Wednesday Fulham Stuff (01.09.10)

Started by White Noise, August 31, 2010, 08:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11679_6351254,00.html

Schwarzer stay pleases Hughes

Cottagers boss happy with the way window panned out

Last updated: 31st August 2010   

Mark Hughes is delighted to have kept Mark Schwarzer at Fulham on a frantic transfer deadline day.

The Australia international was the subject of interest from Arsenal throughout the summer, with both parties making it clear that they would like to reach an agreement.

However, Fulham refused to waver from their stance that the experienced goalkeeper would be going nowhere unless a suitable replacement was found.

With no incomings at Craven Cottage on Tuesday, Schwarzer remains part of Hughes' plans and he is pleased to have retained a player of his considerable ability.

He told Sky Sports News: "We talked about Mark's situation on a number of occasions and ideally we wanted him to stay. We understood that there was an interest from Arsenal but given our current goalkeeping situation there was no chance of him leaving."

Reports suggested the Gunners had made one last attempt to prise Schwarzer away with a £4million bid, but Hughes insists no such offer was received.

"No, it didn't. There were two real strong enquiries but there was never a bid today," he added.

Dismissed
Hughes was also able to fend off interest in talismanic frontman Bobby Zamora as the window drew to the close, with the England international believed to have been the subject of late big-money bids.

"I think there are always enquiries about good players, but very quickly we dismissed any interest anybody had in Bobby because he's key to what we're trying to do," said Hughes.

On those he was looking to bring in to Fulham, Hughes admits he was in the market for Manchester City striker Roque Santa Cruz.

"We enquired about that but it wasn't able to be taken over the line," he said.

"There were a number of targets we hoped to bring to the club. We feel we have had a decent window, we have brought some good players to the club. We haven't been able to do anything on the last day but that doesn't mean you haven't had a good window."

Hughes also played down speculation that he had made a move for Tottenham winger David Bentley on deadline day.

White Noise

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/839611-bobby-zamora-bid-by-liverpool-turned-down-fulham-boss-mark-hughes-hints

Bobby Zamora bid by Liverpool turned down, Fulham boss Mark Hughes hints

Mark Hughes has hinted Fulham turned down at least three "strong" offers from a number of clubs on transfer deadline day - including one from Liverpool.

England hopeful Zamora had been linked to a reunion with former manager Roy Hodgson, who took over from Rafa Benitez at Anfield earlier in the summer.

Liverpool are said to have been one of the three confirmed clubs who made enquiries about the Cottagers striker on August 31st.

But Hughes said he always intended to keep Zamora - as well as Arsenal target Mark Schwarzer - to help his side's quest for domestic success this season.

"I believe there were three substantial bids, but we quickly told those clubs that he wasn't for sale," Hughes said.

"Bobby's an important player for us."

More: Fulham transfer news and rumours

Hughes also spoke about reports of a renewed bid from the Gunners for Schwarzer, who the Welshman said he is "very pleased" to see staying at Craven Cottage.

"Nothing like that materialised," said Hughes, when asked if he could confirm a £4million bid from Arsenal on deadline day.

"I'm very pleased Mark is staying at the club and I'm looking forward to working with him. He's a good professional."

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6351187,00.html

Santa Cruz left in limbo

City striker facing uncertain future

Last updated: 31st August 2010   

Roque Santa Cruz has been forced to accept that his opportunity to leave Manchester City has now passed.

The Paraguay international striker was expected to be among those on their way out of Eastlands this summer after tumbling down the pecking order.

Various clubs were reported to be keen on the experienced frontman, with loan deals and permanent switches touted on a regular basis.

However, the transfer window slammed shut at 6pm on Tuesday with Santa Cruz still on the books at City.

He now faces an uncertain few months before the window opens again in January, with Roberto Mancini having already informed him that he does not figure prominently in his plans.

"Unfortunately, I have heard from the manager than he won't be counting on me too much this season," Santa Cruz told Sky Sports News.

"I heard that a week before the season and I had time to see if I could arrange a move. But in the end the club were happy to keep me and they weren't happy with anything that came through.

"Now I am looking forward to getting back into training and seeing if I have any opportunities to prove myself in the team."

Discussions
Serie A giants Lazio were believed to be leading the race for Santa Cruz's signature, but they were unable to strike a deal with City.

