1 - 1 Rotherham
QPR
2 - 0 Nottm Forest
Reading
1 - 0 Wigan
Brighton
0 - 1 Bristol City

WhiteJC

Klopp confident of Liverpool signing the next Gareth Bale for bargain £10m – report

Liverpool are confident of beating Tottenham and Everton to the signing of Fulham sensation Ryan Sessegnon this summer, according to a report.

The Sun claim Anfield manager Jurgen Klopp believes he can trump his top-flight rivals to the signature of one of the outstanding young players in English football.

It is said that Sessegnon, 16, is regarded as the next Gareth Bale given the impact he has made since entering the professional game as a flying left-back, the position where the Real Madrid star began his career.

The Sun report that the teenager may cost £10million although any deal is likely to be structured based on his performances.

That fee may prove to be a bargain for the youngster, who is unable to sign professional terms with Fulham until he turns 17 in May.

Sessegnon is so highly rated among his peers that he was last week named in the PFA Championship team of the season despite his tender age.

Liverpool are looking for a long-term solution at left-back who can also provide competition in the short-term for regular James Milner.

Klopp regards strengthening in the position as a priority as he prepares to sell the erratic Alberto Moreno during the summer window.

Sessegnon, who can play at both left-back and on the left wing, has made elite clubs sit up and take notice with his precocious Championship displays this season.

He has scored seven goals from 28 first-team matches in the campaign, including two in Fulham's stunning 3-1 win at Newcastle last month, and also weighed in with three assists, remarkable tallies for a player who is not only foremost a defender but also one who is so young.

Football Insider verdict:

There is not so much a queue to sign Sessegnon, as a stampede. Ridiculously talented and precocious, he would be a marvellous signing for any club whose manager is willing to put his faith in youth and hone them on the training pitch. Liverpool and Sessegnon appear an ideal fit. Klopp is renowned for his development of outstanding young players, and there appears no limit to what Sessegnon can achieve. Fulham have known for some time they have a remarkable young player on their hands and the big boys have been beating a path to the Cottage to try and persuade the youngster to up sticks. A huge sum could still pass hands to push the deal through but, for a team crying out for a long-term left-back option, this could be a fabulous signing for Liverpool.

http://www.footballinsider247.com/klopp-confident-liverpool-nailed-signing-10m-sensation-report/

WhiteJC

On loan Chelsea defender says move away from the Blues would be a "perfect scenario"
Kalas has impressed for Fulham this season, helping them to a playoff spot

Chelsea defender Tomas Kalas believes a move to Fulham would be the "perfect scenario" although he hasn't entirely given up hope of playing for the Blues.

The Czech has enjoyed a successful loan spell at Craven Cottage and could be set for a second successive promotion from the Championship this season following his exploits with Middlesbrough in 2016.

Kalas, who has made 37 appearances for the Cottagers so far in this campaign, has played an important role in Fulham's run to the play-offs under the guidance of former Blues midfielder Slavisa Jovanovic.

The 23-year-old still has a year to run on his contract at Chelsea but it looks like his future could potentially lie two miles away from Stamford Bridge.

Kalas, speaking to our sister site Get West London, said: "I can say we're working on it and we're in touch with Fulham and Chelsea and we are sorting out my situation for next season.

"Getting promoted would help but anyway, everyone knows I would like to stay, not because I wouldn't like to play anywhere else but because I'm playing every game, that's all I need.

"Living in the area where I know, so actually right now it's the perfect scenario for me to stay.

"If I didn't see myself or didn't want to play for Chelsea I wouldn't extend a contract or wouldn't even sign for Chelsea so obviously I'd love to play for them but we know how difficult it is to play for them.

"I prefer to prove myself and prove to everyone I can play at a good level for a certain amount of games to be able to get higher and go into the Chelsea team."

http://www.football.london/chelsea-fc/transfer-news/loan-chelsea-defender-says-move-12962251

WhiteJC

Chelsea man keen on Fulham transfer after successful season at the Cottage

Fulham loan star Tomas Kalas wants to stay with the club next season, even if the club misses out on promotion to the Premier League.

In an article in the Evening Standard, Kalas told BBC Radio London that he is hoping to extend his stay with the Cottagers on a more permanent basis following an excellent season at Craven Cottage.

Kalas said: 'We're in touch with Fulham and Chelsea and we're sorting out my situation for next season. Getting promoted would help, but anyway, everyone knows that I'd like to stay, not because I wouldn't like to play anywhere else but because I'm playing every game and that's all I need'.

The news is certainly set to be a boost for Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic, who will be hoping to secure a playoff place this weekend when the club play Brentford, with the manager knowing full well three points should all but guarantee them a top six spot.

Kalas has been a more or less ever present for the Cottagers this season, who have surprised many by challenging in the upper echelons of the table following the summer losses of Ross McCormack and Moussa Dembele.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/chelsea-man-keen-on-fulham-transfer-after-successful-season-at-the-cottage/

WhiteJC

Fulham set for play-offs despite Brentford draw

Fulham 1 Brentford 1

Dan Bentley's penalty save earned Brentford a share of the spoils in the last west London derby of the season – but Fulham will be in the play-offs barring a mathematical miracle.

Tom Cairney had given Fulham an eighth minute lead, tucking home after Ryan Sessegnon had laid the ball into his path across the penalty area.

But Nico Yennaris levelled for Brentford against the run of play, latching on to Konstantin Kerschbaumer's pass and slotting home.

Cairney was then presented with another opportunity to restore Fulham's lead on the stroke of half-time when Yoann Barbet's woefully mistimed sliding tackle caught Stefan Johansen – but Bentley kept out the spot-kick, the ninth that the Whites have missed this season.

Both goalkeepers were kept busy in an end-to-end second half, but neither could find a breakthrough.

ollowing Fulham's opener, Brenford attempted to respond with Lasse Vibe's shot being turned away by Whites keeper Marcus Bettinelli – chosen once again ahead of ex-Brentford stopper David Button.

Fulham though had further chances – Floyd Ayite saw an effort gathered by Bentley and then blazed wildly over the bar when played through on goal.

So it was somewhat out of the blue when the Bees levelled on 33 minutes, Yennaris showing the composure Ayite had lacked at the other end.

Bentley's penalty save kept the two rivals level at half-time and he denied Cairney again after the break, this time from open play, while Johansen curled wide.

The introduction of Florian Jozefzoon sparked a spell of Brentford pressure and Bettinelli turned away the substitute's shot at his near post, while twice keeping out efforts from Vibe and comfortably saving from Romaine Sawyers.

A big roar from the home fans greeted news that seventh-placed Leeds had drawn 3-3 with Norwich, all-but guaranteeing Fulham a play-off spot – but victory for Sheffield Wednesday means Fulham can finish no higher than sixth.

Fulham: Bettinelli; Fredericks, Kalas, Ream, Malone; McDonald, Johansen; Ayite (Kebano 78), Cairney, Sessegnon (Piazon 59); Aluko.
Subs not used: Button, Odoi, Madl, Parker, Cyriac.

Brentford: Bentley; Clarke, Dean, Barbet, Field; Yennaris, Kerschbaumer (Westbrook 76); Jota, Sawyers, Canos (Jozefzoon 61); Vibe.
Subs not used: Bonham, Bjelland, Egan, Hofmann, Shaibu.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-set-for-play-offs-despite-brentford-draw

WhiteJC

Head Coach Reaction

Slaviša Jokanović was proud of the application and attitude shown by his Fulham side today against Brentford but wants the side to remain fully focused on the Sheffield Wednesday match next weekend.

After taking an early lead through Tom Cairney, the Whites were pegged back by a resolute Brentford outfit and despite an end-to-end encounter the sides played out a 1-1 draw in front of a sell-out crowd at Craven Cottage.

"I must be proud of how my team is working," the Head Coach said in his post-match Press Conference. "We are virtually in the Play-Offs.

"In football many strange things happen.

"I don't expect it to happen next weekend, and sure we can start thinking about Play-Offs.

"But our job in the regular season is still not done, we must rest our body and mind, and prepare ourselves for playing Sunday morning against Sheffield Wednesday.

"For us playing in front of a full stadium is a bonus. We are going to press and try our best to win the game."

Having secured automatic promotion with Watford two years ago Jokanović will potentially be tasting Play-Off football for the first time and is relishing the challenge that this will provide for his side.

"I have never played in the Play-Offs," he reflected. "This is my first experience of this in the competition.

"It's 25% chance for all the teams.

"We are going to play against more quality teams in this competition.

"But at the moment I am thinking only about Sheffield Wednesday because they are the team we are going to play last up this season.

"When it comes to it we have enough experience to play against all the teams in the Championship, but in this moment we are fully focused on our next game.

The clash with Sheffield Wednesday next weekend will take place at a packed Hillsborough, with over 3000 travelling Fulham fans making the trip up to Yorkshire.

The opportunity for Fulham to take part in this match in front of a full house in Sheffield provides the Whites the opportunity to see out the season in style and maintain momentum heading into the Play-0ffs.

"It is always important to have momentum, he insisted. "At the end of the day we are going to play at a historical place like Hillsborough in front of 3000 of our supporters.

"We don't go for a joke, we are going to try and prepare ourselves, be competitive, push hard and try find our style, and try to win the game.

"With this game infront of us we can try push ourselves to a higher level.

"I agree we are in good moment of form, I don't want to and cannot compare it to another team but we play with confidence.

"Some players have played many minutes so we need to try and find the best solution for how are going to play against Sheffield.

"I don't coach only 11 players. The whole squad now is thinking and working in the same direction and we move on to Sheffield Wednesday with confidence."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/april/29/head-coach-brentford-reaction

WhiteJC

Fulham 1-1 Brentford

Fulham all but secured a play-off place despite heroics from goalkeeper Daniel Bentley earning Brentford a draw.

Tom Cairney slotted in from close range to open the scoring after eight minutes but Nico Yennaris equalised against the run of play with an angled finish.

Yoann Barbet's foul on Stephan Johansen gave Cairney a penalty, but Bentley saved his shot and rebound to deny him.

The draw leaves Fulham sixth, three points and 13 goals better off than Leeds, who drew with Norwich.

The results mean Slavisa Jokanovic's side go into their final match of the season against Sheffield Wednesday almost guaranteed a place in the play-offs, with Leeds requiring a 14-goal swing when they play relegated Wigan.

Fulham came into the match on a four-match winning streak and started brightly with Cairney slotting in after eight minutes from Ryan Sessegnon's cutback on the counter-attack.

The hosts were dominant, but Cairney fired over the crossbar from the edge of the area and Floyd Ayite was guilty of poor finishing when he blazed over while one-on-one with Bentley.

Yennaris punished their profligacy, exchanging passes with Konstantin Kerschbaumer before finding the top corner with a well-placed finish.

Ayite sent a free header wide from six yards and Bentley produced two stunning saves to keep Cairney from the spot out as Brentford hung on until half-time.

After the break Bentley made another strong save from Cairney's effort from the edge of the area, while Johansen also curled narrowly wide.

However, Whites' goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli had to be alert to keep out Lasse Vibe and Florian Jozefzoon for Brentford, who drop to 10th.

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic:
"We will start thinking of the play-offs but we must not stand still.

"Are we the team to fear? Yes. We are in good form and we play with confidence. There is no need for us to do too many different things.

"We are not at Wembley right now, we need to be ready to play at Sheffield Wednesday in our final game."

Brentford boss Dean Smith:
"It was a different performance than we have put on in recent weeks. It was fast-flowing and attacking football, but we also had to defend resolutely at times.

"If you have been watching Fulham as an attacking force, they have players full of pace and trickery. It was always going to be tough.

"We are finishing the season well. We didn't want to come here and allow Fulham to have party at our expense. They have made it but with other results.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39675694

WhiteJC

Fulham all but assured play-off spot despite being held to draw by Brentford

Fulham were left frustrated by west London rivals Brentford but a 1-1 draw all but confirmed their Sky Bet Championship play-off spot.

With Leeds also being held, it would need a 13-goal swing on the final day of the season for the Cottagers to miss out.

Tom Cairney opened the scoring for Fulham in the eighth minute before Nico Yennaris hauled Brentford level 11 minutes before half-time.

