News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The difference between Tuesday and Saturday in one word - Chris Martin (sic)

Started by abfg, April 08, 2017, 09:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abfg

Having been to both games, it was obvious today that the difference between the performances was Chris Martin, rather a Chris Martin playing like a proper centre forward. We had someone challenging their defenders, linking and making runs off the last shoulder. More importantly we had a direct option that we could play past/over their 4 man high press instead of fannying about at the back too much. Do I think he's the best player in the world? No, but he is the type of player we need; tactically we can't do without. Defensively we weren't any better, on the ball we weren't better, but we were a lot more effective with the attacking opportunities we had. I hope he continues in this vein.

Supermitch

I thought Martin had a very good game today.  Pity about the scuffed shot at the end as IMHO he deserved a goal.

My Fulham MoM

westcliff white

Martin was outstanding today, his link up p,say, his running and his team contribution was fantastic.

Really enjoyed watching him, his passion when the linesman got decisions wrong showed in someways he does care.
Every day is a Fulham day

ffc73

I do not disagree that Chris Martin played well today or that we were better with a no9 on the park but the big difference between last Saturday/ this Saturday and Tuesday night was that Derby punished our defensive frailties whilst Rotherham and Ipswich did not

AlexW132

Quote from: FFC73 on April 08, 2017, 09:58:48 PM
I do not disagree that Chris Martin played well today or that we were better with a no9 on the park but the big difference between last Saturday/ this Saturday and Tuesday night was that Derby punished our defensive frailties whilst Rotherham and Ipswich did not
This is what people don't seem to realise, is that we weren't actually as good as the scoreline showed. Our defense is very weak, and if McGoldrick and Co. had actually rememered how to finish today we would have struggled to get a point.

YankeeJim

Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

abfg

Quote from: AlexW132 on April 08, 2017, 11:14:34 PM
This is what people don't seem to realise, is that we weren't actually as good as the scoreline showed. Our defense is very weak, and if McGoldrick and Co. had actually rememered how to finish today we would have struggled to get a point.

I don't disagree, generally I thought Ipswich were generally poor. But being 2-0 up before they had a real chance always helps! Against Derby we could and should have gone ahead before it went wrong - today we were ahead. By no means a perfect performance, especially defensively, but the reason today was better for me was primarily the centre forward.

abfg

Quote from: YankeeJim on April 08, 2017, 11:25:13 PM
Was Martin the reason or a different back four to go against?

I think that we were able to play in a different way, with a more direct approach when required and also the running off the last man for me meant it was a very different use of the front line tactically. I thought Ipswich were fairly useless, which helps, but the difference was more marked than just that.

RaySmith

GJ and Jamie were really enthusing about him on the commentary - so he seemed important in our victory.

But, of course, he isn't even a Fulham player, and not likely to become one.

Depressing - like a lot of things about us. A feeling that everything is transitory.

So we have done  brilliantly to contend for a play-off place, but  we could well just miss out. Our top players could leave in the summer, even our manager, despite his new contract.
Back to square 1?

Sorry, just feeling a bit down. Shame about Wednesday wining yesterday, but a  great victory for  us yesterday - well done to the team and manager. And we can still make the play-offs!

COYW!

hovewhite

Martin playing like that and he makes a difference he is my MOM .

toshes mate

Spot on.  I thought Martin was better, better than any game he has played for us possibly, but he owes us that, at the very least, and, in deference to WW and others, it really wasn't special.

F(f)CUK

When Martin is interested he should be in the team. We need a player of his type for the balance of our team. Hope we get a good one early in the transfer window.

westcliff white

The big difference was we had someone who could hold the ball and bring people into p,at or take the pressure off, we don't have thst if we don't Use him. What people don't realise is that It all contributes to how the team plays
Every day is a Fulham day

Riverside

2 differences for me
1) Martin yes was one . Played his best game for months and gave the attack real shape
2) Ipswich's attack and finishing were poor . Poorer than our defence where we still have serious problems .

abfg

Quote from: toshes mate on April 09, 2017, 08:29:15 AM

Spot on.  I thought Martin was better, better than any game he has played for us possibly, but he owes us that, at the very least, and, in deference to WW and others, it really wasn't special.

Yes, this too. Nothing special and nothing that many other centre forwards couldn't have done. The point is that tactically, we need that out and out number 9 and having one who did the job pretty well made a massive difference to the team - the difference to the sum of the parts was far greater than the individual performance, if that makes sense.