watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (16/05/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 16, 2017, 07:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

READING FC: Paul McShane blames Neeskens Kebano for pulling him down before crunching red-card tackle

Paul McShane was red carded for this tackle on Kevin McDonald. Pictures: Jason Dawson/jasonpix

READING FC captain Paul McShane blamed his red-card challenge on being 'pulled back' by Neeskens Kebano in the wake of Royals' 1-1 draw against Fulham in the play-off semi-final.

The skipper was sent straight down the tunnel on Saturday afternoon after he appeared to lunge at Fulham's Kevin McDonald, catching the midfielder on the knee.

The Cottagers immediately surrounded referee Stuart Attwell who walked across to consult with his assistant before brandishing the red card.

The pressure was on Reading to see out the final 11 minutes of the game, but they held on for a draw which they can take into the second-leg at Madejski Stadium tomorrow (Tuesday) night.

However, posting on social media, 31-year-old McShane insisted he tried to take the ball.

He said: "Great performance from everyone yesterday but still hard work to be done.

"I have to take my red on the chin but it was a genuine attempt to win a breaking ball. I was pulled back which meant I'm leaning back & why my foot has gone high.

"Keep the faith."

Reading will not be appealing McShane's red card and a three-match ban which means he will miss the semi-final second-leg plus the final at Wembley should Royals get there and the first game of next season.

If Reading lose on Tuesday, McShane would miss the first two matches of next season.

However, Royals boss Stam has Joey van den Berg fit-again for selection after his recent spell on the sidelines.

And the manager is confident Reading can cope without their captain.

"I saw a replay and Macca is not a player who does that on purpose," he argued. "He went for the ball, he tried to reach it, but their player nicked it in front of him. He was a bit late and caught the player on the knee.

"When Paul has been out with injuries other players have stepped up, so we can still win the next game without him.

"Macca is a very important piece of the puzzle but we trust all our players, we're confident we can still do well.

"From what I saw today I know we can do it. We're confident in what we can bring to the game.

"Fulham are a very talented team and even though we have home advantage is doesn't guarantee anything."

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport/readingfc/15285591.READING_FC__Paul_McShane_blames_Neeskens_Kebano_for_pulling_him_down_before_crunching_tackle/

WhiteJC

Were Cardiff City right to show Scott Malone the exit door for Jazz Richards last summer?

Cardiff City traded Scott Malone for Welsh international Jazz Richards last summer, but were they right to do so?

It's safe to say Malone has gone on to bigger and better things since leaving Cardiff in the summer and he's now enjoying the Championship play-offs with an impressive Fulham side.

He was even named in the EFL Team of the Year after a terrific season as left-back at Craven Cottage.

It's something many Cardiff fans wouldn't have seen coming with the majority being highly critical of his performances in a Bluebirds shirt.

However, the 26-year-old did show glimpses of class during his time in South Wales, even if he wasn't reaching the heights he is now.

A pin-point cross onto the head of Kenwyne Jones on a bobbly pitch at Sheffield Wednesday springs to mind – one of his more memorable contributions.

And he has shown much more of that since joining Fulham, becoming hugely important this season with his forward runs creating a whole host of goals, including an excellent team goal in the 1-1 draw with Reading in the play-offs on the weekend, a goal owed to the left-back's endeavour.

However, the 26-year-old did show glimpses of class during his time in South Wales, even if he wasn't reaching the heights he is now.

A pin-point cross onto the head of Kenwyne Jones on a bobbly pitch at Sheffield Wednesday springs to mind – one of his more memorable contributions.

And he has shown much more of that since joining Fulham, becoming hugely important this season with his forward runs creating a whole host of goals, including an excellent team goal in the 1-1 draw with Reading in the play-offs on the weekend, a goal owed to the left-back's endeavour.

Richards has since become a key part of the Bluebirds' back-line and while it remains to be seen whether he has the defensive game to be involved regularly in a promotion push, he hasn't done himself any harm this season.

There's no doubt that from this season's evidence, Fulham have had the better end of the swap deal.

However, Jazz Richards hasn't disappointed since his move back to South Wales and it's not a deal the club will be regretting just yet.

Scott Malone was a very decent player on a technical level for the Bluebirds, but he certainly didn't show the endeavour and commitment he has under Slavisa Jokanovic during his spell with Cardiff.

A lack of desire is unforgivable as far as Cardiff fans are concerned, and that coupled with the fact they share a real identity with a Welsh international in Jazz Richards means they will seldom regret the business done by their club last summer.

http://www.insidewelshfootball.co.uk/cardiff-city-scott-malone-exit-door/

WhiteJC

Reading captain Paul McShane defends himself after Fulham red card during Play-off semi final first leg

The Irishman was sent off on 80 minutes having received a straight red for his challenge on Kevin McDonald, but he's taken to Twitter to defend himself

Reading captain Paul McShane has defended himself after he received a straight red card in the 1-1 Play-off semi final draw with Fulham on Saturday.

Referee Stuart Attwell gave the Irishman a straight red after his studs up challenge on Kevin McDonald 80 minutes into the tie - something that means he will miss the second leg tomorrow night.

Attwell spoke to his assistant before issuing the red to the Reading captain, but he has taken to Twitter to defend his actions, insisting he was tugged back seconds before making the challenge.

He said on Twitter: "Great performance from everyone yesterday [Saturday] but still hard work to be done.

"I have to take my red on the chin but it was a genuine attempt to win a breaking ball.

"I was pulled back which meant I'm leaning back and why my foot has gone high. Keep the faith #urzz"

Both sides are back in action tomorrow (Tuesday night) at 7.45pm in the second leg of the tie.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reading-captain-paul-mcshane-defends-13035059

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic says play-off semi-final remains wide open against Reading FC

The two sides will do battle again at Madejski Stadium on Tuesday night after a draw on Saturday

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic insists that everything is open for the Championship play-off semi-final with Reading FC on Tuesday night.

The two sides will do battle again at the Madejski Stadium in the second leg, having drawn 1-1 at Craven Cottage on Saturday.

And Jokanovic believes that anything is still possible in the tie, after Tom Cairney cancelled out Jordan Obita's strike.

"We cannot be completely satisfied not to win the game," Jokanovic said.

"I expected a hard and tough game. We find this situation in the pitch. I believe we could have won the game.

"The result is what it is. Everything is open for the game we're going to play on Tuesday night."

Jokanovic was asked for his opinion on Reading's opener, after replays showed that the ball appeared to have been handled by Royals midfielder Danny Williams, but the Whites boss was philosophical about the incident.

"It can be a free-kick," he said.

"They touch the ball with a hand. It's a complicated game. Sometimes referees make mistakes. We made mistakes. We must prepare and must be ready for Tuesday night.

"We are always confident. We have a chance to enjoy the game. We are showing clear progress in the game. Only one team will survive Tuesday night.

"I believe in my players that they're strong enough and they will play with enough confidence to win the game."

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-slavisa-jokanovic-anything-13031836

WhiteJC

Tom Cairney insists Fulham will go to the Madejski with every confidence that they can outscore Reading

The two sides played out a 1-1 draw in the first leg at Craven Cottage on Saturday and the Fulham goalscorer is confident that his side can outscore anyone

Tom Cairney insists that Fulham will go to the Madejski Stadium with every confidence of progressing to the Play-off final after their 1-1 draw with Reading on Saturday.

The two teams meet again on Tuesday night in a 7.45pm kick off in their second leg tie with the game finely poised thanks to Jordan Obita and Cairney's goals at Craven Cottage, with the winner taking all tomorrow night.

Reading look like they will be without their goalscorer tomorrow night after he was stretchered off at the final whistle on Saturday, while captain Paul McShane will also miss out after he was shown a straight red card for a studs up challenge on Kevin McDonald.

The game will also see the league's second best home record go up against the second best away record, and Cairney believes Fulham will go there full of confidence and with the belief they can outscore their opponents from down the M4.

He said: "We've won a lot of points from losing positions this season and we're quite high in the league for that and I always believe that we'll create chances and that we'll score goals.

"I think it will be just as tight on Tuesday but hopefully we can hit the back of the net.

Tom Cairney celebrates (Photo: Get Reading)

"I think our away form has been brilliant all season and we'll go there full of confidence and maybe they'll come out more, especially at home, but they'll be a threat going forward and we need to be solid at the back so it could be end-to-end like it was a little bit in the second half.

"We have to do what we've done all season and what has got us into this position - we got to dominate the ball from the start even though that was very tough today (Saturday) and create chances.

"It may give us more room so we can attack a bit more but we don't know yet and it depends how they set up.

"It was really cagey first 20 minutes and you could see from the way they set up we cancelled each other out a little bit but there is a hell of a lot on the line so it's to be expected.

"There's a lot of ability in that dressing room and we're the highest scorers in the league for a reason and we believe we can outscore teams, especially over two legs and then it's a bit of a lottery in the final."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tom-cairney-insists-fulham-go-13035275

WhiteJC

Recap Monday's Reading FC news as build-up starts for Fulham semi-final

Royals take on the Whites on Tuesday night in the play-off semi-final second leg

Reading FC are halfway to a Wembley play-off final.

Jaap Stam's side drew 1-1 at Fulham in the first leg of the semi-final on Saturday evening.

And it's now up to Royals to finish the job in the return leg at Madejski Stadium on Tuesday night (7.45pm kick-off).

It's one of the biggest games for Reading in years as they lie tantalisingly close to the Premier League.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reading-fc-live-build-up-13035033

WhiteJC

Burton keen to sign Woodrow from Fulham

Burton Albion will try to sign Cauley Woodrow on a permanent deal from Fulham this summer.

The 22-year-old scored five goals in 14 appearances for the Brewers after joining on loan in January.

Woodrow has just a year left on his Whites contract and his future at the club is undecided.

Midfielder Lasse Vigen Christensen also joined Burton on loan from Fulham in January but the Midlands club are not currently interested in a permanent deal.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/burton-keen-sign-fulham-man

WhiteJC

Cairney feels Fulham can deliver at Reading
by Dan on May 15, 2017

Tom Cairney feels that Fulham's resilience, goalscoring record and outstanding away form means that they will travel to Reading for tomorrow night's pivotal play-off semi-final second leg in confident mood.

The Fulham captain, who scored the second half header that levelled the tie on Saturday, told GetWestLondon that he believes his team can deliver a winning performance at the Madjeski Stadium on Tuesday, despite Reading's almost unsurpassable home record this season. Cairney also believes that Slavisa Jokanovic's side's resilience could be a crucial quality in what may turn out to be another tight affair.

We've won a lot of points from losing positions this season and we're quite high in the league for that and I always believe that we'll create chances and that we'll score goals. I think it will be just as tight on Tuesday but hopefully we can hit the back of the net.

I think our away form has been brilliant all season and we'll go there full of confidence and maybe they'll come out more, especially at home, but they'll be a threat going forward and we need to be solid at the back so it could be end-to-end like it was a little bit in the second half.

We have to do what we've done all season and what has got us into this position – we got to dominate the ball from the start even though that was very tough [on Saturday] and create chances. It may give us more room so we can attack a bit more but we don't know yet and it depends how they set up. It was really cagey first 20 minutes and you could see from the way they set up we cancelled each other out a little bit but there is a hell of a lot on the line so it's to be expected.

Cairney also restated his confidence in the quality that Jokanovic has at his disposal – and is revelling in the opportunity to show what Fulham can do in these crucial contests.

There's a lot of ability in that dressing room and we're the highest scorers in the league for a reason and we believe we can outscore teams, especially over two legs and then it's a bit of a lottery in the final.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/05/cairney-feels-fulham-can-deliver-at-reading/

WhiteJC

Reading players want to make the step up for their captain Paul McShane

Reading's players have vowed to win promotion to the Premier League for suspended skipper Paul McShane.

The defender, who battled back from injury to line up in the play-off semi-final first leg against Fulham at Craven Cottage on Saturday, was shown a straight red card for a challenge on Kevin McDonald.

McShane will now miss Tuesday's second leg, finely poised at 1-1 after Tom Cairney's header for Fulham cancelled out Jordan Obita's opener, and the final should Reading get there.

But goalkeeper Ali Al Habsi is determined McShane's next match in a Reading shirt will be as a Premier League player.

Al Habsi said: "Everyone feels sorry for Macca that he won't be playing - but I feel sure we can win the match and get to Wembley and the Premier League for him.

"Macca has been fantastic since he came to Reading as skipper, he has the respect of the players and the fans.

"We are very disappointed what has happened to him, he worked so hard to recover from injury and get back in the team.

"It was a blow losing him and for the second leg, one of those things. We were so happy to see him back as skipper after his injuries, he is important for the team.

"But after the red card we defended really well, all the players concentrated really well.

"We lost a key player in Macca, that can happen, but the squad has been fantastic all season and we will manage to play well without him.

"We had to play many games without him this season through injury but it is unfortunate as he played so well in the first 80 minutes on Saturday."

Reading boss Jaap Stam is waiting on the fitness of Obita for Tuesday's second leg after he twisted an ankle towards the end of Saturday's draw.

It also remains to be seen if midfielder Liam Kelly has shaken off the illness that forced him to sit out the trip to Craven Cottage.

https://www.clubcall.com/fulham/reading-players-want-to-make-the-step-up-for-their-captain-p-1851518.html

WhiteJC

Fulham 1-1 Reading: Things you may have missed from the Championship Play-off semi final first leg

There was a lot going on at Craven Cottage during the first leg of the Championship Play-offs, here's what you may have missed in all the excitement

Fulham and Reading played out a 1-1 draw at Craven Cottage in their Play-off semi-final first leg, with Tom Cairney netting the equaliser for the hosts.

Jordan Obita had given the away side the lead, but Cairney pegged them back before Paul McShane was sent off for a studs up challenge on Kevin McDonald with only ten minutes remaining in the tie.

Obita was also stretchered off at the end and may miss tomorrow's game at the Medejski, where Fulham will look to beat Reading in order to book their place in the Play-off final at Wembley on Monday May 29.

Here's what you may have missed from the Cottage on Saturday.

Fulham's new training tops
Everyone loves a new kit, and Fulham were sporting some new gear on the weekend which you may have missed if you were busy trying to keep the nerves at bay before kick off.

The club released their new training tops for next season and walked out for their Play-off semi final with them on and I must say, they looked very smart.

The top half is black, the bottom is white and it looked good enough to sport pre-game at Anfield, Stamford Bridge and Old Trafford - now it's just up to the team to get there.

Shahid Khan was in attendance

Fulham owner Shahid Khan

The Fulham owner, who had watched the side at Motspur in midweek as they were put through their paces ahead of the game, was in attendance on Saturday at the Cottage.

Khan, whose son, Tony is heavily involved in Fulham's recruitment and is now Director of Football Operations at Fulham, watched from the Director's Box as Jaap Stam did a job on Slavisa Jokanovic's side, suffocating their play and not allowing them to use the wings as they would've liked.

