watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (04/05/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 03, 2017, 10:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Chelsea loanee Tomas Kalas reveals reasons behind Fulham centre back's upturn in form

The 23-year-old Czech international has developed a solid partnership with Tim Ream in the heart of defence - something that is getting stronger game by game

Tomas Kalas believes his and Tim Ream's centre back partnership is is becoming more solid as a result of the pair being more prepared ahead of games.

The Czech and the American have become Slavisa Jokanovic's preferred partnership in the heart of the Fulham defence this season, starting together 18 times this year in a partnership that seems to have come on leaps and bounds in recent weeks, with Ream putting in some of his best displays this season.

That said, Fulham haven't kept a cleansheet since the 1-0 victory over Rotherham at the start of April and have only kept four since the turn of the year, something that has frustrated Jokanovic.

He is seemingly desperate for a 1-0 Fulham win, something that will come in time, and although that irritates Kalas he finds some comfort that their defensive efforts allows Fulham to counter and score goals.

He said: "It always comes with games and we've played many games now in a row together so I would say the partnership is very well off the pitch and on it too.

http://i2.getwestlondon.co.uk/incoming/article12978496.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/PBP_SAH_WL170919_0045.jpg

"We know what we expect from each other and if it works then it works for the team and I hope it will continue to work like that.

"We're maybe more prepared and more focused - it's coming towards the end of the season and we're not doing anything special that can go into the mistake.

"Towards the end of the season you might feel a bit tired or not as fresh as you at the start of the season so you are really focusing on doing your job and if you can add something to it then it's always special

"The main job is to not concede goals and we haven't done it in the last few games but at least it was leading to scoring opportunities and to score the goals."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chelsea-loanee-tomas-kalas-reveals-12978478

WhiteJC

Former QPR and Fulham striker shows support for Everton's Aaron Lennon by raising money for mental health charity

The Toffees winger was detained under the Mental Health Act by police over concerns for his welfare on Sunday

Former QPR and Fulham striker Andy Johnson has thrown his support behind Aaron Lennon by raising money for Mind.

The Everton winger was detained under the Mental Health Act by police over concerns for his welfare on Sunday.

The 30-year-old was taken to hospital 'for assessment' after an incident in Salford.

Greater Manchester Police said: "Police were called at around 4.35pm to reports of a concern for the welfare of a man on Eccles Old Road.

"Officers attended and a 30-year-old man was detained under section 136 of the Mental Health Act and was taken to hospital for assessment."

A national newspaper has faced heavy criticism for leading on the wage the 21-time England international was earning.

And Johnson, who played for Birmingham, Crystal Palace, Everton, Fulham and QPR, has pledged to help raise awarness for mental health by donating 10p for ever retweet he receives to Mind in Aaron Lennon's name.

He wrote on Twitter: "It's time to #EndTheStigma and talk about #MentalHealth."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-qpr-fulham-striker-shows-12980203

WhiteJC

Jokanović's Sheff Weds Preview

Slaviša Jokanović insists feet are being kept firmly on the ground as Fulham prepare for the final game of the regular season.

Last weekend's draw with Brentford all but guaranteed a Play-Off spot for his side, but Jokanović is not one for getting carried away.

"It's not time for any celebration," he stated. "At the moment we haven't finished our job.

"We can be happy because we are virtually in the Play-Offs, but we have to be focused ahead of the work that is in front of us, and there are really important games in front of us.

"Mathematically we are still not in. A great chance is in front of us and I believe we are going to be in the Play-Offs."

Sunday's hosts Sheffield Wednesday are one possible opponent in the Semi-Finals, and when asked if victory would strike a psychological blow, Jokanović replied: "It's not a question about a message, it's a question about what we want to do.

"We're going to arrive in this historical place and play in front of 3,000 of our away supporters. We're going to try and concentrate on everything that is around us and choose a team that we believe can win the game.

"The situation is a little bit different. We are under less pressure. From another side, we are only virtually in the Play-Offs and we must be ready for everything.

"We don't go there for a vacation, a holiday, we're going to arrive at this important stadium with ambition and desire to win the game.

"We arrive at this game with a similar intention of winning. If you ask me if I'm going to change 10 players, I'm not going to do it.

"From one side because I don't have enough players, from another side because I don't want my people to believe we are on some kind of vacation or that the job is done.

"We try and win all the games, no reason exists to arrive at this game with a different mentality."

Fulham have competed well against the other Play-Off sides this season, winning three and drawing one of the five fixtures so far, notching 15 goals in the process.

But while he acknowledged that was a decent record, Jokanović stressed that it's what happens this month that matters.

"This is not important," he explained. "At the end of the day, when we arrive at this game, everything that happened in the past will count for nothing.

"All four teams are going to start with a 25 per cent chance of being the promoted team. These results that are behind us don't serve us so much for these games that we're going to play.

"We are in a good level of form, we play with confidence and we play with great ambition. I expect we're going to improve all aspects of our game for what's in front of us."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/may/03/jokanovics-sheff-weds-preview

WhiteJC

Fulham given striker boost ahead of play-offs

On-loan Fulham striker Chris Martin will be available to feature in the Championship play-offs, Get West London has revealed.

The Scottish forward has been on a season-long deal from Derby County but has missed the last three games through suspension after being sent off during the Cottagers' win over Norwich City in April.

However, he could return against Sheffield Wednesday on Sunday and can be picked for the subsequent play-off matches.

Fulham are all but guaranteed a sixth-placed finish in England's second tier; they cannot catch any of the teams ahead of them and would have to be on the receiving end of an unlikely 13-goal swing on the last day to be overtaken by Leeds United.

With that in mind, manager Slavisa Jokanovic is likely to rest a number of key stars for the game against the Owls.

The two sides will meet again in the play-off semi-final if Wednesday finish third, which would require them to better Reading's result this weekend and at least match that of Huddersfield Town.

Fulham have lost just twice in their last 16 Championship fixtures and are the current favourites with bookmaker Sky Bet to triumph at Wembley on May 29.

https://ninetyminutesonline.com/fulham-given-striker-boost-ahead-play-offs/

WhiteJC

Play-Off Hospitality

Further to confirmation from the EFL regarding the 2017 Sky Bet Championship Play-Off Semi-Final dates, and with Fulham unable to finish any higher than sixth place, the first leg of our possible Semi-Final is scheduled to be played on Saturday 13th May (5.30pm) at Craven Cottage.

This is of course subject to the team preserving its current sixth place position with a commanding goal difference, and the Whites will find out their opponents following the final round of league fixtures this coming weekend.

Matchday Hospitality packages are now available to purchase for the possible home leg of the Play-Off Semi-Finals.

Supporters can watch the action in style, with prices starting from £75 per person (+VAT). These packages can now be purchased online, by phone on 0208 336 7555 or on [email protected]

Further information regarding match tickets, along with on-sale dates and prices, will be made available on fulhamfc.com in due course.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/may/03/play-off-hospitality

WhiteJC

Former Newcastle, Fulham & Aston Villa defender Aaron Hughes feeling at home at Hearts after globetrotting adventure

AARON HUGHES has hinted he could be ready for an extended stay at Hearts by insisting he already feels at home in Edinburgh.

The Northern Ireland stalwart enjoyed a nomadic two years prior to joining the Jambos, turning out for Melbourne City in the A-League before starring for Kerala Blasters in the Indian Super League.

However, Hughes made a conscious decision to pen a deal closer to his family home in Newcastle in January, signing a short-term contract with the Tynecastle outfit.

Hearts head coach Ian Cathro has made no secret of his desire to build his back-line around the experienced defender next term, recently confirming "we are looking into keeping him for next season".

And Hughes is adamant he is content in the capital.

"I've no regrets whatsoever about coming to Hearts," said Hughes. "I had a good feeling about the move and that hasn't changed one bit.

"I had never actually been to Edinburgh so my first visit was just before the New Year. I'd come back from India not long before, and was in Newcastle waiting to see what would happen. I thought I would get away for a few days and decided to come to Edinburgh for a look around.

"I ended up meeting Ian [Cathro] for a chat and the I spoke to Austin [MacPhee, assistant head coach]. The, before I knew it, about four days later, it was decided that I'd be coming here. I was delighted.

"I'd moved around a little bit in recent years and the idea of getting the family settled was at the forefront of my mind. It's a nice city, a good environment, so it was an easy decision."

Hughes has been plagued by a persistent calf strain and has not featured since the Jambos' Scottish Cup exit to Hibs in February, nevertheless the capital club remain hopeful he will feature again this term.

"It has been a frustrating period for me recently due to my injury," Hughes told Hearts matchday magazine. "But I've still enjoyed coming in and working with everyone here."

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2017/05/03/former-newcastle-fulham-aston-villa-defender-aaron-hughes-feeling-home-hearts-globetrotting-adventure/

WhiteJC

Jon Newsome's Sheffield Wednesday Column: Confident Carlos believed in his team and so should we

Carlos Carvalhal apparently suggested some weeks ago, in private to fellow columnist Alan Biggs, that Sheffield Wednesday would secure a spot in the play offs before the final game of the season against Fulham....

To me this shows the level of belief that he has in his squad of players and he can only be applauded for that. He chose not to shout it from the rooftops, apparently only speaking about it in private and most definitely 'off the record'. This again, is good management in my opinion, Carlos obviously not wanting to put any extra pressure on his players who I am sure have been well aware of the expectations of them this season.

When you are working with a group of players day-in day-out, part of your job is to pick up on the mood and overall attitude within the group. The run of six straight wins in a row has been nothing short of fantastic and Carlos obviously felt that something like this could happen. I'm sure that the training ground has been a very enjoyable place to be of late and everyone will have been eager to try and get some game time in the run in to the end of the season. The man-management of players is more important these days than it has ever been, especially when you have an abundance of players to choose from like down at Hillsborough. It really is a full time job and that's where the back room staff play their part in keeping that buoyant mood bubbling along. Modern football is all about utilising the squad and it is a far cry from the days of having one substitute. It isn't easy trying to keep everybody happy, especially players who feel they should be in the starting line-up and yet find themselves sat on the bench and playing only a bit part. The job that the manager has done this year cannot be undervalued in that respect. Only the last month or so we have seen both Jordan Rhodes and Fernando Forestieri not included in the starting line up. Finding the right balance is crucial and you have to make all the players feel included and part of what is happening as you may need to call on one or two of them at any point in the run-in or play-offs. From the outside looking in there seems to be that togetherness and team spirit shining through just at the right time. Remember the scenes at Brighton last year when a date at Wembley had been secured, the players and staff celebrated with the fans for what seemed an age after that game and you could see the tightness of the group. It seems to me that this feeling is back at Hillsborough and having booked a place in the play-offs with another excellent result down at Ipswich it couldn't be at a better time of the season.

Being a professional footballer is an incredibly fortunate life. You are doing something that you love, in most cases something that you have strived to achieve since being a very small boy. To live out that dream is an incredible experience but no matter how much you love the game there are times when players will get fed up of it. Some people will find this hard to believe, but trust me, it is true. When the club is on the up, you have all to play for and the play offs around the corner I can not imagine there will be anybody feeling that way at S6 right now. That is testament to the fantastic job that Carlos Carvalhal, his staff and of course the players have done this season. Securing their play off place with the final game of the season still to come, for the second year running is no mean feat. I am sure nobody was looking forward to having to face Fulham in the final match, needing a point or a win to achieve that goal. It would have undoubtedly been a nervous affair but instead we can look forward to a carnival atmosphere down at Hillsborough to finish off a very successful campaign.

I can see some players possibly being rested on Sunday, which will allow some of the other players to step in and achieve some game time. Whatever team he chooses to play, each and every one of the players will, I'm sure be looking forward to it. There aren't many occasions when you can go out and play with the freedom that will be afforded the players on Sunday and I would imagine that the day will be one to savour. The result will have a major bearing on who we face in the play-offs but as long as nothing calamitous happens then I can not imagine Reading, Huddersfield or Fulham will be queuing up to play the in form team, Sheffield Wednesday.

Can we go one better than last year? Yes, I think we can. The experience of losing at Wembley last season will be something that every player will have learnt from. That bitter taste of defeat when you are so close to ultimate achievement will have been hard to take and shows what a great achievement it is to get there again this year. They have a chance to put that Wembley defeat right and its not often that you get the opportunity to do so in football. The determination and belief within the group will be much talked about and I can only wish them the absolute best of luck in it all. I'll be there, hopefully celebrating with the rest of you. Three games from the promised land of the Premier League, come on Wednesday!

Read more at: http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/jon-newsome-s-sheffield-wednesday-column-confident-carlos-believed-in-his-team-and-so-should-we-1-8525408

WhiteJC

Fulham duo up for Manager and Player of the Month gongs after impressive Arpil

The duo are up for the award after an impressive April saw Fulham climb and clinch the final play-off spot

Fulham will be hoping for a Manager and Player of the Month clean sweep fore the month of April with both Slavisa Jokanovic and Stefan Johansen up for the awards.

Fulham took 16 points from 17 in April - a run of results that has seen them clinch a play-off place at the expense of Leeds United with a game to spare.

Jokanovic will go up against Carlos Carvahal of Sheffield Wednesday, who also saw his side into the play-off places last month after taking 19 points from seven unbeaten games, Nigel Clough of Burton and Lee Johnson of Bristol City.

Meanwhile, Johansen has been shortlisted for Player of the Month after he scored four goals, including two against Huddersfield in the 4-1 win which complemented a good month for the Norway captain.

John Brayford of Burton, Yann Kermogant of Reading and Glenn Murray of Brighton have also been shortlisted for the award.

The winners will be announced tomorrow, Friday May 5.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-duo-up-manager-player-12972625

WhiteJC

Double Nomination

Slaviša Jokanović and Stefan Johansen have been nominated for April's Sky Bet Championship Manager and Player of the Month awards.

In what was always going to be a pivotal month in our quest for a Play-Off place, Jokanović guided his side to an impressive five wins and one draw, with the sole defeat arriving at Derby County.

A gritty 1-0 win in Rotherham kicked off the month, and we then recovered from the defeat at Pride Park with a stunning run of four consecutive victories, in which time we netted 13 goals.

We secured a trio of 3-1 triumphs over Ipswich Town, Norwich City and Aston Villa, before responding to going a goal behind with a spectacular 4-1 win at top-six rivals Huddersfield Town.

That win put our destiny in our own hands, and the boys all but secured their Play-Off spot when they ended the month with a 1-1 draw against Brentford.

It was a fine period individually for Johansen, whose four goals took his tally for the season to 13, while he also claimed a superb assist for Neeskens Kebano in the win over Villa in front of the Sky Sports cameras.

His clinical finishing against Huddersfield was absolutely devastating and he was subsequently voted Man of the Match by the Fulham fans, as he had been in the previous outing at home to Villa.

Johansen is up against Reading and Brighton & Hove Albion strikers Yann Kermorgant and Glenn Murray, as well as Burton Albion's John Brayford.

Jokanović's competition comes in the form of Nigel Clough and Lee Johnson – who have navigated their Burton and Bristol City sides to safety – and Carlos Carvalhal, boss of Sunday's opponents Sheffield Wednesday.

The winners will be announced on Friday 5th May.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/may/04/double-nomination

WhiteJC

QPR ace makes huge comments on west London rivals Fulham

Hoops striker Matt Smith hopes to see old club Fulham win the Championship play-offs

Queens Park Rangers striker Matt Smith reckons former club Fulham could be the dark horses in the Championship play-offs and is delighted to see them get a chance of returning to the Premier League.

The Cottagers were the most entertaining side in the Championship this season, according to statistics.

Smith, who was at Fulham not so long ago in his career, has paid tribute to his former team-mates and hopes to see them in the top flight of English football.

Matt Smith, during his time at Fulham, with star man Tom Cairney

"I definitely do hope they go up, congratulations to them for getting into the play-offs," he told Get West London.

"They are the most entertaining team in the league by a long way, playing an extremely attractive brand of football.

"Fair play to them. I have a lot of close friends in that team and I'd love nothing more than to see them be a Premier League outfit again next season.

"I think on the basis of performance and talent, they certainly deserve to be there.

They are a force to be reckoned with, and certainly over two legs as well, they're a tough team to beat.

"And then the final is what it is. But they thoroughly deserve to be there and congratulations to everyone at the club. I am delighted and hope they do it."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/qpr-ace-makes-huge-comments-12970368