watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

42 years Ago today.

Started by f321ffc, May 03, 2017, 09:14:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandad

I was there. The game seemed to whistle by. Alec Stock told them to just go out & enjoy the day. He should have told them to Hammer them. I still have my special Cup Final scarf, Rosette, ticket & programme.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Fulham Tup North

Ironically, Taylor, who scored both of their goals, would be 'Cup-Tied' these days and ineligible to play for them.
I was only 10 and living in Hampshire, but remember walking about outside after the game feeling somewhat dejected.
If we knew then what we know now!!
COYW
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

The Equalizer

42 years ago today, I started the long journey from my old man's ball sack, to my 41 year old self.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

davew

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 03, 2017, 03:32:34 PM
42 years ago today, can you believe. Where has all that time gone.
We are all 42 years older.
davew, can you please calculate how many large Gin's you have consumed since the 1975 Cup Final. Including the bottles you have hidden under your bed sir.
(lol), that's a difficult 1 even allowing for my past accountancy skills, but roughly I think if I put 1 glass on each seat at Craven Cottage to represent each drink I have had in the 42 years FFC would need to extend their ground and seating capacity to provide an accurate count.

I remember the 75 final very well, sitting by the Royal Box (4 complimentary tickets supplied by the late Tommy Trinder) and dressed for the occasion in a "mod" parker with tassles and pictures of some of the players stuck on. I have watched the match replay several times over the years but never managed to spot myself and I didn't spend the whole game in the bar!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: davew on May 04, 2017, 09:45:50 AM
davew, can you please calculate how many large Gin's you have consumed since the 1975 Cup Final. Including the bottles you have hidden under your bed sir.
(lol), that's a difficult 1 even allowing for my past accountancy skills, but roughly I think if I put 1 glass on each seat at Craven Cottage to represent each drink I have had in the 42 years FFC would need to extend their ground and seating capacity to provide an accurate count.

I remember the 75 final very well, sitting by the Royal Box (4 complimentary tickets supplied by the late Tommy Trinder) and dressed for the occasion in a "mod" parker with tassles and pictures of some of the players stuck on. I have watched the match replay several times over the years but never managed to spot myself and I didn't spend the whole game in the bar!

When you watched the match replay several times, did the scoreline ever change, or did it always end up 2 0.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Twig

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 03, 2017, 04:24:34 PM
Lets be more precise, and please correct me if I am wrong. Apart from Conway, all the Fulham team were English, although I can remember John Dowie being a sub,  and the whole of the West Ham team were English.
Even so 21 players out of the starting 22 on the pitch were English.
In fact West Ham were the last team to win the FA Cup with all English players.

We could be even a particular region.more precise and try to check whether any of them came from north of Birmingham or whatever,  My point was that all but one came from the same country I wasn't bothered about a particular region, but yes you are right, for what it is worth, they were all English too.

Woolly Mammoth

Sitting by the Royal Box eh, and complimentarys from Tommy Trinder, you lucky oeople. Hmmm alright for those further up the food chain, or should I say the Gin and Tonic chain🥃. How was Charlie Windsor that day, how many times did he nod off💤, and did he know who was playing in Black & White 049:gif, and this time did he present the Winners Medals 🥇to the right team on this occasion, as I appreciate how confusing it must have been for him being asleep for 90 mins, then being woken up by his valet to present some jewellery to a bunch of commoners, in fact two bunches of commoners.  👍⚽️💤🏆
065.gif

By the way davew, from your advantage point could you spot me in the ground. I was standing next to my wife, who was standing next to a load of other supporters, about 99,998 of them. Were you able to notice me, I was the one reading the Sporting Life.

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Twig on May 04, 2017, 01:07:39 PM
Lets be more precise, and please correct me if I am wrong. Apart from Conway, all the Fulham team were English, although I can remember John Dowie being a sub,  and the whole of the West Ham team were English.

We could be even a particular region.more precise and try to check whether any of them came from north of Birmingham or whatever,  My point was that all but one came from the same country I wasn't bothered about a particular region, but yes you are right, for what it is worth, they were all English too.

It is worth a lot, and we are both right, all but one came from the same country, ( although John Cutbush was born in Malta, his parents were English, and he learnt his trade in England, at Spurs Academy), and it isn't a region, it's a country,  and that country is England.
Also to be even more precise both managers were English, how about that.

Never forget your Roots.

Sir Alec of good Stock

John Cutbush was born in Malta.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Sir Alec of good Stock on May 04, 2017, 01:44:17 PM

Well done, his parents came from Sussex England, a coconut is on its way to you, I didn't think anyone would get that, and Tom Cairney was born in England.

Never forget your Roots.

davew

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 04, 2017, 01:30:43 PM

Sitting by the Royal Box eh, and complimentarys from Tommy Trinder, you lucky oeople. Hmmm alright for those further up the food chain, or should I say the Gin and Tonic chain🥃. How was Charlie Windsor that day, how many times did he nod off💤, and did he know who was playing in Black & White 049:gif, and this time did he present the Winners Medals 🥇to the right team on this occasion, as I appreciate how confusing it must have been for him being asleep for 90 mins, then being woken up by his valet to present some jewellery to a bunch of commoners, in fact two bunches of commoners.  👍⚽️💤🏆
065.gif

By the way davew, from your advantage point could you spot me in the ground. I was standing next to my wife, who was standing next to a load of other supporters, about 99,998 of them. Were you able to notice me, I was the one reading the Sporting Life.
Now you come to mention it, no I didn't notice you!!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: davew on May 04, 2017, 02:23:31 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 04, 2017, 01:30:43 PM

065.gif

Now you come to mention it, no I didn't notice you!!!

Thank goodness for that, I have been worrying for nothing, because that wasn't my wife I was with, that was her sister.  :down_under:

Never forget your Roots.

Sir Alec of good Stock

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 04, 2017, 01:55:47 PM
Quote from: Sir Alec of good Stock on May 04, 2017, 01:44:17 PM

Well done, his parents came from Sussex England, a coconut is on its way to you, I didn't think anyone would get that, and Tom Cairney was born in England.

Big Country was called a Scottish band, but none of them was actually born in Scotland!!

Bill2

My overriding memory of the day after travelling to Wembley in my Mk2 cortina 1600 GT with rosettes in the windows was in the dyeing minutes, Les Barratt slipped the ball past the West Ham captain, Billy Bonds, and with only the keeper to the beat, Bonds just turned round and pulled Les back by his shirt. These days it would have been a straight red and denied our Les a chance of scoring a goal in a cup final.