Santa Cruz added: "They were there right until the end, but they didn't reach an agreement with the club. I was waiting to hear what was going on, but there was no agreement. It was then too late to keep talking. That's the way it has finished."

Fulham were another side reported to be keen on sealing a loan swoop and Santa Cruz admits he would have welcomed the opportunity to work under former City boss Mark Hughes again at Craven Cottage.

"I would have been very happy to play for him and if I had the chance to go there and play under him again, I would," he added.

"But again City were looking to keep me even though the manager has said that he won't be counting on me this season. I just have to try to prove myself in training.

"I am healthy and I am looking forward. The deadline has gone. I am on my way to play for the national team and hopefully I will get the minutes I haven't got at City this season."

White Noise

Stoke clinch surprise Jermaine Pennant deal as winger joins Eidur Gudjohnsen, Marc Wilson and Salif Diao at Britannia

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 6:51 PM on 31st August 2010

Stoke City clinched the signing of striker Eidur Gudjohnsen - and confirmed a shock move for winger Jermaine Pennant just moments before the transfer window closed.
The club also signed midfielder Marc Wilson from Portsmouth in a deal that saw Liam Lawrence and Dave Kitson go to Fratton Park.

And Tony Pulis re-signed Salif Diao, whose contract ran out at the end of last season.

Former Chelsea, Barcelona and Tottenham striker Gudjohnsen turned down Fulham to join Stoke on a season-long loan from Monaco.
Pennant, the 27-year-old former Arsenal, Liverpool and Birmingham midfielder, has returned from Real Zaragoza on a season loan.

Diao, In addition to his new contract, will also take on an ambassadorial role for the club in Africa and other parts of the world.

'It's great to be back home. I love the club and I love the supporters, so I always hoped something could be sorted out,' said the 33-year-old Senegalese.

'I feel there is still unfinished business and I want to help Stoke City continue the excellent progress made in my time here.

'Tony Pulis is more than a manager to me and I want to repay the faith that he has shown in my ability at this stage in my career.

'I believe I can still make a big contribution as a player but it is also very exciting that I have another important role to play which could help bring new talent to the club in the future.'

Pulis added: 'It is fantastic to see Salif back because he is not only an experienced head, he is a good person to have around the place.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1307777/Stoke-sign-Jermaine-Pennant-Eidur-Gudjohnsen-Salif-Diao-Marc-Wilson.html#ixzz0yDIbVMu9

White Noise

Paul Konchesky completes move to Liverpool as Reds youngsters head to Craven Cottage

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 5:42 PM on 31st August 2010

Defender Paul Konchesky has been reunited with former manager Roy Hodgson after finally completing his move to Liverpool from Fulham.

The 29-year-old has signed a four-year contract, with Reds reserve team players Lauri Dalla Valle and Alex Kacaniklic moving in the opposite direction as part of the deal.

Konchesky was at Anfield to watch his new team's victory over West Brom on Sunday but the completion of his deal was held up by negotiations and medicals for Dalla Valle and Kacaniklic.

The two-cap former England international, who played under Hodgson at Fulham, will provide much-needed competition for Fabio Aurelio at left-back.

Argentinian Emiliano Insua is destined to leave the club, with a proposed loan to Galatasaray, after an earlier move to Fiorentina collapsed over personal terms despite the clubs agreeing a fee.

In the wake of Dalla Valle and Kacaniklic's departure Liverpool have moved to strengthen the reserves with the signing of 16-year-old Suso from FC Cadiz on a scholarship agreement and MTK Budapest's Hungary Under-17 international Adam Hajdu on a temporary transfer until next June, with both deals subject to international clearance.

Suso, a 16-year-old forward, impressed for the reserves in pre-season and even featured as a late substitute for the first team in the friendly defeat to Borussia Moenchengladbach.

Meanwhile, Emiliano Insua has left Liverpool for Turkish giants Galatasaray on a season-long loan with an option to make the deal permanent.
The 21-year-old full-back has been at Liverpool for the past four years, having joined as a youngster from Boca Juniors.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1307746/Paul-Konchesky-completes-Liverpool.html#ixzz0yDIxiBz1

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6350949,00.html

Fulham to offer Zamora deal

Striker poised for lucrative new contract

By Pete O'Rourke   Last updated: 31st August 2010   

Fulham are poised to offer star striker Bobby Zamora the most lucrative contract in the club's history after warding off suitors of the player, skysports.com understands.

