watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How relevant is last season ?

Started by Riversider, April 26, 2017, 03:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

My mind must be going because up until last night at work I had completely forgotten the fact that last May Sheffield Wednesday were at Wembley in the play off final against Hull City,
I haven't seen this mentioned yet on any message board and yet it could be very relevant, it was basically the same squad as they have now along with the same manager, so that squad knows what is required to get through the play offs and Wembley Stadium will be familiar to them,
Must be some sort of advantage to them surely, can't see it being a disadvantage!

Andy S

Obviously you would think it would be an advantage however if things start going wrong anywhere in the play off matches a feeling of here we go again comes to mind. If they had any advantage I would have thought it would have been from having a settled squad and hitting the ground running and gaining automatic promotion. That infact is what I would expect from us if we lose out in the play offs

Twig

Quote from: Riversider on April 26, 2017, 03:01:12 PM
My mind must be going because up until last night at work I had completely forgotten the fact that last May Sheffield Wednesday were at Wembley in the play off final against Hull City,
I haven't seen this mentioned yet on any message board and yet it could be very relevant, it was basically the same squad as they have now along with the same manager, so that squad knows what is required to get through the play offs and Wembley Stadium will be familiar to them,
Must be some sort of advantage to them surely, can't see it being a disadvantage!

Or you could argue the squad knows what it takes to lose the final.

filham

So right, the experience of a Wembley final with lots of the same placers would be invaluable to them.
Wednesday are definitely the team we have to fear most.
But this week we must think of nothing other than Brentford, win that match and then we can forget all about the first Wednesday match.

Apprentice to the Maestro

It could also go the other way. They could think that they have been there before and lost.

TC's Sporran

if they get to Wembley their secret weapon or extra man ie the fans,  will easily be silenced by a goal

as in "here we go again"

their team didn't perform last year by their own admission

if they are assured of a play off place it wouldn't surprise me if they made wholesale changes to the team in the last game so as to have an excuse should they lose

a defeat with a full strength side would be too morale sapping