Fulham laid siege but Cairney had a penalty saved, chances were missed and Brentford goalkeeper Dan Bentley's heroics ensured honours ended even.

Brentford were the league's highest scorers this calendar year and that took some beating against a Fulham side who themselves scored goals for fun.

That was evident when the hosts took an eighth-minute lead via Cairney. A slick interchange saw Sone Aluko feed Ryan Sessegnon, who bore down on goal and unselfishly picked out Cairney for the simple task of stroking home his 12th goal of the season.

The ease with which Brentford were cut open will have worried the large contingent of travelling supporters, who will have been relieved to see Cairney fire over after more neat work involving Sessegnon.

This was anything but a cagey derby. Lasse Vibe brought a flying save out of Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli in the 12th minute of an already absorbing game.

Fulham could, and should, have extended their lead through Floyd Ayite after 24 minutes. After beating the offside trap following Scott Malone's pass, Ayite advanced before somehow lifting the ball high and wide.

Brentford were being run ragged but, against the run of play, they levelled through Yennaris with 34 minutes on the clock. Konstantin Kerschbaumer found space to send Yennaris through and the midfielder made no mistake from 20 yards.

The home team should have restored their lead after 41 minutes with Ayite once again the guilty man. Ryan Fredericks showed great energy before delivering a inch-perfect cross for Ayite to plant his header narrowly wide of Bentley's right post.

Fulham then missed another chance to extend their lead from the penalty spot on the stroke of half-time. Referee Darren Bond took his time before correctly awarding the spot-kick after Yohann Barbet hauled down Stefan Johansen.

But the Cottagers, for a staggering ninth time this term, failed from 12 yards as Cairney was denied by Bentley, who also pounced on the rebound for good measure .

Bentley continued to frustrate Fulham as he tipped over Cairney's 25-yard effort early in the second half.

Johansen saw his long-range strike drift agonisingly wide as Brentford were once again pegged back. It seemed a matter of time as Malone blazed over.

Brentford fought back as Vibe's mazy run and shot brought a low save out of Bettinelli to remind Fulham that they posed a threat at the other end. Substitute Florian Jozefzoon also had an effort moments later, but the game drifted to a draw.

https://www.clubcall.com/fulham/fulham-all-but-assured-play-off-spot-despite-being-held-to-d-1850103.html

WhiteJC

Fulham 1-1 Brentford: Cottagers all but secure play-off place despite failing to win west London derby

Brentford held Fulham to a hard-fought draw at Craven Cottage on Saturday
    Tom Cairney opened the scoring for the hosts after just eight minutes
    Brentford levelled through Nico Yennaris shortly after the half-hour mark
    Cairney then missed a penalty but Slavisa Jokanovic's side held on for a point

Slavisa Jokanovic informed Fulham fans that his players would not be doing the traditional end- of-season lap of honour after this match.

Such was his confidence they would get the job done and book their play-off place, making this merely the season's penultimate home game. In the end, his faith was not misplaced, but is was far from the comfortable afternoon he imagined.

With Brentford determined to spoil the party and play-off rivals Leeds United fighting back improbably from three down to draw with Norwich City, Craven Cottage was riddled with nerves.

Fulham drew with Brentford in a west London derby at Craven Cottage on Saturday afternoon

Tom Cairney opened the scoring for Fulham just eight minutes into the Championship match

Brentford hit back through Nico Yennaris midway through the first half

Cairney missed the chance to score his second when Daniel Bentley kept out his penalty

Slavisa Jokanovic's side held out to claim a vital point in their pursuit of a play-off spot

A 1-1 scoreline was just about enough. With Fulham three points ahead of Leeds entering next Sunday's final round of Championship matches and their goal difference so superior, the Yorkshire side require a 14-goal swing to deny them.

It looked like Jokanovic's side would stroll to victory when Tom Cairney opened the scoring after just eight minutes, but in-form Brentford levelled through Nico Yennaris. If Cairney had converted a penalty just before half-time, we might have been spared a nail-biting second half of Fulham failing to capitalise on their dominance of possession and Brentford counter-attacking.

There was an outpouring of relief among the home fans as news filtered through to mobile phones that Leeds had not found a winner in seven minutes of stoppage time. A relieved Jokanovic said of their play-off chances: 'It is 25 per cent for all the teams, you will play against quality teams and you are going to start the most important part of the competition when we start the play-offs.

Cairney handed the hosts the lead with a well-placed finish just minutes into the match

Fulham defender Tim Ream pumps his fist in celebration after Cairney's opening goal

Brentford levelled the scores against the run of play through midfielder Yennaris

Yennaris is surrounded by his team-mates after scoring the equaliser at Craven Cottage

'We are in good form and we play with confidence. We must not stand still.'

Strangely, there was no trace of nerves early on as Sone Aluko dissected the Brentford defence and set 16-year-old dynamo Ryan Sessegnon clear. The teenager had time to glance and pulled the ball back to Cairney, who slotted home his 12th of the season. Floyd Ayite went clear, but spurned an opportunity to double the lead as the blasted his shot over. Brentford threatened on the counter and equalised when Yennaris drove forward, traded passes with Konstantin Kerschbaumer and fired home.

Fulham were frustrated but they came again and, on the stroke of half-time, were awarded a penalty. Cairney's spot-kick was low but Daniel Bentley guessed correctly to save. The second half was tense, with Fulham dominating but lacking a cutting edge, and Brentford threatening to spoil on the counter.

Cairney and Malone forced Bentley into action, while Fulham's Marcus Bettinelli saved well from Lasse Vibe and Florian Jozefzoon. A point was satisfactory.

Brentford boss Dean Smith said: 'We didn't want to allow them a party on our expense. I'm pleased to come here and get a point.'

Fulham were awarded a penalty before half-time but Bentley saved Cairney's spot-kick

Bentley also kept out an effort from Scott Malone as Fulham pushed to retake the lead

The Cottagers held on to claim a vital point in their pursuit of the play-off places

Fulham are all but guaranteed a place in the play-offs thanks to their superior goal difference

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4458630/Fulham-1-1-Brentford-Cottagers-secure-play-place.html#ixzz4fiKdtpxA
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Play-Off Dates

Following Fulham effectively securing a place in the Sky Bet Championship Play-Off places, subject to a goal difference swing, please see below for potential Semi-Final dates.

The first leg of one Semi-Final will be played on Saturday 13th May (5pm), with the other Semi kicking off at 12pm the following day.

The second legs will then take place on Tuesday 16th and Wednesday 17th, respectively, both at 7.45pm.

Third place will face sixth, while fourth takes on fifth. Third and fourth will be away from home first, but who plays on which day is yet to be determined.

There will be an extremely limited number of tickets available for away teams for their respective away legs in the Play-Off Semi Final.

Date confirmation and ticket information will be released in due course.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/april/29/play-off-dates

WhiteJC

Smith pleased after Bees take point at Fulham

Dean Smith was proud Brentford did not give Fulham a party at his side's expense in the Bees' penultimate game of the season.

Brentford drew 1-1 in the west London derby at Fulham, who all but mathematically secured a play-off spot with a point.

Nico Yennaris' goal cancelled out Tom Cairney's early opener, with Bees keeper Dan Bentley saving the Fulham captain's penalty on the stroke of half-time

Smith said: "We didn't want to come here and allow Fulham to have a party at our expense.

"They've made the play-offs but because of other results.

"The players gave everything today and we are finishing the season really well. I'm really pleased to come here and be unbeaten.

"It was a different kind of performance from us. It's been fast attacking football in recent weeks.

"Fulham dominated possession but I thought as a defensive unit we did well."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/brentford/didnt-want-fulham-party-expense-brentford-boss

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Jokanovic ready for play-offs

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic said he was proud of his players as they look destined for the play-offs – and suggested he might freshen up his squad for the final league game at Sheffield Wednesday.

Tom Cairney scored – but also missed a penalty – as the Whites were held 1-1 by Brentford in the final west London derby of the season.

But Leeds' 3-3 draw with Norwich means they remained three points adrift and needing a 13-goal swing to overhaul Fulham.

Jokanovic said: "In football, many strange things happen but I don't expect it will happen next weekend.

"We will start thinking about the play-off games but our job in the regular part of the season is not done.

"We must rest our bodies and minds and prepare ourselves for the game against Sheffield Wednesday.

"We must think about what is the best option for ourselves. Some players have played so many minutes and we are going to try to find what is the best solution for this game.

"From another side, I don't coach only 11 players. All the squad is working in the same direction and if I make some changes, I am fully expecting they will do a similar job to those who started in the last few games."

Jokanovic added he gave instructions to his team to see out a draw in injury-time when he heard Leeds were not winning.

He said: "We had information about the Leeds game and when we started injury time, we decided to finish the game without taking unnecessary risks.

"I can be proud of how the team followed our plan. We created many things, we did not finish some, we make one mistake they punish us hard.

"I can be partly satisfied. I cannot be satisfied with the result but from another side, this is what I ordered my players to do during the game."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-boss-proud-players-hints-changes-sheffield-wednesday-game

WhiteJC

Fulham Result Is Dagger In Our Hearts – Leeds United Boss Garry Monk

Garry Monk admits that Fulham's dropped points is a dagger in the heart for Leeds United, after the Whites could only draw 3-3 at home against Norwich City, while the Cottagers drew 1-1 with Brentford at Craven Cottage.

Leeds went into the afternoon's Championship games sitting three points behind six placed Fulham, but knowing that due to the Cottagers' superior goal difference a Fulham win would end their hopes of making the playoffs.

But as Fulham toiled against Brentford, Leeds had their own issues and astonishingly were 3-0 down at Elland Road by the 45th minute.

A Chris Wood goal on the stroke of half time gave the Whites hope, while the comeback was then completed by further goals from Kyle Bartley and Pablo Hernandez in the second half.

Leeds though could not get the winner, which let Fulham off the hook as they could only draw 1-1 with Brentford.

As such, barring an unlikely huge goal difference swing, Fulham will remain sixth regardless of next weekend's final day results and Monk admits it is tough to take.

"They never lie down and die – that's our mentality. As a manager, you want your mentality to come through – and we've gelled it together", the Whites boss told BBC Radio Leeds.

"This last hurdle – obviously, it's real disappointment.

"It hurts, and the real dagger in the heart is that Fulham drew, as well. We could have taken it to the last game", he added.

Monk, whose side have crumbled from looking assured of a playoff spot, pushed down the league standings with a run of two wins in their last nine games, believes that his current group just were not ready to compete at the business end.

"I'm disappointed with this period, with the last seven or eight games, and I think today's probably typified that.

"What's been clear from it is there have been so many positives – this team have given so much and given this club so much to be proud of – but this situation, the playoffs, has probably come too soon.

"It's not a criticism – I just think it's clear in this period that we're not quite ready yet.

"The point of this period is to build those foundations and give them an even better platform going forward", he added.

Leeds will finish their 2016/17 campaign with a trip to take on Wigan Athletic at the DW Stadium next weekend.

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2017/04/29/fulham-result-is-dagger-in-our-hearts-leeds-united-boss-garry-monk/335114/

WhiteJC

Fulham all but secure play-off spot with Brentford draw
by Dan on April 29, 2017

Slavisa Jokanovic had banned the end-of-season lap of honour ahead of this west London derby, eschewing English football's traditions in favour of an example of the arch-pragmatism that has carried Fulham towards the Championship's top six after a sensational post-Christmas run. You couldn't fault his logic that there was nothing to celebrate yet – and that the Serbian hoped to pay tribute to the supporters after another home fixture – and Jokanovic was still trying to deny that the Whites had wrapped up a play-off spot after a pulsating draw that leaves Leeds needing the sort of final-day swing psephologists only dream of. But there was a hint of a smile – half an acknowledgement that Fulham were very close indeed.

This game was a microcosm of Fulham's exhilarating season. Jokanovic has built a side totally unrecognisable to the ones that have ended their past two Championship campaigns scrapping for their lives at the foot of the table, taught to pass the ball patiently around their opponents and containing players who now fully subscribe to the club's adventurous way of playing. They haven't been clinical enough to seal automatic promotion or threaten the top six until the season's closing weeks – Floyd Ayite spurned two glorious first half chances and skipper Tom Cairney – squandered another penalty – but such was their confidence on the ball that you fancied another opening was just around the corner.