The West London club are keen to keep hold of the 29-year-old and they are in talks over a bumper new deal to fend off interest from rival clubs.

Zamora, who has been ruled out of England's squad for their forthcoming Euro 2012 qualifiers because of a thigh injury, has one year left on his current deal and Fulham are desperate to secure his long-term future.

Fulham have reportedly rejected overtures this summer from the likes of Liverpool, Tottenham, Sunderland, Birmingham, Juventus and Schalke for the England international.

Zamora, who played a key role in Fulham's march to the Europa League final last season, has started this campaign in fine style with a number of eye-catching performances.

Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson was in the market for a new striker and is believed to have sounded out a move for Zamora, while Spurs chief Harry Redknapp is also a huge admirer of the forward.

Sunderland expressed an interest in Zamora as they saw him as an ideal replacement for Kenwyne Jones following his departure to Stoke.

Birmingham have held a long-term interest in Zamora and are thought to have had several bids rejected for the former West Ham man this summer.

Fulham were determined to fight off the interest in Zamora as he is a key part of Mark Hughes' plans at Craven Cottage and they are keen to give the forward the most lucrative deal in their history to reward him for his loyalty.

White Noise

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/konchesky-new-boy-in-10-facts

Konchesky: New boy in 10 facts

31st Aug 2010 - Latest News

8 Comments

Liverpool have completed the signing of full-back Paul Konchesky - but how much do you know about our new boy? Here are 10 facts to bring you up to speed.

Paul began his footballing life with East London outfit Senrab boys, who can also boast to have had John Terry, Ledley King, Jlloyd Samuel, and Bobby Zamora on their books.

He was born and bred in Dagenham and owes his unusual surname to his Polish grandfather.

He featured as a left winger for Senrab, where he honed skills alongside Zamora that have no doubt benefited regulars inside Craven Cottage over the past few seasons.  "I used to play left-wing in those days," he said. "Bobby was still up top but he was quite small back then, not like he is now. But he worked hard, he's got stronger and stronger, and he's turned out to be a fantastic player."

Konchesky was born on May 15, 1981 and shares a birthday with fellow left-back Patrice Evra and Scottish tennis star, Andy Murray.

He grew up as a West Ham supporter and realised a boyhood dream when he joined the Hammers in 2005. He went on to feature over 50 times for the club - including the 2006 FA Cup final when he scored against the Reds.

Paul was once Charlton Athletic's youngest ever player after making his debut at the age just 16. However, in a strange quirk of fate, his record was recently broken by new Reds teammate Jonjo Shelvey.

Konchesky has a habit of hitting the back of the net in sensational style and was awarded Fulham's goal of the season gong for his stunning 35-yarder in a 3-1 defeat against former club, West Ham in 2008-09.

The left-back doesn't believe in offering a mute response to goals against his former clubs and would probably enjoy the moment if he struck against Fulham in the future. Asked if he would stay quiet if he netted against West Ham back in 2009, he said: "There's no harm in celebrating a goal as long as you don't go to the lengths of Emmanuel Adebayor!"

Konchesky has two caps for England - but has never started a match for the Three Lions. Both of his appearances have been as a second-half substitute in friendly encounters against Australia in 2003 and Argentina in 2005.

Paul is brother-in-law to John Terry's elder brother, who is also named Paul.

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2010/08/konch-leaves/

Konch Leaves...

by gatesy on August 31, 2010

And with that we say goodbye to Paul Konchesky, and my friend Jon (who has a little Bro-mance for him) will shed a little tear.

Don't panic! It's just PK and his serial killer-esque eyes who have departed for Liverpool.

One of the few signings by Lawrie Sanchez to be regarded as decent, Paul signed for the Whites in Summer 2007 from West Ham for £3.25m. His time at the Boleyn was cut short with the arrival of Alan Curbishly with whom he'd had a falling out with at Charlton. But their loss was our gain. After muffing up on his debut up at Hull, Konch went on to make 97 appearances for the club and scored two goals. His first being a thunderbolt of a goal, his first for the club, against his old team West Ham in January 2009.

Paul has moved to join up with Roy up at Liverpool for a fee of between £3-4million pounds on a four year deal.  Joining Fulham from Liverpool as part of the deal are youngsters Lauri Dalla Valle and Alex Kacaniklic.

White Noise

Fulham Internationals

Tuesday 31st August 2010

Fulham FC News

Qualification for Euro 2012 kicks-off on Friday with eight Fulham players involved for their respective nations.

Close to home, Chris Baird and Aaron Hughes have been selected by Northern Ireland for Friday's clash against Slovenia in Maribor whilst Damien Duff and Stephen Kelly have been selected by the Republic of Ireland for two qualifying matches.

The Fulham duo will travel to Yerevan for Friday's match against Armenia before heading home to Dublin for Tuesday's qualifier against Andorra.

Fulham's Norwegian contingent, Brede Hangeland and Bjorn Helge Riise, head to Reykjavik for Friday's head-to-head with Iceland before a home tie against Portugal in Oslo on Tuesday.

Following his return to the international scene with Hungary, Zoltan Gera will be in action twice over the next week, first against Sweden in Solna before entertaining Moldova in Budapest.

After making a scintillating start to his Fulham career, Moussa Dembele heads home to Brussels for Friday's qualifier against Germany, before his Belgium team take on Turkey in Istanbul on Tuesday.

Further afield three Fulham players will be taking part in Continental Qualifiers in Africa. John Pantsil will team up with up Ghana for Sunday's match against Swaziland in Lobamba whilst Rafik Halliche returns home to Blida for Algeria's game against Tanzania. Saturday's goal scoring hero, Dickson Etuhu, has been selected by Nigeria for Sunday's qualifier against Madagascar in Abuja.

Carlos Salcido will also be collecting plenty of air miles over the next week, as he returns home to Mexico for two friendly matches against Ecuador on Saturday in Guadalajara, and Columbia on Tuesday in Monterrey.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/August/InternationalCallUps.aspx#ixzz0yDKgeRQL

White Noise

Konchesky Departs

Tuesday 31st August 2010

Fulham FC News

Fulham Football Club has secured the services of promising youngsters Lauri Dalla Valle and Alex Kacaniklic from Liverpool as part of a cash plus players deal, that has seen Paul Konchesky move to Anfield.

Finnish striker Lauri Dalla Valle recently made his first team debut for Liverpool having impressed at youth team level in recent seasons. The 18-year-old scored eight goals as the Reds reached the FA Youth Final in 2009.

Swedish winger Alex Kacaniklic was also a member of Liverpool's Youth Cup team in 2009, scoring in the Final against Arsenal. Having joined Liverpool's Academy from Helsingborg in the summer of 2007, Kacaniklic was promoted to Liverpool's Reserve team after two years.

As the Club welcomes two promising future prospects it would like to also thank Paul Konchesky for all his efforts since joining Fulham in the summer of 2007.

Konchesky was an integral member of Fulham's formidable defence in recent years and played a crucial role in the Club's recent Barclays Premier League and UEFA Europa League successes. The Club would like to wish Paul every success for his future with Liverpool FC.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/August/KoncheskyTransfer.aspx#ixzz0yDKt1Lkh

White Noise

http://fulham.theoffside.com/team-news/transfer-recap2010-11-season-preview.html

Transfer Recap/2010-11 Season Preview

By: timmyg | August 31st, 2010

Perhaps it is cheating a bit to do a season preview three weeks into said season. But the transfer window and managerial changes can render a club's forecast completely null in a matter of minutes.

Just look at Aston Villa – Martin O'Neill's departure right before the season started threw a monkey wrench into fans' outlooks, but also rendered every pundit's guide as dated. The best example of this happening was on Fox Soccer Channel, when instead of airing their previously taped preview segment on Aston Villa, they instead ran a shoddily put-together voice-over analysis of O'Neill's sudden exit. Basically, there was no preview.

Secondly, take a look at the table. Is anyone beginning to worry about Stoke and Everton's torrid start? Is anyone making a big deal about Liverpool's current 13th place spot? Or congratulating Aston Villa for being fourth? Probably not. So this isn't any 11th hour predictions.

Lastly, had I written a preview of Fulham before the season started there would have been no mention of Moussa Dembélé, who has been a revelation so far this brief season. Nor would I write about the departure of Paul Konchesky, who has just shy of 100 appearances with the club, and is third-longest tenured defender with the club behind Chris Baird by one day and Aaron Hughes by just a few weeks.

Thankfully I am afforded an international break that should give all a chance to really reflect on where this season is headed...

Which, frankly, I don't know where it is going. A top 10 finish should be on the docket (had it not been for Europa, Fulham could have easily achieved 9th last season instead of settling anonymous for 12th) but in all honesty spots 6 to 10 are completely up for grabs.

Aston Villa are still without a full time manager and didn't sign anyone this transfer window. Okay, fine, they did bring in Stephen Ireland, but that was a trade for James Milner.

Liverpool will be steadied by Roy Hodgson, but are still a mess. Across town, Everton currently have zero points (despite it still being early and starting slow each of the past three years) and did not bolster their ever injury-prone lineup in any formidable capacity.

Birmingham City have reloaded, but can they prevent tapering off in the second half like they did last season?

Oh, and does anyone think Blackburn will repeat a Top 10 finish? No. Let's move on.

I'm not saying Fulham are a lock for sixth spot, but the deficiencies of the clubs above us are, to me, more glaring this year than any other I can remember. Perhaps then having a maverick like Hughes as manager will be a blessing for us.
We know that the next step for Fulham is to improve our away form — not just by actually winning, but by playing to win. Our expectations on the road had become completely stale under Roy, yet now they are beginning to blossom. The goals we conceded against Blackpool were not defensive lapses in of themselves, but because we were pressing forward. Progress, no?

Our goalkeeper situation is currently questionable – unconfirmed "reports" are that David Stockdale is out for two months with ligament damage and Mark Schwarzer was "injured" only because he wanted to go to Arsenal. Well, thankfully, he's still at SW6.

At the back, our defense is unchanged beyond Konchesky's departure. Thankfully we signed Salcido who should be an apt replacement. Once, or if, Senderos recovers we have a solid international as cover in the center. In the middle, I'm worried that production from Duff, Davies, and Murphy will decline this year because of their age, but thankfully Dembele's arrival and Etuhu becoming an offensive weapon has allowed more flexibility for Zoltan Gera and Clint Dempsey.

Up front is still our biggest question mark, but something I think will Hughes will sort out. If it was such an issue, Hughes would have most definitely signed a striker this offseason; and he didn't.

Lastly, a Cup run should be essential. Thankfully, we have the man for the job as Mark Hughes has been to two Carling Cup semifinals and one FA Cup semifinal as a manager, and won 4 FA Cups and 3 League Cups as a player (with an additional appearance as runner-up in both).

This season may never cap the joys of our European exploits last season. But that's okay with me. I know this season will have it's share of ecstasy too.

os5889

Quote from: White Noise on August 31, 2010, 08:36:35 PM

Konchesky Departs

Tuesday 31st August 2010

Fulham FC News

Fulham Football Club has secured the services of promising youngsters Lauri Dalla Valle and Alex Kacaniklic from Liverpool as part of a cash plus players deal, that has seen Paul Konchesky move to Anfield.

Finnish striker Lauri Dalla Valle recently made his first team debut for Liverpool having impressed at youth team level in recent seasons. The 18-year-old scored eight goals as the Reds reached the FA Youth Final in 2009.

Swedish winger Alex Kacaniklic was also a member of Liverpool's Youth Cup team in 2009, scoring in the Final against Arsenal. Having joined Liverpool's Academy from Helsingborg in the summer of 2007, Kacaniklic was promoted to Liverpool's Reserve team after two years.

As the Club welcomes two promising future prospects it would like to also thank Paul Konchesky for all his efforts since joining Fulham in the summer of 2007.

Konchesky was an integral member of Fulham's formidable defence in recent years and played a crucial role in the Club's recent Barclays Premier League and UEFA Europa League successes. The Club would like to wish Paul every success for his future with Liverpool FC.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/August/KoncheskyTransfer.aspx#ixzz0yDKt1Lkh

No news of for how long though?

cebu

WN, I do believe that Greening was "undisclosed sum" rather than a free transfer.

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/7972699/Stoke-capture-Eidur-Gudjohnsen-as-part-of-triple-deal-on-deadline-day.html

Stoke capture Eidur Gudjohnsen as part of triple deal on deadline day

Stoke have signed Eidur Gudjohnsen on loan from Monaco, Marc Wilson on a permanent basis from Portsmouth and Jermaine Pennant on loan from Real Zaragoza until January.

By Telegraph staff and agencies

Published: 10:11AM BST 31 Aug 2010

The arrival of former Chelsea and Barcelona forward Gudjohnsen, 31, from Monaco for the season would be a particular coup for Potters boss Tony Pulis.

Gudjohnsen, who spent the latter part of last season on loan with Tottenham, had been pondering a move to join Mark Hughes at Fulham just hours after Stoke had come close to agreeing terms on a similar 12 month deal.

According to reports, Monaco favoured the Fulham move after the club agreed to make a £2 million contribution towards the Icelandic player's salary.

But Stoke eventually rubber-stamped the loan move for Gudjohnsen, just before the transfer deadline passed at 6pm.

Ex-Liverpool winger Pennant agreed a loan deal to stay at the Britannia Stadium until January after a troubled year at Real Zaragoza.

Portsmouth's Wilson joined in a player-plus-cash move that saw Liam Lawrence and Dave Kitson move in the opposite direction.

White Noise

Fulham transfer window ins and outs

Published 22:28 31/08/10

By MirrorFootball

Players in
Philippe Senderos (Arsenal, free)
Jonathan Greening (West Brom, undisclosed)
Moussa Dembele (AZ Alkmaar, undisclosed)
Rafik Halliche (Benfica, undisclosed)
Carlos Salcido (PSV Eindhoven, undisclosed)
Lauri Dalla Valle
Alex Kacaniklic (part exchange, both Liverpool).

Players out
Chris Smalling (Manchester United, £10m)
Erik Nevland (Viking, free)
Elliot Omozusi (Leyton Orient, free)
Stefan Payne (Gillingham, free)
Christopher Buchtmann (Cologne, undisclosed)
Wayne Brown (Bristol Rovers, free)
Toni Kallio (released)
Andranik Teymourian (released)
Paul Konchesky (undisclosed).

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-transfer-window-ins-and-outs-All-the-deals-completed-in-the-summer-window-article569275.html#ixzz0yDz5i6zV

White Noise

Gunners miss out on Schwarzer

Published 23:00 31/08/10

By Football Spy

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger missed out on signing Mark Schwarzer in a £4million deal - as Fulham failed to grab two possible replacement keepers.

The Gunners were turned down by their London rivals despite frantic negotiations about the veteran Australian until the last hour of the window.

Fulham were turned down by Crystal Palace when they made a move for Argentinian Julian Speroni - with the Eagles looking for a £1.5m fee.

And then an attempt to land Brazilian keeper Alexander Doni from Roma on loan for the season could not be done in time, leaving Schwarzer frustrated by the late collapse.

Terms had been sorted out in Italy and an agent was flown to London to finish the move but that failed and Arsenal missed out on their top target.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Arsenal-transfer-news-Gunners-miss-out-on-Mark-Schwarzer-after-Fulham-fail-to-sign-replacement-article569201.html#ixzz0yDzMt6N9

White Noise

Transfer window shuts on lowest last-day spending for years

Published 23:01 31/08/10

By Darren Lewis

The transfer window closed last night after the lowest last-day spending for years.

Spurs made the biggest splash with a dramatic late swoop for Real Madrid's Dutch World Cup star Rafael van der Vaart.

Sunderland were also big spenders with a £15million swoop for Rennes' Ghana striker Asamoah Gyan.

But elsewhere there were slim pickings as clubs fought shy and opted for loan moves over laying out the big bucks.

The lack of action was confirmed by financial analysts Deloitte, who revealed the £350m spent was down £100m from last year.

The total was also the lowest since 2006, when £263m was splashed out. And it followed from ­January's meagre balance of £32m, the lowest laid out on players for seven years of winter windows.

Normally the Deadline Day pacesetters, Manchester City were for once raking in the cash after selling Robinho to AC Milan for £18.2m.

Although Birmingham were among the big winners, their stunning moves for Barcelona's former Arsenal winger Alexander Hleb and Spartak Moscow defender Martin Jiranek were both loan deals.

