News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

This Summer is very very important and will show our owners true ambition.

Started by Chutney, May 17, 2017, 02:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deeping_white

Couple of players who couldI think could be realistic additions: Kyle Bartley (made noises that he's not staying at Leeds and has 1 yr left on his Swansea deal), Zohore as previously mentioned but is probably going to be quite pricey, Jota who has only a year left on his deal (not sure if the scum would sell their best player to us out of principle), Aiden McGeady (only a year left on his deal with Everton, and was a star player for Preston this season).

Carborundum

Quote from: Deeping_white on May 18, 2017, 07:18:18 PM
Couple of players who couldI think could be realistic additions: Kyle Bartley (made noises that he's not staying at Leeds and has 1 yr left on his Swansea deal), Zohore as previously mentioned but is probably going to be quite pricey, Jota who has only a year left on his deal (not sure if the scum would sell their best player to us out of principle), Aiden McGeady (only a year left on his deal with Everton, and was a star player for Preston this season).
Thats a great list.  Bartley's a proper CB. 

nose

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on May 18, 2017, 05:26:42 PM
Quote from: nose on May 18, 2017, 02:40:31 PM
Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on May 17, 2017, 07:10:05 PM
Not quite sure why Mr. Khan's "ambition" has to come into question again after the season we've just had. We were one decent performance from Wembley that the players just couldn't muster. It happens.

The performance this season is down to the recruitment and development system that paid for and that was put into place by the people that he hired. The performance was down to the manager that he personally went after and got for this club. And the performance was especially down to the players the club was able to bring in or keep in through his personal investment and the financial capabilities of the club his people run.

If you want to understand his ambition, just look at the responsibility he's given his son at the club. I don't believe for a second that he'd allow his son to take such a high profile position if his personal ambition for the club amounted to allowing it to hang around in The Championship. That'd be setting Tony up for failure.

Having said that, I think it's important we do everything to hang on to Cairney, Kalas and Piazon. Hopefully, Sessegnon's head hasn't been turned by all the talk this season and we can make good on a senior contract for him as well. Beyond that, I'd like to see us sign a speedy striker a la Josef Martinez from Torino (now in MLS w Atlanta United, my hometown club). Strong, fast and runs center backs ragged. I think we'll go shopping in Europe for just that. I hope anyway.

If our parachute payments have dried up though, I have my doubts that all that can happen without selling. Anyone know how Jozabed performed back in Spain? Have we managed to keep his value up to help fund the summer? I don't imagine we'll get too much for Sig considering the season that he wound up having.  Do we keep LVC and/or Cauley now that they've both likely added to their own valuations at Burton?

It has been a feature of the season that we have not always seen eye to eye, and I feel sure that it will be no suprise that I do not really agree with what you have said. The squad if you recall was not in place anywhere in time for the start of the season and our manager had a mega rant of an unprecedented nature on radio London concerning the way he was being overruled by inexperienced people such that we were obviously threadbare come 1st september. 

Joca worked magic and had a bit of luck in finding a formula that worked and we avoided injury and suspension so the team was generally settled. But we had no depth to the squad, come december it was clear we had a real chance and a few reinforcements were needed. That didn't happen and was never going to happen and in fact joca would have had, and nearly did have a secondary rant but was passified with an extended contract.

But for the inactivity in January we would now be either in the top two or on our way to wembley. The team were running on empty in the play offs and when we needed to make changes, we brought on piazon (a poor lightweight player that I hope does leave and cannot see why he continues to be bigged up on this MB because I can find nobody else that is impressed!) and Martin (enough said). what we needed were a few proper players on the bench to help the cause.

If the owner had ambition, he would not appointment hios very inexperienced son to be in charge he would get somebody that knows what they are doing and have his son understudy that for a few years. Having his son is nice and encouraging but not what is needed and certainly speaks of indulgence not ambition.

When MAF joined he brought in the best profesionals he could to take us to the top and it showed, immediately. Our new owner, mabe more of a gentleman ad speak more nicely but failed to insist we improve the squad in January.

If players leave, sobeit that is part of the game and I would not critisise for that.

If, and it is a big if, we actually put in palce a proper squad, with enough quality and depth by say 1st august, then I will be happy to say my pessimism was unfounded. But if we are still scrambling round in late august for the odd loan or panic buy then that will signal more of the same and we should all worry that Joca's familly are living in spain and that may seem a better option for him.

As I say we often do not see eye to eye, and I truely cannot see where your confidence or satisfaction at where we are springs from. My dispair is borne out of missing such a wonderful opportunity and not doing everything we could, as in all it takes, in january to turn our vast talent and potential into achievement opf promotion.

Thank you for your time.

Yes. You and I have had our differing opinions. And, differing opinions are to be expected over such an emotional topic. Discussions are far more interesting that way anyway.

No one will stop comparing Khan to MAF and I wouldn't ask them to. But, the comparison really is pointless. Different times and different restrictions to running a club (I wonder if FFP factored into MAF's decision making in the end).

One can attribute our overachievement this season solely to Jokanovic "overcoming the obstacles that his boss laid in his path toward promotion this season" if one wants to. It's an opinion. Mine differs from yours. Jokanovic would still be in Israel, or some other club for that matter, if Khan hadn't gone to pluck him out of there. We'd be talking about the certainty of his leaving now if Khan hadn't extended his contract to continue the project toward promotion. And it is a project toward promotion one can rest assured b/c Slavisa would not have stayed if it wasn't.

We do agree on a few things to be sure. We both want the best for the club. I think we both believe that the continuity of keeping Slavisa long term is a good step in that direction. We both would love to have a deeper, more talented roster than we do. I think I differ with many in that I accept that the FFP limitations very much come into play with our club and prevents us getting everything we want where players are concerned.

While you may view Tony's "promotion" as daddy giving his son a new plaything, I still view it in a more positive light. I still say he would not hang his son out to dry by giving him this opportunity w/o also giving him the support needed to succeed. Khan has, seemingly, always provided the funds when asked. I have never seen a comment to the effect that he ever refused to support a need for the club.

Regardless, what was achieved this season was unexpected and wonderful from my point of view, despite the failure at the end. We are primed to be a contender next season, something I'm already excited about. I cannot wait for it to start all over again. Now, if someone at Sky would just fork over the money to televise one of the most competitive leagues in the world.....

the biggest plus for mr khan was getting joca.
the MAF/Khan debate is interesting to me onir attitude is so different and i always fet MAF was a perfect fit. I agree I am not sure that he could do the same now with these rules but I think he would have done better.
regarding the reason for our success this season IMO it was two fold 1. joca is brilliant and I was thrilled we got him, I felt he was the best choice for us based on what he did at watford.  2. we were massively lucky not to suffer a major injury crisis or lots of suspensions and as such joca had a small settled squad that got into a wonderful rythmn.
that was what I was saying in january/february. i felt sooner or later our luck would run out in that respect  but in the end it didn't. so that was brilliant. but like in macdonald's team a squad that was too small ended up taking its toll, they looked stale and jaded at times and when we lost against wolves ad drew with blackburn we were wobbling as a result with no suitable reinforcements.

i actually think we agree on far more stuff than disagree but one thing is i do see tony khan as an extremely positive thing for the long run, i did say  that at the time. but what we need now IMO is somebody properly experienced (don't ask me who) to be in charge and tony to understudy that, look and learn. it is timing not the action itself.

I do really worry the owner doesn't show up, it shows lack of leadership and that is not good. MJG used to have a real go at me for repeating this but it is the first rule of leadership to be visible to the troops and supporters. mountbatten did just that before leading his men into war, he was accesible and visible, it really does matter.

and with all that, if the owner backs joca in the next window then the sky really could be the limit

enjoy the summer

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: nose on May 18, 2017, 09:05:01 PM
Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on May 18, 2017, 05:26:42 PM
Quote from: nose on May 18, 2017, 02:40:31 PM
Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on May 17, 2017, 07:10:05 PM
Not quite sure why Mr. Khan's "ambition" has to come into question again after the season we've just had. We were one decent performance from Wembley that the players just couldn't muster. It happens.

The performance this season is down to the recruitment and development system that paid for and that was put into place by the people that he hired. The performance was down to the manager that he personally went after and got for this club. And the performance was especially down to the players the club was able to bring in or keep in through his personal investment and the financial capabilities of the club his people run.

If you want to understand his ambition, just look at the responsibility he's given his son at the club. I don't believe for a second that he'd allow his son to take such a high profile position if his personal ambition for the club amounted to allowing it to hang around in The Championship. That'd be setting Tony up for failure.

Having said that, I think it's important we do everything to hang on to Cairney, Kalas and Piazon. Hopefully, Sessegnon's head hasn't been turned by all the talk this season and we can make good on a senior contract for him as well. Beyond that, I'd like to see us sign a speedy striker a la Josef Martinez from Torino (now in MLS w Atlanta United, my hometown club). Strong, fast and runs center backs ragged. I think we'll go shopping in Europe for just that. I hope anyway.

If our parachute payments have dried up though, I have my doubts that all that can happen without selling. Anyone know how Jozabed performed back in Spain? Have we managed to keep his value up to help fund the summer? I don't imagine we'll get too much for Sig considering the season that he wound up having.  Do we keep LVC and/or Cauley now that they've both likely added to their own valuations at Burton?

It has been a feature of the season that we have not always seen eye to eye, and I feel sure that it will be no suprise that I do not really agree with what you have said. The squad if you recall was not in place anywhere in time for the start of the season and our manager had a mega rant of an unprecedented nature on radio London concerning the way he was being overruled by inexperienced people such that we were obviously threadbare come 1st september. 

Joca worked magic and had a bit of luck in finding a formula that worked and we avoided injury and suspension so the team was generally settled. But we had no depth to the squad, come december it was clear we had a real chance and a few reinforcements were needed. That didn't happen and was never going to happen and in fact joca would have had, and nearly did have a secondary rant but was passified with an extended contract.

But for the inactivity in January we would now be either in the top two or on our way to wembley. The team were running on empty in the play offs and when we needed to make changes, we brought on piazon (a poor lightweight player that I hope does leave and cannot see why he continues to be bigged up on this MB because I can find nobody else that is impressed!) and Martin (enough said). what we needed were a few proper players on the bench to help the cause.

If the owner had ambition, he would not appointment hios very inexperienced son to be in charge he would get somebody that knows what they are doing and have his son understudy that for a few years. Having his son is nice and encouraging but not what is needed and certainly speaks of indulgence not ambition.

When MAF joined he brought in the best profesionals he could to take us to the top and it showed, immediately. Our new owner, mabe more of a gentleman ad speak more nicely but failed to insist we improve the squad in January.

If players leave, sobeit that is part of the game and I would not critisise for that.

If, and it is a big if, we actually put in palce a proper squad, with enough quality and depth by say 1st august, then I will be happy to say my pessimism was unfounded. But if we are still scrambling round in late august for the odd loan or panic buy then that will signal more of the same and we should all worry that Joca's familly are living in spain and that may seem a better option for him.

As I say we often do not see eye to eye, and I truely cannot see where your confidence or satisfaction at where we are springs from. My dispair is borne out of missing such a wonderful opportunity and not doing everything we could, as in all it takes, in january to turn our vast talent and potential into achievement opf promotion.

Thank you for your time.

Yes. You and I have had our differing opinions. And, differing opinions are to be expected over such an emotional topic. Discussions are far more interesting that way anyway.

No one will stop comparing Khan to MAF and I wouldn't ask them to. But, the comparison really is pointless. Different times and different restrictions to running a club (I wonder if FFP factored into MAF's decision making in the end).

One can attribute our overachievement this season solely to Jokanovic "overcoming the obstacles that his boss laid in his path toward promotion this season" if one wants to. It's an opinion. Mine differs from yours. Jokanovic would still be in Israel, or some other club for that matter, if Khan hadn't gone to pluck him out of there. We'd be talking about the certainty of his leaving now if Khan hadn't extended his contract to continue the project toward promotion. And it is a project toward promotion one can rest assured b/c Slavisa would not have stayed if it wasn't.

We do agree on a few things to be sure. We both want the best for the club. I think we both believe that the continuity of keeping Slavisa long term is a good step in that direction. We both would love to have a deeper, more talented roster than we do. I think I differ with many in that I accept that the FFP limitations very much come into play with our club and prevents us getting everything we want where players are concerned.

While you may view Tony's "promotion" as daddy giving his son a new plaything, I still view it in a more positive light. I still say he would not hang his son out to dry by giving him this opportunity w/o also giving him the support needed to succeed. Khan has, seemingly, always provided the funds when asked. I have never seen a comment to the effect that he ever refused to support a need for the club.

Regardless, what was achieved this season was unexpected and wonderful from my point of view, despite the failure at the end. We are primed to be a contender next season, something I'm already excited about. I cannot wait for it to start all over again. Now, if someone at Sky would just fork over the money to televise one of the most competitive leagues in the world.....

the biggest plus for mr khan was getting joca.
the MAF/Khan debate is interesting to me onir attitude is so different and i always fet MAF was a perfect fit. I agree I am not sure that he could do the same now with these rules but I think he would have done better.
regarding the reason for our success this season IMO it was two fold 1. joca is brilliant and I was thrilled we got him, I felt he was the best choice for us based on what he did at watford.  2. we were massively lucky not to suffer a major injury crisis or lots of suspensions and as such joca had a small settled squad that got into a wonderful rythmn.
that was what I was saying in january/february. i felt sooner or later our luck would run out in that respect  but in the end it didn't. so that was brilliant. but like in macdonald's team a squad that was too small ended up taking its toll, they looked stale and jaded at times and when we lost against wolves ad drew with blackburn we were wobbling as a result with no suitable reinforcements.

i actually think we agree on far more stuff than disagree but one thing is i do see tony khan as an extremely positive thing for the long run, i did say  that at the time. but what we need now IMO is somebody properly experienced (don't ask me who) to be in charge and tony to understudy that, look and learn. it is timing not the action itself.

I do really worry the owner doesn't show up, it shows lack of leadership and that is not good. MJG used to have a real go at me for repeating this but it is the first rule of leadership to be visible to the troops and supporters. mountbatten did just that before leading his men into war, he was accesible and visible, it really does matter.

and with all that, if the owner backs joca in the next window then the sky really could be the limit

enjoy the summer

I neglected to address the incredible luck that we did have with injuries. You're absolutely right. And that feeling of luck alone is a good indicator for the need of quality depth. Depth at the striker seems to be the most popular gripe. I happen to believe that we were lucky not to lose McDonald for any lengthy period nor Malone for that matter. Petsos, I reckon would have been a natural replacement for McDonald and either was not up to the task or Slavisa preferred not to monkey with a good thing this season. And, I believe having Malone healthy, basically, all season was of great importance to Sessegnon's development and confidence, allowing him to spell Malone without too much pressure to be "the next Bale" or to play in front of Malone, again, without the pressure.

As to Khan's presence, I'll concede that his presence is a good thing but remind that his business in America is what gives him the ability to fund improvements here. Sort of a double edged sword there. Now that Tony is here more or less full time, I'm far less concerned about it. I do wonder if Mr. Khan isn't here more often than we are aware however. Several times this season it was reported almost after the fact. I thought there were a couple of times this season that his visit was reported on FOF without much fanfare on the official site. I could be wrong about that though. I don't personally believe that it's necessary that he's reported on by the club for every visit. Perhaps the club doesn't either. I do get your meaning though.

Mostly, I just find it odd that people are still questioning that he wants the best for the club or that he wants the club in the PL. Why else buy the thing? I think he's learned some hard lessons during his tenure and the club has suffered them right along with him but I don't believe those failures were because he lacked ambition. We are finally trending in the direction that everyone wants. I hope that is because he finally has the right people in place and because he and Tony have a better understanding of the business of football.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude