watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Matt Targett

Started by Mike the White, June 29, 2019, 11:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike the White

Matt Targett gone to Villa for 14 mil. Always liked him, but 14 big ones ?  Soton do always seem to make big profit on their sales.  We always seem to big losses

brightster

Oh well they wanted 20 mill last year!
I don't think we have lost much on our sales, in fact some Of them have been been over the top.

I Ronic

Would of liked him to have come to us last year but good luck to him at Villa.

bog

Quote from: I Ronic on June 29, 2019, 12:03:53 PM
Would of liked him to have come to us last year but good luck to him at Villa.

+1

hovewhite

Bryan will do fine not worth 14 million.

General

Quote from: brightster on June 29, 2019, 11:43:30 AM
I don't think we have lost much on our sales, in fact some Of them have been been over the top.

There have been quite a few who've walked for little... moussa dembele Jr left for free.. played at Celtic a year and a half and they sold him for over £19 mill to a ligue one side. One of the poor leagues financially.

Patrick Roberts we clearly did well with. Van der saar - considering what he achieved at utd is pretty incredible how little we got.

It'd be interesting to do an in and out post of players suspected fees in and once leaving the club to see what the difference is.

We did really well with the europa league squad but back then out manager had intelligence/nous and got to have a say in transfers.

Murphy for a free seems like a stroke of genius now. Schwarzer similarly.

Tabby

Quote from: General on June 29, 2019, 08:52:13 PM

We did really well with the europa league squad but back then out manager had intelligence/nous and got to have a say in transfers.

Intelligence/nous aren't words I associate with Lawrie Sanchez.

Twig

Quote from: Tabby on June 29, 2019, 09:09:13 PM

Clearly the reference was to Roy H.

toshes mate

Quote from: Twig on June 30, 2019, 07:07:18 AM

Who is an excellent player reader, player negotiator, man manager and a seasoned and well respected football professional.  When they come along FFC do well and when they go we struggle.  The Khans still need potty training on that issue.

Tabby

Quote from: Twig on June 30, 2019, 07:07:18 AM

Murphy was signed during the Sanchez regime. I don't think Hodgson had much to do with it.

Since this thread is about player sales, I don't think that era was very good on that front. We were building the anti-southampton by focusing on getting players in their late 20's and early 30's for cutprice fees on high wages. Then we sold on our big names for pocket change. Only player to be sold for a decent fee between Saha and McCormack was Smalling.

res

Quote from: brightster on June 29, 2019, 11:43:30 AM

There have been quite a few who've walked for little... moussa dembele Jr left for free.. played at Celtic a year and a half and they sold him for over £19 mill to a ligue one side. One of the poor leagues financially.

Patrick Roberts we clearly did well with. Van der saar - considering what he achieved at utd is pretty incredible how little we got.

It'd be interesting to do an in and out post of players suspected fees in and once leaving the club to see what the difference is.

Money you get reflects on a player's contract position. Dembele jnr refused to sign a contract, despite us offering decent terms,  which is why we
only got a compensation fee. Van de Sar reached the end of his contract with everyone knowing he was off to Man. Utd, so he could have left with us receiving nothing; Edwin, being a loyal gentleman (rare in today's "top" footballers) signed a new contract with us with a £2m release clause which was effected within a few days when he signed for Man. Utd. So we got £2m when we could have got nothing.

Over the years we've done OK with outgoing transfers (e.g. Aluko, Malone in recent years, Boa Morte, Bullard in the more distant past). Not so good on ingoing transfers though!

filham

With the benefit of hindsight it is now clear that Fredericks and Targett were key players in that great run in the second part of our promotion season. To lose those two was a blow for us in the Premier league.

Mike the White

So now it's official - he's now Villa player.  Hope he does well< he is a very good player, just wish we could have made his loan permanent

Take Me Home MAF

Quote from: filham on June 30, 2019, 12:42:45 PM
With the benefit of hindsight it is now clear that Fredericks and Targett were key players in that great run in the second part of our promotion season. To lose those two was a blow for us in the Premier league.

Could not agree more.

Bryan looked out of his depth in the PL, he may prove to be a good player next year and based on the fact the Bristol City fans adore him he most possibly will be.

In Targett the club could have signed a player who is comfortable at both levels. He would not have been the difference in keeping us up, but he would have made a difference and held his value.

MikeW

Here we go again: long, slow, unproductive window where we end up with French league imports who can't cut it.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."