watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I hope we play more like that in every game

Started by dannyboi-ffc, April 10, 2017, 09:49:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboi-ffc

The possession football is nice on the eye but I found the tactics against Ipswich far more effective. We still played the ball around nicely but we mixed it up. Especially thanks to Betts.

It's so nice having a keeper who can catch the ball from a corner/cross and instantly send it long to release a direct counter attack. With Button it has to go short and the momentum is gone. I thought we played to suit Martin and he responded brilliantly.  We were more aggressive and still as dominant.

I think we got lucky with a few of their misses, on another day they make it 2v1 and we see how much nerve we have. But they didn't and unlike weeks gone by, we took advantage and killed them off.

Betts showed his weakness with the goal at the end but overall I thought the difference he gave us made up for the odd mistake. Plus a couple of great saves to keep us comfortable.

I also (Suprise suprise) felt Madl was a big improvement on Ream. Not because he was perfect, there were times he got out muscled and out paced. But because he isn't the pretty intricate passer that Ream thinks he is, he had a much wider variety to his game and was happy to go long. Again I thought that direct approach suited us.

Whoever plays will always make mistakes because of the way Joka wants them to play. But after Derby and a few other games it was time for a change. Too many goals conceded because we were keeping the ball for the sake of it and allowing teams to force us into mistakes.

Football is a simple game and that's why I feel Madl is better than Ream who over complicates build up play.

I hope Joka sticks with that eleven. For me it looked like a team that could outclass teams but also grind results out. And the latter has been a long time coming.  Also the bench looked strong Button, Ream, Sess, Parker, Kebano, Piazon and Cyriac. There's 5 game changers there with Parkers energy and leadership if needed. And that's without Odoi.

So let's not beat ourselves up over a Wednesday v Newcastle result that we can't control. If we play like that we will beat both Norwich and Villa who now have nothing to play for.

COYW!!!!!
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Andy S

I don't altogether agree as Madl was presumably replace after twice being beaten for pace in a dangerous area. However the guy was quick and later beat Ream as well. But yes we did mix it up a bit and proved that we are not just a one trick pony

bill taylors apprentice

I strongly believe this seasons over passing style is a means to an end.

By that I mean its part of the process of building a successful team, minimising the mistakes of the past and building confidence.

As the personnel develop and new faces come in the style will change with it, less inter passing across the back line and more direct attacking.

Well that's my theory !

vagrant

I really don't think Betts had a lot of choice with his kicking, Ipswich had done their homework and pressed high up the pitch which forced him to kick long.
Having said that, I also thought Martin was excellent, and seemed to enjoy the physical aspects of the match, and is not given enough credit for what he brings to the team.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: vagrant on April 10, 2017, 11:22:41 AM
I really don't think Betts had a lot of choice with his kicking, Ipswich had done their homework and pressed high up the pitch which forced him to kick long.
Having said that, I also thought Martin was excellent, and seemed to enjoy the physical aspects of the match, and is not given enough credit for what he brings to the team.

Difference is Button would either kick it long and give away possession  or continue to play it short and put us under pressure. Bettinelli's distribution  is better so now teams won't know whether to sit or press.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

toshes mate

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on April 10, 2017, 11:28:29 AM
Quote from: vagrant on April 10, 2017, 11:22:41 AM

Difference is Button would either kick it long and give away possession  or continue to play it short and put us under pressure. Bettinelli's distribution  is better so now teams won't know whether to sit or press.

There was one incidence, first half, where Bettinelli was pressured but played a wonderful through ball to Ayite which, on another day, could have been a clear goal chance.  I do not see much difference between Button and Bettinelli overall and both are prone to mistakes, but then, in this Division, who isn't?