watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Moyes resigns

Started by Nero, May 22, 2017, 06:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nero

Sunderland manager David Moyes has resigned following the club's relegation from the Premier League.

The end of the Black Cats' 10-year stay in the top flight was confirmed when they lost to Bournemouth last month.

Moyes, 54, informed chairman Ellis Short of his decision to step down at a meeting in London on Monday.

"I wish the players and my successor well in their efforts towards promotion back to the Premier League," said Moyes.

Former Everton and Manchester United boss Moyes took charge in July last year, after Sam Allardyce left to become England manager.

Sunderland finished bottom of the table this season with 24 points, having won only six games.

"I pursued the services of David Moyes for a considerable period prior to his appointment last summer, which makes the announcement of his departure difficult for everyone concerned," said owner Short.

He said that Moyes was not taking compensation for his departure, calling it a "testament to his character".

"In the days ahead we will take some time for reflection, and then focus on recruitment and pre-season as we prepare for our Championship campaign. We wish David well in the future," added Short.

The Scot had faced calls from Sunderland fans to quit and initially said it was "too soon" to commit to the club following relegation.

However, earlier this month he suggested he would stay with the club in the Championship next season, saying: "I know what needs to be done to get back in the Premier League."

Chelsea worthy champions - Moyes
In a club statement on Monday, Moyes said: "I would like to thank Ellis Short and the Board for giving me the opportunity to manage Sunderland and the fans for always being so passionately supportive of their club."

This is the first time Moyes has been relegated as a manager, having warned supporters just two games into the season that his squad would struggle.

Analysis

BBC Sport chief football writer Phil McNulty

David Moyes' departure from Sunderland after a desperate season ended in relegation carried an air of inevitability - and it is only a minor blessing for the Black Cats that the decision has been taken so quickly after its conclusion.

It is a sign of how his stock has fallen that since he was awarded a six-year contract to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United in 2013 he has been sacked at Old Trafford, again at Spanish side Real Sociedad and now has a relegation and resignation on his CV at Sunderland.

And there are still two years left on that original Manchester United contract.

Moyes looked a solid appointment in succession to Sam Allardyce but set the negative tone he adopted for the entire campaign when he flagged up a relegation fight after only two games.

Sunderland's football was drab and draped in defeat. The only shining lights were leading scorer Jermain Defoe and promising young goalkeeper Jordan Pickford - who now look certain to follow Moyes out of the door.

Moyes made some defiant noises about taking charge of Sunderland in the Championship but in the end his unpopularity with fans who had suffered all season, plus the embarrassment of relegation, left him with nowhere to go but away from Wearside.

Will he ever work again?

gang

This is a classic 'the grass isn't always greener situation'.
Should have stayed at Everton but hindsight is always easy.

Burt

Difficult to see what next for him... Will be interesting to see where he turns up next.

Fair play though in terms of his dignified exit from Sunderland - he didn't cling on and wait for the inevitable sack and pay-off.

cookieg

Everywhere he has been since Everton he has failed. He'll be lucky to get another job unless he drops down to the championship or div 1.

Woolly Mammoth

I never rated old Cods Eyes, he will probably end up where he came from, on a fishmongers slab in Grimsby. 🐠🐟🐬🦈🐋
I do not think he is the nicest of people. Glad he didnt come here, as some people suggested, his man management is not something to be desired.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

aaronmcguigan

Why has the official statement included the fact that he has resigned without compensation?
Surely if you quit, you don't get any compensation as it's your own choice? Is this implying he's walked before he was sacked?

He'll get another job , he's part of that merrygoround a la Warnock, Holloway, Pearson et al. He didn't seem to motivate the team when they were at the bottom which is exactly what Allardyce and Advocaat etc have done.
The absolute biggest crime was selling your best player, van Aanholt, and reinvesting it in absolute rubbish, ie Gibson and Oviedo for 7.5m and Love/ McNair for 5.5m
Adding that to Djilobodji for 8m, Ndong for 13m, an absolute waste of money, and it's well known the financial restrictions from the owner, and these guys get brought in for those prices ???
They deserve to be relegated, he deserves to be unemployed, and it's gonna take one hell of an appointment to turn it around. Kevin Phillips is the favourite and without money he will struggle, and won't be backed, it's the least the club deserve

toshes mate

Quote from: Nero on May 22, 2017, 06:28:38 PM
Moyes looked a solid appointment in succession to Sam Allardyce but set the negative tone he adopted for the entire campaign when he flagged up a relegation fight after only two games.

Its is never a wise thing to be negative about the very players and staff that will keep you in employment.  If he really felt that way he should have gone much, much sooner.

Keynsham

Isn't anyone else astounded that Sunderland managed 10 years up there?

Luka

To go without compensation suggest's to me that he has done something he really shouldn't have.
They may of just given him the opportunity to resign before he got sacked.
Gross misconduct is normally the reason in these cases.

New Kid on the Block

Perhaps he felt his management and coaching skills were too good to be plied in the Championship.

aaronmcguigan

Taking it at face value, I don't see the whole decent bloke thing.
He's now failed at 3 consecutive jobs, set himself up for a fall with Sunderland when going on about funds, and a relegation battle etc.
Same with signing players who anyone could see wouldn't fight their way out of a paper bag, and only logic was that he worked with them before, like Pienaar, Gibson, Oviedo. The money squandered when there was little or no money to do so was obscene.

Week after week, the negativity and lack of fight which in fairness is the only thing that has kept them up in recent seasons.. it's like everyone him included has sat back and watched this happen. My brother is a Sunderland fan and is livid, most of these views are his.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

To be fair, he did well at Preston and then obviously at Everton. But being the first manager at United after SAF was always going to be a poison chalice IMO. Think that did more damage to his reputation then he lets on. Having said all that though, he doesn't really have a "plan B" and, as someone mentioned, I don't think his man management skills are all that.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Logicalman

Quote from: gang on May 22, 2017, 06:36:52 PM
This is a classic 'the grass isn't always greener situation'.
Should have stayed at Everton but hindsight is always easy.

Totally agree, he was in the right position there, until old red nose came knocking, and turned his head like an academy player!
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

filham

Funny isn't it, a good few years at Everton establishing a sound reputation but now it is hard to think of a suitable club for him.
Would anyone want him to come to Fulham, I think not.