Started by Friendsoffulham, May 06, 2017, 11:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJG

Quote from: Roberty on August 15, 2017, 10:08:41 AM
Quote from: MJG on August 15, 2017, 10:03:29 AM
Quote from: westcliff white on August 15, 2017, 08:18:33 AM
Quote from: fulhamross on August 15, 2017, 08:11:42 AM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on August 15, 2017, 07:14:33 AM
Madl off to Legia Warsaw according to Sky.
Will he play tonight?
why are we getting rid of everyone and not replacing them :(
I had heard Madl wants to leave as he wants to play first team football, wouldnt be sure he is going before tonights game. My guess is Odoi or DJalo tonight as they are seemingly ahead of Madl at present (makes sense if he wants to leave)
which is an example of how difficult it can be to have (and keep them happy) good quality reserves, let alone players we expect to be just as good as the starting XI.

I would make the point that neither Madl or Sigurdsson were good quality reserves - they were tried and put aside last season in favour of our old whipping boy Ream - who much to everyone's surprise proved to be rather effective alongside Kalas
I sort of go back to the discussion yesterday, if you cant keep a 'reserve' happy how can you have a squad of 22 of almost the same quality happy? Madl for me is almost the perfect player you want in the squad. Decent player who can slot in almost anywhere and if hes starting your not having a heart attack.
Just the views of a long term fan

VicHalomsLovechild

Quite often on here, there are posts about mercenary players. Going where the money is. The Club have obviously sold RS a dream about his and their future plus a new contract. How would it look if a few weeks down the line the Club sell him?
If he's as good as they think he is he'll be worth more next season and if tempted to go his agent should be able to negotiate a deal where he's not stuck in the reserves or loaned out for the next few seasons.
Refusing to sell sends a message to all. We're building for a bigger future.

MJG

Quote from: Statto on August 15, 2017, 12:22:08 PM
Quote from: MJG on August 15, 2017, 12:18:33 PM
Will he play tonight?
I had heard Madl wants to leave as he wants to play first team football, wouldnt be sure he is going before tonights game. My guess is Odoi or DJalo tonight as they are seemingly ahead of Madl at present (makes sense if he wants to leave)
which is an example of how difficult it can be to have (and keep them happy) good quality reserves, let alone players we expect to be just as good as the starting XI.

I would make the point that neither Madl or Sigurdsson were good quality reserves - they were tried and put aside last season in favour of our old whipping boy Ream - who much to everyone's surprise proved to be rather effective alongside Kalas
I sort of go back to the discussion yesterday, if you cant keep a 'reserve' happy how can you have a squad of 22 of almost the same quality happy? Madl for me is almost the perfect player you want in the squad. Decent player who can slot in almost anywhere and if hes starting your not having a heart attack.

Agree. Piazon another perfect example. There was debate on here the other day where some questioned the difference between a squad player and someone you intend to be in your core 5-10 regular starters. There is a difference. There are different levels and you need players at all those levels to make a complete squad.
Button, Betts, Ream, Madl, Odoi, Fredericks, Kalas, Sessegnon, McDonald, Johansen, Cairney, Norwood, Kebanop, Ayite, Aluko, Piazon, Kamara?,   I'd consider all these (17) as players who if they start a game i have no issue wioth. Could all be first XI. If you asked me who are 100% regular starters then 7 or 8 of them.

colinwhite

Our problem is not that we dont have cash to spend I believe. Its difficult to get the Quality of player that we want at this stage of the window. Getting Bodies in is not the answer ,we need players competing for starting places .

sarnian

Quote from: @jolslover on August 15, 2017, 12:16:06 PM
James Pearce‏Verified account @JamesPearceEcho  33m33 minutes ago
More
#LFC winger Sheyi Ojo off to Fulham on loan. Means Derby, Villa and Middlesbrough miss out.

Mirror Football‏Verified account @MirrorFootball  35m35 minutes ago
More
Liverpool starlet Sheyi Ojo set to join Fulham on loan for the rest of the season
http://bit.ly/2x06LXn

We don't need more wingers, no great shakes at Wigan or Wolves on loan. What happened to the centre forward spoken about at the weekend.

the nutflush

Quote from: colinwhite on August 15, 2017, 12:32:20 PM
Our problem is not that we dont have cash to spend I believe. Its difficult to get the Quality of player that we want at this stage of the window. Getting Bodies in is not the answer ,we need players competing for starting places .

At this stage of the window?  We never manage to get anywhere near a decent striker at any stage of any window.  We just keep getting wingers and defenders on loan. 

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: sarnian on August 15, 2017, 12:33:34 PM
More
#LFC winger Sheyi Ojo off to Fulham on loan. Means Derby, Villa and Middlesbrough miss out.

More
Liverpool starlet Sheyi Ojo set to join Fulham on loan for the rest of the season

We don't need more wingers, no great shakes at Wigan or Wolves on loan. What happened to the centre forward spoken about at the weekend.

For crying out loud he was 18 years old when he was at Wigan & Wolves. Hardly the finished article.
Take your point about the wingers though

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: sarnian on August 15, 2017, 12:33:34 PM
More

More

We cannot be too fussy about where he plays, if Fulham are bringing in another body. It's another string to our bow if he signs. Considering that the handle on the incoming door at Motspur Park has cob webs and rust and dust, and there is tumbleweed blowing against it.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

GloucesterWhite

We do: having Sess and Cairney is like having a post-dated cheque - we can draw on it when we want. If we don't spend we will never end the season in the top 2. 4-6 is possible but that's a lottery. Spend now please Mr Khan and if we don't go up and we get a transfer ban because of FFP we can cash in on Tom and Sess (they would probably want to go anyway) and we have balanced the books. Wolves are splashing the cash and will be there or there abouts in May. It's the only way IMO.

rweller86

Couple of Portuguese tweets saying Rui Fonte for £9m (nothing credible) but surely that deal is dead?
@rweller

@jolslover

I think if Ojo signs it may mean Sone Aluko is leaving.
STH H3

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: grandad on August 15, 2017, 11:59:55 AM
The Bro´s do not want to go so go & do one Levy. You have tolen enough from us already.
The boys are priceless to us, well maybe £50 mil for the pair in cash upfront with sell on clauses.
Can we not send Spuds Ryan's Brother for £25m?  They are twins after all.  ;)
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

the nutflush

Quote from: rweller86 on August 15, 2017, 01:01:44 PM
Couple of Portuguese tweets saying Rui Fonte for £9m (nothing credible) but surely that deal is dead?

Get him in.  He looks like a good finisher which is what we need desperately. 

Just read that while we turned down 25m from Spurs for Sess, we have valued him at 50m.  Hang on the phones ringing...Oh hello Mr Mourinho......

TXWhite

Rui Fonte vendido por nove milhões ao Fulham FC - this from Correio da Manhã, has 340k followers. Could be legit.

Mince n Tatties

I've text my friend in Suffolk whose son works for the Daily Express,he has got back to say the Sess story is old hat and been brought up again as there is very little activity to print about..

rweller86

Quote from: TXWhite on August 15, 2017, 01:06:00 PM

Rui Fonte vendido por nove milhões ao Fulham FC - this from Correio da Manhã, has 340k followers. Could be legit.
One of the ones I saw. Although played and scored at the weekend.
@rweller

Tabby

Quote from: @jolslover on August 15, 2017, 01:03:12 PM
I think if Ojo signs it may mean Sone Aluko is leaving.

To Reading? I don't really see it happening. Their board is even more penny-pinching than ours, and I don't see why a player that was named vice captain a month ago would leave for anything less than a huge bid.

bencher

Quote from: Statto on August 15, 2017, 12:22:08 PM
Quote from: MJG on August 15, 2017, 12:18:33 PM
Will he play tonight?

Agree. Piazon another perfect example. There was debate on here the other day where some questioned the difference between a squad player and someone you intend to be in your core 5-10 regular starters. There is a difference. There are different levels and you need players at all those levels to make a complete squad.

The other point here is that players go through period of good and bad form. No one should be guaranteed a starting place just because they are fit. You need a squad of players that can compete with each other for the first 11. Kebano last season had a few months of limited action, but then found form in the last few months and became a key player. Ream started on the bench, but turned into a starter due to good form.

MJG

Quote from: GloucesterWhite on August 15, 2017, 01:01:15 PM
We do: having Sess and Cairney is like having a post-dated cheque - we can draw on it when we want. If we don't spend we will never end the season in the top 2. 4-6 is possible but that's a lottery. Spend now please Mr Khan and if we don't go up and we get a transfer ban because of FFP we can cash in on Tom and Sess (they would probably want to go anyway) and we have balanced the books. Wolves are splashing the cash and will be there or there abouts in May. It's the only way IMO.
Sorry but I have mention its not that simple.

Lets say we bust it this window. A ban and even worse (pts reduction, lots of options now for the lge)c ould come in this January. We would also be banned next summer.
Unless we were able to offload next summer (and clubs would know we have to sell so would not pay top price)  and then show league we not only have  a balanced budget for that year but also have not exceeded the 3 year £39M limit we could be banned again for Jan 2019.

To be within all required limits this time next year without any ban due in Jan 2019, we would basically need a low cost low wage team which would probably go down.

Anyway enjoy rest of your day on that downbeat answer.

the nutflush

I hate to say it but we should be selling Sess at 25m.  He is wasted at left back.  We have plenty of options further forward on the left.  We can spend 5m on a left back and 10m on a good striker who can deliver 20 goals and still have cash left for Xmas.