watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Reading Fan Chat - playoffs Fulham v Reading

Started by daib0, May 12, 2017, 10:47:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daib0

I've usually, over the past few seasons, given a little introduction then asked you a few specific questions. But this time, seeing that we are happily involved in the play-offs - but one is never cocky if you've seen the Royals a number of years ago in the 4th tier! - I thought I'd expand a bit, and give you a bit more detailed information on the season 'down south' first.

Reading have proved to be a bit of a dark horse this season. After a slightly wobbly start the results have been surprisingly good really, especially at home but also certainly not a disgrace on the road either. However, we have had a few nasty reality checks - such as at Brentford where we were walloped 1-4, Newcastle away the same, and the almost disgraceful 0-5 scoreline away to yourselves in which the team hardly turned up! Also more recently we've suffered two lacklustre 0-3 losses away to both Brighton and Preston, and that even more disastrous 1-7 walloping at Norwich when we were on a fine run of form. So our GD is hardly healthy! Just +4 as it turned out after 46 games, a bit insane for a club on 85 points! This despite having secured twice as many victories (26) as losses (13).

However, it also sounds crazy but virtually all these appear to be one-offs (I don't think we've had more than 2 consecutive defeats all season) and in general we have been able to wear teams down with 'boring' possession football, and then scoring quite a few goals in the last quarter of an hour. Sometimes it's been fun, like when we were down 2-0 to Blackburn, then came storming back at the finish to win 3-2. But often not. If I'm dead honest it's often been ... 'drab' with our own supporters wondering how-on-earth we're up there! Of course our fans still remember recently and too well the infamous freefall descent from Clarke the previous season (went from play-offs to almost a relegation battle) so we are still not too optimistic yet! Back August it was extremely hard to find a Royals fan who even thought we'd finish top half, so whatever happens at the close this season it has been a big success and a big relief. I must say I thought Derby, Aston Villa and Norwich might have been even bigger threats, but that's all the better for both of us.

You are seen as a big club indeed for championship level down in the Thames Valley, and that is borne out by the bookies making Fulham favourites over the two legs. However, an interesting stat is that Reading have not lost at home to a top half club all season, so I personally feel that the first London game will be decisive for the Royals interests.. If you come back to the Thames Valley with a two or three goal (or more!) cushion it would be very unlikely we could pull it off - however if it's only an odd goal or a draw then I would see every hope for the Royals. I do think it will be close either way.

Just before the season started I had predicted for an article on Sky Sports for us to be flirting around play-offs, but then when have fans been objective? And yet we are sitting third at the end. Was it that teams didn't suss out our Dutch manager's more European type of game? I'm not sure. Unbelievable anyway. It would be difficult to find many Royals fans who think we are perfectly worthy of being there, if I'm honest the majority think we've been well over-achieving. So I don't think we'll feel the pressure that much; anything now is just a bonus.

The manager has talked of a three-year plan to get the club into the Premier. It's hard to comment on that. Anything quicker would be welcome news, but I get amused by these sort of long-term plans, as the championship is very competitive and it doesn't just depend on how we ourselves are playing - taking into consideration the other 23 teams that's an impossibility on long-term thinking, how do we even know how the others will be performing? On top of that virtually no team will even have the same manager in three years! I'm sure Reading will be again Premier league and even stick there during a number of seasons - historically you can certainly see we are on an upward trend from the dark years of the 70s, plus taking into consideration that this is a wealthy affluent zone, has a huge catchment area of the whole of the Thames Valley, probably no local rival to oust us as 'Thames Valley champs' for many a year, etc. ... just that I'd hate to put a date on it!

Any thoughts on the game, the Championship and yourselves, Leeds auto-explosion, and indeed on Reading of late would be most welcome, to tell my members on 'Royals Rendezvous'... for example:

A] How successful would you say your season has been up to this point, say between a '1' (awful)  and a '10' (top marks)? Has your success come as a surprise or were you expecting a strong push this time?

B] How do you feel the team will cope under the pressure of being generally being regarded as the favourites for the entire playoffs? Do you think it'll be an extra burden on the players?

C] Are you surprised that Reading actually stayed the course, when on forums of other clubs during the season many thought the Royals would tail off?

D] If Fulham go up or not - perhaps a word on the Chris Martin saga, which still appears to be up in the air. Will he make the move permanent in the summer? And are there likely to be a number of other players coming in, or are you pretty happy with the current squad?

E] Not a prediction as such - though you're welcome if you like - but how do you see the general play going over the two legs? Both sides play good possession stuff, so might one team go for it, or will both sit back and wait their opportunities?

Finally, just a mention that our own Match Presentation on Royals Rendezvous can be found here:
http://royalsrendezvous.co.uk/topic/30098684/1
and as always, fullest respect for the Cottagers, we never have any winding up on our forum, the mods see to that (but they're a good crowd, virtually never needed either!)

Here's to some great football, whatever the outcome. Any questions for us before the weekend or before the following game, just get back, it'll be a pleasure to reply ...

daib0/David
A friendly Reading FC fan! Job: CELLO MAN - see extensive web www.johnstone-music.com

Burt

Hi David,

Welcome back, always good to have you here :)

An interesting read, certainly a season of contrasts for you guys, but ultimately a successful one...

In answer to your questions:

A] How successful would you say your season has been up to this point, say between a '1' (awful)  and a '10' (top marks)? Has your success come as a surprise or were you expecting a strong push this time?

If I am honest, after two seasons flirting with relegation and the loss of our two goal scoring machines (Dembele and McCormack) I was not expecting the success we have had this season. I would have been happy with seeing some form of consolidation and a mid-table finish as a welcome relief to always looking over our shoulders. So for me it is an 8, rising to a 9 if we beat Reading over 2 legs, rising to a 10 if we do the business at Wembley!!

B] How do you feel the team will cope under the pressure of being generally being regarded as the favourites for the entire playoffs? Do you think it'll be an extra burden on the players?

For most of the season we have had the pressure of having to chase a play-off space, and the team responded well to that as the season progressed. We become more consistent, and strung results together, when we needed them most.

I think Joka will have been telling the team that Reading finished third for a reason, and will be trying to instill an underdog mentality so there will be no taking things for granted.

If the team maintain their consistency and style, then we are in with a good shout.

C] Are you surprised that Reading actually stayed the course, when on forums of other clubs during the season many thought the Royals would tail off?

I was expecting one of the contenders to have a wobble and had my money on either Reading or Leeds. To be fair to Reading they pulled it out when it mattered most, whereas Leeds fell apart.

D] If Fulham go up or not - perhaps a word on the Chris Martin saga, which still appears to be up in the air. Will he make the move permanent in the summer? And are there likely to be a number of other players coming in, or are you pretty happy with the current squad?

Generally speaking we will need a bit of an overhaul if we go up. We have the nucleus of a good squad but there are weak links which need to be addressed else we will do a Boro and come right back down again.

I doubt whether Chris Martin will ever set the premier league alight so would be surprised if he featured again for us were we to be promoted. In the Championship, putting aside his ill-advised "strike", to be fair to him he has put in a shift whenever he's on the pitch.

E] Not a prediction as such - though you're welcome if you like - but how do you see the general play going over the two legs? Both sides play good possession stuff, so might one team go for it, or will both sit back and wait their opportunities?

I think it is going to be very tight. We tend to save our best stuff for away games so I am going for a draw at home and a narrow win at the Madjeski, which will be some achievement given your strong record at home against the top clubs.

I just hope it doesn't go to penalties, as we have a disastrous record this season (9 missed, I think).

Southcoastffc

A] How successful would you say your season has been up to this point, say between a '1' (awful)  and a '10' (top marks)? Has your success come as a surprise or were you expecting a strong push this time?   8 - hoped for a consolidation (top ten) season with a view to a proper promotion push next year.  We were in such a mess that beyond that seemed out of the question.

B] How do you feel the team will cope under the pressure of being generally being regarded as the favourites for the entire playoffs? Do you think it'll be an extra burden on the players?   If they listen to Slavisa, there'll be no pressure. He appears to be an excellent man manager.  However, I thought the Brentford game (when we needed to do at least as well as Leeds to clinch a play-off place) showed  nervous tension.  In a way, the nerves in that game may have done us good because SJ will have taken that on board.

C] Are you surprised that Reading actually stayed the course, when on forums of other clubs during the season many thought the Royals would tail off?  Yes.  My impression is that your  have been a bit erratic.

D] If Fulham go up or not - perhaps a word on the Chris Martin saga, which still appears to be up in the air. Will he make the move permanent in the summer? And are there likely to be a number of other players coming in, or are you pretty happy with the current squad?   Pretty happy, but of course can always be strengthened and we need to deal properly with what has too often been a dodgy back 4.  As to Chris Martin, who knows.  It'd be good to see that situation resolved once and for all.  Not sure he's really a Prem player though.

E] Not a prediction as such - though you're welcome if you like - but how do you see the general play going over the two legs? Both sides play good possession stuff, so might one team go for it, or will both sit back and wait their opportunities?   We'll try to play our usual possession game and could easily get 2/3 goals in either game but much depends on how tight a game you play.   Pull everyone back and we might work a way through - we have players who can do that.  Leave space and we will work a way through.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Lighthouse

It is an 8 for me. We really have had to come from a relegation threatened side last season and one dismissed by many this season. We sold our strikers and only brought in a loan striker. Our defence is a bit iffy without a strong central defender. Yet the team and the style of football has made us one of the most entertaining sides.

Well we finished 4th in a league of 4 and you finished 1st. So the bookies odds mean nothing to me. You are clearly favourites on league position and form. I just don't buy into this favourites tag.

I expected Reading to do a 'Huddersfield' at one point. Then they scraped by in a few games and ended up strong and looking comfortable while the others lost form at various moments.

Martin has just not turned up in some games. He adds something we don't have so we need a better replacement. On paper we just don't have a strong spine to the team. No forward, iffy defence and keepers that both have glaring faults. It makes no sense we are where we are other than we work as a team in the style we play. But we are vulnerable to the up and at em teams. We need additions in the spine of the team except midfield. 

I see both teams being stronger away from home ironically. I wouldn't be shocked to be a goal down at home. Hopefully not more. But away from home we may be able to claw it back. However this is one set of games where home advantage may not be worth much. It will be cagey and a bit claustrophobic in the first leg. The second leg both teams will know what they  will have to do. All in all both teams should be really pleased with the season. The big question will be how the losers react next season.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Bassey the warrior

Slavisa has worked miracles with this squad. Many of the players in the squad are playing the best football of their career - such as Cairney, Malone, Ream and Fredericks. He's been hamstrung somewhat by the failure of the club to sign a permanent striker but he's more than adapted to this.

It's a big surprise to me. We've been in a slump for years now and we sold our best players in the summer. No one could have predicted we'd have scored 82 goals without signing a permanent striker to replace them.

The style of play is very easy on the eye and we're playing exactly how I love teams to play. A million miles nicer to watch than under the last few managers.

It's bound to have an affect on the players and it's Slavisa's job (with Scotty Parker hopefully helping too) to keep their focus and keep them calm. We aren't the favourites really though, Reading finished third, so you must be the favourites. We are in great form though, so we'll feel confident.

A little bit, but Huddersfield, Reading and Fulham wouldn't have been many people's choices to finish in the top 6 at the start of the season. Stam has done a great job with you guys as you haven't spent a lot, just like we haven't. You play the right way and by and large keep it tight at the back.

I don't like him as he's too lazy and his finishing hasn't justified his laziness. Missing so many penalties is inexcusable for a striker. And of course going on strike is not acceptable given how much he's been paid, I don't see why he couldn't have just waited until the end of the loan. We can and should do better than Chris Martin next season.
However, we don't have any other strikers that play with their back to goal in the squad so he still has a role to play this season.

Could go either way. Reading's best hope is to play very direct as Fulham struggle against this. One thing for sure is Fulham will need to play much better than against Brentford, I was at that game and we were below our normal level, even though Brentford had nothing to play for. Nerves overcame our natural game on that day and I hope that doesn't happen again.

daib0

fantastic replies chaps. Our members will be delighted. Must admit, I'm getting a bit nervous even though I said that anything now was just a bonus!!
A friendly Reading FC fan! Job: CELLO MAN - see extensive web www.johnstone-music.com

toshes mate

There was a point, early on in the season, oh okay just after we beat Newcastle, that I thought we'd win the Championship and get automatic promotion.  By end of August I could see a few holes in my belief especially as the team was unsettled but, to balance against that, I could see the good work being done by our head coach and his team.  There was promise and the only worrying feature was how long it would take to get the team to gel.  I was hoping for earlier than Xmas but, as it turned out, our last twenty three games saw us in Championship winning form with a record equal to the eventual winners.  I believe momentum is everything in football and so the semifinal against Reading will be tough with both team showing reasonable form for games that hardly ever turn out as expected.  There'll need to be some cool, calm and collected heads out there on Saturday and Tuesday, the cooler, calmer and more collected heads will win the tie.

The Martin saga I will ignore as it is a bit of a distraction that has been played out to too many deaths already.  I think he'll go. 

Not quite in the order or method requested but I think I've covered everything.   Hope we see two good games.

Burt