The Official FOF Silly Season Summer Transfer Thread 2017-18

Started by Friendsoffulham, May 06, 2017, 11:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Nero on July 27, 2017, 12:12:19 PM
Quote from: copthornemike on July 27, 2017, 12:05:35 PM
Excellent news about Kalas.

From the Chelsea site:
Tomas Kalas has signed a new four-year contract at Chelsea and will now spend the forthcoming campaign on loan at Fulham.

Kalas, a full Czech Republic international, made four appearances for the Blues during the 2013/14 season including in a famous win at Anfield.

Last year he excelled on loan at Fulham, and the defender returns to Craven Cottage alongside fellow Blue Lucas Piazon, aiming to help Slavisa Jokanovic's side achieve promotion having missed out in the Championship play-off semi-finals.

Who was saying there's no such thing as slavery any more, think Chelsea are having a good go at it, a 4 year contract and he's only played twice for him why do they keep signing up to them, oh we promise when you come back next year we'll play you.

Nah it ensures value for when they sell him to us next season and if Kalas doesn't sign it then they will let him rot in the reserves... #simples

Roberty

Quote from: FFC1987 on July 27, 2017, 12:00:44 PM
Quote from: Roberty on July 27, 2017, 11:39:16 AM
Quote from: FFC1987 on July 27, 2017, 11:19:44 AM
Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on July 27, 2017, 11:04:08 AM
Quote from: f321ffc on July 27, 2017, 10:57:38 AM
Nothing happening here, time to rename this thread.
The official FOF Silly  Season Summer NON Transfer thread 090.gif

Oliver Norwood signed 2 days ago...

Not to make this another moaning post but.....we lost our main CB and ST a long time ago, both were on loan so we've had ample time to address this and we're less than 2 weeks from the start of the season and we literally haven't addressed it. Signing Norwood and Cisse, whilst this is good, is totally underwhelming when you weigh up the urgent needs of our squad. For this reason, I totally understand and agree with the frustration.

I think we need to invest in some serious fire power so that we can mount a military operation to raid other clubs and capture the players we want

Just one problem - slavery was abolished in 1833 and it is illegal to own firearms without a license in the UK

Does anyone have a better idea as to how to force the players we want to sign on the dotted line pronto-presto?

We're not the only club who has been fannying around since the end of the season and since the window does not close until the end of August - the selling clubs, the players and their agents have no time pressure and can take their time.

We might not like it but that it the reality of the situation and for us it is even more difficult - we are looking for quality players not just any old journeyman with a pair of boots

I'd totally agree with your point if I didn't see the likes of Boro, Wolves, Forest and a number of other clubs signing players and promptly. Other clubs can do it so why can't we? We have an extremely good reputation, history, London, a great manager, EPL standard players like Captain Cairney so a lot of things that's luring BUT we don't seem able to address key positions within a respectfully timely fashion. Maybe Cb isn't an issue as we have Kalas all but confirmed, who knows. HAHA I literally post this and 30 seconds later my phone bings with Kalas confirmed.....

As you point out very few clubs have made signing and I think very few of the players signed by other Championship clubs would make it into our team.

I was truly gutted when Birmingham signed Terry and Samba because I knew we were looking for a centre back and it was distressing to miss out yet again.
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

grandad

Quote from: Nero on July 27, 2017, 12:12:19 PM
Quote from: copthornemike on July 27, 2017, 12:05:35 PM
Excellent news about Kalas.

From the Chelsea site:
Tomas Kalas has signed a new four-year contract at Chelsea and will now spend the forthcoming campaign on loan at Fulham.

Kalas, a full Czech Republic international, made four appearances for the Blues during the 2013/14 season including in a famous win at Anfield.

Last year he excelled on loan at Fulham, and the defender returns to Craven Cottage alongside fellow Blue Lucas Piazon, aiming to help Slavisa Jokanovic's side achieve promotion having missed out in the Championship play-off semi-finals.

Who was saying there's no such thing as slavery any more, think Chelsea are having a good go at it, a 4 year contract and he's only played twice for him why do they keep signing up to them, oh we promise when you come back next year we'll play you.

A player will command a larger fee with a 4 year contract in place than one on in his last year. From the Blue Poo´s point of view it is good business sense. It is how they raise funds to enable them to pay mega millions for 1st team starters.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Woolly Mammoth

I might just get a better nights sleep. But let's not get too carried away, let's keep our feet on the ground, there is still more work to do. But this is a good result.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

FFC1987

Quote from: Roberty on July 27, 2017, 12:15:33 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on July 27, 2017, 12:00:44 PM
Quote from: Roberty on July 27, 2017, 11:39:16 AM
Quote from: FFC1987 on July 27, 2017, 11:19:44 AM

Not to make this another moaning post but.....we lost our main CB and ST a long time ago, both were on loan so we've had ample time to address this and we're less than 2 weeks from the start of the season and we literally haven't addressed it. Signing Norwood and Cisse, whilst this is good, is totally underwhelming when you weigh up the urgent needs of our squad. For this reason, I totally understand and agree with the frustration.

I think we need to invest in some serious fire power so that we can mount a military operation to raid other clubs and capture the players we want

Just one problem - slavery was abolished in 1833 and it is illegal to own firearms without a license in the UK

Does anyone have a better idea as to how to force the players we want to sign on the dotted line pronto-presto?

We're not the only club who has been fannying around since the end of the season and since the window does not close until the end of August - the selling clubs, the players and their agents have no time pressure and can take their time.

We might not like it but that it the reality of the situation and for us it is even more difficult - we are looking for quality players not just any old journeyman with a pair of boots

I'd totally agree with your point if I didn't see the likes of Boro, Wolves, Forest and a number of other clubs signing players and promptly. Other clubs can do it so why can't we? We have an extremely good reputation, history, London, a great manager, EPL standard players like Captain Cairney so a lot of things that's luring BUT we don't seem able to address key positions within a respectfully timely fashion. Maybe Cb isn't an issue as we have Kalas all but confirmed, who knows. HAHA I literally post this and 30 seconds later my phone bings with Kalas confirmed.....

As you point out very few clubs have made signing and I think very few of the players signed by other Championship clubs would make it into our team.

I was truly gutted when Birmingham signed Terry and Samba because I knew we were looking for a centre back and it was distressing to miss out yet again.

I pointed out two clubs, Boro and Forest who between them have signed 6 strikers! Forest even sold their no.1 striker and had him replaced by 3 in a matter of days....To put it into perspective. I just think we're really sloe considering teh weight we have behind us. Kalas is absolutely huge for us though and im getting more optimistic.

twang

Absolutely great news! Just a striker that's needed ASAP now, the rest (a full back, another striker and a left-sided central defender if we can flog Sigurdsson) can be sorted out when the season is under way.

westcliff white

Every day is a Fulham day

Flume

YESSSSS great news! All we (desperately) need is a striker or two and we're set
In Slav we trust

Barrett487

Could do worse, especially if we get 2 strikers in

http://www.royalgazette.com/soccer/article/20170727/wagner-open-to-offers-for-wells

Wagner open to offers for Wells

"There has been no bid," Wagner told The Yorkshire Post.

Incidentally, Wells helped deny Reading promotion to the Premier League, scoring in Huddersfield's 4-3 penalty shoot-out win in the Championship play-off final at Wembley Stadium in May.

Wells has found himself down the pecking order after the arrivals of forwards Laurent Depoitre, for an undisclosed fee from Porto, and Steve Mounie from Montpellier for a club-record fee in the region of £11.44 million plus add-ons.

"I admit this is not the easiest situation for Nahki," Wagner added. "Everyone can see how high the quality is of the strikers we have brought in. We also still have [Elias] Kachunga and [Collin] Quaner who are able to play there.

"This is not the best situation for Nahki and, of course, he is a name that is on the market. We will listen if there is serious interest in him but, at the minute, we want to make sure Nahki is back in training. That should be the case by the end of the week."

Huddersfield are scheduled to depart for a weeklong training camp in Austria on Saturday, which includes matches against Stuttgart on August 1 and Torino on August 4, with Wells's availability in doubt.

Asked whether his striker is in his travelling plans, Wagner said: "I'm unsure at the minute. We will see how everything progresses."

Wells has missed Huddersfield's last three pre-season friendlies through an ankle injury, including their 2-1 home defeat against Serie A side Udinese yesterday, in which Wagner fielded two largely different playing line-ups for each half against the visiting side.

Tom Ince, a summer signing from Derby County, netted his fourth goal in five outings to give the home side the lead after dribbling past three markers and firing into the bottom corner. However, Dimitri Cavare cancelled Huddersfield's lead with a shot from the edge of the area that took a deflection.

Ryder Matos grabbed Udinese's winner after the break when he slotted home fellow substitute Andrija Balic's dangerous free kick that came back off the crossbar.

cmg

Quote from: rweller86 on July 27, 2017, 12:06:13 PM
Best thing about the video the posted on Twitter that pans across to Kalas, he looks so happy to be back!

A smart and witty little touch.

This one, not unexpected, signing actually improves the balance of the squad quite considerably.

Jonaldiniho 88

PokerMatt

I still question whether it makes sense from Chelsea's point of view. Kalas will be 28 when his contract runs out. He won't play for them in the next four years. Presumably his contract came with a wage rise. They paid £5m for him, but every club knows they can just take him on loan instead of actually buying him. Eventually the player will leave on a free or the other alternative he stays on Chelsea's books for his career.

At 24 he's unlikely to be a leading Premier League player but his progressively higher wage is just pricing out potential suitors. I just don't see the sense. They're some sort of agency that provides players on short-term deals.

Some on here have said it's good for football. My view is they're ruining it.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

Barrett487

Wolves being linked with Andre Gray :022:

If he's prepared to drop a league, i'd love us to go for him.

cmg

Chelsea stats man checks their list of Centre Backs before deciding they can spare Kalas for another season.

Barrett487

Quote from: cmg on July 27, 2017, 12:33:42 PM

Chelsea stats man checks their list of Centre Backs before deciding they can spare Kalas for another season.

:005:

f321ffc

And my point was look how many NON transfer replies since then.
Before the pre season friendlys had been announced I tweeted FFC about the lack of news on any friendlys and two minutes later the friendlys were tweeted, today I mention a lack of transfer news and then The Kalas news breaks, so now I'm going to wait a while then moan about no striker being signed in the hope of being able to claim a hat trick. fp.gif
COYW
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: f321ffc on July 27, 2017, 12:42:04 PM

And my point was look how many NON transfer replies since then.
Before the pre season friendlys had been announced I tweeted FFC about the lack of news on any friendlys and two minutes later the friendlys were tweeted, today I mention a lack of transfer news and then The Kalas news breaks, so now I'm going to wait a while then moan about no striker being signed in the hope of being able to claim a hat trick. fp.gif
COYW

Do it now, do it now please.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

cmg

I've been more or less enthusiastic about our reported centre-forward targets so far this pre-season (and have, therefore, been more or less disappointed) but I would like to know what I am missing about Nahki Wells who has never impressed me much.

We had a 10 goal, 3 assist centre-forward at our place last year who scored his goals at a much better rate than Wells did at Huddersfield.

SuffolkWhite

I think our midfield will produce many chances for a striker and think even a half decent striker who has a bit of passion will do well, unlike Martin who I felt just did not care.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Flume

Quote from: cmg on July 27, 2017, 01:15:51 PM

I've been more or less enthusiastic about our reported centre-forward targets so far this pre-season (and have, therefore, been more or less disappointed) but I would like to know what I am missing about Nahki Wells who has never impressed me much.

We had a 10 goal, 3 assist centre-forward at our place last year who scored his goals at a much better rate than Wells did at Huddersfield.
Yep, agree with you. Wells doesn't really impress me, would love to have one of Wednesday or Boro's strikers.
In Slav we trust