News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I'm going to New York 30th September advice needed.

Started by SHADY1, August 31, 2010, 07:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHADY1

Well i'm about to book it for 5 nights this evening.

Any serious recomendations of where to stay .....

Also am I better getting flight and hotel seperate ? anyone advise on a  company that offers deals..
I know i can browse for hours and hours but would prefer recommendations.

And of course if anyone will be watching the West Ham game in New York
Thanks
Steve

we are Fulham stay realistic or be for ever disappointed ...

Jimpav

Hello mate, I went to New York last year but have been a few times before that.
Stayed at the Hudson hotel last year. Very small rooms but good value and quite a stylish place. Walking distance to central park and less than 5 mins from the subway.
Lastminute.com can have cheap packages but these days it os cheaper to book yourself online. Try expedia for flights and then booking.com have very good hotel rates and lenient cancellation conditions.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Cheers,
Jim

FatFreddysCat

I'd advise you to eat as many burgers and doughnuts as possible so i can call you a fat bastard. or go to Spain instead, they have San Miguel, American beer is a bad as Eddie Johnson. Look up Finnster.

SHADY1

Cheers for that Jim  i'll make them my 1st sites to visit.

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Hotel Pennsylvania-clean,central,and as cheap as New York gets,stayed there before,will stay there again :59: Expedia is the way to go to book hotels and flights,enjoy :clap_hands:

americanmike

Quote from: SHADY1 on August 31, 2010, 07:07:58 PM
Well i'm about to book it for 5 nights this evening.

Any serious recomendations of where to stay .....

Also am I better getting flight and hotel seperate ? anyone advise on a  company that offers deals..
I know i can browse for hours and hours but would prefer recommendations.

And of course if anyone will be watching the West Ham game in New York
Thanks
Steve

Oh, just give me a call.

ScalleysDad

Save youself for a pancakes, eggs and bacon breakfast. The Statten Island commutor ferry is as good as the tourist boats. It used to be free but not so sure now. Stay on the boat as theres not much to see at the other end. Walk the Brooklyn Bridge from Manhattan then if you feel like it you can walk back at night. Its heck of a skyline. We took a list of album and song titles with us and spent a day hunting them down from West Side to the New Jersey Turnpike. Hire bikes and learn to speak the language. One finger salute is 'I was going left' and the two finger salute means it was'nt up to you to give way. Surprisingly safe if you hold your own. On our visit The Empire State was'nt taking cards which wiped out our cash. I don't know if they are cash only. Go in the morning for view number one,get a night ticket at the same time, (it safes wasting your life in a queue), and go back for equally spectacular view number two.We took the subway to the beach which was wierd and the museum and Grand Central Stn are both worth a look just because of the architecture.

Finnster will know best.

sipwell

http://sanctuaryguesthousenyc.blogspot.com/

We stayed here in 2009 (september). It is cheap, right in the center of Manhatten and it is fabulous. Rooftop (shared) terrace watching all relevant buildings in Manhattan (perfect for smokes and drinks late at night), cheap as hell, clean/perfectly kept and close to where-ever you want to go. If we return to NY, we'll book again. No doubt on my mind.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Whiteroom

America beer is not bad! I got back from America 3 weeks ago and was there for 2 months. We had a lot of really good American beer. Go on a ferry around NY, its brilliant.

mattiesafer

Quote from: SHADY1 on August 31, 2010, 09:01:48 PM
How can we talk when both phones are off or busy  ... hurry up !!!

If you're looking for good value I'd stay at the Jane hotel, rooms are small by design but very high quality.  I'd say it's the best value in the city.  And it puts you in a very lovely part of the West Village.  But really the question is what are you looking for?

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Whiteroom on August 31, 2010, 09:35:54 PM
America beer is not bad! I got back from America 3 weeks ago and was there for 2 months. We had a lot of really good American beer. Go on a ferry around NY, its brilliant.
Oh come on , American beer is almost as bad as it gets, probabably better than Greek Myphos beer  to give it some credit though. Spain is only two hours away  :dft003:. Have you got a visa?  I know a few people with criminal records that didn't get a visa got stopped at the Airport , spent a night in the cells and flew back the next day.

sipwell

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on August 31, 2010, 09:43:21 PM

Oh come on , American beer is almost as bad as it gets, probabably better than Greek Myphos beer  to give it some credit though. [/quote]

Mr. Freddy, I have to disagree here. As a Belgian, I know one or two things about beer... NY beer is generally of good quality because it is locally brewed, based on Belgian recipees . You have a - geek talk coming up - whole small business of beers, making locally brewed beer based on existing (Belgian recipees). If you go "local", you are never mistaken. Had some quality beers during our stay in NY, as long as you stay local in your choice of beer.

