watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (05.09.10)

Started by White Noise, September 05, 2010, 06:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2010/09/05/bobby-zamora-yet-to-be-offered-new-deal-by-fulham-despite-liverpool-and-birmingham-city-interest-102039-22537563/

Bobby Zamora yet to be offered new deal by Fulham – despite Liverpool and Birmingham City interest

Sep 5 2010

by Dave Kidd, The People

BOBBY ZAMORA has yet to be offered a new deal at Fulham – despite a serious bid from Liverpool before the transfer window shut last week.

The England striker is still on a £25,000-a-week deal – a long way from being the west London club's highest earner. But substantial offers from Liverpool's former Fulham boss Roy Hodgson and Birmingham chief Alex McLeish have yet to prompt the Craven Cottage board to open contract talks.

Zamora's current deal runs to 2012 and Hodgson is certain to re-ignite his interest in Zamora in the January transfer window, if he isn't tied to a new one.Fulham had agreed to sell Zamora to Hull for £5million last summer but the player stayed and was instrumental in the run to the Europa League Final.

He won his first England cap against Hungary last month but is out of Fabio Capello's squad for the Bulgaria and Switzerland games through injury.

Zamora, 29, is Hodgson's first choice to bolster Liverpool's forward line – with West Ham's Carlton Cole a fall-back option.

Hodgson almost nabbed Cole in a swap deal with Ryan Babel – as revealed by People Sport last week – but the Dutchman insisted he would only go to Upton Park on loan.

Babel also turned down a loan move to Tottenham.

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2010/09/05/greeks-bore-gifts-for-english-killer-matt-derbyshire-102039-22537468/

Greek giants Olympiakos bore gifts for 'English Killer' Matt Derbyshire

Sep 5 2010

by David Kidd, The People

WHEN Matt Derbyshire was at the airport on his way to join Greek giants Olympiakos, his agent's phone rang, offering him a move to Fulham ­instead.

Most English footballers would have headed for Craven Cottage. The vast majority would probably have never been booked on that flight to Athens in the first place.

But England Under-21 striker Derbyshire took the plunge ... and has returned to England 18 months later, ­having won the Greek League and Cup double, played in the Champions League, trained under the great Zico and ­netted the winner in one of the fiercest derbies in world football.

And while he is happy to be back on a season-long loan at Birmingham City, Derbyshire insists he would recommend a move abroad to any English player. While two-thirds of Premier League players are ­foreigners, and top-flight opportunities limited for many homegrown players, ­precious few English footballers ever venture overseas.

But Derbyshire, 24, is adamant that he didn't think twice about the ­opportunity, despite being the father of young twin boys.

He said: "I'm open to ­anything. Football is only a short career and I want to experience everything I can. I was born in Blackburn, watched them as a kid, played for them.

"So, of course, going from my hometown club to play abroad was a massive step. It would have been a safer ­option to stay in the Premier League.

''I could have gone to Fulham but suddenly I had the chance to play in the Champions League and win medals – my bags were packed and I wasn't going to change my mind.

"Going abroad is a massive jump for any player. There are so many things that can get in the way of being successful – the language barrier, the different footballing culture.

"But it was January in Blackburn and I told the wife she could be living in the sun every day – so, of course, she was happy!

"It's strange that more English players don't go abroad when opportunities might be ­limited here.

"It all ­depends on what you want from football. I wanted that experience of living abroad and also of playing in the Champions League. The way my career has developed is very different to most English lads.

"The experience of seeing outside the box, outside of the Premier League, can only be good for you.

"And you can't buy the experience of winning the league, playing in the cup final in front of 80,000 people."

Derbyshire was on an initial loan agreement at Olympiakos when he became a cult hero with the club's fanatical fans by coming off the bench to score twice in the 2009 Greek Cup Final against AEK Athens.

He even knocked himself out scoring a last-gasp equaliser and had to leave the field with ­concussion ­before Olympiakos won 15-14 in an epic penalty shoot-out after a 4-4 draw.

Derbyshire was then dubbed The English Killer – an unlikely nickname for a slender, likeable Lancashire lad.

He said: "About three-quarters of the population of Athens are Olympiakos fans, and I'd go to an awful lot of restaurants where people offered to pay for my dinner.

"That cup final was absolutely ­unbelievable, and the celebrations went on for weeks.

"Then there was the Olympiakos-Panathinaikos derby, which is such a fierce rivalry. When I scored the ­winner away from home against them, we got back to our training ground and it was mobbed with thousands of fans."

While Derbyshire's Greek odyssey was an overwhelmingly positive move, he admits there were problems – not least the turnover of managers.

He said: "The club went through six managers in 18 months when I was there. One of them was Zico, a very nice man, perhaps a bit too nice for his own good ... but he could still bend in a great free-kick in training!

"The mentality of the way the English game is played is very ­different. Training has to be full-on every day here, which isn't always the case in Greece.

"You train at 8am and 9pm because of the hot weather and the players don't go out at all – the fans don't like seeing players out, especially if things aren't going well.

"It wasn't a problem for me, with a wife and young kids, but the Greek and English ­attitudes are totally different. If the team are playing poorly, and you are seen out drinking, it is not good at all. After winning the league and cup, they were about the only two ­occasions we went out."

Derbyshire added: "I would like to make it a ­permanent deal at Birmingham. I've settled in well here, I love the place and I've found Alex McLeish is a very ­approachable manager.

"When I was in Greece, of course, I had moments when I thought 'what am I doing? I shouldn't be here'.

''But stepping back and ­looking at it all, it was a fantastic experience. And I am still an Olympiakos player, so I may go back.

"And I would tell any player 'why not go abroad?' because you don't have long as a ­ professional ­footballer. You can experience much more than you do by just playing in England."

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/football-hotline/2010/09/05/fulham-boss-mark-hughes-still-chasing-crystal-palace-s-julian-speroni-102039-22537457/

Fulham boss Mark Hughes still chasing Crystal Palace's Julian Speroni

Sep 5 2010

by Alan Nixon, The People

Fulham boss Mark Hughes still wants Crystal Palace keeper Julian Speroni, 31, as Arsenal target Mark Schwarzer's long-term replacement.

Hughes will try again in January after missing out on deadline day because Palace wanted £2million for the Argentinian.

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/941973/ETUHU-AWARE-OF-MOVE-OPTIONS.html

ETUHU AWARE OF MOVE OPTIONS

Midfielder awaiting contract offer

By Steve Lillis, 04/09/2010

DICKSON ETUHU has broken his silence over the contract row which has cast doubt over his Fulham future.

The Nigerian World Cup star is in the final year of his current Craven Cottage contract, but new boss Mark Hughes has not opened talks on extending his stay.

And Etuhu believes there are a string of clubs waiting in the wings. The 28-year-old said: "It's a question of wait and see, and I'm not the only one with only a year left on my contract.

"There are at least another five of us, and of course, knowing what the future holds is a way of getting security for your family."

The midfield powerhouse, who can start talking with other clubs early next year, added: "Maybe another door would open. Not just one in my opinion, but a hotel full of doors I believe.

"According to my brother who played under the manager at Manchester City, my type of game suits his style - but that still doesn't give me an automatic place."

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/942163/Liverpool-missed-out-on-four-striking-targets.html

REDS TO REVIVE GOMEZ INTEREST

Reds missed out on four targets

By Chris Bascombe

LIVERPOOL will revive their interest in Bayern Munich striker Mario Gomez in January.

Roy Hodgson suffered deadline day frustration when he missed out on four striking targets despite frantic efforts to recruit cover for Fernando Torres.

Bayern's Gomez was heading to Anfield on loan with a view to a £20m permanent deal in the summer.

But the German club's supremo Karl-Heinz Rummenigge pulled the plug following a weekend defeat to Kaiserslautern.

That left Hodgson just 48 hours to switch his focus when £9m bids for West Ham's Carlton Cole, Wolves' Kevin Doyle and Fulham's Bobby Zamora were rebuffed.

Hodgson must now wait until in the New Year when he hopes to not only have the remainder of his unspent transfer kitty from this summer, but also fresh funds from new owners.

He's hopeful Bayern will change their stance on Gomez in a few months.

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/942027/SULLIVAN-BLASTS-HAMMERS-LAYABOUTS.html

Sullivan is so confident of Grant's team eventually finding their feet, he confessed he is happy to virtually write off another THREE league games before he considers the season to have truly begun.

By then it will be October and the Hammers could have played a month and a half of the league.

But Sullivan said: "You can't judge a team after three games. It's very premature. When you're building something it takes time and there have been changes at all levels.

"The next three games are very, very tough. Chelsea at home, Stoke who are particularly good on their own ground and Tottenham at home.

"Three tough games and then the season really starts with the Fulham game on October 2. But I hope to surprise a few people against Chelsea, Stoke or Tottenham.

White Noise

White Noise

Robbie Keane fit for Ireland's Euro qualifier against Andorra

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 12:56 PM on 4th September 2010

Republic of Ireland skipper Robbie Keane is fit for Tuesday night's Euro 2012 qualifier against Andorra after he suffered no reaction to his knee injury in Armenia.

The 30-year-old striker, who has been struggling with the problem, was substituted shortly after Keith Fahey's winning goal at the Yerevan Republican Stadium.

However, manager Giovanni Trapattoni revealed today that he took him off simply as a precaution.

He said: 'I gave him a little bit of a rest because he had, not an injury, but some pain and I wanted to be cautious about it.'

Meanwhile, Ipswich defender Darren O'Dea was expected to resume training on Saturday after recovering from a sprained knee, while Hull counterpart Paul McShane has rejoined the squad after missing the Armenia game with a hamstring problem.

However, Fulham winger Damien Duff remains sidelined by a calf strain.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1308973/Robbie-Keane-fit-Irelands-Euro-qualifier-Andorra.html#ixzz0yaSGjTj2

White Noise

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/fulham-assistant-boss-takes-the-gmf-hot-seat

Fulham assistant boss takes the GMF hot seat

Mark Bowen is confident he and Mark Hughes will get it right at the Cottage

By Mark Shail  September 02, 2010

Since hanging up his boots in 1999, Mark Bowen has worked alongside his former Welsh teammate Mark Hughes as assistant manager with Wales, Blackburn, Manchester City and most recently Fulham.

As a player, the 46-year-old wore the colours of Spurs, Norwich, West Ham, Charlton, Wigan and Reading as well as winning 41 caps for his country.

Fulham have made a decent start to the campaign, unbeaten in their first three games, and givemefootball logged the thoughts of Bowen as we head into the international break.

YOU MUST BE PLEASED THAT FULHAM MANAGED TO KEEP HOLD OF EXPERIENCED GOALKEEPER MARK SCHWARZER?

Mark spoke to Mark Hughes and we all know there was interest in him but it was only going to be considered if we could get in a goalkeeper of the quality of Mark Schwarzer as a replacement.

They had a lot of discussions and he (Schwarzer) said how he felt so we looked at the market place but, ultimately, it wasn't an option for us in the end.

FULHAM HAVE HAD A COUPLE OF 2-2 DRAWS SO FAR THIS SEASON – INCLUDING ONE AGAINST MANCHESTER UNITED - DO YOU FEEL LIKE YOU'VE DROPPED POINTS?

We've had a decent start when you consider the fixtures so far. We have had two away games and got a win against Man City and drawn with United and Blackpool.

In fact, perhaps we should have got more points on the board but we haven't lost a game yet and we feel we are set fair for a good season. You could see against United that we have some good players at this club.

WHAT IS THE LATEST ON STRIKER BOBBY ZAMORA - HAS HE SIGNED A NEW CONTRACT WITH THE CLUB?

What I know is that he is currently in discussions with the club over a possible new deal. It has been ongoing for a few months and obviously way before Mark and I came in.

But my understanding is that we are hopeful that Bobby will agree a long-term contract with the club.

DESPITE FULHAM'S SUCCESSFUL SEASON LAST TERM, THEY ACTUALLY WON JUST ONE GAME AWAY FROM HOME – THAT MUST BE A STAT YOU ARE LOOKING TO IMPROVE?

Mark has touched on it in some of his press conferences already that to push this club even further forward we need to improve the away form.

We've looked solid and hard to beat in our two away games so far, but, at the same time, we have to be stronger and more resolute on the road - coming away with three points some times as opposed to one or none at all.

WALES BEGIN THEIR EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIP QUALIFICATION CAMPAIGN AGAINST MONTENEGRO TOMORROW – WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS AHEAD OF THAT GAME?

Well, they have to get off to a good start tomorrow night and Montenegro could be the ideal opener for them.

It's going to be difficult but I'm sure John Toshack will be looking to put some points on the board and make a good start to the group.

White Noise

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/fulham_miss_out_on_bentley_555021/index.shtml

Fulham Miss Out On Bentley

By Kevin Markey Saturday, 4th September 2010

Tottenham winger David Bentley was all set to join Fulham on-loan on Tuesday, it has been revealed.

talkSPORT state that Bentley's proposed loan move to Fulham fell through because Tottenham thought they had missed out on Rafael van der Vaart.

The Cottagers made a late move on deadline day to sign Spurs midfielder Bentley on a season-long loan At the same time, Spurs were frantically negotiating to bring Dutch playmaker van der Vaart to White Hart Lane - first on loan and then on a permanent £8m deal.

White Noise

Schwarzer fuming over failed move

Posted September 5, 2010 14:43:00

Biting his lip: Schwarzer is unlikely to receive another offer from Arsenal. (Getty Images: Laurence Griffiths)

Mark Schwarzer is still seething over Fulham's decision to block his dream move to English Premier League heavyweight Arsenal.

The long-time Socceroos goalkeeper put a testing week behind him by pulling off two brilliant saves in Australia's 0-0 draw in Friday's friendly against Switzerland in St Gallen.

He found it hard not to bite at questions regarding Craven Cottage boss Mark Hughes' refusal to let him switch to the Gunners.

The transfer window expired last Tuesday and with it potentially Schwarzer's last chance to play in the Champions League.

And the shot-stopper did not really need or want anyone reminding him.

His eye twitched at the mere mention of last week's events and the normally amenable figure smiled and used single word responses on the issue.

He had a wry smile on his face but admitted he could not yet trust himself to talk publicly on the issue.

"I would rather not say anything, I would really rather not say anything because otherwise I might say something wrong," he said.

The 37-year-old has been around football clubs too long to be unaware of the pitfalls of expressing his true feelings.

And there is a good chance that Arsenal will not come knocking at his door again.

At his age, Schwarzer was seen a short-term solution for shrewd Gunners manager Arsene Wenger.

The next English Premier League transfer window is in the new year but Schwarzer might not have the same appeal by that stage.

He will be away for nearly all of January if, as expected, the Socceroos have a decent run at the Asian Cup in Qatar.

The long-time Middlesbrough keeper said the current Australian camp in Europe could not have come at a better time.

"At the end of the day you have to get on with your work and coming away with the national team was a great relief for me really," he said.

Lucas Neill said Schwarzer's performance at AFG Arena epitomised his approach to the game, but the Socceroos skipper was careful not to offend his old Blackburn boss Hughes.

"He is the the ultimate professional," Neill said.

"He deserved to go to a club like Arsenal.

"But equally he will thrive under Mark Hughes at Fulham."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/09/05/3002990.htm?site=sport&section=football

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=212140
Fulham - Two Earn Recognition!
We may not have won any of our Premier League games this season, drawing all three, but then again you could claim we`ve not lost any either.

Whatever way you look at it, our opening three fixtures have seen two of our players catch the eye of the Football Supporters Federation with both David Stockdale and Brede Hangeland being named in their team for the month of August.

Well done chaps, keep it up!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=212140#ixzz0yegzv8lY

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/sep/05/paul-konchesky-liverpool-jamie-carragher

Paul Konchesky sees Liverpool move as 'chance at highest level'

• Former Fulham defender wants 'new lease of life'

• Liverpool can succeed in Europa League, he says

Press Association

guardian.co.uk, Sunday 5 September 2010 14.02 BST Article history

Paul Konchesky played his first game in a Liverpool shirt in Jamie Carragher's testimonial, against an Everton XI. Photograph: Peter Byrne/PA

Paul Konchesky has said that signing for Liverpool represents his chance to play at the highest level. The 29-year-old left-back was signed from Fulham on Tuesday but he has had little time to get to know his new team-mates as most have been away on international duty.

Konchesky played the second half of Jamie Carragher's testimonial yesterday, in which Liverpool beat an Everton XI 4-1. He said that things would be a lot tougher when he makes his full debut, possibly next weekend at Birmingham.

"I'm 29 and this is my last chance to play at the highest level. That is what Liverpool are and I am really looking forward to it," said Konchesky, who has been reunited with the former Fulham manager Roy Hodgson. "It [Hodgson] was a big factor but Liverpool being a big club was a massive factor.

"I'm looking forward to getting a new lease of life and playing at a very high standard. I can't wait to pull on a Liverpool shirt in the Premier League; it is a massive club and it is a big step for me. I just want to give it my all and go from there.

"I've had three or four days' training and although there have not been a lot of players there it has been a good week, and I am hopefully going to enjoy it soon. It was good to be involved in Jamie's testimonial and put a Liverpool shirt on.

"You look at the history they have got behind them – it is unbelievable and there are some great players here. If we can bring that back to the side this year in something like the Europa League then this team can go a long way.

"The testimonial was a bit slower than the Premier League, but it was good for Jamie. I'm glad all the players came back for him; they obviously respect him a lot and he is well respected within the team. He looks fit and I think he has a few more years left in him – and hopefully it will be at Liverpool."

Carragher, who hopes to raise £1m – for his 23 Foundation, which benefits local groups and charities – from the game and a gala dinner that was staged last night, is confident he will sign a new contract in the coming weeks.

"I don't think it has ever been in doubt," said the 32-year-old defender. "The club has always been the most important thing and they will decide if they think I am good enough or not.

"I'm sure with the transfer window now closed maybe there is something we can sort out – I think it will take two minutes. I've always wanted to play for Liverpool for my whole career and I'm sure that will be the case."

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/editorial-dalla-valle-fulham-move-first-mistake-hodgson-liverpool-era-1094431

EDITORIAL: Dalla Valle Fulham move first mistake of Hodgson Liverpool era

05.09.10 | Chris Beattie

EDITORIAL: Lauri Dalla Valle's departure from Liverpool just doesn't add up.

How can a player likened to Fernando Torres 12 months go, suddenly become a throw-away makeweight in a deal for a 29 year-old fullback?

That cash and Alex Kacaniklic also went in the opposite direction for Paul Konchesky, who was inside the final year of his Fulham contract, makes the Finn's trade even more baffling.

Throw in Hodgson's comments about not knowing enough about Dalla Valle to make an assessment - even though he had been coach of Finland less than four years ago - and this transfer simply doesn't make sense.

It particularly rings true when you consider the quiet and considered overhaul Hodgson has performed on Liverpool's transfer policy since taking over.

Along with Konchesky, Hodgson managed to land this summer's hottest Bosman, Joe Cole, sending the club's website into meltdown as a result. He also secured the commitment of Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres with Europe's biggest clubs circling and outbid Manchester United to bring Raul Meireles to England.

The new manager managed to steer Liverpool into the Europa League group phase with a shadow team and gave an already rejuvenated support a glimpse into the future by introducing youngsters like Raheem Sterling and Jonjo Shelvey in preseason senior action.

It's been an impressive first summer market under Hodgson - which is why allowing Dalla Valle to leave just doesn't jive.

The only doubts about the player have come from Finnish fans, who have emailed tribalfootball.com in recent months about Dalla Valle's apparent decision to commit his international future to the country of his father, Italy. But that still doesn't explain the decision to cut him loose to Fulham.

Reds legend Sami Hyypia welcomed his fellow Finn four years ago, declaring the move to Liverpool "the best he could make".

And upon signing him, former Liverpool academy director Malcolm Elias described Dalla Valle as "an incredible talent". Elias is now in charge of recruitment at Fulham.

A little over a year ago, Steve Claridge, the former Birmingham City striker, said of Dalla Valle: "Everything he does comes naturally. Some things can't be taught – qualities that separate ordinary players from very good ones – and even at his age his positioning in build-up play and knowledge of where to stand when the ball comes into the box seems spot-on.

"Little wonder his signature was coveted by so many big clubs. As a 15-year-old he chose Internazionale but then moved back home to Finland after only a year in Milan. At 17 sometimes the choices you make off the pitch can be as important as the ones you make on it and his decision to go to Liverpool, which looks a perfect match, means he's got both just about right."

So why would Hodgson allow such a talent leave for Fulham on a virtual 'free'? Has his good mate Elias got one over on him?

It smacks of Ron Atkinson rejecting a young Peter Beardsley at Manchester United. United lived to regret that decision throughout the 1980's - and Liverpool

White Noise

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6359071/Look-Hughes-dreaming-of-qualification

Look Hughes dreaming of qualification

Sunday 5th September 2010 13:32

Fulham defender Aaron Hughes would love to build on the superb win over Slovenia and lead Northern Ireland into a major championship.

Hughes was a rock at the back along with Stephen Craigan as their Euro 2012 qualifying campaign got off to a perfect start.

Substitute Corry Evans, making his first competitive outing, was the match-winner in the 1-0 victory against Slovenia in Maribor.

He swept the ball home at the back post in the 70th minute following a low cross from Craig Cathcart on his debut.

Northern Ireland then manned the barricades to stun the hosts, surprise participants in the World Cup finals.

Next up are Italy at Windsor Park on October 8 with Serbia, Estonia and the Faroe Islands also in the group.

Cottagers defender Hughes, who handed the captain's armband to Craigan as he was winning his 50th cap, said: "We know our strengths, we also know our weaknesses, we know what works for us.

"If we stick to that, hopefully we can have a successful campaign and take that extra step to actually get to a finals. How good would that be?

"It's a tough group, but that doesn't lower expectations. We are setting out to qualify, no matter how difficult that might be.

"Whatever anyone else thinks outside the camp is really irrelevant to what we want to do. If we approach every game properly and do things right, we will give ourselves as good a chance as ever."

Hughes believes there is a good blend in the squad that leaves him optimistic about the future.

"We've got lads who have been about for a couple of campaigns and they are still young players," he said.

"Add that experience to the enthusiasm and promise of the young lads coming through, the likes of Johnny Gorman, Corry Evans and Craig Cathcart, you have that nice mix.

"Everyone has had a good taste of competitive football in terms of qualifying groups, so hopefully we can use that to our advantage."

Evans has yet to make a first-team appearance for Manchester United while Cathcart left Old Trafford in the summer to join Blackpool.

Sheffield-born Gorman, who attends Wolves Academy and Repton School, came on in the closing minutes which means he is no longer eligible for either England or the Republic or Ireland.

Italy, under new coach Cesare Prandelli, came from behind to defeat Estonia 2-1 in their opening qualifier.

Craigan expects them to ditch their traditional defensive ideals now Marcello Lippi has departed after they failed to get past the World Cup group stages in South Africa.

"They will be a different attacking team to the disappointing one we saw at the World Cup and maybe they were an ageing side," said the Motherwell defender. "Maybe they were together too long and they should have brought in some fresh faces but how can I tell Marcello Lippi what to do?

"We cannot read too much into what they did at the World Cup because they will be a different side and they will have a little point to prove."