That the home side didn't built on the impetus provided by Cairney's terrifically taken eighth minute opener was credit to Dean Smith's visitors. Brentford, despite having little besides their role of local party poopers to play for, didn't take the easy option and plant men behind the ball. They came to play as well, confident in their own expansive game, after Smith's side had strung together a succession of excellent results – and the Bees might have extended their own fine recent record at Craven Cottage in the final quarter had Marcus Bettinelli not produced a number of fine saves.

This was an open, attractive game virtually free of the usual niggle that accompanies local derbies. Fulham opened the scoring from their first real attack, with the energetic Sone Aluko sending Ryan Sessegnon clear with a fabulous through ball. The sixteen-year-old, one of the sensations of the season, did superbly to keep his composure and pick out Cairney with a measured cut-back – and the former Blackburn Rovers midfielder finished flawlessly to put the Whites ahead. Cairney was soon testing the Brentford defence again, bending one effort over the bar and seeing another goalbound strike diverted away from the net.

Ayite won't want to be reminded of his profligacy in front of goal. The Togolese winger, operating as a lone forward in place of the suspended Chris Martin, wastefully drilled a one-one-one high into the Putney End after being sent clear by Scott Malone's superb pass and then sent a free header wide of the target. Brentford, meanwhile, were gradually getting a foothold back into the contest. Bettinelli had smartly saved Lasse Vibe's snapshot and Jota, a regular thorn in Fulham's side in recent years, was dropping into dangerous areas but it still came as something of a surprise when the Bees equalised.

The Brentford goal might have come from generous Fulham defending, but the exquisite nature of their interplay during a lightning counter-attack has to be commended. Nico Yennaris drove forward from a deep position and swapped probing passes with Konstantin Kerschbaumer on the edge of the box, bursting into the penalty area between Fulham defenders, before unleashing a rising and unstoppable shot into the top right corner. It was a fine strike – and the defensive midfielder's desire to carry an attacking threat fully merited his stunning intervention.

Jokanovic's side still had a guilt-edged chance to end the half in front, however, when the lively Ayite was crudely chopped down in the box by Yoann Barbet. Cairney had scored two successive penalties in recent weeks but it wasn't third time lucky as Dan Bentley guessed correctly and, not only made a fine reaction save low to his left, but bravely threw himself in smother the rebound as the Fulham captain dived in to try and tuck home the loose ball.

The second half continued in much the same manner. Two Cairney curlers were brilliantly repelled by the excellent Bentley before Johansen bent an effort fractionally wide from just outside the box. Malone surged forward down the left, first almost catching the Brentford goalkeeper unawares with an overhit cross, before slipping in Aluko, but the Nigerian failed to both keep his feet or prod the ball past Bentley. Fulham lost a bit of forward momentum when Lucas Piazon replaced Sessegnon and Brentford's best spell of the game almost delivered a gamechanger at the other end.

The never tiring Vibe tormented an otherwise exemplary Tim Ream before his deflected shot was pushed away by Bettinelli and the Fulham academy graduate also got down well to parry substitute Florian Jozefzoon's effort after he had wriggled his way into the box. Bettinelli then used his feet to turn away another Vibe effort – and, as Leeds mounted what seemed like a momentous comeback from 3-0 down against Norwich, the Craven Cottage faithful became increasingly anxious.

Neither side could find a winner – and Cairney's relief on hearing the Hammersmith End's huge roar that greeted the final whistle at Elland Road was palpable. Jokanovic can now rotate his squad for what becomes something of a dead rubber rather than a high noon shootout with Sheffield Wednesday on Sunday – but the streetwise Serbian will still have a few more tricks up his sleeve.

FULHAM (4-1-2-3): Bettinelli; Fredericks, Malone, Kalas, Ream; McDonald; Cairney, Johansen; Aluko, Sessegnon (Piazon 59), Ayite (Kebano 79). Subs (not used): Button, Odoi, Madl, Parker, Cyriac.

BOOKED: Johansen.

GOAL: Cairney (8).

