News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR....now Rooney's out, which other English players....

Started by vagrant, May 25, 2017, 01:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vagrant

So many different opinions on this, but now Rooney's England career seems to be over, I was wondering which other English players won far more caps than they should have done.
I'll give you two. Firstly Peter Stilton, who I never saw get near a penalty let alone save one, and John Barnes, who I always thought his shirt over a corner flag would give the team more effort.
Only my views.....feel free to comment.

AlexW132

Emile Heskey... how he went to South Africa is beyond me.  62 games, 7 goals, for a striker. Shaun Wright-Phillips is up there too at 36 caps, somehow.

gang

Quote from: vagrant on May 25, 2017, 01:18:19 PM
So many different opinions on this, but now Rooney's England career seems to be over, I was wondering which other English players won far more caps than they should have done.
I'll give you two. Firstly Peter Stilton, who I never saw get near a penalty let alone save one, and John Barnes, who I always thought his shirt over a corner flag would give the team more effort.

I agree with Barnes but Shilton was an excellent keeper, when he played penalties were harder to save because the keeper had to stand still until the ball was kicked.

dannyboi-ffc

Don't get the criticism of Rooney to be honest. He never did it in tournaments but I can't think of a player over his career that deserved to take his place. Sure he doesn't deserve any more caps as his career comes to an end but imo he deserves the 100 odd caps as much as Lampard and Gerrard do.

Phil Neville and Downing come to mind.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

cmg

Quote from: vagrant on May 25, 2017, 01:18:19 PM

I'll cheerfully comment on Shilton as I have always thought that, although he broke the caps record, he should, in fact have won MORE caps.
He was a superb keeper for twenty years. For some of that time England had the, in my view, misguided policy of alternating caps between Shilton and Ray Clemence, a fine keeper but (again, imo) inferior to Shilton.
Shilton, it is true, didn't save many penalties. He stopped one for England - against Andi Breheme, one of the great penalty takers.

Woolly Mammoth

I agree about Barnes who used to sweat more in that energy drinks advert he used advertise on the box. Shame he didn't drink more of it himself.
I also thought David Beckham picked up a few too many towards the end of his career.
There were certainly a few players I thought got picked more because of the club they were playing for at the time.
Off the top of my head I cannot think of any others.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

bog

Our own Johnny Haynes should have had more caps. After he came back following his car crash he was not given one chance by Ramsey to stake a claim for the '66 squad. Not one game. He was really playing well.

092.gif