News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I went last night so here's a match summary and analysis (for the purist!)

Started by abfg, April 05, 2017, 09:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopper

Great reporting - thanks.

Looks like we need to bring in 2-3 CBs and a keeper. Don't think Kalas or Ream are up to it, and if they are above Madl and Sig - then these guys probably aren't either.

Our deficiencies are 100% clear at this point, and hopefully in the summer we'll be able to address them and be a real force next year.

jarv

ABFG, excellent post.  Your opinion please. Do you think, after a poor start to the season, Joka changed things and we moved up the table playing good football, the team has hit the wall again.? Could it be once again, opponents have figured out Fulham and tactically being outclassed.?

SG

Quote from: jarv on April 05, 2017, 02:07:05 PM
ABFG, excellent post.  Your opinion please. Do you think, after a poor start to the season, Joka changed things and we moved up the table playing good football, the team has hit the wall again.? Could it be once again, opponents have figured out Fulham and tactically being outclassed.?

I don't think any manager can legislate for the errors that caused the 3rd and 4th goals. Why didn't Button put the ball in row Z before their third. I suspect because he is told by the manager that he wants the ball played out. Therefore arguably the manager is to blame for these basic errors as the defenders are playing in the style and manner that he has instructed - Guardiola says the same about his defenders

abfg

Quote from: jarv on April 05, 2017, 02:07:05 PM

Hi - thanks for the nice comments. I think generally SJ has the team in a higher position in the table than the overall depth and ability in the squad. That takes time and dedication on the training ground, for which coaching and playing staff should be complimented (and in fairness the board for getting and keeping a good manager). I also think that (as I said above, see reply to andyk for detail on this) our expansive style of play that has led to so many goals scored will inevitably also lead to exposing the centre backs and conceding more than average too (and the, ahem, odd mistake). Hence why my view is the need for ruthlessness in front of goal if we persist with this style.

In terms of it, since the team settled into the season and style and new players bedding in etc, it's been a positive season and it's a joy to worry about the top end not the bottom. Where frustration comes is that this has been a great opportunity, and still is a great opportunity, to get promoted and maybe the board could have done more.

Firstly the team seems a bit jaded. Our squad is not deep enough for rotation of key players and this must start to affect things. Secondly the squad is somewhat unbalanced. We have a lot of no.10/winger type players, but no trustworthy centre forwards and this is costing us now. A new centre forward is my top of the list, but obviously we need to strengthen other areas too, particularly centre back. But given one new player, for me a CF would give the most impact on points (even if perhaps not goals).

If you look at form (I like the BBC full table with the colour dots for 10 game form because you can really see the form visually) our recent form is not too bad and at the very least roughly equivalent to those around us. Our teamwork is one of the best in the league. Our squad overall natural ability and depth is probably higher middling in the league (based on only seeing each other team once, a couple twice) and so we have sort of stabilised out roughly where we deserve. I do believe a bit more in January could have made a big difference.

If we didn't go up this year, which obviously is still possible of course, I worry about a couple of resurgent teams like Derby, Villa and Norwich. But that's for next season. Right now, it's still possible, we should still have faith and until the final whistle of the final game I'll have no idea whether I'll be happy all summer or grumpy!

AlexW132

The players don't need a rest, they just had an international break. Also the reason why the jury's out on Cyriac is because he never gets a start. Good report though.

toshes mate

Quote from: abfg on April 05, 2017, 02:57:36 PM

Firstly the team seems a bit jaded. Our squad is not deep enough for rotation of key players and this must start to affect things. Secondly the squad is somewhat unbalanced. We have a lot of no.10/winger type players, but no trustworthy centre forwards and this is costing us now. A new centre forward is my top of the list, but obviously we need to strengthen other areas too, particularly centre back. But given one new player, for me a CF would give the most impact on points (even if perhaps not goals).

Being jaded and not having depth in the squad are so rigidly linked I cannot see how anyone failed to notice the need to do so much more in January at Board level.  Competition for Martin (with or without the Derby saga), cover for McDonald in the key role as a defending midfielder to allow Ream and Kalas to spread and cover flanks if need be, a taller defender (even if it happens to a be tall attacker back to cover set pieces), it seems as if the Board have rested upon their laurels and not been paying attention.   But we are still in there and if we hadn't given away three silly goals last night we would have been good for a better result, especially with Aluko going so close with the one that struck the angle.

Some really good posts from you.  Thank you.     

b+w geezer

I'd second all of the post just now from Toshes Mate, especially the last part commending the original report and its  follow-ups. 

The Swan

I only saw the Sky highlights for two minutes and your report summed it up brilliantly .
You should get a job on one of the Newspapers as a Football reporter. Well done.
The Swan

FulhamStu

Excellent report thanks, if you look at my what's right, what's wrong thread you will see i said much the same about the needs of the squad.  Playing as we do, high risk, requires better players.  We are well covered in some areas but lack in others and I agree totally what,has been called out here.  If we can all see it, one assumes the manager and club see it.  One final point, clearly Slav agrees we need to play a hold up centre forward as he normally plays Martin.  I don't like Martin personally as I don't think he busts a gut to get on the end of things enough but he is clearly the type of player Slav wants.  As for why we have never seen Cyriac start is odd as in short bursts he has looked good.  Surely last night was a perfect time to play him but even when behind and needing a goal he was left sitting on his arse.  This makes me think that for some reason Slav has an issue with Cyriac that us fans have not yet identified.

Twig

Excellent report and the proof of that is the quality of debate it has stimulated!  I was absolutely incandescent at the failure to strengthen the squad in January.  Some on here tried to argue that a couple of freebies/loanees coming in was evidence of the Board addressing that need. Nonsense! The squad has clear deficiencies including goalkeeper and centre forward.  Add to that the pressure on some players to play every game due to lack of depth and you have an inadequate squad.

If we go up fine but I am not betting my house on that.  If we don't go up then I will be watching our summer transfer activity with keen interest.

ffc2004

Quote from: FulhamStu on April 06, 2017, 07:30:05 AM
Excellent report thanks, if you look at my what's right, what's wrong thread you will see i said much the same about the needs of the squad.  Playing as we do, high risk, requires better players.  We are well covered in some areas but lack in others and I agree totally what,has been called out here.  If we can all see it, one assumes the manager and club see it.  One final point, clearly Slav agrees we need to play a hold up centre forward as he normally plays Martin.  I don't like Martin personally as I don't think he busts a gut to get on the end of things enough but he is clearly the type of player Slav wants.  As for why we have never seen Cyriac start is odd as in short bursts he has looked good.  Surely last night was a perfect time to play him but even when behind and needing a goal he was left sitting on his arse.  This makes me think that for some reason Slav has an issue with Cyriac that us fans have not yet identified.

We did bring Cyriac on... too late admittedly, but still.