It remains to be seen whether he will be at the Mad Stad tomorrow, but he will still be extremely hopeful he'll be the owner of a Premier League club next season after what he saw at the Cottage.

The top of the Johnny Haynes stand joining Reading in time wasting
We all saw how long Reading took to take throw-ins and corners pretty much from the off, it was part of the plan to not allow Fulham to get into any kind of rhythm and it worked for the most part.

It's part and parcel of the game and you would expect it - if Fulham are 2-1 on Tuesday with ten minutes left it would be the exact same the other way round.

What you don't expect, however, is for the roof of the Johnny Haynes stand to join the away team in keeping the clock ticking away without giving the ball back.

That happened when a Reading defender booted the ball into the touch, with Scott Malone looking up waiting for the ball to roll down and drop into his arms.

It took some time, and the left back's frustration was clear when he stood there with his arms outstretched, almost saying to the stand "you can't be serious?!"

Reading won't be able to time waste to the same extent they did on Saturday, but if either team is defending a lead I wouldn't be surprised to see it.

Neeskens Kebano's pull on Paul McShane

Horror challenge: Paul McShane earns himself a red card for a high tackle on Kevin McDonald (Photo: Getty Images Europe)

Yeah... we didn't see this one either but that was the Reading captain's defence for his horrible challenge on Kevin McDonald late in the game.

Looking at the replays, McShane has his arm on Kebano and vice-versa in the initial tangle, but if there is anywhere near enough pressure to send the Irishman over with his studs up that high over the ball then we may as well stop playing football and go home.

In my books, it's a poor excuse and an even poorer challenge and it could end up costing Reading big time.

Another thing you may not have seen when this happened was how quickly Slavisa Jokanovic was out of his technical area and onto the pitch, it was almost a throwback to his playing days and I'm sure Stuart Attwell may have wet his pants a bit when he saw the Serbian rushing onto the pitch.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-1-1-reading-things-13035642

WhiteJC

Report: Ipswich Town and Burton Albion vying to land Fulham's Cauley Woodrow

The Fulham striker is said to have been wanted by Ipswich Town before his January switch to Burton Albion on loan.

Ipswich Town and Burton Albion are vying to sign Fulham striker Cauley Woodrow, The Mirror reports [15 May, page 44].

Woodrow has returned to Craven Cottage following a successful half-season loan with Burton, for whom he scored five goals and created two in 14 outings.

However, Ipswich were previously linked with a move for the 22-year-old [The Sun] and appear keen to get their man second time around.

Woodrow has struggled for regular game time under Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic and is unlikely to feature in the Serbian's plans next season, whether the Cottagers are promoted or not.

And the London club shouldn't require much persuading to part with the England Under-21 international, given his contract expires at the end of next season.

Ipswich and Burton, who finished four points and one point above the Championship's bottom three in 2016-17, were also among the division's lowest scorers - finding the net on 48 and 49 occasions respectively.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/05/15/report-ipswich-town-and-burton-albion-vying-to-land-fulhams-caul/

WhiteJC

Tom Cairney full of belief that Fulham can overcome Reading and get to Wembley

Fulham drew 1-1 with the Royals in the play-off semi-final first leg, with Cairney getting on the scoresheet.

Fulham midfielder Tom Cairney is confident that the Whites will finish the job and reach Wembley for the play-off final having drawn their play-off semi-final first leg 1-1 with Reading, as reports Get West London.

The 26-year-old grabbed an equaliser for Fulham after Jonathan Obita put the Royals in front at Craven Cottage, and the tie is finely poised ahead of the second leg in Reading, where it is essentially winner takes all.

Reading will also be without the services of key centre back Paul McShane, who was shown a straight red card for a truly horrendous tackle on Kevin McDonald in the second half, while goalscorer Obita was stretchered off after the final whistle had blown.

Speaking ahead of the second leg, Cairney believes that Fulham's impressive away form and ability to score goals for fun will pay dividends with the two clash on Tuesday night, and is expecting a very end-to-end encounter at the Madejski Stadium.

"I think it will be just as tight on Tuesday but hopefully we can hit the back of the net," Cairney said, as reports Get West London.

"I think our away form has been brilliant all season and we'll go there full of confidence and maybe they'll come out more, especially at home, but they'll be a threat going forward and we need to be solid at the back so it could be end-to-end like it was a little bit in the second half.

"There's a lot of ability in that dressing room and we're the highest scorers in the league for a reason and we believe we can outscore teams, especially over two legs and then it's a bit of a lottery in the final."

The clash makes for a very interesting battle given Reading's home form and how Fulham fare away, with Reading only losing twice at home in the Championship, while Fulham have lost just five of their 25 away trips in all competitions this season.

On a personal level, Cairney has had an excellent campaign for Fulham, scoring 13 goals and claiming 10 assists as Slavisa Jokanovic's Fulham finished the season in sixth position.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/05/15/tom-cairney-full-of-belief-that-fulham-can-overcome-reading-and/

WhiteJC

A group of Brentford fans descended on Putney 'just to fight' Fulham supporters after Championship play-off match with Reading

A group of Brentford FC supporters went to Putney after this weekend's play-off match allegedly "just to fight" Fulham FC fans.

A source told the Wandsworth Guardian police had approached "most of the venues" near Putney Station on May 13 to warn them of a group of 15 to 20 men "causing trouble".

Fulham, who are favourites to be promoted to the Premier League, were playing Reading in the play-off semi-finals at Craven Cottage.

The match ended just before 7.30pm and there was a "significant" police presence in Upper Richmond Road.

Our source said: "They were causing trouble at most venues around Putney.

"It was stupid because their team was not even playing.

"They came down just to fight.

"At one point they had to escort Fulham supporters to safety."

Fulham supporter Jay Adlington, who was at the match on Saturday, said: "We did notice the extra police on Saturday, but thought it was just a precaution for the play-offs."

Brentford FC declined to comment.

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/local/wandsworthnews/15286662.A_group_of_Brentford_fans_descended_on_Putney____just_to_fight____Fulham_supporters_after_a_playoff_match/

WhiteJC

Newcastle United should definitely fork out £20m for Fulham's star man Tom Cairney

The Fulham and Scotland midfielder has been head and shoulders above pretty much everyone else this season.

While Newcastle United have been quoted £20million if they wish to land Fulham midfielder Tom Cairney, as reports the Mirror covered by the Daily Express, it is a price they should pay for a truly special talent.

The 26-year-old has had a phenomenal season with Fulham, scoring 13 goals and claiming 10 assists from midfield - including an absolute thunderbolt against Newcastle at St James' Park in a 3-1 victory for the Whites.

Newcastle have been hot on the heels of Cairney's signature for quite some time and were willing to make a £10million move in the summer, as reports The Mirror, though that figure has now doubled in an attempt to ward off potential suitors.

It is very easy to see why that figure has been doubled, as Cairney is essentially a team on his own - both intelligent and strong on and off the ball, brilliant in possession and a threat from anywhere in the opposition half due to his passing accuracy and tendency to fire one in from range.

Bizarrely, Cairney has yet to return to the top flight since being relegated from it in the 2009/10 season with Hull City, with the then 19-year-old bagging one goal in 11 appearances, but he has shown this season he has every attribute needed to become a success in the Premier League.

A lot depends on whether Fulham get promoted or not, as if they are, they presumably will not entertain any bids for their star man, but if Newcastle can make this transfer happen, they definitely should.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/05/15/cb-newcastle-united-should-definitely-fork-out-20m-for-fulhams-s/

WhiteJC

Reading vs Fulham: Where can Slavisa Jokanovic's side do the most damage at the Madejski Stadium?

Reading executed their plan to near perfection on Saturday, now Fulham will have to do the same at the Mad Stad tomorrow night in return

Reading came to Craven Cottage on Saturday with a game plan that they executed to near perfection.

They suffocated Fulham , pressed them high and broke up the game as much as possible to ensure that the hosts couldn't get into their rhythm at all.

And fair play to them.

There's been a lot of complaints from some home sections about the style that Reading played on Saturday , and despite it not being pretty they did what they had to do.

In a two-legged game, no side is ever going to go gung-ho in the first leg away from home against the league's top scorers, it'd be the equivalent of suicide.

But how do Fulham turn the game round and do exactly what Jaap Stam did them at the Madejski Stadium?

Well, the sending off of Paul McShane and the unfortunate injury to Jordan Obita can help them massively tomorrow night as it forces Reading to change from the way they played at Craven Cottage.

Obita had the better of Ryan Fredericks for the majority of the game, and the only time the Fulham man really got round him was in the final moments of the game when he whipped in a delightful ball across the face of goal which no one in white was able to get onto.

Suffocating the opposition: Reading crowd out Tom Cairney (Photo: Eddie Greville)

That is where Fulham can do the most damage this time around.

Reading can't afford to do the same as they did at Craven Cottage, they're in front of their own fans and will have to attack at some stage if they want to win the tie outright.

Losing Obita also means that Fredericks won't be shackled in the same way he was on Saturday and Stam will have to come up with another game plan to stop the fullback from getting forward.

The three centre backs may not work either, with McShane's sending off meaning they are forced to rely on Liam Moore to keep the back line disciplined against a front three that are always moving, especially Floyd Ayite and Sone Aluko.

If I was Slavisa Jokanovic, I'd be tempted to go to the false nine as opposed to using Chris Martin - the gameplan just didn't work on Saturday and despite the forward taking up good positions he was never able to make leeway with the ball with the three centre backs and Danny Williams crowding him out.

It's a big game, the biggest of Fulham's season, but I'd play Ryan Sessegnon on the left with Ayite and Aluko and really use the width at the Mad Stad to Fulham's advantage.

Down the wing: Ryan Fredericks tries to his luck down the flanks (Photo: Get Reading)

Fulham were most dangerous on the wings, as they have been all season - the best chances came down the flanks, the left flank in particular, where Scott Malone picked out Aluko in the first half who should've scored, while Tom Cairney, Malone and Ayite combined down the left to score the equaliser.

That is where Fulham can hurt Reading tomorrow.

There will be times when Reading pour forward on the attack, roared on by their home fans and that is when Fulham need to strike.

Think back to Huddersfield - an intense pressing game from the away side led to mistake after mistake from David Wagner's side and they exploited the space left on the wings to devastating effect.

Williams was outstanding for Reading on Saturday in the Kevin McDonald role, he did a cracking job between the back four and the midfield in breaking up Fulham's play and trying to stop Cairney, but as we saw for the goal Fulham will get chances, they just need to take them.

Tomorrow won't be a pretty game, but if Jokanovic's side can soak up some pressure, use the wings and hit them on the counter they can get themselves to Wembley.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reading-vs-fulham-can-slavisa-13037058

WhiteJC

Reading v Fulham
TUE, 16 May 2017Championship - 2nd Leg
Venue: Madejski Stadium

Jordan Obita scored Reading's goal in the first leg but is an injury doubt for the return

Sky Bet Championship play-off semi-final second leg
Coverage: Live radio commentary on BBC Radio Berkshire and BBC Radio London; live text commentary on the BBC Sport website and app

Reading will be without captain Paul McShane through suspension after his red card during the 1-1 draw in the first leg against Fulham.

Jordan Obita, their goalscorer on Saturday, is doubtful having been taken off with an ankle problem at full-time.

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic has no fresh injury concerns and could name the same starting line-up.

Defenders Ragnar Sigurdsson (calf) and Michael Madl (ankle) remain out but could return if Fulham make the final.

Reading, who finished third in the table, will hope to protect a home record of just two defeats in the regular season and repeat their 1-0 win against Fulham in January to book a place at Wembley.

Fulham have never scored more than one goal in a play-off match. Tom Cairney's header in the first leg was just their second goal in five play-off games.

Reading manager Jaap Stam told BBC Radio Berkshire:
"We've got options if Jordan Obita is doubtful and that's the good thing about having a big squad.

"We've had players coming back into the squad too recently from injuries as well and you need those options to be able to make changes.

"Everyone's excited for the second leg, but there's still a game to play against a very good side, even though you've got home advantage.

"We need to be aware of that and they need to score. It's going to be a very interesting game with two very good teams playing against each other, so let's just wait and see what's going to happen."

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic told BBC Radio London:
"I'm an optimist, I believe in my players and they believe in themselves and they've shown in the first leg that they play with confidence.

"Reading put us in a complicated situation (in the first leg) and we didn't find enough space for our combinations and we didn't move the ball with enough pace.

"But I believe we will show our personality as a team in the return leg.

"I'm not scared about the situation, that's football and yes there's potential for a penalty shoot-out, but there's one game in front of us and that's all."

Analysis
Nick Godwin, BBC Radio London

Fulham found themselves frustrated by Reading's combative approach on Saturday. It was difficult to play their usual expansive game for long periods.

Presumably Reading will have to change their approach at home, and that may allow some of the Cottagers' technical players to contribute more.

Slavisa Jokanovic must decide whether or not to start Chris Martin tomorrow. He offers a focal point to the attack and has valuable experience of exactly this sort of occasion.

However Fulham were offensively better when he came off on Saturday and Sone Aluko was pushed furthest forward.

Match facts
    Reading are unbeaten in their past four home matches against Fulham (W2 D2) in all competitions.
    The Royals have lost just two of their past 10 games (including play-offs), winning seven (D1 L2).
    Reading have won just once in five home play-off matches, failing to score on four occasions (D2 L2).
    Fulham have lost both previous away games in the play-offs without netting a single goal - 0-1 v Bristol Rovers (1989) and 0-1 v Grimsby Town (1998).
    After his first leg goal at Craven Cottage, no Championship midfielder has been involved in more goals this season (including play-offs) than Tom Cairney (23 - 13 goals, 10 assists).
    The team that finished sixth in the Championship has won promotion via the play-offs just once in the last 11 seasons - Blackpool in 2009-10.
    The Royals will be hoping to make it to their first play-off final since 2010-11, but they have failed to win promotion from all five of their previous play-off campaigns.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39853033

WhiteJC

MATCH PREVIEW: Reading Vs Fulham

Tomorrow (May 15) sees the second leg of the Sky Bet Championship Play-Off Semi final between Reading and Fulham take place.

And it's all to play for in the second leg, following a 1-1 draw in the opener at Craven Cottage.

Jordan Obita's goal early in the second half was quickly cancelled out by Tom Cairney's equaliser for Fulham, meaning the second leg really is winner takes all.

Reading captain Paul McShane will miss the second leg after he was shown a red card towards the end of the 1-1 on Saturday (May 13).

Their goalscorer on Saturday, Jordan Obita, is also doubtful, after he was withdrawn with an ankle injury.

On the other hand, Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic has no new injuries concerns to contend with.

Fulham are unbeaten in their last six Sky Bet Championship games, whilst Reading have suffered just one defeat, which came at the hands of Nottingham Forest.

Reading's home form this season has been nothing short of superb. The Royals have lost just two games at the Madejski Stadium all season.

Despite being free scoring throughout the season, Fulham have a horrible record when it comes to goals in Play-Off matches.

Cairney's goal in the first leg was just their second in five Play-Off matches, and the Cottagers have never scored more than one goal in a single Play-Off game.

Both managers have spoken to their local radios ahead of tomorrow' huge game.

Speaking to Radio Berkshire, Reading boss Jaap Stam said: "Everyone's excited for the second leg, but there's still a game to play against a very good side, even though you've got home advantage.

"We need to be aware of that and they need to score. It's going to be a very interesting game with two very good teams playing against each other, so let's just wait and see what's going to happen."

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic spoke to BBC Radio London. He said:"I'm an optimist, I believe in my players and they believe in themselves and they've shown in the first leg that they play with confidence."

"I'm not scared about the situation, that's football and yes there's potential for a penalty shoot-out, but there's one game in front of us and that's all."

The winners of tomorrow's game will face either Sheffield Wednesday or Huddersfield Town at Wembley, for a place in the Premier League.

http://the72.co.uk/81114/match-preview-reading-vs-fulham/

WhiteJC

Ream: Never Say Die

Tim Ream is backing Fulham to get the job done when we face Reading in the second leg of our Play-Off.

The sides couldn't be separated at Craven Cottage at the weekend and meet again in Berkshire on Tuesday night, with a place at Wembley on offer for the winners.

"It's not the result we wanted," Ream admitted after the first leg. "We didn't play to the best of our abilities, which is tough. 

"But credit to Reading, they came with a game plan and prevented us from playing from the back and really doing what we're good at.

"Credit to our guys too, though. We went a goal down but our attitude all year has been to never say die.

"To then get the goal to even it up, you could tell they were were on the back foot at that point. So to not be able to take the advantage after that is tough, but at least it's all evens going into the second game."

Away goals do not count in the Play-Offs which means the teams begin with a clean slate at the Madejski Stadium

Only champions Newcastle United won more away games than the Whites this season, so Ream is hoping his side can continue that form to book a Final berth.

"We've been the second best away team in the league this year, so we have to go to the Madejski and do what we've done all year," he stated.

"There's no need to panic, there is no need to change anything, it's just a matter of going and doing the business, and doing what we've done all year.

"The guys aren't too up, not too down. Obviously we're disappointed with the result but it may as well be 0-0 going into the second leg, and I think everyone inside the changing room fancies our chances."

Despite Fulham finishing the regular season in sixth place, a number of bookmakers made us favourites to win the Play-Offs.

Ream believes that was due to the slick attacking style the team have produced on many occasions, and he's comfortable with the pressure that comes with it.

"The Play-Offs are a different animal," he explained. "The intensity is amped up so you have to adjust to that, you have to deal with that.

"We have to deal with that in our own way, the added pressure and the hype that has been put on us because of the style of play and the goals that we score.

"We are good at the passing and the possession so we have to find a way to implement that more than we did on Saturday, and I have every confidence that the guys in the team will be able to do that.

"Luckily for us the boys inside the changing room are pretty even keeled. We're not too up, we're not too down, and we'll go on to Tuesday and do our thing."

Ream's form alongside Tomas Kalas at the heart of defence has been excellent in 2016/17, and a booming "REEEEEAM" can often be heard bellowed from the terraces when the American is in possession.

"There's not much you can do with my name as it's so short!" Ream smiled. "But yeah it's nice.

"It's great to hear the Hammersmith End behind us defenders, and to hear it ring out after doing something well is nice to hear and it gives you a bit of a boost."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/may/15/tim-ream-reading-reaction

WhiteJC

Reading vs Fulham Preview: Three Questions with The Tilehurst End
This could be the last three questions of the season, let's hope for one more.

Our friends over at The Tilehurst End stopped by to answer our questions about Reading. They had a much different view of the game than we did, and that's why we do these things. It's good to get an idea of what the other side thinks and not just live in our own bubble.

Cottagers Confidential: First let's talk about the ref. I felt he was slow to take control of the game (which probably helped lead to the red card). You could argue that he missed a penalty each way. There were probably two fouls and a handball in the lead up to Reading's goal. And Scott Malone could have been sent off with a second yellow. Was it just bad from my perspective, or did you find it awful as well?

The Tilehurst End: I don't think it was Mr Attwell's best game (his best game was giving us the 'ghost goal' against Watford...) However I don't think he was particularly favourable to either side on Saturday, both sets of fans had moments we probably feel he got wrong and there was a general inconsistency that always winds the fans up. However, I don't think it was any markedly different from the usual refereeing standards you get in the Championship. It didn't really stand out as being a particularly awful performance, nor was it a fabulous one either.

Could a few Reading players have gone in the book early? Maybe, yet I could say the same about a few Fulham challenges as well. For the sake of the game it was good the yellows weren't dished out too early, although I think it's the first time I've ever seen a booking handed out during a first-half corner for 'time wasting'.

CC: Paul McShane is going to miss the next match. How big of an effect is that going to have? Can Reading play a back three without him?

TTE: A couple of months ago I'd have said it was a really big blow, yet that was only Paul's second game back in the side since early March, so we've found ways to win without him.

I imagine you'll see Liam Moore with Tyler Blackett and one of Joey van den Berg or Tiago Ilori in the defence on Tuesday night. The bigger blow is Jordan Obita who had an exceptional game on Saturday but went off with an ankle injury after the full-time whistle. If he's not fit then it'll be one of Ilori or Blackett at left-back.

CC: You have to be happy with the result, but I can't feel you're very happy with the performance. You're not going to win many games if you are out shot 12-3. What do you feel the team needs to do to win in the second leg?

TTE: I totally disagree with you. The whole narrative in the build up, especially from Fulham fans, was how superior you were to us in terms of creating chances, keeping the ball and scoring goals, which statistically, especially for us on the road this season, was fair.

With that, and more importantly, on the basis of 2 1/2 games we'd played each other before Saturday, I think you'd have been utterly bonkers to go to Craven Cottage and try and impose our usual style of play. Stam had to find a way to get back to the Madejski with the tie in a winnable state and his plan worked perfectly.

Perhaps this is where our play-off experience as fans comes in to play but I really couldn't care less how we got the result, as long as we got a result.

Does anyone remember Derby's fantastic team skills and lovely football in their run to the 2014 final? No, you remember Bobby Zamora smashing it home in the last minute for 10 man QPR. What about Hull's win in 2008? It's Windass with the winner. Heck, what about your own relegation great escape at our expense in 2008, did you really care how you got that win at Portsmouth, or was Danny Murphy's winner all that mattered?

The play-offs are about beg, borrowing or stealing a result, it doesn't matter how you perform as long as you get the job done. Would I have liked to see Reading outshoot Fulham 12-3? Of course! Does it make one bit of difference to the 1-1 scoreline?

No.

I was at the Cottage on Saturday and witnessed one of the most gutsy, hard working and dedicated performances I've seen in 22 years as a fan. I couldn't have been prouder with the commitment every one of those 14 men in weird yellow/green on the day and it felt like a proper old fashioned game of football. It's like a big old greasy pizza, sure it's not good if you eat it every day but if you enjoy it once in a while it can be very satisfying.

As for the second leg, I have no idea how Stam will play it. Fitness is going to be a big concern but I'd expect us to try and keep it tight and try to make you come on to us, rather than press high and get caught on the counter. Maybe Liam Kelly comes in for John Swift to provide a little more creativity, perhaps Beerens for Grabban, but overall I'd expect roughly the same style.

CC: Predicted Lineup and Score?

TTE: Prediction, an optimistic 1-0 win for Reading.

Lineup: Al-Habsi, Gunter, Blackett, Ilori, Moore, van den Berg, Evans, Williams, Kelly, Beerens, Kermorgant.

http://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2017/5/15/15641140/reading-fulham-preview-three-questions-the-tilehurst-end-2017-championship-playoffs

WhiteJC

Reading FC star Danny Williams: We're not thinking about penalties

The play-off semi-final second leg against Fulham could go all the way on Tuesday night

Midfielder Danny Williams has admitted Reading FC are not thinking about going to a penalty shoot-out on Tuesday night.

Royals take on Fulham in the second leg of the play-off semi-final.

The two teams drew 1-1 at Craven Cottage on Saturday, leaving the tie in the balance.

The match could go to extra time and penalties should the result be all square after 90 minutes once again.

But Williams says the club isn't thinking about a shoot-out just yet.

Speaking after the 1-1 draw, he said: "We've shown at home we can win against any team.

"It will be tough and we know that but we're looking forward to the game.

"If it goes to penalties that makes it even more fun.

"That's what the fans want to see.

"I don't know if it comes down to luck or who is cooler.

"We haven't practised them yet but we're not really thinking about penalties."

It's a quick turn-around for both teams as they bid to reach Wembley.

Royals have been written off by many but continue to defy the odds and have set themselves up nicely for the second leg.

Williams added: "We said it before it's like three cup finals.

"There was a lot of talk going into the first leg about who were favourites but I've said it before, we have already overachieved this season.

"There is no pressure on us. If you told the fans we would finish in the top six, third actually then they wouldn't have believed you.

"I would say the pressure was on Fulham. We knew we had to work very hard like every game in the Championship to get a result and that's what we did.

"I think I prefer a 1-1 to winning 1-0 [in the first leg] because there is a tendency to lay back a bit.

"But it's like every other week in the Championship now where we play on a Saturday and then a Tuesday so it's the same routine.

"The boys are excited for it and I hope everyone else is as well."

Reading will have to do without skipper Paul McShane after he was shown a straight red card at Craven Cottage for a dangerous challenge.

The captain will also miss the final if Reading reach it.

Williams said: "It was a tough and intense game, like the last two years when we've played at Fulham.

"The red card didn't help at the end and I don't know if it was a straight red.

"Macca comes in a bit late but he's come from the front and McDonald goes down.

"He's a smart player, I would have probably done the same.

"The referee got intimidated by the crowd and I think he reached for his pocked first to pull out a yellow card then he spoke to the linesman and gave the red card.

"It was tough but the boys dug in deep and that's a big compliment to them.

"They showed great character again and now it's down to us to make it happen on Tuesday."

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reading-fc-star-danny-williams-13036770