Stoke pulled off moves for Eidur Gudjohnsen from Monaco, winger Jermaine Pennant from Real Zaragoza and Portsmouth defender Marc Wilson but spent less than the money laid out by Sunderland.

Tony Pulis also managed to keep their highly-rated keeper Asmir Begovic out of the clutches of Chelsea.

Other winners include Wigan who snapped up winger Tom Cleverley from Manchester United and West Ham, who held on to captain Scott Parker and striker Carlton Cole, the subject of a late, failed £9m bid from Liverpool.

Arsenal refused to meet Fulham's £4m valuation for 37-year-old keeper Mark Schwarzer.

Robbie Keane is understood to have missed out on a move to Newcastle after Spurs chairman Daniel Levy demanded a fee for the striker and would not agree to a loan

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-window-shuts-on-lowest-last-day-spending-for-years-down-100m-from-last-year-article569257.html#ixzz0yDzuIEjv

White Noise

White Noise

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/schwarzer_in_running_for_award_553974/index.shtml

Schwarzer In Running For Award

By Kevin Markey Tuesday, 31st August 2010

Professional Footballers Australia (PFA) today announced the shortlists for the 2010 PFA Footballer of the Year and the PFA Harry Kewell Medal for Australia's best player under the age of 23. 

The more than 300 PFA members based in Australia and throughout the world will now vote to determine the winners, who will be announced at the 2010 Australian Football Awards gala in Sydney on 7 October 2010.

The PFA Footballers' Champion Awards are unique in Australian football as they are open to players plying their trade at home and abroad, take into account performances for both club and country and are voted for by the judges all professional footballers most highly regard - their peers.

The shortlists are; 2009/2010 PFA Footballer of the Year - Marco Bresciano, Lazio, Italy (formerly Palermo) - Tim Cahill, Everton FC, England - Jason Culina, Gold Coast United, Australia - Scott Chipperfield, FC Basel, Switzerland - Simon Colosimo, Melbourne Heart, Australia (formerly Sydney FC) - Carlos Hernandez, Melbourne Victory, Australia - Brett Holman, Az Alkmaar, Holland - Josh Kennedy, Nagoya Grampus, Japan - Harry Kewell, Galatasaray, Turkey - Mark Schwarzer, Fulham FC, England - Shane Smeltz, Gold Coast United, Australia - Luke Wilkshire, Dynamo Moscow, Russia

2009/2010 PFA Harry Kewell Medal (U23 PFA Footballer of the Year) - Leigh Broxham, Melbourne Victory, Australia - Ben Kantarovski, Newcastle Jets, Australia - Robbie Kruse, Melbourne Victory, Australia - Mitch Langerak, Borussia Dortmund, Germany (formerly Melbourne Victory) - Matthew Leckie, Adelaide United, Australia - Shane Lowry, Aston Villa, England - Tommy Oar, FC Utrecht, Holland (formerly Brisbane Roar) - Nikita Rukavytsya, Hertha BSC, Germany (formerly FC Twente) - Dario Vidosic, Nuremberg, Germany - Rhys Williams, Middlesbrough Football Club, England.

The shortlists were voted on throughout the 2009/2010 football season at regular sittings of the highly credentialed PFA Awards Committee.

Performances by PFA members in some of the world's best club competitions, the A-League, the FIFA World Cup South Africa and the FIFA U20 World Cup Egypt were all taken into account.

The Australian Football Awards also incorporate the Football Federation Australia (FFA) awards which recognise the entire football family at a professional and non professional level.

The professional category includes FFA Footballer of the Year and FFA U20 Footballer of the Year awards for both men and women, honouring on field excellence and off field professionalism of Australian professional football players. The non professional category includes a team, volunteer, coach and referee award.

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/fulham-coup-dalla-valle-arriving-konchesky-liverpool-swap-1084651?
Fulham coup with Dalla Valle arriving in Konchesky Liverpool swap

Fulham are delighted with their deal for new Liverpool signing Paul Konchesky.

The Cottagers have secured the services of promising youngsters Lauri Dalla Valle and Alex Kacaniklic from Liverpool as part of a cash plus players deal, that has seen Konchesky move to Anfield.

Given the long-term interest of Barcelona and Ajax in Dalla Valle, many believe Fulham have pulled off a coup in negotiations over the multi-player swap.