watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

If, for arguments sake, we did get promoted

Started by Wearethewhites, May 07, 2017, 09:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wearethewhites

How would Khan & Co. deal with things this time around?

Made a complete and utter hash of things when they took over, refusing not to invest, whilst they observed the current season, when we was desperate for younger blood.

Held on to Jol for far to long, then appointed Rene and the Crab, with the ever interfering Curbishley.

Bought poorely over the January window, including the Greek, then installing the madman Magath, keeping him on the following season, to let him single handedly dismantle the team.

Makes me feel physically sick, just thinking about it..

However, Khan & Co. seem to have learned a bit more since that fiasco, and, if we do return, hope they have a much better business model.

Aim will be to survive, however, I hope they're not trigger happy and install trust in Slav if we go straight back down.

Returning to the Premiership this time around, will be a completely different kettle of fish, and just hope the Club is prepared.

Logicalman

... and on the bright side, they have now got a manager that exudes confidence and has managed to put together a team worthy of the play-offs and with a good shout of achieving the promotion we want.

I think if you're slagging the guy off for his mistakes, it's only fair to point out when did get something right.  :008:

Remember, the last time we got promotion there were fewer restrictions on bankrolling the team to the top.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Wearethewhites

Quote from: Logicalman on May 07, 2017, 09:16:37 PM
... and on the bright side, they have now got a manager that exudes confidence and has managed to put together a team worthy of the play-offs and with a good shout of achieving the promotion we want.

I think if you're slagging the guy off for his mistakes, it's only fair to point out when did get something right.  :008:

Remember, the last time we got promotion there were fewer restrictions on bankrolling the team to the top.

I think saying 'slagging the guy' is a bit OTT.

He got it horribly wrong, and you can't say that he didn't.

Yes, we've had a great season, but is most of that contrary to Slav an his abilities?

Fans still don't sing his name yet, and they won't, not until he's a recognised figure.

All am saying is, and the point of my post being, is how will they deal with it this time around.

I'm just hoping their business model is much better, and they realise we could be up and down a couple of times, before we come an established EPL team again.

faversham paul

Interesting how things change.
We now have excellent training facilities, excellent academy for youth development. A very good manager and coaching staff oh did I mention a decent side in the running for promotion to the premier league .
I think Mr khans vision is pretty much on track to be fair. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts investing in the stadium next or maybe he should just throw caution to the wind and sign big name players for big money and see where it takes us .
Blackburn former champions relegated crap owners no direction no empathy with there fans just no idea .
Still could be worse could be the khans running the club.

AlexW132

For me he's definitely improved as an owner. I'm happy with our current ownership structure and I'm sure he knows investment would be needed. I can imagine he'd come to a few more games as well.

faversham paul

I don't really care if he comes or not if he wants to stay in the background that suits me. I think his son has more day to day involvement.
He is the custodian of this club not the club .

davew

I think the Manager, his backroom staff and the squad of players deserve all the credit for what has been achieved, Khan and his close associates almost got us into Division 1 last season, ok his hands were tied in trying to build success, if we get promoted he has a free hand then it will be time to judge him, after all the only thing he offered FFC was his wealth (sorry)!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

davew

Statto we are on the same side then, except Mackintosh can go, more money has been wasted on players in the past than severance pay on him!

YankeeJim

So Khan almost got us relegated and Slav has almost got us promoted. If we don't win the play offs it'll be Khan's fault, right? If we do get promoted, it will be in spite of Khan?
What if he splashes another 10 mil on a striker and this one isn't hurt ala the Greek and has a heart, unlike Martin? Will that be due to Slav?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

davew

Quote from: YankeeJim on May 07, 2017, 11:22:06 PM
So Khan almost got us relegated and Slav has almost got us promoted. If we don't win the play offs it'll be Khan's fault, right? If we do get promoted, it will be in spite of Khan?
What if he splashes another 10 mil on a striker and this one isn't hurt ala the Greek and has a heart, unlike Martin? Will that be due to Slav?
Good evening, no Khan didn't almost get us relegated what he didn't do was enough to help us avoid almost getting relegated!! Your logic about where we are now is illogical, sorry! If we don't win the play offs it won't be Khan's fault and if we gain promotion it won't be in spite of Khan. The comments about Slav and the abortive money spent on many useless strikers which goes back long before Khan took over is not relevant to where we are at the moment, we should all enjoy the fact that we are only 3 games away from getting back to the only league that counts in England and only 1 man associated with FFC i.e. Mr. Khan has the means to keep us there, no FFP rules to hide behind, a great manager in charge, his son running the club, so let's hope he comes up Trumps (sorry to use that word)!

Wearethewhites

Erm, no, you're taking this as a direct attack at Khan, which it isn't, I merely asked the question as to how he, they, deal with it next time around. However you look at it, he, they, Ballsed it up big time, and got it wrong.

If we don't go up this season, it'll be no ones fault, it'll be a great season, after so much heartache after the last 3 years.

Hopefully, things are turning in our favour.

General

Khan made an investment with little knowledge of football or the club or how things work - we suffered but under Slav it feels like we've turned a corner.

If I'm being honest, I think any team that gets promoted to the premier league will need heavy investment in order to stay in the league as the amount of money that's in the league now is significantly more than when we were last there and I feel there's a gulf in quality.

I'd like to think the experience Khan has with the club and the footballing culture in england now would see him invest properly in the club and hopefully build something much more robust than previously.

YankeeJim

Quote from: Wearethewhites on May 07, 2017, 11:43:47 PM

Erm, no, you're taking this as a direct attack at Khan, which it isn't, I merely asked the question as to how he, they, deal with it next time around. However you look at it, he, they, Ballsed it up big time, and got it wrong.

If we don't go up this season, it'll be no ones fault, it'll be a great season, after so much heartache after the last 3 years.

Hopefully, things are turning in our favour.

Ok, I read you wrong. My apologies. There has been so much slamming of Khan one would think he hired 'airy.
I think, Mo slicked him. Mo hadn't invested and the team that Khan bought was just pathetic and old. Jol wasn't a great coach but he was given nothing to work with. Khan relied on staff over the Greek and it was an organisational error. Martin was the only thing the team could get at the time. The cheese man was a guy who must have had a great coaching staff  in Germany because he was a dumb as a stump when it came to FFC. The one charge that can accurately be leveled at Khan is that he knew nothing of English football. Mo's staff seems to have been a group of yes men who relied on Mo's brilliance. To his credit, Khan seems to have learned a thing or two from our several years of disaster and I feel that the future is great. Can FFC be another Leicester?
One can dream.......
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

NogoodBoyo

Quote from: davew on May 07, 2017, 11:17:13 PM
Statto we are on the same side then, except Mackintosh can go, more money has been wasted on players in the past than severance pay on him!

I can't believe I'm agreeing with both Statto and davew, says he grinning wide as a combine on a Wiltshire country lane.  But you are both right, although, as much as I think Macintosh has been a very poor influence on the club, I wouldn't recommend interfering with the management structure whilst the team and the club are doing so well. 
In essence, it's so nice to think about and debate the team's structure and performance rather than having to worry about the club's structure and performance which we have all had good reason to do all the way back to the last two years of Chairman Mo's reign.
The team is doing well because the management structure seems to be much more stable.  More focus on what it takes to succeed, less politics.  Khan's biggest challenges are to keep Slav and Huw Jennings happy and gainfully employed - by Fulham!
Nogood "management is an art and a science, isit" Boyo

..FOF..

One thing for sure, Fulham will still be an experimental testbed for Machine Learning in Tony Khan's stats company.

Let us just hope that their machine had learnt enough too from the past few years :)

Snibbo

Personally I think this season has shown that the structures and systems in place are largely working well. Of course they can be improved, but compare our transfer business with just about any other team, and it's been remarkably successful. Some real gems have been unearthed, and some underperformers and / or prima donnas got rid of. We've got a manager that just about any other team would take in a heartbeat. We're playing beautiful football and we've turned around from being close to relegation to being one of the best teams in the champ. I'm optimistic. Even if we don't win the playoffs, I think board and management deserve some recognition for this achievement.

toshes mate

The demise of Blackburn has once again opened the can of worms about all things owners and all things financial about the entire football structure in the UK, which, guys, has players out of work or struggling to make a living at one end whilst at the other players are looking to earn £60 a minute for every minute of their footballing lives.  Clearly there is something wrong when football's entire gate income is hopelessly short of financing the game and media coverage focuses on a tiny percentage of all clubs available for that coverage.   It isn't just Fulham who have suffered from crass financial management and ownership which is probably an inappropriate way of describing the short term fallibility of the Khan's.  Only a few clubs have the luxury of knowing they'll be in the PL forever and some of those will be never win it teams too.

Like most teams do every so often Fulham have stumbled upon the winning formula with SJ, his coaching staff and his (once) misfit of a team, turning ordinary players into people capable of realising their potential week in, week out, and turning some into stars, something we haven't had since Hughes's days. I'd just settle down and enjoy the golden age for as long as it lasts no matter who owns the Club.  I watched Scunthorpe v Millwall play off semifinal last night and the latter are in a bit of a golden age too  despite all the question marks about their ground.  Neil Harris has put a team together around Steve Morison who was instrumental in last night's win.  What goes on many miles away from the football is largely a private matter, conducted by private businessmen looking to make good or not do too bad.   At Fulham we could be much worse off as our recent past only too clearly reminds us.

hovewhite

The past is the past,khan can only effect the future as whats happened before are lessons learnt (hopefully)

MikeW

SJ: Someone mentioned that fans don't sing his name?

I'm no musician but it doesn't exactly roll of the tongue does it?  I think in modern day parlance - "a bit challenging!"
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."