby County's play-off dream will come to an end vs. Fulham

Derby County manager Gary Rowett will know that his side must take all three points to keep their play-off dream alive when they host sixth-placed Fulham on Tuesday night.

The 10th-placed Rams moved to within eight points of the top six with a 1-0 victory over Queens Park Rangers on Friday night, and they know that they could conceivably close that gap to just five points with victory at the Pride Park Stadium.

Of course, that would rely on an out-of-form Sheffield Wednesday – who are one point adrift of the Cottagers – slipping up at already-relegated Rotherham United too.

While Rowett's men will be in confident mood following their victory against QPR, Slavisa Jokanovic's side are certainly no pushovers themselves and they fully deserve their spot in the top six after some fantastic performances this season.

Here are three reasons Derby's play-off dream will come to a premature end against Fulham...

Their home record
While Derby have picked up some impressive wins at home against the likes of Leeds United, Reading and Sheffield Wednesday this season, they have also been beaten by Blackburn Rovers, and drawn against Burton Albion, Bristol City and Wigan Athletic.

While that may suggest that they up their game against the teams at the top, the Rams have failed to take all three points in 11 of their 20 Championship home games this season – that will be a worry for Gary Rowett going into this must-win match.

Fulham's away record
The Cottagers actually have a worse home record this season than their opponents on Tuesday night, and it is their form on the road that is currently helping them in their quest to snatch a play-off spot at the end of the campaign.

Only Championship leaders Newcastle United have picked up more points on their travels than Fulham's 33 this term, with Slavisa Jokanovic's men taking 10 points from the last 12 available away, including a brilliant 3-1 win at St James' Park.

Fulham's firepower
The Cottagers have become renowned as a side that can score bundles of goals in the Championship, but also tend to concede lots too.

While they have netted 67 this term – only leaders Newcastle United have scored more – their defensive record is slightly better this time around and that is the reason they find themselves in sixth spot.

With the likes of Sone Aluko, Tom Cairney and Ryan Sessegnon finding the net in recent weeks, there is plenty of Fulham firepower for Derby to be afraid of on Tuesday night.

https://www.footballfancast.com/image-gallery/three-reasons-derby-countys-play-off-dream-will-come-to-an-end-vs-fulham

WhiteJC

Fulham interested in National League side Chester FC defender
Scouts have been present at the side's games for several weeks with Fulham being extremely keen on the 19-year-old defender in the early stages of the season

Chester defender Sam Hughes win a header against Liverpool's Harry Wilson (Photo: Terry Marland)

Fulham are interested in Chester FC defender Sam Hughes.

The 19-year-old right back has been in stunning form for the National League side this season and is wanted by several Championship and Premier League clubs, and Slavisa Jokanovic's side are one of the forerunners for his signature, according to our friends at the Chester Chronicle .

Hughes, who is an academy graduate, is out of contract in the summer but has been offered a new deal by the club, although he looks set to leave in order to ply his trade further up the league pyramid.

Fulham have sent scouts to watch the young right back all season and were extremely keen on making him their man early on in the season, but interest has cooled slightly since the turn of the year.

That said, scouts have been present in recent weeks and were there to see him score the winner in a 1-0 victory at Torquay where his attacking mentality at fullback is exactly what the Cottagers want from their defenders.

As Hughes has been offered a new contract and he is under the age of 24, a fee would have to be agreed and if not, the deal would go to a tribunal.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fulham-interested-national-league-side-12840944

WhiteJC

Millers To Mount The Next Challenge

We've been saying it for quite some time but it's being proven that every game is crucial and for many tonight is the crux of that feeling. After the Wednesday swapped places with seventh placed Fulham on Saturday evening the test ahead of Carlos Carvalhal's men at the New York Stadium tonight could well prove to be.

Rotherham United lost their fight to stay in the Championship for the 2017/18 season when they lost to the aforementioned Cottagers last weekend and Wednesday need three points against their hosts tonight and hope that Derby County do the Owls a favour by not succumbing to Fulham and the game of musical chairs in the top six in the Championship will go on for another week.

The Owls are possibly in their worst slump in terms of points gained currently, we have taken just five points from a possible 21 and no matter how you spin that it's not good enough for a playoff chasing side. But despite the Millers now knowing that they'll be back in the third tier next season there's going to be no let up from Paul Warne's men. It's their derby day, the one they need to win and now the pressure is off we need to fear the wounded animal.

Owls News....
The Wednesday will be without the services of Almen Abdi and Sam Hutchinson tonight in Rotherham, the midfield pair are injured but with differing levels of severity. It's not really new news for some but Abdi is missing for the remainder of the season after having surgery but Hutchinson will have to at least sit out tonight following the reoccurrence of his recent injury which saw him leave the field at Oakwell on Saturday.

That would mean that David Jones will likely continue in the heart of the midfield against the Millers alongside Barry Bannan, the back four almost picks itself and we expect it to be similar to the weekend but up front it's anyone's guess if Sam Winnall and Jordan Rhodes will continue their partnership or the likes of Steven Fletcher, Gary Hooper or recent international goalscorer Atdhe Nuhiu will get a chance.

Carvalhal Comment....
The Wednesday Head coach spoke to the assembled press on Monday afternoon about the game at Rotherham and said that thingscan change very quickly in the Championship, and highlighted that a boost of some injured players potentially returning by the weekend, things could get very interesting.

"The teams up above us are not guaranteed the position and the teams that are below us are not out of the fight.

"I think we can achieve a better position if we go in good shape and recover players and start playing better football. If you don't start winning, of course, the teams below are not far away from us. But we are optimists and believe we can go up in the positions. This is our target.

"People ask me sometimes why we have changed a little the style of last season.

"When we look to the team of the final of the play-off, we have been a long time without Tom Lees, Ross Wallace, Kieran Lee, Sam Hutchinson, Fernando Forestieri and Gary Hooper.

"These players have been out a lot of time. With different players, you can't play the same football, even though they have quality.

"These are players that connect things, everyone knows Kieran Lee connects the midfield and attack, Gary Hooper links midfield and attack, Forestieri is a linker also and we need these specific points to play the football we like and the fans like.

"But when we miss these kind of links, we must change the face of the team and be more compact, more solid, more realistic and try to achieve points and win."

Millers News....
The home side are sweating on the fitness of Lee Frecklington ahead of kick off against the Owls tonight, he picked up an injury in the weekend defeat to Fulham and faces a late test. Also a doubt for the Millers is striker, Danny Ward, the player who was linked with a move to Hillsborough back in the transfer window also picked up a knock at the weekend and Tom Adeyemi is missing due to a calf problem.

One piece of good news for the home side is that Ban Purrington is expected to be fit to face the Wednesday and we could see former Owl, Joe Mattock, return to the starting line up for Rotherham after he recently sat out two games through suspension.

Millers Comment....
Rotherham's caretaker manager Paul Warne made so secret of his desire for the team to win against the Wednesday and he knows how much it means to everyone else too.

"They are good games to play in and I said to the lads if you score in these games you'll be a legend. I think for the sponsors and everyone involved in the club, a win is just a beautiful thing.

"I think when I came here as a player it was the same. It was a much bigger event than I remember and the grounds were fuller than normal games.

"I enjoyed playing in those games but I enjoyed them a lot more when we won. I enjoyed watching Darren Garner running the length of the pitch and I enjoyed Richie Barker living off that header for 15 years or whaetever it is."

"I think we're the underdogs going into the game but I've thrived off having a life of being underdogs and that's fine with us and I'll get the lads ready for it,"

Some Stats V Rotherham....
Tonight's game at the New York Stadium will be the 42nd time Wednesday have faced the Millers, and unsurpsingly it's the Owls who have the advantage in those clashes. 22 wins to 12 is the record in favour of Wednesday with seven games being drawn.

Wednesday have a very good recent record over Rotherham at their home, our of the last five games the Owls have won four of them and have only lost ONE of the last ten visits into this particular part of South Yorkshire in competitive games. That was the League Cup clash between the sides in August 2013 when the hosts won 2-1.

Goals. Expect them. It's 41 years since the Wednesday didn't score a goal when they played at the home of the Millers and there hasn't been a 0-0 draw in games between the sides in Rotehrham since the fourth meeting between the teams back in October 1921!!!

Last Time At S60 1AH....

Wednesday dominated the game and took three points with Fernando Forestieri in bullish mood as Carlos Carvalhal's men won 2-1...

Final Thoughts....
Yes, I was gutted at the weekend although the result was a fair one. Not because of dropping out of the top six alone, but mainly by again the failure to take the game by the scruff of the neck when things were going the way of the Wednesday. THAT has happened far too often this season, the inability to dominate, overpower and control things has arguably been the one thing which has meant the Owls sit outside the top six as things stand.

A game V Rotherham isn't a derby for me, although I lived just outside the boundaries of the town for quite some time. What matters to me is three points. We're almost desperate for them. When we thumped Norwich a month or so ago everyone was up for it, positivity flowed through the veins and now those arteries seem to have run dry. I'm beginning to sound like a broken record about each game being crucial but they are.

Stand up Wednesday, be counted, the fans are doing their bit.. It's over to you.

Prediction....

Rotherham 0 Wednesday 2.

https://owlsonline.com/?page=news&news_id=1758

WhiteJC

Derby County boss Gary Rowett ready for different challenge posed by Fulham

Gary Rowett says Derby County will have to be at their best to get a result against promotion hopefuls Fulham tonight (Tuesday).

The teams drew 2-2 at Craven Cottage in December and they meet again at Pride Park Stadium (kick off 7.45pm).

Fulham arrive occupy a top-six spot after winning at bottom club Rotherham on Saturday.

They have lost just one of their last 10 league games (six wins and three draws) and the gap between themselves and Derby is eight points with seven games to play.

Derby have collected four points from six under new manager Rowett, who is expecting a different test to the one the Rams faced in beating Queens Park Rangers on Friday night.

"It will be, and we'll see how we handle it," he said.

"Perhaps they (Fulham) will have less of a physical presence up front in terms of that first ball and so we might not have to screen quite as obviously as we did with (QPR striker) Matt Smith, which I thought Bradley Johnson did fantastically well.

"You have to block the middle of the pitch up because that is where Fulham want to get all of their bodies.

"They have always been a very good passing team, always very fluid in their approach, and they like to try and dominate possession of the ball.

"I think this season they have struck a better balance in terms of being a little bit more sound defensively because I think last seaosn they were the highest scorers and I think they conceded the most as well.

"No team can have that balance and get into the top six. I think they have struck a better balance in terms of attacking and defending.

"It will be a slightly different game but we are at home, we need to win games. It is pretty clear for us.

"Yes, we have to contain the opposition but our main aim is for the opposition to try and contain us, and that will be our main focus.

"We will have to be at our very best to get a result."

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-boss-gary-rowett-ready-for-different-challenge-posed-by-fulham/story-30246279-detail/story.html#ckUy4SbfRbSbAUMf.99

WhiteJC

Rowett Tells Rams 'No Point In Being Tentative'

Gary Rowett has challenged Derby County's players to back up their victory against Queens Park Rangers with an even better display when they face Fulham on home turf tonight (7:45pm kick-off).

The Rams will take on the Cottagers in their second home Sky Bet Championship fixture under the Pride Park Stadium floodlights inside five days.

Matěj Vydra's second-half strike secured a 1-0 victory against Ian Holloway's side on Friday to earn Rowett his first win as Derby's new boss.

The 43-year-old was impressed with his side's showing against the Hoops, but believes they will need to be even better this evening.

Fulham occupy the final play-off spot after they claimed a 1-0 success at bottom of the table Rotherham United on Saturday, leapfrogging Sheffield Wednesday into sixth place.

Rowett wants Derby to avoid being cautious in their approach as they look to dominate from the word go.

He told RamsTV: "It's important that we approach the game in the same way, but we're going to have to play better than we did on Friday.

"We will need to have to show the same energy and more, as well as take our chances when they come.

"It's a great challenge and we want to win every game we go in to. There's no point being tentative, we need to go and dominate games of football."

Discussing tonight's opponents, who he watched in action at Rotherham, Rowett added: "Fulham are a good team and we've seen them a few times.

"They have a style of play that is very fluid possession-based football, with some very good technical players in there.

"Away from home, and I watched them at Rotherham on Saturday, it allows them to sit in and break into those spaces without making a game."

Looking back on the win against Queens Park Rangers, Rowett felt the win was important for several reasons.

As well as being pleased to get three points on the board and secure his first win in charge, Rowett believes the victory was significant in backing up the messages that are being put across to his players.

Another key factor for the Derby boss was maintaining the positive feel-good factor around the club.

He said: "It was important to get that first win and it certainly adds extra credence in terms of the messages we're putting across to the players.

"It always backs things up nicely, like the way we're asking them to play, when you get a victory.

"It's good that they can see some value for what we're looking to do and it was also good for the crowd too.

"With a new manager comes a new start and a different feel to things.

"To get the win in the way that we did adds to the positive feeling that we've got so early in our tenure; it can only serve us well."

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/rowett-tells-rams-no-point-in-being-tentative-3655333.aspx#QGKvY7tA0uJtRVgV.99

WhiteJC

Derby vs Fulham: Team news and all you need to know ahead of the game at Pride Park
Fulham travel to Derby in the play-off places after their result at Rotherham on Saturday - here's all you need to know ahead of tonight's game

Fulham travel to Derby tonight buoyed by their recent breakthrough into the top six after victory at Rotherham on Saturday, but this won't be an easy test.

Gary Rowett's side still have hopes of a play-off finish themselves, despite being eight points adrift of Slavisa Jokanovic's side and will be hoping they can start clawing at the top six with a win tonight.

What's more is that Rowett has never lost to Fulham, winning twice and drawing a further two times, but the Cottagers are confident of their abilities having leapfrogged Sheffield Wednesday into the play-off places after they drew with Barnsley in the early kick off on Saturday.

A win tonight would really go a long way to boosting the confidence of the Fulham players just that little bit more as the Championship season winds down.

Here's all the key information ahead of the game.

When and where?
The game will be played at Pride Park in a 7.45pm kick off.

Team news
Derby: Rowett's side could be without both Bradley Johnson and Marcus Olsson after both sustained injuries in Friday night's 1-0 victory over QPR.

Fulham: The Cottagers will be without Chris Martin who cannot play against his parent club, while Scott Parker and Lucas Piazon both look set to miss out once again as they continue their recoveries.

Manager views
Gary Rowett : "They're a good team and we've seen them quite a few times, sometimes their style of play, which is a very fluid possession based football - great movement and some really good technical players.

"Away from home sometimes, we watched them at Rotherham on Saturday, it allows them to sit in and break out into various spaces without worrying too much about making the game so I think it's important we approach the game in exactly the same way.

"We're going to have to play better than we did on Friday night, we'll make that clear to the players and we're going to have to show the same energy and if not more, and take some of those chances."

Slavisa Jokanovic : "It is satisfying that we got this win to move us to where we want to be but we have seven games in front of us which we need to be fully focused and concentrated on.

"There are 21 points for us to win, and we must give our maximum every time to make sure we finish this regular season in sixth or higher."

Match stats
    Derby have lost only one of their last seven league encounters with Fulham (W2 D4).
    Fulham have only managed to win once in their last nine trips to Derby in league competition (D2 L6).
    Gary Rowett has never lost a league match as a manager against Fulham (W2 D2).
    No Championship team has taken more points in their last 10 matches than Fulham (21).

Fancy a flutter?
Match winner

Derby: 6/4

Draw: 12/5

Fulham: 17/10

First goal scorers

Derby: Thomas Ince 5/1, Darren Bent 11/2, Dave Nugent 6/1, Matej Vydra 7/1, Mason Bennett 8/1

Fulham: Sone Aluko 13/2, Gohi Cyriac 13/2, Tom Cairney 17/2, Floyd Ayite 17/2, Stefan Johansen 9/1

Match officials
Referee: Jeremy Simpson

Assistants: Tony Peart and Christopher Akers

Fourth official: Stephen Martin

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-vs-fulham-team-news-12841178

WhiteJC

Derby County must be on their guard against 'dangerous' Fulham

Derby County will have to be on their guard against a "dangerous" Fulham side, according to Rams defender Alex Pearce.

The Rams take on Slavisa Jokanovic's men at Pride Park Stadium on Tuesday night (7.45pm).

Fulham climbed into the Sky Bet Championship play-off zone at the weekend, after consigning rock-bottom Rotherham United to relegation with a 1-0 win at the New York Stadium.

Derby are eight points behind in 10th place, with seven fixtures of the campaign remaining.

They have a chance to cut the gap - but will be wary of the threat posed by their visitors.

Fulham have netted 67 goals in the Championship this season - 25 more than the Rams. Only leaders Newcastle (72) have scored more.

The West London outfit also have the third best goal difference in the division - plus-20, compared with Derby's plus-four.

When the sides met at Craven Cottage in mid-December, Pearce's 75th-minute header earned the Rams a 2-2 draw.

"They are a very good team and I was very impressed with them when we played them at their place," said the centre-back.

"I thought they were probably one of the better sides we have played this season, for sure.

"They are very dangerous in an attacking sense. They get a lot of men forward and pass the ball very quickly, with high tempo.

"So we are going to have to be on our guard against them.

"But I also think that anyone coming to our home ground will be in for a tough game.

"We will be looking to impose ourselves on the game and, hopefully, get the three points."

If results go their way, the Rams could be only five points off a top-six spot by the end of Tuesday night - but Pearce is not thinking about that.

"We just look at this as the next game," he said.

"We had a good result against QPR on Friday night. We did what we needed to do and it's a case of going out there and doing exactly the same.

"They are where they are in the table and we are where we are. I'll let you guys speculate about what happens if we win this, or lose, or whatever.

"It's down to us as players to go out and be professional, and do the job."

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-must-be-on-their-guard-against-dangerous-fulham/story-30245798-detail/story.html#wqdHklmg3WVyp4eH.99

WhiteJC

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic believes they will beat Derby County

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic is fully confident his team will take three points from Derby County.

The West Londoners make the trip to Pride Park Stadium on the back of a 1-0 victory at Rotherham United.

That result, coupled with Sheffield Wednesday's draw at Barnsley, moved Fulham into the play-off spots.

But Derby are unbeaten in the two games since manager Gary Rowett has been at the helm and would move just five points behind their opponents with a victory.

The pair drew 2-2 at Craven Cottage in December, with Alex Pearce's late header earning a point for the Rams.

Tom Ince had given Derby a first-half lead only for Floyd Ayite and Stefan Johansen to turn it round.

"When we played them at our home earlier in the season, we paid an expensive price for some mistakes," Jokanovic told fulhamfc.com.

"Now they have a different manager who has had some positive results in his first games, so my players know what to expect.

"But every match until the end of the season will be difficult.

"Derby has some quality players, but we do too and I am full on confidence that my team can get us another three points from this game that is immediately in front of us."

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/fulham-manager-slavisa-jokanovic-believes-his-side-will-beat-derby-county-at-pride-park-stadium/story-30247811-detail/story.html#vZgj1XFpROsC85SF.99

WhiteJC

Can Chris Martin play against Derby County for Fulham tonight?

Derby County striker Chris Martin will not be facing his parent club this evening (Tuesday).

Martin is currently on loan at Fulham, who take on the Rams at Pride Park Stadium in the Sky Bet Championship (7.45pm).

However, the Scotland international is not eligible to play in the match under the terms of his loan deal.

The same applied when the sides met earlier this season, when Derby claimed a 2-2 draw at Craven Cottage.

Martin has scored 11 goals in 29 appearances for Fulham since joining them on transfer deadline day in August.

He is expected to return to the Rams next season, having recently signed a new long-term contract.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/can-chris-martin-play-against-derby-county-for-fulham-tonight/story-30246357-detail/story.html

WhiteJC

Opposition: We Need To Be At Our Maximum

After breaking into the play-offs, Slaviša Jokanović has warned that Fulham need to be at their maximum every week if they are to maintain their position – starting tonight against Derby County.

The Cottagers broke into the Sky Bet Championship's top six as they made the most of Sheffield Wednesday's 1-1 draw with Yorkshire rivals Barnsley by beating Rotherham United 1-0 at the weekend.

Jokanović, the Fulham head coach, is far from getting carried away. He told Fulham's website: "It is satisfying that we got this win to move us to where we want to be, but we have seven games in front of us which we need to be fully focused and concentrated on.

"There are 21 points for us to win, and we must give our maximum every time to make sure we finish this regular season in sixth or higher."

Pride Park is their next destination on Tuesday evening (kick-off: 7:45pm) and Jokanović says he and his players are fully aware of what they should expect from a Derby side enjoying an upturn in fortunes.

In Gary Rowett's first two games in charge, the Rams have drawn 2-2 with Nottingham Forest, whilst Matěj Vydra's goal was enough for them to overcome Queens Park Rangers last Friday.

Looking ahead to tonight's latest Championship outing, Jokanović added: "When we played them at our home earlier in the season, we paid an expensive price for some mistakes.

"We drew a game which we should have won.

"Now they have a different manager who has had some positive results in his first games, so my players know what to expect. But every match until the end of the season will be difficult.

Derby has some quality players, but we do too and I am full of confidence that my team can get us another three points from this game that is immediately in front of us."

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/opposition-we-need-to-be-at-our-maximum-3657525.aspx

WhiteJC

PCUK Awareness Fixture

Saturday's match against Ipswich Town at Craven Cottage has been designated as Fulham's 2016/17 Prostate Cancer UK awareness and fundraising fixture.

Members of the Fulham2Amsterdam team, who are cycling to the Dutch capital in the summer, will be putting in the miles on exercise bikes outside the ground prior to kick-off, so please give generously if you spot a Whites fan in their FFC Prostate Cancer UK training gear!

Whatever money is raised on Saturday will be matched by both Fulham Football Club and the Jacksonville Jaguars, so many thanks to both for their generosity!

Any change you can spare would be hugely appreciated, but if you aren't one for carrying loose money around you can still donate to this worthy cause through our text service. Simply text FULH99 and the amount (£1-5) you would like to donate to 70070. See picture for an example.

Half-time on Saturday will see Sean Davis and members of the Fulham2Amsterdam team take to the pitch to take part in further fundraising activities, and discuss with Ivan the importance of raising money for Prostate Cancer UK.

Sean is leading the Fulham team of riders cycling the 145 miles to Amsterdam from East London in June, and you can help them reach their £10k target by donating here: justgiving.com/fulham2amsterdam.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/april/04/pcuk-awareness-fixture

WhiteJC

Grant: Learning Curve

The PL2 continues on Monday with the Under-23s away at Newcastle United. It's a race to the Play-Offs now with three games left, and in second Fulham are looking to finish with a flurry and secure a home tie.

The players will have gone three weeks without a match, and last time out somehow lost on penalties after the game dramatically finished 5-5 against Norwich City in the last-16 of the PL Cup.

"It's impossible to score five goals away from home and not win the game," reflected Head Coach Peter Grant. "The goals we lost, every single one of them was down to our own ineptitude.

"We tried to play out from the back, people make errors, we understand that, but there's also a period in the game when you've scored a few minutes from full-time and extra-time to go through and all of a sudden you end up losing a goal again.

"I thought that in the first half we were ordinary, we went 2-0 up without doing anything really and it could have been more, and then all of a sudden we find ourselves 3-2 down."

He continued: "So the first half I was very disappointed in but the second half we adjusted a little bit. We changed the shape of the team a little bit and the personnel, and then I think we played really well from then on.

"We knocked the ball about well, we created chances, we defended better, and we did that because we used the ball better, we didn't turn the ball over as often so that was pleasing. But to concede the goals we did was very, very disappointing.

"It was even more galling in the respect that there was not one goal where we got carved open or any good play from Norwich, it was just bad play from us in the wrong areas of the pitch so, we got punished for it and you've got to give Norwich credit for that, but it was a big, big disappointment for us."

Asked whether a defeat in this manner was good experience towards the players' development, Grant responded: "It's good for them in the respect of the pressure of taking penalty kicks. If we are going to miss them I don't mind, like Foday Nabay's hitting the bar.

"Hopefully it's an experience they will never want to go through again because no matter how long they're in football it's still very galling coming away from a game like that.

"I must admit it took me a few days to get over it and the disappointment that we lost five goals more than anything else. We had to work hard for every goal we scored and every goal Norwich scored we gave them.

"In possession of ball, especially in the second half onwards we were very much in control but when the ball turned over we gave too many chances away in stupid areas and we paid the ultimate price for it.

"I expected us to go there and win the game and unfortunately that wasn't the case. Hopefully we do learn from it, and we don't want to feel again like we did after that particular performance."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/april/04/grant-learning-curve

WhiteJC

Derby boss talks about the different challenge ahead of play-off six pointer

The Derby Telegraph are reporting that Gary Rowett is aware of the different challenge that Fulham will pose tonight.

After Rowett's side narrowly beat a physical Queens Park Rangers team 1-0 last Friday, Rowett believes that the approach against Fulham will be completely different.

The Derby boss explained that Fulham like to crowd the middle of the pitch and play fluid football.

The former Birmingham manager also praised Jokanovic's defensive improvements, saying that Fulham were much better balanced this season with their defensive solidity.

On tonight's opposition, Rowett said:

"Perhaps they will have less of a physical presence up front in terms of that first ball and so we might not have to screen quite as obviously as we did with Matt Smith, which I thought Bradley Johnson did fantastically well.

"You have to block the middle of the pitch up because that is where Fulham want to get all of their bodies.

"They have always been a very good passing team, always very fluid in their approach, and they like to try and dominate possession of the ball."

This game is also vitally important for Derby County in their hunt for the play-off spots.

With Fulham currently occupying sixth spot, they are the target for the Rams to catch.

Derby are currently eight behind with seven games to play but they could narrow that gap to five points with a win.

However, a loss and Derby's play-off hopes will be all but over, with eleven points separating them from the top six.

Talking about the magnitude of tonight's game, Rowett added:

"It will be a slightly different game but we are at home, we need to win games.

"It is pretty clear for us.

"Yes, we have to contain the opposition but our main aim is for the opposition to try and contain us, and that will be our main focus.

"We will have to be at our very best to get a result."

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/derby-boss-talks-about-the-different-challenge-ahead-of-play-off-six-pointer/

WhiteJC

This is the team Fulham fans want to see Slavisa Jokanovic name at Derby County
The Scotland international, who courted controversy earlier this season, is ineligible to face the Rams, due to the terms of his loan agreement

Fulham fans want to see Gohi Cyriac replace the ineligible Chris Martin in the Whites' starting line-up at Derby.

The Scotland international, who courted controversy earlier this season, is ineligible to face the Rams, due to the terms of his loan agreement.

Fulham ground out a win at Rotherham on Saturday with a strong defensive performance as the Millers were relegated.

Scott Malone keeps his place at left back with wonderkid Ryan Sessegnon left out of the side.

Choice: Team to face Derby

Michael Madl is retained in the Fulham line-up and he partners Tomas Kalas in the centre of the Whites' defence, while Stefan Johansen, Kevin McDonald and Tom Cairney will look to run the show in the middle.

The trip to Derby is Fulham's second venture up north this week and they are back in action at Craven Cottage on Saturday when they take on Ipswich Town.

Fulham: Button, Fredericks, Kalas, Madl, Malone, Johansen, McDonald, Cairney, Aluko, Cyriac, Ayite.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/team-fulham-fans-want-see-12843512

WhiteJC

Jokanovic is not getting carried away

Fulham Coach Slavisa Jokanovic is not getting carried away by Fulham's place in the top-six, ahead of another crucial match on Tuesday night.

Victory at the weekend, coupled with Sheffield Wednesday's dropped points, moved the Whites into the Play-Off spots, but Jokanovic knows our final standing on May 7th is the only one that matters.

"It is satisfying that we got this win to move us to where we want to be," he said, "but we have seven games in front of us which we need to be fully focused and concentrated on.

Derby County provide a second away test in four days when Fulham travel to Pride Park on Tuesday, and Jokanovic knows his side will need to be at their best to bring the points back to London.

"When we played them at our home earlier in the season, we paid an expensive price for some mistakes," he explained. "We drew a game which we should have won.

"Now they have a different manager who has had some positive results in his first games, so my players know what to expect. But every match until the end of the season will be difficult.

"Derby has some quality players, but we do too and I am full of confidence that my team can get us another three points from this game that is immediately in front of us."

http://www.fulhamweb.co.uk/news/jokanovic-is-not-getting-carried-away.aspx

WhiteJC

Derby County v Fulham: Three to watch

Derby County continue their pursuit of the play-offs tonight as Fulham visit Pride Park (7.45pm).

Both teams come into this game on the back of wins; Matej Vydra's goal for the Rams against QPR on Friday night was Gary Rowett's first win as Derby boss.

Fulham, meanwhile, beat Rotherham United 1-0 on Saturday. Sone Aluko scored his eighth goal of the season after a Sunday League-style scramble inside the Rotherham six-yard box to condemn the Championship strugglers to league one.

Here, as the two sides prepare to go head-to-head at Pride Park, we look at three players that Derby will need to keep tabs on:

Tom Cairney
Arguably Fulham's best player this season, the 26-year-old has made 27 Championship appearances with nine goals and nine assists.

Gordon Strachan has recognised the centre midfielder's form and, last month, he made his Scotland debut against Canada. If Fulham do not get promoted this season, it wouldn't be a surprise to many to see the player leave for a Premier League club - with Championship leaders Newcastle United linked with Cairney.

Sone Aluko
The Nigerian international will be Fulham's main goal threat. The pacey winger/forward is Fulham's fourth top scorer with eight this season.

The 28-year-old scored in Fulham's previous fixture to relegate Rotherham United and will be looking to boost the Cottagers' promotion hopes tonight.

Ryan Sessegnon
At just aged 16, Sessegnon surprised the football world last month when he came on to score two goals for Fulham against Championship high-flyers Newcastle United.

He became the first-ever player born in 2000 to score a goal in a first-team game in the English leagues and has has scored four goals in 18 league appearances this season.

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-v-fulham-three-to-watch/story-30248463-detail/story.html#EwZI670xDEXBW1ZW.99

WhiteJC

Supporting Fulham from Africa is tough but this season has been a pleasure to follow from afar
Chris Bishop is the Founding Editor of Forbes Africa and has been a supporter of Fulham for 28 years having stood in the rain and snow at Exeter and Hartlepool

Good season: Fulham are enjoying a strong year (Photo: Dan Istitene/Getty Images)

On Sunday evening I felt that sense of relief that only a Fulham fan can feel this deeply.

Bottom-of- the- table team in terrible form on All Fools Day?

Fulham is one of the few clubs in the world where fans fear the worst.

Look at Wolves at home the other week; even I, a long suffering fan for 28 years had it down for a home win.

Think again.

If Wolves were bottom of League 2 and Fulham were top of the Premiership we would lose to them and Dave Edwards would score. It is just the way we do things at Craven Cottage.

I am one of the host of Fulham exiles scattered around the world and there are not many of us –even fewer have stood in the rain and snow at Exeter City,Huddersfield and Hartlepool.

Even when we were in the top half of the Premier League the answer I got from most people across Africa was: "What is that?"

One of the few times I have run into a fellow Fulham fan on this continent was one afternoon playing football in my Fulham shirt in Johannesburg. My opposite number, who was the head of Africa for Reuters, stopped in his tracks, shook my hand and there was two minutes of smiling and:

"You are kidding."

"No, YOU are kidding."

So when I tell you I couldn't bear to listen to the Rotherham game on Saturday, you must understand that Fulham are almost never on cable TV here and I pay a monthly prescription to gentleman Jim McGullion.

I think I once went on a boat with him from Putney Bridge to Greenwich about 25 years ago for an away game against Leyton Orient (1-0, Sean Farrell headed the winner from a rebound 15 minutes from the end).

Not only that, I always appreciate his enthusiasm, as a fan, and the fact that he doesn't herald a last gasp goal against us, with : "What a beautiful strike, what a fantastic goal ...blah, blah." Rather the more tactful and dry: "As you can hear..(sigh) they've scored the winner."

I even smile at the odd: "Get up! Get up ! That was a dive!"

Anyway, it has been a pleasure to tune in to Jim this season, after three very barren years, as he describes the flowing, passing, game that Fulham's talented side is making their own; the kind of flair and attacking football not seen since the cavalier days of Jean Tigana nearly 20 years ago.

I think Slavisa Jokanovic is tough, has a plan, and every chance of driving Fulham out of the division.

Just think of the despair and threat of relegation just a year ago and how Jokanovic has turned it around.

I will be listening to the Derby County game on Tuesday late in the African night (Our clocks are one hour ahead). After that I could pronounce on promotion hopes. Until then, I will be using the Fulham fan's friend – prayer.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/supporting-fulham-africa-tough-season-12841363

WhiteJC

Rowett: This is what Derby County need to do tonight

Speaking to Derby County's official website, Gary Rowett has praised Fulham's possession based football, but encouraged his Derby side to go out and "dominate" when the two clubs meet in the Sky Bet Championship.

Derby welcome Fulham to the Pride Park Stadium, where Rowett is looking to record back-to-back victories for the first time as Rams' boss following Friday's 1-0 victory over Queens Park Rangers.

Rowett's side will face a difficult test, as Fulham currently sit sixth in the Championship table and look set to challenge for promotion to the Premier League.

Fulham have built up a reputation as one of the Championship's best footballing sides, enjoying large spells of possession in most fixtures.

While Rowett acknowledges it would be difficult, he encouraged his side to try to dominate: "It's a great challenge and we want to win every game we go in to. There's no point being tentative, we need to go and dominate games of football."

Rowett's side are currently tenth in the Championship table, eight points behind tonight's opponents, who occupy the final Play-Off spot.

If the Rams are to stage a late surge for the top-six, it is vital they pick up three points this evening.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/rowett-this-is-what-derby-county-need-to-do-tonight/

WhiteJC

Ex-Nottingham Forest man predicts Derby defeat v Fulham

Former Nottingham Forest midfielder David Prutton thinks that Derby County will lose their Championship clash with play-off hopefuls Fulham tonight.

Prutton, who played over 150 games for the Reds, is now working as a pundit for Sky Sports.

And although he admits that the Rams have improved lately, he's still going for a 2-1 Fulham win at Pride Park.

He said: "Derby have looked better under Gary Rowett in their games against Nottingham Forest and Queens Park Rangers. This will be a tough test though.

"Fulham are going to have to deal with the realisation of being in the top-six now. There's a bit of pressure on them to keep Sheffield Wednesday where they are. That could be used as an extra motivation though. I can see an away win."

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/ex-nottingham-forest-man-predicts-derby-defeat-v-fulham/story-30248724-detail/story.html#Gf57YqMBYWhbaVrP.99

WhiteJC

Derby County: Rowett on Russell, Fulham team news; George Thorne update

We're less than two hours away from kick-off but, to get you in the mood for Derby County's Championship game against Fulham, here is what has been happening.

Rams boss Gary Rowett has responded to Johnny Russell's self-criticism of his performances saying that his comments are "closure".

Russell said: "It's not been a great season for myself. I've fallen far from what my standards are and what the standards should be to play at this club. It's up to me to put things right."

His manager added: "His comments, for me, were maybe a little bit of closure on what had happen previously, his way of putting it to bed and now saying 'I now need to kick on and improve'.

"There has been lots of speculation about him leaving and maybe he feels like he has got an opportunity to really make one those front three positions behind the striker his own."

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic is confident of taking all three points against the Rams. The two sides shared the spoils in a 2-2 draw at Craven Cottage back in December.

And Alex Pearce, who scored the second equaliser against the London side, has called for the Rams to be on their guard to stand any chance of all three points.

He said: "They are a very good team and I was impressed with them when we played them at their place."

Gary Rowett is well aware of the danger posed by Fulham, who have lost just one of their last 10 games in the Championship.

Rowett said: "They have always been a very good passing team, always very fluid in their approach, and they like to try and dominate possession of the ball."

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic is a confident man going into tonight's game.

He said: "Derby has some quality players, but we do too and I am full on confidence that my team can get us another three points from this game that is immediately in front of us."

Midfielder Craig Bryson, who made his 200th appearance for Derby in the 1-0 defeat of QPR, is hoping for a fresh start under Rowett.

He said: "Sometimes, with managers, it just doesn't work out for you.

"But now there's a new manager, a clean slate, and it's up to me to try to get in the team."

Meanwhile, a top six finish is still possible for Derby County - the Rams could even finish as high as third in the Championships table.

There are lots of 'ifs' and 'buts' however, a win against Fulham tonight would see the Rams move to within five points of the top six.

Away from the pitch and there is an injury update on midfielder George Thorne.

Thorne, who broke his leg in the final game of the 2015-16 season, is aiming to be fit for Derby's pre-season campaign. And the 24-year-old admits that he has found recovery "tough".

"There's a bit of light at the end of the tunnel for me and I am looking forward to being in a good position for pre-season.

"It's been a long old slog and a very difficult time – but I am in a very good place right now."

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-rowett-on-russell-fulham-team-news-george-thorne-update/story-30248886-detail/story.html#zwk0ExUGDEbS2uCP.99