BRENTFORD (4-2-3-1): Bentley; Clarke, Field, Barbet, Dean; Yennaris, Kerschbaumer (Westbrooke 76); Jota, Canos (Jozefzoon 61); Vibe. Subs (not used): Bonham, Egan, Bjelland, Shaibu, Hofmann.

GOAL: Yennaris (33).

REFEREE: Darren Bond (Lancashire).

ATTENDANCE: 25,594.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/04/fulham-all-but-secure-play-off-spot-with-brentford-draw/

WhiteJC

It's Brutal, We Were Miles Ahead of Fulham – Former Leeds United Star Bemoans Collapse

Leeds United legend Eddie Gray has bemoaned the brutal nature of football after the Whites lost the chance to finish above Fulham in the Championship table after playing out a 3-3 draw with Norwich City at Elland Road.

Garry Monk's men were spying an opportunity to take the race to finish in sixth place to the final matchday next weekend and saw a chance with Fulham struggling to beat Brentford.

But despite Leeds fighting back from three goals down to 3-3, they could not find a winner, meaning even though Fulham drew 1-1 with Brentford, they are now set to miss out on the playoffs as the Cottagers' boast a three-point lead and a goal difference of plus 27, while Leeds' is plus 14.

And Gray has bemoaned Leeds' fate, noting until recently they were miles ahead of Fulham; Leeds fans were openly thinking about pushing for automatic promotion.

"Football is brutal", Gray said on LUTV.

"We were so far clear of Fulham that everybody thought it was over."

He also feels Leeds' mentality might have been different if they had been the team doing the chasing rather than being the side chased.

"If we had come from the back and been behind all the teams, but when you're sitting there fourth, four weeks ago, you think you're in it.

"But fair play to the other teams. When the crunch came they got results and we didn't manage to get results."

Leeds form slump has been an astonishing slip at a crucial time of the season, with the Whites taking just nine points from their last nine league matches.

Fulham have taken 17 from their last nine, while Sheffield Wednesday have collected 19; Reading have 18.

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2017/04/29/its-brutal-we-were-miles-ahead-of-fulham-former-leeds-united-star-bemoans-collapse/335137/

WhiteJC

Focus on Sheffield Wednesday, urges Jokanovic
by Dan on April 30, 2017

Slavisa Jokanovic has urged his Fulham players to focus entirely on the final game of the season at Sheffield Wednesday – even though the Whites are virtually assured of a play-off place after yesterday's 1-1 with Brentford.

The Fulham boss saw his side edge ever closer to a top six place after they matched Leeds' result yesterday and he doesn't expect a monumental goal swing on the final day of the season.

I must be proud of how my team is working. We are virtually in the play-offs. In football many strange things happen. I don't expect it to happen next weekend, and sure we can start thinking about the play-offs.

But our job in the regular season is still not done, we must rest our body and mind, and prepare ourselves for playing Sunday morning against Sheffield Wednesday. For us playing in front of a full stadium is a bonus. We are going to press and try our best to win the game.

The Serbian head coach, who took Watford to automatic promotion two seasons ago, is looking forward to his first taste of the unique drama of the play-offs.

I have never played in the play-offs. This is my first experience of this in the competition. It's 25% chance for all the teams. We are going to play against more quality teams in this competition.

But at the moment I am thinking only about Sheffield Wednesday because they are the team we are going to play last up this season. When it comes to it we have enough experience to play against all the teams in the Championship, but in this moment we are fully focused on our next game.

Jokanovic wants his side to enter the play-offs in good heart – ideally after a win at Hillsborough. He also hinted that could rotate his squad for the trip to Sheffield Wednesday next Sunday.

It is always important to have momentum. At the end of the day we are going to play at a historical place like Hillsborough in front of 3000 of our supporters. We don't go for a joke, we are going to try and prepare ourselves, be competitive, push hard and try find our style, and try to win the game. With this game in front of us we can try push ourselves to a higher level.

I agree we are in good moment of form, I don't want to and cannot compare it to another team but we play with confidence. Some players have played many minutes so we need to try and find the best solution for how are going to play against Sheffield [Wednesday]. I don't coach only 11 players. The whole squad now is thinking and working in the same direction and we move on to Sheffield Wednesday with confidence.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/04/focus-on-sheffield-wednesday-urges-jokanovic/