watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

the weekly Button excuse thread

Started by fulhamben, April 04, 2017, 09:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitimo

I read in a recent post, an interview with our head GK coach; he reckoned that there was not a lot of difference between Button and Bettinelli.  Given that statement, isn't it time that Button was sat on the bench to think about his performances while the other guy gets a go.
Betts can't be too much worse than the incumbent, surely.

Woolly Mammoth

Jok has I feel at least a couple of massive decisions to make for Saturday. Bearing in mind it's Ipswich Town who are our opponents. Does he bring in Michael Madl who I think is better suited to playing Mick McCartheys robust team than Tim Ream.
But an even bigger call is does he stick with David Button or does he bet on Betts. This could be a bit of a no win situation for the Manager, as he could be damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't.
If he drops Button, which could effect Buttons confidence, as Button could feel he is being blamed for the defeat, and then if Betts plays and has a nervous dodgy game himself, which basically means Jok has jumped out of the frying pan into the fire, and he could end up with two goalkeepers low on confidence.
So the manager may ere on the side of caution, and keep Button in goal. However with Ream, it would not surprise me if he goes for Madl who I think is better suited to play alongside Kalas against Ipswich Town, with M M guaranteed to set his stall out to rough Fulham up.
As for Chris Martin, has he burnt his Bridges.
That's three issues that Jok's man management skills are going to be severely tested over the next few days.
But one things for sure, who on Earth is responsible for coaching our players in defensive areas, especially the back five, as well as question marks about our midfield not tucking in quick enough when we lose the ball, and not covering the full backs quick enough.
A little surgery is needed by Jok, as well as giving the players a little homework on the training  ground.

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

HatterDon

I know I don't watch the games in person, so I don't know anything, but isn't Button the guy THIS SITE named MOTM against Rotherham? Did there need to be an excuse thread for him last week? If not, then how can there be a "weekly Button excuse thread?"

Just asking
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Woolly Mammoth

I think the David Button situation is a bit of a knee jerk even though I am not his biggest fan.
He appeared at fault with two of the goals last night, but he wasn't the only one. I am not quite sure who masters the team at the back these days, but they push up with a high line when we are attacking, which is good I feel as it squeezes the opponents back into there own half, although they did get caught out a couple of times when Derby dinked the ball  over and through and round our defence to David Nugent. But defending as a Unit when we do not have the ball is a bit of a worry. So in the short term I reckon Jok may stick with Button, and hope he can get over some short comings in his Goal Keeping. But our defending as a whole has a lot to be desired, which is reflected in some of the goals we concede, as well as the total amount of goals against.
But I have seen us play worse than last night and win.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

White Rabbit

It seems to me that Button is fine when he's between the sticks, after all saved the penalty and, yes, was great at Rotherham. Its his tendency to play as an outfielder coupled with defenders use of him as some kind of sweeper which I see as a problem. Presumably this is the result of Slavisa's tactics rather than a problem with Button. Too often goals against have come from panicky pass backs putting Button under pressure and two of those last night come into that category. The throw out directly to one of the opposition though could only be a lack of concentration, although I think the DCFC jeers may have been getting to him. I think its the defence as a tactical unit that needs sorting out.

toshes mate

The first goal was poor defensive tracking of an attack over the top with both right side defenders failing to narrow the huge gap they left long before Button had to make his decision to come out.   The second was poor defending at a corner again on the right side.  The third and fourth were down to goalkeeping errors.  Button had a poor game but he was not alone defensively speaking.

westcliff white

With the third goal though, ream gives it away so Button has to come, if that doesn't happen he stays in his box. That doesn't forgive the poor clearance are put though. Only half the blame for me on that. Don't forget also two defenders got back one slide past and the other stayed wrong side to get a tackle in
Every day is a Fulham day

MJG

Quote from: westcliff white on April 05, 2017, 10:23:46 AM
With the third goal though, ream gives it away so Button has to come, if that doesn't happen he stays in his box. That doesn't forgive the poor clearance are put though. Only half the blame for me on that. Don't forget also two defenders got back one slide past and the other stayed wrong side to get a tackle in
you have to throw Malone in as well for his hand in the third

snarks

The third was a catalogue of errors between Malone, Ream and Button, to pin all the blame on any of them is wrong, but Button could have put that into row z. The fourth was all his own work, but the penalty save was excellent so it cancels the fourth out IMHO

Mitch

Quote from: snarks on April 05, 2017, 10:30:27 AM
The third was a catalogue of errors between Malone, Ream and Button, to pin all the blame on any of them is wrong, but Button could have put that into row z. The fourth was all his own work, but the penalty save was excellent so it cancels the fourth out IMHO

It definitely doesn't. That penalty was the worse kind and perfect for a keeper, so should be saved. Credit to him for doing it, but it's no excuse or leveller. There's no excuse for two mistakes THAT bad. He's an average keeper who's been due a cock up for a while, and last night we got two. That's without questioning him on the first too. He's not a promotion keeper.

Fulham1959

Quote from: ffcthereligion on April 04, 2017, 09:22:47 PM
The guy is an absolute disgrace and should not have a professional contract in the football league. Not fit to wear the shirt.

What a ludicrous over-reaction.

Having said that, I think Bettinelli should be given another chance.  Many don't rate him but he's surely due an opportunity to show us how his game may have developed.

J.Perkins

He is a good goalkeeper. In the box, I'm sure he's a big reason why we've conceded about 80% less goals from set pieces.

The trouble is, like Sigurdsson, neither suit our style at all. Next season, we do need a keeper who is better at distributing the ball. Button could easily suit a top half championship club. Betts is capable back up once more, unless he wants to leave.