the Belgian beer lover,
sipwell

No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

finnster01

Mr Shady,

1) As the Rambler suggest Hotel Pennsylvania is about as central as it gets. It is right across the street from Penn station (subways to all over NY, Long Island Rail Road for beaches (You can still catch good weather in Sept/Oct. Long Beach in Long Island highly recommended for a day to catch a lazy breather after running around the city) and New Jersey transit if you want to go to Jersey. Pennsylvania hotel is not as pretty as it once was, but it has a great strategic location. I would also check on Expedia to see if you can get a deal (flight+hotel scores you more discounts). Penn station is also underneath the legendary Madison Square Garden where you can take in the NBA, NHL and concerts.
2) Staten Island Ferry also best (and cheapest) way to catch wonderful photo ops of the skyline and Statue of Liberty). Don't waste your time going on a tour to Statue of Liberty. Too many tourists and long lines and bugger all to do.
3) Museums are plenty (including a sex museum), and a visit to the Metropolitan Museum next to Central Park is highly recommended. They also sell beer should you need a breather. It is actually a good half day well spent in there and follow up with shopping on 5th Avenue on the way back.
4) For Fulham (and any other) football you want to go to Nevada Smiths (third Ave, between 11th and 12th st.) http://www.nevadasmiths.net/
5) Loads of great restaurants serving any fare you fancy and great pubs as well
6) Great comedy clubs (Gotham and Carolines are the best)
7) Despite what people say, best way to catch as much as you can of the sights in NYC in as little as possible time is jump on one of the double decker tourist buses for a day. You can get off and on all day, and they show you all the sites. Bring the camera, and that takes care of the photos in one simple run. The only problem is that it is not a good thing if it is raining or chilly, it gets frigging cold on top of those things (as they are top less...)
8) Also, you may want to try to squeeze in a trip to Yankee stadium and catch a game but it is late in season so tickets may be hard to get. The new stadium is very nice and it is an excellent (but expensive) day out.
9) There is also a boat ride around the Manhattan island that is nice on a sunny day. They sell beer and wine downstairs and gives you a beautiful view of the New York skyline and plenty of photo ops.
10) If you or the missus are into Broadway plays, you can line up at the TKTS booths (one on Times Square and another at the South Street Seaport) and get up to 50% off on plays that day. Google TKTS for details

In short, there are a million things to do in New York. What ever tickles your fancy. The city literally never sleeps and if you feel like going for a beer 24x7, not a problem.

You'll enjoy it.

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Tonywa

Hotel Pennsylvania is well situated, but have not stayed there for about a decade so don't know what it's like these days.  The Milford Plaza is fantastically served for subway stations being only a short walk from 42nd Street and having an station entrance about a minute from the front door which is very handy if the weather is bad.

For my last few trips I have stayed at the Holiday Inn on 57th Street and 10th.  Not as central as the Milford Plaza and a few blocks to the subway, but as quite a bit of the business I have to attend to is centered in and around Lincoln Center it is very handy being only something like eight or nine minutes walk.   It's a great city - have a wonderful time.

TW

MrCheviot

I live in NYC (Brooklyn) and I don't often recommend any touristy things or "as-seen-in" from the pictures. I make one exception to this rule:

Katz's Deli.

Go, make sure you have a dollar or two to tip the carver, and get yourself a fresh pastrami sandwich and some half-sours.

Thank me later.

IF it's beer you're after, I heartily recommend The special one Man (36th btw 5th Ave & Madison). Rediculous number of beers on tap, and maybe you'll do your bit to help ruin the notion that we don't have good beer here. If you're willing to venture to Brooklyn, Bar Great Harry (Smith St, F Train), Mission Delores and the to some extend 4th Ave Pub (both on 4th ave, Pacific St. stop, several trains e.g. B, D, N, R, Q) all serve the finest domestics in the land.

Not sure if you're sorted a place to stay yet, but anywhere near Harold Square (32nd & Broadway) is ideal - easy to get just about everywhere.

Need anything else let me know.
"Zamora!! What About that? We have seen some brilliant football from Shakhtar Donetsk tonight, but nothing.. nothing quite as good as that!"

SHADY1

Excellent advice so far ... hotel all sorted.

Just starting a list of must do's ...
I don't want to come home thinking shyt didn't go there.

So any more must visit places and of course stay away froms would be a help.

cheers guys

I will be meeting Mike out there and he's showing me a bar and introducing me to New York FFC fans to watch the West ham game... the countdown is on..

americanmike

Quote from: SHADY1 on September 14, 2010, 05:37:34 PM
I will be meeting Mike out there and he's showing me a bar and introducing me to New York FFC fans to watch the West ham game... the countdown is on..

Yes you are and if you're lucky I'll even buy you a beer.

SHADY1

My 1st trip to America my 1st beer from you... Happy days  ..  :beer:

FatFreddysCat

Take a crate of Stella or San Miguel with you or you'll struggle to get pissed  :015:

finnster01

Should you find yourself downtown in the financial district, the Pound & Pence carries both Fuller's ESB and London Pride on draft!  :045: Decent pub on top but not a place for late night drinks as downtown is dead after 8 o'clock.

Anyway, it's at 55 Liberty street.

www.poundandpence.com
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead