watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

My First Match at the Cottage

Started by PaulUMD, April 25, 2017, 06:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apprentice to the Maestro

Also I would recommend buying a copy of the Fulham fanzine TOOFIF. There are sellers near the Hammersmith turnstiles on the opposite pavement.

jeremyfulham

What a match for your 1st visit, enjoy !

HatterDon

Quote from: PaulUMD on April 27, 2017, 03:54:50 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on April 27, 2017, 05:54:50 AM
Based on your name, I'm guessing you're a fellow Terp. enjoy the day and everything about it. Look for a 6'7" bald dude with a huge booming voice in the Hammersmith End. If you find him, introduce yourself. You will have met perhaps the biggest [in several ways] Fulham supporter of them all.

COYW & Fear the Turtle!

Don, I knew you were a Yank but I didn't know you were a Terp as well!  Now I'm doubly proud!  I actually host a Maryland podcast (http://imsradio.podbean.com) if you're interested.

Your recaps are legendary!

I'll check it out and subscribe!
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

PaulUMD

So I only had about the best day ever.!

The walk over was beautiful and Fulham Palace area and the park and the river are so nice.  Might bring the kids over there to play later this week! 

The ground is unlike most places I've ever been.  It does remind me of Fenway Park in Boston a bit, as its built right into the neighborhood, the tiny turnstiles, etc.  Fenway was built around the turn of the century so that makes sense.  Got good pics of the Haynes and Cohen statues, and was pleased to remember that the Michael Jackson monstrosity was removed a while back.

Hammy End was in full voice all day.  Had a nice chap next to me who was floored that I came all this way for a match, and that this of all games was my first at the Cottage.  He was quite helpful, as on the tele you can never quite tell what the cheers actually are, and he laughed at my attempts at "Come on Fulham" and others with my Yank accent!  And thanks for the tip about the river view and the real ale stand!  Though the queue for halftime was too long, so I veered off to the Guinness stand, and just as I got to the front they ran out of cups.  Don't judge me but after a couple minutes I just grabbed a cup off the ground and handed it to her.  Gotta do what you gotta do sometimes! 

I even caught a ball in the stands in the second half!  Someone put a shot on Bentley that he saved and it went up into H5 and I got it on one bounce.  I honestly didn't know what to do with it.  I figured I could make a run for it but that wouldn't work out well.  Then I wondered if I could pretend to be pregnant, also to no avail.  So I figured there was nothing left to do but heave that thing as far as I could to the corner and I got it most of the way.  Proud of that throw!  Damn near wanted a USA USA chant for that kind of heave! lol  Afterwards I asked by new buddy and anyone else if they got a picture of it, again to no avail.  Oh well, you all and my family will just have to believe me!

Hell, even the tube trip back to Bayswater was well organized and quick.  I literally couldn't have a better experience today, and I have many of you to thank for that.  Also, a thank you to the good people of Leeds!  Thanks for falling apart...again!

What a day.  And we didn't even win.

PokerMatt

Glad you enjoyed the day. There really is nowhere better to watch football.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

Dodger53

What a great read and so glad you had a good day.

alfie

Quote from: VB on April 25, 2017, 07:30:02 PM
Hi, If your walking from Putney (bridge). Walk through Bishop Park, along the river to the ground, it's a lovely walk. The 1st thing your see when entering Bishops Park is the church (St Stevens, I think) it's where they filmed a scene from the film the Omen. If you want to meet other Fulham folk, there's always the Golden Lion, Fulham Palace Rd, or if you walk past the ground towards Hammersmith your come to the Crabtree, for home and away fans. There's lot of other Fulham haunts, hopefully others will put them on here. Ave a goodun
Just for clarification, although a bit late now Golden Lion is in Fulham High Street,  not Fulham P Road
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Holders

With a bit of luck you'll see yourself catching the ball on the highlights.

So glad you had a good day. Coming from the USA even beats cycling from Dorking as I used to as a teenager.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

HatterDon

Glad you had a great day. The comparison's with Fenway are apt, but don't let American Mike hear you mention ANYTHING related to Boston.

I agree with your view of the Fulham supporters. I even had a gentleman ask me if he could get me a cup of tea at half time.

Poker Matt is absolutely correct. There is NO finer venue in the world to watch football. Glad it was all you hoped it would be.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel