News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why do we look so frail at the back but scintillating going forward?

Started by Baszab, April 09, 2017, 09:35:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baszab

JoelH5

We're set up to be very attacking and imo only play two out and out defenders each week.

Our wing backs are basically wingers (which I'm not knocking at all, it's the source of most of our goals) so it does leave us quite open.

I was there, standing in the Putney end

Lighthouse

We are set up to go forward. Have poor defenders and an iffy keeper. Have done for seasons and the powers that be have yet to find good players for those positions.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Arthur

Quote from: JoelH5 on April 09, 2017, 09:42:24 AM
Our wing backs are basically wingers (which I'm not knocking at all, it's the source of most of our goals) so it does leave us quite open.

Good point.

It seems to me that Fredericks in particular struggles to cover his ground in the last 15-20 minutes of matches; replacing him with Odoi (when fit) may help.

Allowing for our attacking use of our full-backs, we still seem vulnerable. Derby's opening goal early in the game the other evening illustrates our weakness - even when set up to defend and supposedly concentrating well: we have our back four in position, midfielders in front of them, and yet the Derby left-back can loft the ball from the half-way line and put Nugent in on goal without a Whites' player within 10 yards of him.

Baszab

I think for certain games our set up is too adventurous and comes unstuck - e.g. Derby away - I hope we play a more consolidated formation against Norwich otherwise we could get hammered again

FPT

Where we attack so frequently and dominate the ball, we defend a lot higher up the pitch making us susceptible to the counter; Kevin McDonald will never be the quickest player on the pitch so his inability to cover the pitch quickly doesn't help us either.

Why I would like to try three central defenders is because in those areas you have that guaranteed three, the wide centre backs can pull into the full back areas to help hold up opposition attacks whilst everyone gets back into defensive positions. Problem is, then you're sacrificing an attacking or midfield player; but then I also like the potential of a 343 having the two wide players have a real free role to roam and pick up pockets of space.

Either way, with our attacking style, looking fragile at times is something we have to accept; what we can do is try to limit ourselves to chances given away by ourselves but we're in April now with 5 games left... We shouldn't really still be asking these questions.

J.Perkins

Because we have quality attackers at this level, and defenders who aren't.

Twig

Ideally in our set up the two CB's need pace.  None of ours are particularly quick (and they are all prone to lapses of concentration too).